Sign in to follow this  
enad

ArmA 3 on Steamworks?

Will you buy Arma 3 (Steam exclusive)  

433 members have voted

1. 1. Will you buy Arma 3 (Steam exclusive)

• Yes
    • No

Steamworks API (all the potential reasons)

Stats & Achievements like I said. Of course to develop something like that all by themselfs would have thrown them back for more than a year. Besides that who needs such features in a game like ArmA? Right, CoD and BF kiddies. The clientele to go for!

Anything else of any relevance which isn't already in the game now? NO!

I understand the 2 sides have valid points and I respect your passion -though I wish something like "will my favorite game be on Steam or not" - would be something I could consider "a problem" or "worst day of my life". :rolleyes:

I wonder how many are firmly in the IDGAF camp such as I -seriously I was pretty sure after that enormous scream of radio silence that Arma3 was literally dead in the water irrespective of the awful Greek situation. Knowing they have an enormous breadwinner with much less overhead ie..no more AI worries (EVER!!!) and a very real possibility of the standalone majorly outselling Arma 3...you get my point.

So at this point, Im just happy to know the freakin thing is gonna be released -how they release it- I just Dont Give a Flute :o

Sure, the ad revenues for the website owner have dropped significantly due to the efficient nature of mod distribution on Workshop, but apart from that - everything's fine & dandy, and Skyrim sold millions of copies and is a Masterpiece of a game. Thank you very much.

Phew!

No problems then at all - except of course the many fan sites like armaholic, armedassault.info etc etc where the owners pay everything from their own money to keep the sites running and hence are relying on revenues to keep the sites. I'm sure they are damn happy to hear that.

I'm sorry to say that, but I highly doubt already that Arma3 will have much in common with OFP, Arma and Arma2. But yeah we all move on, right. All hail Steam! Let's welcome the millions of new players!

The Workshop is actually a huge problem if you would bother to read the comments from addon makers who say that @ Steam no one cares if some Kiddie ehh sorry new player will rip an addon, modifies it and reupload it @ Steam Workshop. But maybe that's wanted by some people, moar addons!!! no matter from where they come.

People are buying a game, its there perogitive if they want to buy a game with a Required third party program. They don't have to give anything a chance. Did you earn the money and give it to them so they could buy the game? Then no one else gets to decide how they spend their money.

I remember those boycott movements for L4D2 and MW2, people bitched and moaned for months for actually legit reasons though. In the end, when those games came out, you could see on the Steam boycott groups the vast majority of them playing their respective boycotted game day one. So much for maturity and principles...

So yeah, I do believe a lot of people react in a very childish way to this news and will eventually buy the game regardless. You're free to do whatever you want with your hard-earned money, nobody is denying that. The drama thingy about you most faithful fans feeling betrayed or spat in the face is pointless though.

Edited by dunedain

I wonder how many are firmly in the IDGAF camp such as I -seriously I was pretty sure after that enormous scream of radio silence that Arma3 was literally dead in the water irrespective of the awful Greek situation. Knowing they have an enormous breadwinner with much less overhead ie..no more AI worries (EVER!!!) and a very real possibility of the standalone majorly outselling Arma 3...you get my point.

I would be interested in seeing a poll "will you drop a3 due to steam". I'd never really considered that arma 3 could possibly be dead, but the way you describe its past does actually make it sound like it could have been a real possibility. Makes me a bit happier that it is even coming out at all.

I understand the 2 sides have valid points and I respect your passion -though I wish something like "will my favorite game be on Steam or not" - would be something I could consider "a problem" or "worst day of my life". :rolleyes:

So at this point, Im just happy to know the freakin thing is gonna be released -how they release it- I just Dont Give a Flute :o

You sir... I like

As far as I know i wouldn't even care if this was on anything as I just want to play the game. Besides sometimes the devs need to take a stand and tell you what's gonna happen because EVERY time i see the opposite happen things go down hill and the BIS is still listening to the community and adding things you want to make you happy. People just need to chill out and remember if it wasn't for BIS there would be no Arma series in the first place so you have absolutely no right to complain and you are not forced to buy the game either, if you were really that upset you'd leave already. You are gonna buy the game and realize, hey this isn't so bad after all.

Steam is a huge community and so the game won't have any fewer players or servers than it would completely off of steam and if anything it will have a mass amount more.

If you mean this one?

http://www.bistudio.com/english/company/developers-blog/356-arma3-steam-dev-blog

Then the answer is yes and now that I'm with it you or maybe a BIS employee or even CEO can answer some questions concerning following points?

How they've a more direct administration of their games without a middle-man? They just put a middle-man in between with that decision! Besides that I don't get the whole point. There actually never was a necessity for a middle-man so far. The whole point is simply far-fetched in my opinion.

