Sign in to follow this  
enad

ArmA 3 on Steamworks?

Will you buy Arma 3 (Steam exclusive)  

433 members have voted

1. 1. Will you buy Arma 3 (Steam exclusive)

• Yes
    • No

BIS? Honesty? You are joking now no? That "Full steam ahead" blog is full of marketing and PR crap without giving any real details. You or me mean nothing to them, we are just numbers generating income. There is no need to be honest with us and really - how do you know what they are telling you about the Steam decision is the truth? Who says that it's not just a lame excuse and the real reason is just "With steam we make even more money out of our customers (and then they can piss off until the next DLC)"

No one knows except those who made the decision, and they will never tell the story to such unimportant people like me and you. Fact.

Because i have spet 10 years + playing and modding there games and enjoying there community engagement and formed an opinion based on it.

I offered you that information much like BIS offered you theres , i guess your problem isnt Steam or ALPHA lite etc , but a lack of confidence or trust in BIS/Steam and indeed its users if your reply to my post is a basis for an opinon .

The only joke is that on the internet, some people have a hard time understanding what another person is saying. Either that or they pretend something else is being said to try and twist things and put their own argument in a better light. I never waste time trying to explain to either for obvious reasons.

You're not aware of the segment that wanted Arma 3 to be Steam-exclusive even before the recent news simply because they happened to buy most of their games on Steam? They showed a truly dumbfounding lack of acknowledgement of any reason why people might prefer some choice in distribution methods.

Indeed I am not aware of that. I can see the logic of wanting all your games on Steam if you happen to like steam, but refusing to acknowledge other people's opinions about it is indeed stupidity. But you said "the average steam fan" which is simply not fair.

So you're absolutely positive that everyone in this thread that has or has had a problem with Steam have gotten their issues fixed and are no longer opposing Steam because of them?
I just choked on all the words you put in my mouth right here. Man, what? I only said what I know and have heard of, which is all anyone should have the nerve to say. I also know that Valve is a respectable company that knows the value of customer loyalty, and they would do their best to resolve issues people are having. If bad things have happened like you say (and I'm sure they have) then that's regrettable. But when you run the most popular games platform in the world, you can't have a perfect record.
It's just peculiar that you demand "valid" reasons from those who don't want to be forced to use Steam while those who do want Steam-exclusiveness have pretty shoddy reasons for their stance.
I am not demanding nor have I demanded Steam exclusiveness. I think demanding anything be exclusive to anything is silly. But BIS has given reasons for going with Steam as their release platform. I was criticizing that guy's post for his incredibly flawed analogy. Saying you don't like something without giving any reason for it does not help anything. If you want to give your opinion without justifying it, go vote in a poll. We could sit here all day posting our opinions without backing them up, but we would get nowhere. I could post my reasons for liking Steam, but I doubt you're interested, and it's beside the point.

If the guy doesn't like steam because he had a bad experience, that IS a valid reason, and I would accept that. Refusing to give a reason and thinking that's okay because he doesn't have to give a reason for not being homosexual is just insanity.

A Steam fan is an SUV driver who personally doesn't have any problems with that mode of transport, either technically or pertaining to the environment in which he drives said SUV. He refuses to believe that there is any valid reason why anyone would not want to drive an SUV, and thus he wouldn't mind at all if all the world's vehicles were SUVs regardless whether it would suit someone else's financial status, driving environment or logistical needs. Because he happens to own an SUV and like it.

If that same person happened to live in a place where a big car is very impractical, he would, for some strange reason, suddenly not like SUVs that much anymore and see why all those other people didn't want SUV exclusivity either.

I'm not sure if this is directed at me, but I hope not. I have never said there is no valid reason for not liking steam. I said it's unacceptable to refuse to give one, because the point of discussion and giving your opinion is completely voided if you do not give reasons to back them up.

I think we clearly said: No more pro/cons Steam discussion here? More than once.

