Sign in to follow this  
enad

ArmA 3 on Steamworks?

Will you buy Arma 3 (Steam exclusive)  

433 members have voted

1. 1. Will you buy Arma 3 (Steam exclusive)

• Yes
    • No

The joys of using steam. Ten minutes only today, till all the updates got initialized and steam gui started being usable.

I wonder who had the bright idea that the update subsystem has higher priority than the gui.

WlOompgl.jpg

That Arma 3 is exclusive steam, you need to have Steam installed or run, is a mistake, there are many users who do not want steam, for different reasons, I think they will lose customers because of this.

Many people prefer a digital copy or a physical copy, but hate steam, there are games that can only be obtained by steam and many people prefer not to have them, to not install steam.

If you want to sell it for steam, do it, but forcing users to install, use, update via Steam is a serious error, the gaming community is not steam.

"devblog says that, if not using steam, There was a very real chance there would be no Arma 3 this year Otherwise."

Well then take your time, I prefer to wait before you force me to use steam. And not only speak of myself, like many people think, in this case I'm talking about me and my community.

Regards

I don't understand.

According to what's been been said here, Steam will put mods in the proper place, there have been many players lost due to the complicated mods & installing them, especially when using more than just 1....lol, most players may have 10 or more running..yet properly, so they enjoy the game+extras.

So I understand why some people are against Steam, especially those who feel that it's becoming a big monopoly and those who want BIS to remain as independent as possible, but can we at least be happy that BIS found a way to make their work more efficient? I mean, there's been much complaining these past few days and I think the point that we're missing is that BIS is choosing to use Steamworks because it's the best decision for them. If we respect BIS as a company and group of employees then I think we can learn to accept Steam.

Think of it as your single mom getting a new boyfriend. You don't have to like him and you could never speak to your mom again, or you can understand that this decision is for the best and learn to live with it. Sure, he's not perfect and there will probably be some issues, but having a companion will help your mom greatly.

Let's just trust that this decision is for the best and try to adjust, okay?

Think of it as your single mom getting a new boyfriend. You don't have to like him and you could never speak to your mom again, or you can understand that this decision is for the best and learn to live with it. Sure, he's not perfect and there will probably be some issues, but having a companion will help your mom greatly.

I've got no problem with my mom getting a new boyfriend but I draw the line in being forced to sleep with him as well. :)

Lol at everyone saying they aren't going to buy this game because of Steam... alright.

See you in-game! :cool:

Edited by RS_SPECTER

That Arma 3 is exclusive steam, you need to have Steam installed or run, is a mistake, there are many users who do not want steam, for different reasons, I think they will lose customers because of this.

Many people prefer a digital copy or a physical copy, but hate steam, there are games that can only be obtained by steam and many people prefer not to have them, to not install steam.

If you want to sell it for steam, do it, but forcing users to install, use, update via Steam is a serious error, the gaming community is not steam.

"devblog says that, if not using steam, There was a very real chance there would be no Arma 3 this year Otherwise."

Well then take your time, I prefer to wait before you force me to use steam. And not only speak of myself, like many people think, in this case I'm talking about me and my community.

Regards

Well I think BIS knew that it wouldn't bode well with the majority of the "core" community. There have been several polls, one that the ceo started himself, making this clear. This leads me to believe that it was indeed a forced decision. I think it was not a matter of releasing the game 2013 vs. 2014 but rather a matter of releasing 2013 and or reconsidering whether arma 3 is even worth pursuing anymore. I agree steam is a poor way to go - it causes tons of shit - but if its the only way then I will take it. What is the worst thing that can happen by buying Arma 3 for 50 bucks off steam?

So I understand why some people are against Steam, especially those who feel that it's becoming a big monopoly and those who want BIS to remain as independent as possible, but can we at least be happy that BIS found a way to make their work more efficient? I mean, there's been much complaining these past few days and I think the point that we're missing is that BIS is choosing to use Steamworks because it's the best decision for them. If we respect BIS as a company and group of employees then I think we can learn to accept Steam.

Let's just trust that this decision is for the best and try to adjust, okay?

Exactly.

To be honest, in the past 2 days I had to take so much crap (even from people I respected) because I refuse to use Steam that more and more I start to consider if this is still the community I want to be part of or if it's not better to say 'screw it' and move on.