Without this choice most of the features wouldn't be available? What did the community do in the last 10 years? Right, put features into the game that weren't available at all. Is there no trust in the community anymore to create what is needed/missing?

Besides that what features are they talking about? If they don't go into detail nobody can understand the reasoning.

I can only guess that they're talking about some reward/achievement system which nobody actually needs in such a game. What other features can Steam/Valve offer them? I'm really interested to hear!

Uh, they meant most of the features they were talking about in the blog post, not what features modders put into the game.

Yew that brocolli looks nasty mom, I aint gonna eat it.

Well timmy you haven't even tried it, and look there is dessert at the end!

No I am not going to eat anything.

Our point of view :

one day) child : Thanks mom for all the food you give me, that's good. Today I'm gonna wash the car and clear the room for you.

mom is happy

second day) child : Thanks mom for all the food you give me,that's delicius and I'm starting loving it. Today I'm gonna wash the car and clear the room for you and I'm gonna do all my homeworks.

mom is happy and decide to make a refined food for the third day but...

at the end of the second day, the mom encounter a chef that offer her an amazing kitchen work.

So the THIRD day the child is excited for the refined food, but the mom , since is late and she is going fast because she have to go to work, end up with burn the refined food she was making for her child.

And she says : Eat that, or don't eat anything.

The child disgusted by the burned refined food ain't ate it.

When someone is going fast for make money, who suffers are always the people that count on them.

Nice drama eh?

(I should make a book ,maybe I just found my real vocation)

P.s. dont take it extremely serious

Edited by Babylonjoke

You sir... I like

As far as I know i wouldn't even care if this was on anything as I just want to play the game. Besides sometimes the devs need to take a stand and tell you what's gonna happen because EVERY time i see the opposite happen things go down hill and the BIS is still listening to the community and adding things you want to make you happy. People just need to chill out and remember if it wasn't for BIS there would be no Arma series in the first place so you have absolutely no right to complain and you are not forced to buy the game either, if you were really that upset you'd leave already. You are gonna buy the game and realize, hey this isn't so bad after all.

Steam is a huge community and so the game won't have any fewer players or servers than it would completely off of steam and if anything it will have a mass amount more.

Love your banner ;) "The Future" - yes.

Also, I'd like to thank BIS for all their hard work and dedication so we can play this awesome simulator.

No problems then at all - except of course the many fan sites like armaholic, armedassault.info etc etc where the owners pay everything from their own money to keep the sites running and hence are relying on revenues to keep the sites. I'm sure they are damn happy to hear that.

I'm sorry to say that, but I highly doubt already that Arma3 will have much in common with OFP, Arma and Arma2. But yeah we all move on, right. All hail Steam! Let's welcome the millions of new players!

The Workshop is actually a huge problem if you would bother to read the comments from addon makers who say that @ Steam no one cares if some Kiddie ehh sorry new player will rip an addon, modifies it and reupload it @ Steam Workshop. But maybe that's wanted by some people, moar addons!!! no matter from where they come.

I am pretty upset as well. I do not agree with the steam stuff. But really what is whining about it going to do? Its done already. Should we not be discussing new ways for stuff like armaholic to survive, and how we can make it so Addon makers can have their proper rights on steam instead? Maybe its just me, but all the talking on here seems very negative and assumes the "I give up and whine attitude" rather than the "lets push through this and try to shape the bad stuff as best we can to benefit the series we all love...."

I know its hokey, but, Survive Adapt Win.

Yeah sure, because of Arma3 Valve/Steam all of the sudden cares about copyright infringement at their "Steam Workshop". Of course, and tomorrow is xmas.

Our point of view :

one day) child : Thanks mom for all the food you give me, that's good. Today I'm gonna wash the car and clear the room for you.

mom is happy

second day) child : Thanks mom for all the food you give me,that's delicius and I'm starting loving it. Today I'm gonna wash the car and clear the room for you and I'm gonna do all my homeworks.

mom is happy and decide to make a refined food for the third day but...

at the end of the second day, the mom encounter a chef that offer her an amazing kitchen work.

So the THIRD day, the mom , since is late and she is going fast because she have to go to work, she end up to with burn the refined food she was making for her child.

And she says : Eat that, or don't eat anything.

The child disgusted by the burned refined food ain't ate it.

When someone is going fast for make money, who suffers are always the people that count on them.

Nice drama eh?

(I should make a book ,maybe I just found my real vocation)

I love the analogy and I can understand how you guys can feel betrayed by BIS. But in your analogy you forgot that the mother should also be offering the kid dessert after the shitty food. Because even though it will now be a requirement to have steam for arma 3 (shitty), we still will be getting arma 3 which is still most likely to be the game we love to play.

Uh, they meant most of the features they were talking about in the blog post, not what features modders put into the game.

