Sign in to follow this  
enad

ArmA 3 on Steamworks?

Will you buy Arma 3 (Steam exclusive)  

433 members have voted

1. 1. Will you buy Arma 3 (Steam exclusive)

• Yes
    • No

Exactly. WaitUntil {(Pun intended)} ... an admin/mod or w/e has a bad day, an decides to take one of their accounts & games away, for any reason he deems. Like that typeof shit doesn't happen everyday. Out of the millions of users, I think it's a very realistic concern, that this happens atleast a few times a day!

I got steam couple days ago, and bought max payne 3 for the SP. Man what a bunch of hoops to jump through!

It's posts like these that prove all the FUD about Steam arises from being uninformed (You aren't being purposefully ignorant, are you?). The only way you can lose all your games on Steam (in the sense that "hey we disabled your library shortcuts, but all the data is sitting right there still...") is if you pull a chargeback, and that only lasts until the issue is resolved.

I didn't know clicking buy and letting a game download was a bunch of hoops to jump through either :rolleyes:

Exactly. WaitUntil {(Pun intended)} ... an admin/mod or w/e has a bad day, an decides to take one of their accounts & games away, for any reason he deems. Like that typeof shit doesn't happen everyday. Out of the millions of users, I think it's a very realistic concern, that this happens atleast a few times a day!

I got steam couple days ago, and bought max payne 3 for the SP. Man what a bunch of hoops to jump through!

This has never ever happened with steam, and if it did happen you would have grounds to sue VALVe.

Most of the problems I see that this community have with steam all come from complete and utter ignorance of it and how it works. I can't believe that some people are planning to not buy ArmA 3 purely because it has steam, in some cases its just because they don't use steam. I have had steam running on every computer I have owned non stop for the past ~9 years and have never experienced any of the problems people here have claimed, or know anyone who has suffered those problems.

This has never ever happened with steam, and if it did happen you would have grounds to sue VALVe.

Most of the problems I see that this community have with steam all come from complete and utter ignorance of it and how it works. I can't believe that some people are planning to not buy ArmA 3 purely because it has steam, in some cases its just because they don't use steam. I have had steam running on every computer I have owned non stop for the past ~9 years and have never experienced any of the problems people here have claimed, or know anyone who has suffered those problems.

Put your hands on your ears, close your eyes, and repeatidly yell: "steam is bad". Instead of actually trying it out.

I also find it weird that the "problems" these users experience with Steam... it has never happened to me with my 8 year experience with it on several computers.

I think most people are more worried about the legality issues. Such as "I won't be able to resell my games!" "Steam can cancel my account anytime they want!" "I won't own my games if I use Steam!" But that discussion is for another thread.

I have never had serious problems with Steam that have turned me off from it. If Bohemia's going to play this way, people are going to have to out of their little bubbles of hate and prejudice and give it a chance.
I've used Steam myself, for 8 years. That's 8 years without having any problems, or reasons to "hate them".
I've been a Valve and Steam customer for 8 years, as i said earlier. And i've never had any negative experiences with them.
This has never ever happened with steam

[...]

I have had steam running on every computer I have owned non stop for the past ~9 years and have never experienced any of the problems people here have claimed

I also find it weird that the "problems" these users experience with Steam... it has never happened to me with my 8 year experience with it on several computers.

Doesn't this encapsulate Steam fandom just perfectly? Even Origin and Uplay have their loyal fans that operate with the exact same logic.

I've used Steam actively since 2007 and I currently have almost 200 titles in my Steam library, and I haven't personally had much trouble with Steam, except for their shitty attempt at an offline mode. Still that doesn't make me turn a blind eye to problems that others have with Steam, nor want Arma 3 to be Steam-exclusive.

same here, no personal problems with steam, but exclusivity is bad imo.

Now that we know ArmaIII uses Steamworks, there is no chance it will ever be anything else than a Steam exclusive. This whole thread has become pointless and redundant. Not sure why it hasn't been locked yet. There is an Offtopic forum for that kind of discussion.

Edited by dunedain

It's posts like these that prove all the FUD about Steam arises from being uninformed (You aren't being purposefully ignorant, are you?). The only way you can lose all your games on Steam (in the sense that "hey we disabled your library shortcuts, but all the data is sitting right there still...") is if you pull a chargeback, and that only lasts until the issue is resolved.

I didn't know clicking buy and letting a game download was a bunch of hoops to jump through either :rolleyes:

Yeah they already ripped me for 40$. Luckily, I caught the issue while at my bank. I had to contact steam , and spend quite a bit of time, in order to get the 40$ back, else, I'd have never seen that 40$ again. That was the hoop I had to already jump through. Also, steam can take your account and games away for any reason they deem worthy.

Who's posting uninformed "FUD"? :rolleyes: You aren't being purposefully ignorant, are you?