I can imagine where your coming from. But do know that at least some of these people are doing it simply because they want you to be apart of A3 as well. Not even just for your great modding but also because you are a huge part of the community. I personally really liked the community as it was and hope it will remain throughout arma 3 steam or not.

btw, from reply 800 I know understand why you are the "moderator out of control":)

Edited by -Coulum-

According to what's been been said here, Steam will put mods in the proper place, there have been many players lost due to the complicated mods & installing them, especially when using more than just 1....lol, most players may have 10 or more running..yet properly, so they enjoy the game+extras.

That's correct.

Think of it as your single mom getting a new boyfriend. You don't have to like him and you could never speak to your mom again, or you can understand that this decision is for the best and learn to live with it.

Things didn't work out so well for my mom's boyfriend - my dad shot him dead. Just saying...

btw, from reply 800 I know understand why you are the "moderator out of control":)

All those moderators - a bit coo coo.

All those moderators - a bit coo coo.

Hey, careful now. :mad:

;)

I could almost be inclined to get Steam and buy Arma2 CO from there, just to see what the Arma2 user experience is like with Steam. One thing I would be especially interested in, is if the Steam client can be turned off (after activation and offline mode) and still allow me to play Arma2.

I mean, having a big app running in the background, which engages in internet activity and spurious downloads on its own is not really my idea of a lean gaming rig.

To whoever it was who said that Maruk's reply was "blatant lies" and even complained about DnA having become project lead four months ago and complaining about TKOH, three words for you: DAN. MUSIL. LEFT.

Well then take your time, I prefer to wait
One more time, let's do this again :rolleyes: the devblog basically implies the option of taking time / letting Arma 3 slip into 2014 came up and that Maruk said "NO". As -Coulum- said, the devblog's words emphasizing 2013 may have been an euphemism for "2013 or simply cut our losses with Arma 3 and cancel it".

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if the Arma 3 devs saw the extent of support that Rocket and his devs were getting from the standalone from Valve and that that influenced the decision to go Steamworks.

Actually I've noticed the amount of severs on Arma 2 increase since DayZ has been out.. and a lot of people have said that after trying dayz they tried the actual game and it's really fun.
I can vouch for having seen "got in through DayZ, but I'm liking Arma 2 as well!" elsewhere as well... and I would have hoped by now that even the "old school" who hate DayZ would have realized by now that Wasteland proves that the new players are not just going to go away when the zombies do. :rolleyes:
people are getting sick of the whole COD clones
People were getting fed up two years ago, and that's what fueled the Battlefield 3 hype... that BF3 ended up not living up to that does not negate "people were already looking for something different".

As far as "DayZ-fueled Arma 2 Steam sales", here's the thing -- the reason that the influx came from Steam probably was because of Steam's sheer visibility and brand dominance in digital distribution (I mean as a "storefront" seller, not in DRM/client) to the point that when people were looking for Arma 2: Combined Operations... their first stop on the search for CO was likely Steam. :p I don't mean "searching for Steam keys for CO" (I believe the BIStore is the only other outlet for those?) but I mean "searching for CO, period"... considering that sheer dominance, why wouldn't Maruk want to leverage that "first place people look" visibility...

... especially when Steamworks can actually be a selling point outside of the BI forums? Like, for example, when a GameStop employee told someone about that and it increased that customer's positive interest in Arma 3? :icon_twisted:

P.S. Everyone complaining about Steam somehow allowing a less mature and less hardcore crowd to play Arma 3 (as if they already couldn't simply by buying Arma 3) should have realized that that battle was lost over half a year ago... y'know, when Jay started saying things like "let's not be afraid of that word, streamlined" and Ivan said that "Operation Flashpoint was a s****y game"...

Edited by Chortles

I've got no problem with my mom getting a new boyfriend but I draw the line in being forced to sleep with him as well. :)

Hah, no one is asking you to sleep with him! :p

He'll just be around your mom a lot, that's all.

I could almost be inclined to get Steam and buy Arma2 CO from there, just to see what the Arma2 user experience is like with Steam. One thing I would be especially interested in, is if the Steam client can be turned off (after activation and offline mode) and still allow me to play Arma2.

I mean, having a big app running in the background, which engages in internet activity and spurious downloads on its own is not really my idea of a lean gaming rig.

If you're sincere and open-minded about this, I'm offering to test this for you. Deal? :D Any specific post-install procedures that you'd like for me to try out with Arma 2 on Steam after the installs?

