Sign in to follow this  
enad

ArmA 3 on Steamworks?

Will you buy Arma 3 (Steam exclusive)  

433 members have voted

1. 1. Will you buy Arma 3 (Steam exclusive)

• Yes
    • No

May I ask what makes those aspects of Arma 3('s Steam-exclusivity) offtopic in a thread about Arma 3 and its Steam-exclusivity?

My decision would be what makes those aspects of Steam off topic for an Arma 3 thread.

---------- Post added at 15:48 ---------- Previous post was at 15:46 ----------

And so it begins or better ends. Btw, is Communism back in the Czech Republic? I'm asking because it feels like!

You're welcome to share your issues regarding Steam in the appropriate Steam related thread in OT, a moderating decision has been made to keep such Steam/Valve issues out of this thread, please respect that decision.

Does anyone know if the preorder will be available on steam? Right now I can't find anyhing related to ARMA3, and you can only purchase from the BI store on March 5...so how do I preorder, or are they referring to preorder the full game, and get the alpha as well...Just want to make sure i can get it, I want to buy supporter version, want to be one of first 500 :D

---------- Post added at 14:52 ---------- Previous post was at 14:51 ----------

Also will this available at 12:00am March 5? Or will it be a neutral time for all continents?

It's a bit confusing that we're not allowed to discuss Steamworks as a service in a thread about A3 being exclusive on Steam, I'd suggest you rename this thread into some appropriate.

I want to buy supporter version, want to be one of first 500 :D

Supporter edition only from BI store.

Supporter edition only from BI store.

Yeah thanks! Do you know what time the store starts taking orders? I'm on the EST time zone in USA, just want to know late I need to stay up, or how early I need to get up!

What gives you that impression? Why would they completely abandon an increasingly popular MilSim, and one into which they have poured a lot of time, effort, and resources, for niche zombie game? I just can't see the logic behind it.

Agreed, and when you look at it from both a financial and ambition perspective, A3 is far larger than DayZ stand alone. DayZ isn't likely to focus on modability and is polishing an already existing map which is much easier than working a whole new setting. Not to mention DayZ inherits TKOH's lighting system which was shared into late A2 whereas A3 has a revamped visuals. Add in phsyX, render to texture, animation system, AI and tons more, not to mention the new systems clash with the old "tried and true", R&D is required more than ever and as such is much more pricey.. Does the early Alpha help fund the project? Without a doubt, does it mean they abandoned it? Not a chance.

Those of us who have been here a long time, even if just lurking should have seen this coming from past threads debating between one another as to what the best choice for alpha release would be, many people willingly backed up the idea of it being a pay tester situation for the sake of cohesion, only when it was announced as being steam exclusive did things take a turn. I realize that not everyone voted for it, but many did.

Edited by NodUnit

It's a bit confusing that we're not allowed to discuss Steamworks as a service in a thread about A3 being exclusive on Steam, I'd suggest you rename this thread into some appropriate.

Who said you can't discuss Steamworks as a service? That's not what I said:

Discussing the legality, validity, morality etc. of Steam/Valve/Gabe is most certainly off topic to this thread and any Arma related thread, if you must do that then do it in one of the Steam threads in OT please.

I think we can all find a happy medium to discuss what each and every one of you feels the need to discuss about A3 + Steam :)

Almost all EULAs ≈ Steam's EULA

It's a way for companies to protect themselves against consumers taking them to court over every little thing that they can find. Suing them for insane amounts over small details.

I've explained this bit to them, but I get a very sneaking impression, that some just recently came out of the woodworks of OFP, which is a good thing, but they came out of offline SP into a world of interconnectedness. :cool:
You use an Apple or Google product? I'm sure you will find several "unethical" phrases that you have to agree with.
Exactly. Your loss because of a choice you're making. Either move on or get over it. I'm sure Bohemia Interactive's decision to distribute with Steam is set in stone.
A citation would be nice.
Don't worry about me, worry about your own sanity, as you reach Stage 4 of the Kübler-Ross model and eventually find yourself playing ArmA III on Steam.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?138343-Steam-discussion&p=2305765&viewfull=1#post2305765

Does anyone know if the preorder will be available on steam? Right now I can't find anyhing related to ARMA3, and you can only purchase from the BI store on March 5...so how do I preorder, or are they referring to preorder the full game, and get the alpha as well...Just want to make sure i can get it, I want to buy supporter version, want to be one of first 500 :D

---------- Post added at 14:52 ---------- Previous post was at 14:51 ----------

Also will this available at 12:00am March 5? Or will it be a neutral time for all continents?

Presumably we'll get a key to add to Steam if this is like any other Steamworks game's beta.

The thing about it being a Steam exclusive is that you have on one side, the people that for some reason Steam have never worked out for them and the people that love it. And then I guess you could tack on the people who don't mind. It's all going down to a personal choice, either deal with Steam or don't play. I have never had serious problems with Steam that have turned me off from it. If Bohemia's going to play this way, people are going to have to out of their little bubbles of hate and prejudice and give it a chance.

I was stating that if you have an issue with Steam being integrated with ArmA III, move on. I said that I'm sure the decision is set in stone. I said nothing about the "legality, validity, morality etc. of Steam/Valve/Gabe" after Placebo asked us to stop talking about it.