There is a thread in Offtopic you can use. It's not that hard to find.

Isn't this mod suggestion still in effect? Cause last posts look a lot like the pro/cons Steam discussion we had the earlier days including the raging.

Please tell me this is a joke. You're seriously equating people who support steam with homosexuality? You're saying that it's okay to not want to use Steam for no valid reason, because it's okay to not like men if you're heterosexual?

Jesus.

If you want to dislike something without feeling the need to give any valid reason why, then you're just wasting everyone's time. Your analogy to sexuality is the most flawed and ridiculous thing I've ever read. Being a heterosexual IS a valid reason to not like men. It's THE valid reason. Not liking something and refusing to give a valid reason is just childish and/or ignorant.

The only joke is that on the internet, some people have a hard time understanding what another person is saying. Either that or they pretend something else is being said to try and twist things and put their own argument in a better light. I never waste time trying to explain to either for obvious reasons.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood your post, but I'm pretty sure I didn't. Maybe what I said in my post is being misunderstood by you. I know you aren't literally equating being a steam fan to homosexuality itself. Just to be clear, I'm not that stupid.

What you're saying is that you don't have to give a valid reason for not liking something on a discussion form. I'm saying this is utter tripe. If you disagree, we can leave it at that.

On the other hand, the average Steam fan's reason for their loyalty and monopoly fantasies is that nothing bad has personally happened to them on Steam regardless of the problems they know other people have encountered.

Exactly. WaitUntil {(Pun intended)} ... an admin/mod or w/e has a bad day, an decides to take one of their accounts & games away, for any reason he deems. Like that typeof shit doesn't happen everyday. Out of the millions of users, I think it's a very realistic concern, that this happens atleast a few times a day!

I got steam couple days ago, and bought max payne 3 for the SP. Man what a bunch of hoops to jump through!

Edited by Iceman77

I'm sorry if I misunderstood your post, but I'm pretty sure I didn't. Maybe what I said in my post is being misunderstood by you. I know you aren't literally equating being a steam fan to homosexuality itself. Just to be clear, I'm not that stupid.

What you're saying is that you don't have to give a valid reason for not liking something on a discussion form. I'm saying this is utter tripe. If you disagree, we can leave it at that.

Guy one loves chicken soup and thinks it`s the best thing ever!...Guy two hates chicken soup and thinks its the worst thing ever!

Guy one says, "why dont you like chicken soup, blah blah blah"...Guy two says, "It tastes like chit and gives me the skits"

Guy three pipes up, " it makes my breath smell funny and i don`t like the taste"

Guy one says "no it doesn`t..ur all stoopid!"

Me? I don`t like chicken soup (or bum seks)...f-kin deal with it!

:p

BIS made the deal with Steam and I don't think that they are able or allowed to release A3 (or A3 Demo) as a real standalone game without Steam/Steamworks. Seems more like this exclusive Steam/Steamworks deal was the last chance for BIS to push A3 at least somehow out....

f-kin deal with it!

And Arma 3 is steam exclusive.

Deal with that. :cool:

BIS made the deal with Steam and I don't think that they are able or allowed to release A3 (or A3 Demo) as a real standalone game without Steam/Steamworks. Seems more like this exclusive Steam/Steamworks deal was the last chance for BIS to push A3 at least somehow out....

In which case they are no more the indie studio they were once but yet another slave receiving orders. Great move BI!

Done. Unfortunately I must say. For me it's impossible to use Steam cause I'm at my parents mercy. Which means no Arma 3 for me even though I already bought a new PC for it after saving money for months.

But lets face it: Even though I'm just a little nobody, BI needs people like me to buy their games in order to survive. But I dont need BI to survive. Such a thinking broke the neck of many companies already. BI might be the next, and I'm no more sure if that would be a bad thing.

Edited by AlekseiGuba

In which case they are no more the indie studio they were once but yet another slave receiving orders. Great move BI!