Edited by Iceman77

Yeah they already ripped me for 40$. That was the hoop I had to already jump through... Who's uninformed?

The way you made it sound, you were having issues simply installing a game via Steam.

Yeah they already ripped me for 40$. That was the hoop I had to already jump through... Who's uninformed?

The way you made it sound, you were having issues simply installing a game via Steam.

I still don't understand what the problem was how can steam rip you off, if you already have a game they go out of their way prevent you from double purchasing buying the wrong thing? well plenty of really in your face places to check what you are buying. Please provide something a little more complete to explain how steam complicate the purchase and delivery process.

Also, steam can take your account and games away for any reason they deem worthy...

Good luck with that... Even people who used fake accounts to bypass the regional pricing, buying games from the Russian store to resell them to Europeans via the gift system, only were restricted in their use of the gift service after being caught. A couple of years ago during the Christmas event, when they distributed games and coupons for free, some people started creating hundreds of accounts to exploit the system and make their own market out of it. In a matter of days Valve's stocks for this event were depleted. All these guys got was their extra accounts deleted, and again a suspension from the gift service.

They don't just perma ban people for complaining on their forums, like EA did with Origins.

As for your other complaint no digital stores offer refund unless said game show serious issues with many people. The WarZ for instance, Steam offered refund for anyone who asked for it, while the developer itself refused to refund the keys bought on their own website. They do refund pre-orders if you change your mind before the release though. So it's not just Steam... Moreover in 15 years of PC gaming I never heard of a retail stores which offer refunds after you unboxed your game. You guys are just trying way too hard to blame Steam with problems that have been standard in the industry for many years.

Edited by dunedain

Good luck with that... Even people who used fake accounts to bypass the regional pricing, buying games from the Russian store to resell them to Europeans via the gift system, only were restricted in their use of the gift system after being caught. A couple of years ago during the Christmas event when they distributed games and coupons for free, some people started creating hundreds of accounts to exploit the system and make their own market out of it. In a matter of days Valve's stock for this event was depleated. All these guys got was their extra accounts deleted, and again a suspension from the gift service.

They don't just perma ban people for complaining on their forums, like EA did with Origins...

To be honest I think it is just hard for some people to believe that a large corporation is willing to treat people with respect even when it is all that the corporation has to keep making money, valve are well aware of how well the internet explodes bad press.

This has never been helped by the methods other similar company's have used in the passed ea and ubi for instance (though there is more a case of draconian measures thought up by management to protect them selves from piracy).

Doesn't this encapsulate Steam fandom just perfectly? Even Origin and Uplay have their loyal fans that operate with the exact same logic.

I've used Steam actively since 2007 and I currently have almost 200 titles in my Steam library, and I haven't personally had much trouble with Steam, except for their shitty attempt at an offline mode. Still that doesn't make me turn a blind eye to problems that others have with Steam, nor want Arma 3 to be Steam-exclusive.

I personally have not encountered anyone having any trouble with steam in all the years I have used steam. There might be people out there who have issues with steam but no one I personally know has ever experienced any issue with steam (beyond the crap that was steam friends before they pulled their finger out but I really don't think that counts).

I personally have not encountered anyone having any trouble with steam in all the years I have used steam. There might be people out there who have issues with steam but no one I personally know has ever experienced any issue with steam (beyond the crap that was steam friends before they pulled their finger out but I really don't think that counts).

And that makes Steam perfect for everyone, doesn't it? You and your personal acquaintances do form a reliable cross-section of all gamers in the world, don't you?

Now that we know ArmaIII uses Steamworks, there is no chance it will ever be anything else than a Steam exclusive. This whole thread has become pointless and redundant. Not sure why it hasn't been locked yet. There is an Offtopic forum for that kind of discussion.

Steam exclusive is the wrong phrase here, it appears you will be able to buy it directly from BI or from a store that is not steam exclusive. A game that uses steamworks is not steam exclusive, just as a game that uses GFWL is not GFWL exclusive. I know its a minor detail but it does seem that is some peoples issue with A3 on steam, which is a non issue for that reason.

How so? I said I'd just bought max payne, and that I had to jump through hoops? Which I did.

---------- Post added at 02:55 ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 ----------

I still don't understand what the problem was how can steam rip you off, if you already have a game they go out of their way prevent you from double purchasing buying the wrong thing? well plenty of really in your face places to check what you are buying. Please provide something a little more complete to explain how steam complicate the purchase and delivery process.

What? They took 40$ out of my account. Else, they wouldn't have admitted it and gave me the 40$ back? It's very simple. They, took 40$... from me... the 40$ wasn't there's to take. But ofcourse only after I caught the issue... luckily.

Would you like a copy of my bank statements? :rolleyes: (not!)