I was stating that if you have an issue with Steam being integrated with ArmA III, move on. I said that I'm sure the decision is set in stone. I said nothing about the "legality, validity, morality etc. of Steam/Valve/Gabe" after Placebo asked us to stop talking about it.

Been playing Arma 2 waiting for the release of Arma 3. Found out from a friend that Steam would be the exclusive mode of buying Arma 3.

So I will be doing exactly what you suggest and moving on. I figure there are plenty of people like myself that don't post here and are pissed to find out this is happening. Not everyone decides they need to frequent a forum just because they like a game.

So as a guess I figure they're going to lose more than just 15% of their market from this based on the numbers seen here and because there is a base of silent gamers out there that don't post here and that wont put up with having third party software run their gaming experience. As far as I'm concerned software such as Steam, Orion and Windows Live should be illegal. If I don't want it then I should be able to opt out of it. Otherwise its stealing personal data of mine without my consent because the only way to play is under duress. Now the developers and third parties become the pirates by way of the very old game of legal plunder.

No thanks.

I'm with you here aileronster. Dropped A2 because of the many bugs and expected that A3 will be a more polished game. Then seen the Steam requirement and the different packages you can purchase and thought "OMG this is even more worse then A2".

I can't understand how this once great company turned that way and forcing people into such a software. Really depressing to see this. But soon the Steam fans will come and tell us that it's all not that bad and we are retards for not using Steam. Look at the past 20 pages or so. Those who care about privacy and customer rights are put down by the massive amount of sheeps who accept everything to play their newest game. Like drug addicts looking for their next trip. That's generation iDontcare - but one day the will pay the price for their ignorance too, of course when its too late.

I think we clearly said: No more pro/cons Steam discussion here? More than once.

There is a thread in Offtopic you can use. It's not that hard to find.

Yes, I will buy it on Steam.

I am also hoping that SteamWorks will enable places that hold events or similar will have a option to put up a page and a click option to install the mods they use with a optional shortcut for desktop. Once Steam is primary I also think most of the Steam issues will go away because they have been only issues because the Steam client has been the secondary one.

Edited by W0lle
Refrain from posting in all bold letters!

Yes, I will buy it on Steam.

I am also hoping that SteamWorks will enable places that hold events or similar will have a option to put up a page and a click option to install the mods they use with a optional shortcut for desktop.

Here's the Steam Community page for ArmA II: Op Arrowhead - http://steamcommunity.com//app/33930 - very vibrant feel. Categories include: Discussions, screenshots, videos, news, announcements, Guides. There's a good chance ArmA III will have 1 more - "Workshop" for mods & missions, something like this -> http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=72850

The blue Store Page button takes you to the game's full description with official screenshots, teasers & trailers, along with its Metacritic score/reviews.

I like the screenshots w/ comments section the most. ;)

P.S. That's for people who are new to Steam, I'm trying to remember where everything is/was myself.

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

I find it hilarious that this thread fell over and died the moment the Alpha release date was announced :V

I find it hilarious that this thread fell over and died the moment the Alpha release date was announced :V

No the thread died because the "moderation" made it clear that further critical discussion is not more allowed but only in a 2 year OffTopic thread where nobody is clearly looking into it.... I guess a lot of people would like to continue discussing but then I guess they would face a ban......Freedom of speech, consumer rights? Screw you. Dont think and apply to the new "rules" or face persecution..... We're clearly moving into a new dark age.....

Edited by Steiner34

This is what caught my eye in the system requirements section on Arma3.com, I'm not sure if this only applies to the Alpha or if it's a typo, but...

"Other: Internet connection and free Steam account to activate."

It does not say "Other: Internet connection and free Steam account to activate and play."

This is what caught my eye in the system requirements section on Arma3.com, I'm not sure if this only applies to the Alpha or if it's a typo, but...

"Other: Internet connection and free Steam account to activate."

It does not say "Other: Internet connection and free Steam account to activate and play."

I suppose that that's supposed to account for Steam offline mode, not least because all of the Alpha Lite versions are stated by DnA to have no multiplayer capability at all, not even LAN.

Those who care about privacy

Why are you on the internet then? As soon as you go on the internet, you've lost your privacy. Your ISP knows where you've been and if somebody wants, they can find out exactly who you are.

I suppose that that's supposed to account for Steam offline mode, not least because all of the Alpha Lite versions are stated by DnA to have no multiplayer capability at all, not even LAN.

pretty ironic, they made it steam exclusive so they only have to make 1 version, then make 2 alpha versions.

pretty ironic, they made it steam exclusive so they only have to make 1 version, then make 2 alpha versions.

Your argument is invalid. I'm not even going to bother tell you why.

Your argument is invalid. I'm not even going to bother tell you why.
Hey now, HKFlash, those two alpha versions are a paid game ("more content later, we promise!") and a single-player demo that lasts for about three months. ;)

...a single-player demo that lasts for about three months. ;)

Three months? They'll be enjoying it till release. :icon_twisted: Or till they see our Alpha gradually, smoothly being upgraded to beta via Steamworks & die of envy.