Sign in to follow this  
Cookieeater

Steamworks, add it in or not?

Should Steamworks be implemented into ArmA III?  

489 members have voted

1. 1. Should Steamworks be implemented into ArmA III?

• Yes
    • No

i don't really see any real gain for game such as A3 running via steamworks...maybe i am missing some important point here..

I would much rather have an improved MP screen (it is the only thing that i can see a plus with stw) rather than have steam's

Optional stuff i don't care about, but no way in hell i'd buy a Steam only game. It's like vendor lock-in DRM. Apart from the ridiculous prices they sell their games at (in europe). No more selling games you own etc.. i could go on and on but i won't.

Most of you won't even use the steam version and I doubt that BIS would leave it steam only so for those of you that are whining about no steamworks, you have nothing to worry about anyway. collect (Metaphorical) dust. A couple leaderboards couldn't hurt the game or the community anyway.

SteamWorks, oh god no.

if people want some sort of stats/leaderboard. i bet there will be Bstats for A3 aswell.

so it will be all up to mission makers to include it or not.

i don't really see any real gain for game such as A3 running via steamworks...maybe i am missing some important point here..

That might be the mod integration, like Red Orchestra:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/1280/

Not a huge deal but I think it would be rather convenient if I could just left-click to get the most popular mods like ACE, PR, and CWR and they would stay updated automatically and have their separate server browser. Servers could also use this functionality with HLDS which is available also for Linux.

Also it might better expose to the average gamer how much more value is added to Arma by its mods.

Optional for the Steam-Fanboys ok. But not as a must. This will waste it.

And for the Mod (updating) stuff there are solutions out there.

And for the Mod (updating) stuff there are solutions out there.

Sure. But the thing is if I were a new player:

-I already have Steam and I trust and like it

-I don't know if there are mods for Arma. I guess there must be because I get kicked from some servers but I can't be arsed to search from where to get them or to install them by hand

-I haven't ever even heard about those other solutions and I really wouldn't want to install some unofficial weird software programmed by some dude in his bedroom anyway

Those problematic and [annoying] Steam-ish dependancies are spreading out like an agressive virus nowadays.

'Course they add more functionality, but I personally hate developers when they sign a deal to make their game only available on Valve's platform. It'd be much better to continously keep illusory democracy in virtuality [we're allowed to choose what's better!].

I am sure BIS wouldn't want to make their games totally Steam'd as an independent developer. Such studios clearly understand the value of freedom in your actions and final decisions.

Edited by Inlesco

-I don't know if there are mods for Arma. I guess there must be because I get kicked from some servers but I can't be arsed to search from where to get them or to install them by hand

-I haven't ever even heard about those other solutions and I really wouldn't want to install some unofficial weird software programmed by some dude in his bedroom anyway

If at least you had an idea of what you're talking about. Half the forum is about user made content. Like these multiplayer missions arma downloaded for you so you can play them online...

I suggest you head over to those parts of the forum and get some clues before you judge.

btt:

I bought some games off steam. And I've got to say it's a comfortable way of getting games. But everytime I can't play a game because steam is down, I hate myself for having games tied to steam. I'd rather buy ArmA3 off Sprocket anyhow.

if at least you had an idea of what you're talking about. Half the forum is about user made content. Like these multiplayer missions arma downloaded for you so you can play them online...

I suggest you head over to those parts of the forum and get some clues before you judge.

Yes but you see I haven't even visited this forum, and don't have any interest to. I'm happy playing vanilla but if there were some cool-looking mods I could just install on Steam maybe I'd give them a try and really see what's all the rage.

The guy with a BIS Developer Avatar has spoken.

Lock this thread, please :p

steamworks? no!

i'm worried about this trend of bounding my personal game collection to these new online game distribution services - which could disappear at any moment.

i used to be able to sell my old games (just like i sell any other no longer wanted item i own) but now more and more games are tied to Steam. and because steam want to boost their own greedy profits, they have deliberately created a system where you are unable to sell your old steam games.

to me, this is unacceptable, to be held hostage by Steam. they basically OWN any game that uses the Steam sytem.

SAY NO TO ANYTHING STEAM RELATED.

Celery: You are the man. I didn't notice your post http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1933433&postcount=6 before I posted my last post XD

just about sums up why I detest Steam. And it's GREAT to see a developer looking out for the rights of legal legitimate gamers who have actually purchased their games.

Steam's main line is that they protect the games industry from piracy. It's complete bull because the last Steam game I purchased by accident (Nepoleon Total War) brand new from Amazon I was unable to register. Why? because someone had generated my key and had already been using it online in their own pirate Steam account. It took 4 days of annoying "communication" emails with Steam to get them to release my key from the pirate's account.

When I was FINALLY able to play my legally purchased £30 game, I soon realized that it was very dull and all I wanted to do was sell it. But of course, Steam does not allow you to sell your own legal property.

I can't really believe that gamers tolerate Steam-dictatorship. They punish honest legal gamers and offer nothing apart from silly little avatars and "achivements". lol

I will be buying Arma 3 from steam, but I don't want this "steamworks" thing, statistics are beneath the Arma series.

sinnister: can i ask you why you continue to support a system which infringes on the rights gamers and is basically nothing but a parasite feeding off of game titles without adding any real value to these titles?

is it just selfish lazy convenience that downloading a game from Steam offers?

i really have a difficult time understanding why gamers continue to support this distribution model.

sinnister: can i ask you why you continue to support a system which infringes on the rights gamers and is basically nothing but a parasite feeding off of game titles without adding any real value to these titles?

is it just selfish lazy convenience that downloading a game from Steam offers?

i really have a difficult time understanding why gamers continue to support this distribution model.

Because it's convenient for some... You have all your purchased games in one place and you can download them on another computer if you happen to be away from home (let's say in another country). It also adds that "social" aspect due to the integration of chat,groups,etc...

P.S. Did you know BIS is still in business because of digital distribution? Marek Spanel said it himslef :)

Edited by Maio
Damn lemon sauce...

maionaze: yes, i guess it is just convenience. we tend to tolerate a lot of things in the name of convenience.

don't get me wrong, i have nothing against digital distribution. i love the idea of buying games and downloading them directly from the developer's server, or some dedicated digital distribution server. the devs get more monies, i get my game faster and everyone's happy :) they give me my license key and i can sell it on when i'm bored of the game.

but Steam's t&c are just unacceptable to me and i have a feeling they will get worse the more they become the standard way to distribute games.

but that's probably me just being an old fart scared of change and progress in the game industry ;)

BIS is never going to break out of the current MP situation (largely worthless public servers vs. elite private groups) without borrowing someone else's MP infrastructure. They need the expertise from somewhere.