Edited by Iceman77

Steam exclusive is the wrong phrase here, it appears you will be able to buy it directly from BI or from a store that is not steam exclusive. A game that uses steamworks is not steam exclusive, just as a game that uses GFWL is not GFWL exclusive. I know its a minor detail but it does seem that is some peoples issue with A3 on steam, which is a non issue for that reason.

A game that can only be installed onto and played on Steam is a Steam-exclusive game.

How so? I said I'd just bought max payne, and that I had to jump through hoops? Which I did.

That's just the way I absorbed what you had said.

And that makes Steam perfect for everyone, doesn't it?

No but its a sign that it works for a large number of people. Then again I have never had any issue (either technical or moral) with any distribution platform, I will install any distribution platform to get a game I want.

I just find it silly that people are planning to not buy a game that they clearly looking forward to over such a small issue. Yes steam does have its downsides (in an ideal world we wouldn't need any sort of DRM but this isn't an ideal world) but it is no where near as bad as some people in this community are making out. Its not even the worst choice, I am sure everyone has experienced the wonderful pleasure of using starforce.

Aside from that it seems the other big issue people have with steam is the steamworks features, which is even stupider as its not all or nothing there are games out there that use one or two features of steamworks (like just the CEG stuff for DRM). I even read one post a few hundred pages back about people being worried about VAC, last I checked VAC only worked on the source engine and one or two other engines (Unreal?).

I agree people should have a choice about how they get their games but it did seem clear from the blog post that they had very little other choice, and as I said its not exactly the most evil option out there.

And one more semi-related thing I will get in here before this thread gets locked (as it should), some of the attitudes on this forum is utterly amazing. Seriously, ArmA being exposed to the wider world via steam won't bring in an invasion of morons like people seem to think. Do people actually belive that people just randomly buy games on steam just to annoy people? Even if it did bring some undesirable people to ArmA, so what? The way some people act like ArmA should be a closed off small community that no one is allowed to join is sickening. It makes everyone who plays ArmA look seriously stuck up (Someone actually used those exact words when telling me why they would not buy ArmA2 despite thinking they would enjoy it).

I apologize to everyone for the minor rant there but I have read a lot of posts in this thread and it has seriously annoyed me. As someone who has played BI games for a very long time (lot longer than I have had a forum account) it is sad to see that the community acts like this.

A game that can only be installed onto and played on Steam is a Steam-exclusive game.

I disagree, steam exclusive to me means that it can only be purchased on Steam but at the end of the day its an issue of semantics.

To be honest I think it is just hard for some people to believe that a large corporation is willing to treat people with respect even when it is all that the corporation has to keep making money, valve are well aware of how well the internet explodes bad press.

Valve isn't a corporation. It's a private company. It doesn't have any shareholders pushing behind for more dividends, unlike EA or Ubisoft. Their goal is still to ensure the perennity of their company, however they have much more freedom in the way they want to do it even if it means lesser profits.

I'm really disappointed they made this game steam exclusive.

I don't want to be dependent on steam and I usually buy my games at gamersgate.com which I find a nice platform.

Also disappointed in the fact they charge money for the alpha and beta version. I expected EA do this this, not BIS. A demo or alpha lite would have been enough for me.

Why do people tolerate this? I wouldn't buy an alpha stage car, boardgame or book either...

I don't want to be dependent on steam and I usually buy my games at gamersgate.com which I find a nice platform.

Also disappointed in the fact they charge money for the alpha and beta version. I expected EA do this this, not BIS. A demo or alpha lite would have been enough for me.

Why do people tolerate this? I wouldn't buy an alpha stage car, boardgame or book either...

So you have an issue with a developer giving away something that is usually kept behind closed doors? Would you rather pre-order it now and get nothing for months and then get an extremely buggy unpolished game with no community support ready?

You're right, it seems some people here are still stuck in the 90's...

You'll still be able to buy it from anywhere once the game is released at full price. Anyway are you seriously complaining that they offer ArmaIII for 25€?

What EA did for BF3 is that they sold a nearly gold version at full price and called it Alpha to avoid bad press...

If you can't even afford 25€ for ArmaIII, and give your feedbacks so the full release may be much more stable and less buggy than ArmaII was and to some extent is still is, that's very cheap. That's very little love you're showing here mate...

Edited by dunedain

Careful with your words here. If you would prefer not to use steam for arma, and if you'd just prefer it to be optional, be prepared for mass criticism. Apparently,your opinions should be that of everyone elses. Even when you present facts to the ultimate fanybois, "like hey they took 40$ from me, and I had to jump through hoops to get my money back", they're in doubt & actually insinuate that they want proof! :icon17:

In short: There's no debating in this thread. You're either riding steams nuts, or simply don't comment because your concerns and even facts aren't valid...