Done. Unfortunately I must say. For me it's impossible to use Steam cause I'm at my parents mercy. Which means no Arma 3 for me even though I already bought a new PC for it after saving money for months.

But lets face it: Even though I'm just a little nobody, BI needs people like me to buy their games in order to survive. But I dont need BI to survive. Such a thinking broke the neck of many companies already. BI might be the next, and I'm no more sure if that would be a bad thing.

I'm sure you'll be able to get your hands on a no steam version at some point. Just wont be supported.

Your parents will probably allow you to buy the boxed version, which is either an empty box with a steam key in it, or a DVD with gamedata on it which is loaded into steam. ;)

Erm..It`s been dealt with already.

So what`s your point again? Or are you generally just reveling in the fact that some people aren't happy and showing your support for Gabe's pie addiction?

I just found out A3 will be steam only? you gotta be kidden me.... oh boy!

I hate the steam library crap.

I hate the steam library crap.

Download, install, select "Place shortcut on the desktop" and you won't need to open the Steam app ever again.

Functions like out of game serverlists, friendlist can be accessed by right-clicking Steam icon in the tray (bottom right corner of Windows Taskbar).

On the other hand, the average Steam fan's reason for their loyalty and monopoly fantasies is that nothing bad has personally happened to them on Steam regardless of the problems they know other people have encountered.

And the sales.

A lot of it is just Steam buying their loyalty with 5 dollar games they horde and never play.

I actually agree with EA's opinion on Steam pricing

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/06/ea-senior-vp-comments-on-steam-sales-%E2%80%9Ci-just-think-it-cheapens-your-intellectual-property-%E2%80%9D

Hopefully Arma 3 won't be appearing for $5 for even a day, The massive influx of griefers when Arma 2 Free was released was bad enough.

Edited by jblackrupert

EA says a lot of things, I got crysis 2 and DCS A10 on origin for 5,- each.

Steam in the end is just a tool. A tool that BI chose so they can focus on bringing us a better game. How many people have I seen over the years, cursing and blaming Steam only to end up actually using it, even with pleasure after they learned about its various features.

Steam in the end is just a tool. A tool that BI chose so they can focus on bringing us a better game. How many people have I seen over the years, cursing and blaming Steam only to end up actually using it, even with pleasure after they learned about its various features.

I've used Steam myself, for 8 years. That's 8 years without having any problems, or reasons to "hate them". Heck, Steam even made me stop pirating games.

And i'm happy for Bohemia and A3 for this deal! It will only to good for the game and the company.

Edited by Winfernal

I am using the Steam 'big picture' feature on the 'web' setting to have a look at the forum here. As I am completely new to this whole Steam thing, I have to say so far its pretty good. Just linked my youtube, straight forward, just got to put a game on now, that of course will happen this coming week ..;)

Yeah... i don't think you understand. Valve wont give Bohemia any "orders". What do you think this deal is about?

- Patching will get simpler. Both for the devs, and the players. Download, patch and play.

- We have Steamworks, which is genius for mods and modders. And Multiplayer gaming.

- Steam is the best when it comes to digital sales, and distributing games. They've also been using Steam for years already.

- It's simpler for them to avoid piracy. Piracy is the last thing companies like Bohemia deserves. But sadly, people think otherwise. PAY UP.

- Overall, we will get a smoother experience.

I can't see why people would hold this up against Bohemia. They're not trying to harm their customers.

I've been a Valve and Steam customer for 8 years, as i said earlier. And i've never had any negative experiences with them. It would've been something else with EA and Origin, but luckily for us, it's Steam and Valve.

Edited by Winfernal

And the sales.

A lot of it is just Steam buying their loyalty with 5 dollar games they horde and never play.

I actually agree with EA's opinion on Steam pricing

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/06/ea-senior-vp-comments-on-steam-sales-%E2%80%9Ci-just-think-it-cheapens-your-intellectual-property-%E2%80%9D

Hopefully Arma 3 won't be appearing for $5 for even a day, The massive influx of griefers when Arma 2 Free was released was bad enough.