EDIT: To jumpartist below me: Did you not see the sheer amount of "do you not care about consumer rights like we do here in Europe where the majority of us Arma players come from" (and one complainer outright claiming to believe that they thought that the BI forums are an accurate representation of the playing-Arma-for-Arma player base... ahahaha :rolleyes: ) or "you Steam users should be with US against Steam!" and trying to paraphrase Thomas Jefferson in this thread? ;)

Edited by Chortles

Im not sure what everyone is talking about, I have all the ARMA2 stuff from steam but steam doesn't start when I run ARMA2. I use Six and it NEVER starts steam. Now granted I dont think A3 will be the same way, as We'll have to log into steam to even see the servers right? Not even on my radar as a deal bender. Liek they said it was steam or the Highway. We dont have a choice in the matter. You wanna play ARMA 3? Well, get to downloading Steam. I love when everyone comments like they are on the board of directors.

And man Wolle, post 800 is TOTALLY uncalled for, moderator or not, come on bro.

Except for ArmA2 CO being installed on different folders and having some extra steam related files they are bit for bit identical with its disk counterpart and doesn't require the steam client, so you won't get how steam might effect ArmA3 only how stable/recource demanding is the steam client.

Better you install any of the F2P games, they will show better the steam integration. I recommend Team Fortress 2.

IAnd man Wolle, post 800 is TOTALLY uncalled for, moderator or not, come on bro.

No, no it was. Trust me. People should grow a backbone and a set. Oh yeah, and stop supporting people who put up pointless arguments.

"Lol bro why you all moaning"

- That kind of comment, please do not support.

P.S. The customer is always right.

A-OK.

Edited by Rye

If you're sincere and open-minded about this, I'm offering to test this for you. Deal? :D Any specific post-install procedures that you'd like for me to try out with Arma 2 on Steam after the installs?

Thanks Chortles, :) I'm gonna set up a new PC for one of the kids in a short while so I'll get a chance to try it out then, so don't bother

Thanks Chortles, :) I'm gonna set up a new PC for one of the kids in a short while so I'll get a chance to try it out then, so don't bother
Nah, I already have Arma 2: CO for myself on Steam so it costs me nothing extra (except download time) to try this. You can also take the advice of jumpartist and TonyGrunt first -- just be aware that it's not what you can expect when "Arma 3 on Steamworks" arrives, since as has been pointed out elsewhere, Arma 2 and OA are really not "Steam-integrated" at all... so far it was basically "oh hey you can access the Steam Overlay (i.e. screenshot capture/viewing/deleting/uploading and Steam friends list with text/voice chat) and we'll track how often long you played in total if you launch through Steam"... but as I believe some guides pointed out, the "combining" process is slightly more unwieldy than non-Steam copies' "OA installer will auto-detect your installed Arma 2 directory and select that as the default install directory", which thankfully Steam integration may provide a better solution for if there were ever an Arma 3 standalone expansion.
we simply do not see any other feasible way for our company at the moment than focusing on Steam as the sole platform for Arma 3 and our other upcoming PC games. We are aware of some negative consequences but this the best we can do concerning Arma 3 and games beyond.
Guys... guys? This is the bigger story right here...

If Arma4 requires a chip implanted in your brain, what you gonna do? Accept change, adapt, give me the damn chip so I can play? Yeah most probably people like you would.

You compare a Steam account to a chip implant? Really?! Is it such a problem to make a Steam account? What's even the differece? You can play offline, you can buy a DVD, mods are easier to install and you can play with friends easier. If it's such a problem to make an account on Steam, a service millions use, maybe you should consider moving away from PC gaming... seriously...

BI stated that they couldn't make a 2013 release without this decision. Using Steam will only help BI make a better game and make life easier for us

I think this transition will serve as an useful idiot cull for the community, driving away the insufferables.

Lol at everyone saying they aren't going to buy this game because of Steam... alright.

See you in-game! :cool:

Yeah.. these people have even less reason to boycott than these guys had:

500x_1258035395841.jpg

Edited by Leopardi

Steam will force the install into the Steam folder right? I treat ArmA differently to other games, it gets its own location on a faster drive (SSD). Like my flightsim stuff. Currently I have exactly one other Steam game (Skyrim) so I guess Steam will insist on installing ArmA 3 to the same place?

Steam will force the install into the Steam folder right? I treat ArmA differently to other games, it gets its own location on a faster drive (SSD). Like my flightsim stuff. Currently I have exactly one other Steam game (Skyrim) so I guess Steam will insist on installing ArmA 3 to the same place?

That was the old way steam worked, all new games can have customized drive installs.

Some old games still use the old system. I have my steam library spawned to 3 drives.