You know that's from June last year right? Which they changed tune and started doing their own sales.

A hypocrite as plain as day - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/18/origin-offering-deep-discounts-on-many-games-er/#more-112592

I believe that Valve only gets a cut when you buy the game from the Steam store.

Steamworks has a host of features and services that support your retail product and any digital copies, wherever they are sold. It’s free. There is no per-copy activation charge or bandwidth fee.

Just some more interesting stuff -

Custom Executable Generation

Custom Executable Generation creates a unique build of your game for each user, making it difficult for any one user to share the game with any other user. Each individual copy of a CEG-protected game is only playable by the Steam account authorized to access it. CEG is transparent, and does not impose limits on users. It lets users access their content from any hardware, and allows unlimited hardware configuration changes without the content becoming unplayable. In fact, no changes are made to a user's computer for CEG to work. Instead, CEG works in tandem with Steam authentication, enabling content access based on user accounts, not arbitrary hardware-based "rights-management" restrictions.

Auto-updating

Be confident that all of your customers are running the most current version of your game. Update and expand your game as you see fit. Your community stays current, and your support burden will be significantly reduced. With no certification process, you're in control. Update as much as you want, with as much as you want—there is no charge for bandwidth.

Real-time sales data

Log on to your personal sales and data tracking site and see your product’s statistics up-to-the-minute. Don’t wait for weeks to find out where and how your game is selling. Real-time, worldwide activation and use reports give you the detail you need to make informed decisions about marketing and retail conditions when they need to be made.

Steamworks supports many of the top indie titles out there…and just a few of them are shown above. As your game grows you can change and add the Steamworks features you need and your customers want. Like some of the best games, Steamworks can start small to fit the needs of your game. Start with something easy like Steam Cloud–saved games or achievements, then see where your game takes you.
Beta-testing

Run secure public betas of your game. Hold public betas and choose from one participant to thousands, if you like. The timing and scope of the beta is up to you.

Rapid and secure build distribution

The same tool that allows us to securely build and share Left 4 Dead between our offices in Seattle and Orange County can be used for your product as well. No more syncing to build trees to playtest. Let your own internal version of Steam help you run more frequent playtests at the click of a button.

Bug reporting

Track most frequent crashes in real time and then triage based on number of unique users. Auto–collection of minidumps and minidump parsing tools to make your job easier. Find and address bugs even before customers contact support.

Installer

Reduce your support costs with Steamworks updatable, proven, and intelligent installer. Your installer can be auto–updated even after delivering a gold master, ensuring that your customers have the best experience from the first time they play your game.

FYI it happened for every BIS game before. It was called a demo.

why not just wait till the actual release until you can play anything? which happened for every BIS game before as well*

Who says there won't be a demo in Q3, when the actual release is planned? how can you expect the functionality of a demo, which happens for every BIS game just before or once it was officially released, while Arma 3 is still in alpha version? Seems to me that you are just pissed that people who actually want to pre order get more functionality then those who have some kind of principle objections to preorders for whatever reason :rolleyes:

So:

1. Do it the old school way as it has always been and wait for the final release in Q3 which probably will feature a demo as well.

2. Do the new approach, pre order the game with a massive discount of almost 50% and on top of that get early access 6 or 7 months before release.

you can agree or disagree with their marketing strategy, and yeah, they try to create an incentive so people will pre order. If the lite version had full access I can imagine there would be less preorders. But nobody is forcing anyone to preorder, for all I care just imagine the release to be in Q3 and that's it. As a bonus, you might get a nice sneak peak without pre ordering using alpha lite (a sneak peak we never got with any previous arma games!), and might get a functional demo as well once the game is actually released.

You can always pick option 1, but don't feel any grudge against the extras people get who choose option 2 :rolleyes:

*TKOH excluded

Edited by zoog