Come on and name at least one of the features. It seems like you didn't read the blog because they don't even mention what features they're talking about but with the post from gammadust and my answer you could actually guess what they're talking about. Instead you're pulling answers out of where it's dark.

I remember those boycott movements for L4D2 and MW2, people bitched and moaned for months for actually legit reasons though. In the end, when those games came out, you could see on the Steam boycott groups the vast majority of them playing their respective boycotted game day one. So much for maturity and principles...

So yeah, I do believe a lot of people react in a very childish way to this news and will eventually buy the game regardless. You're free to do whatever you want with your hard-earned money, nobody is denying that. The drama thingy about you most faithful fans feeling betrayed or spat in the face is pointless though.

Yes because the L4D2 and MW2 communities were so mature in the first place...

Kinda like the drama from the [sDF]Steam Defense Force.

What is pointless is you guys heckling someone because they spoke out on their opinion.

Btw... I have never said that I'm not buying the game(I don't like the Steam decision) but I'm waiting till we get more info on the mod situation. I have just been trying to stick up for all the guys that are not happy and are not going to buy. Its their decision/opinion and they are entitled to it just as much as you.

Btw... I have never said that I'm not buying the game(I don't like the Steam decision) but I'm waiting till we get more info on the mod situation. I have just been trying to stick up for all the guys that are not happy and are not going to buy. Its their decision/opinion and they are entitled to it just as much as you.

Glad to hear that you won't be dropping Arma 3 without getting a bit more info first. I am not trying to tell anyone what decision or opinion they should have, but rather expressing why I disagree with their opinion and actions.

I am pretty upset as well. I do not agree with the steam stuff. But really what is whining about it going to do? Its done already. Should we not be discussing new ways for stuff like armaholic to survive, and how we can make it so Addon makers can have their proper rights on steam instead? Maybe its just me, but all the talking on here seems very negative and assumes the "I give up and whine attitude" rather than the "lets push through this and try to shape the bad stuff as best we can to benefit the series we all love...."

I know its hokey, but, Survive Adapt Win.

I wouldn't call it whining. I just tell them that I don't accept their decision and that I'm not going to buy ArmA III if it's going to be Steam only and I'll stick to what I say. If it's BIS interest to get rid of a good bunch of loyal customers to gain a broder audience then it's their choice.

Your not from Europe and maybe customer rights are not as important for you as they're for quite a couple of us. If you haven't got it so far from our POV the Steam business practice is unlawful. Don't know how a company located in Europe can ignore that and even consider to get into a business relationship with such a company just for the sake of making more money. The moral compass here is pointing straight southward!

I hate steam for games that i plan to mod. Because most of the time it resulted in a lot of problems. But that doesn't stop me from getting them if they are steam exclusive, after all it's the game that i care about the most, not the launcher. Good games are rare, i can't afford to be picky if the next similar game will be released in 3 or 4 years (with the possibility of beeing steamexclusive as well) =P

Phew!

So this is what it's all about? Well, times change, we adapt or we perish. Armaholic should be just fine, provided we don't raise the level of this hysteria to insane levels, otherwise Workshop on Steam could completely replace all these websites.

There are tens of thousands of people who like modding - now there's competition. Check this out - http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/ Portal 2 has 244,155 mods! 244k! Sure, most of them are maps and redesigns of maps probably, but still. Skyrim is at 13.8k mods there.

The environment BIS have chosen can be very fertile, provided the gameplay is as we remember it in Armed Assault 1 & ArmA 2, but with a lot more polish on launch.

Arma2 works pretty well as an alternative to SciFi Arma3 where units look like from outer space.

Oh wait... no ragdoll, no PhysX, no diving, no customizable weapons and whatnot. But yeah we have to move on, no matter what or how.

And no, I will not change my mind on release date and buy ArmA3. Wait and see. Ubisoft and EA still waiting for me to buy their always-on DRM, they can wait until the end of days.

How is Steam compared to Origin?

For me, Origin launches and logs in extremely fast, downloads max out my connection.

Steam, Launches much slower and logins taking nearly a minute or more are common.

Downloads rarely max out my connection regardless of which download location I use.

Unlike Steam, there is zero performance hit to my system [3570K/16GB RAM], I have it running 24/7.

Installing to different drives is bit of a pain, you have to change the default location in the settings each time you want to change install locations

Installed games can be moved by cut/pasting it to a new location and have Origin recheck the files and update the registry and desktop shortcut.

Backing up a game, you burn the game folder to disk. Unlike Steam that goes through a long process of making an image.

It needs a lot of work, hopefully it won't take 9 years to add multiple install locations like Steam took.

Haven't tried Offline mode.

Is there a "ArmA3 + Steam? NO THANKS" group here in the forums? If not, would it be legit to have one?

Yeah sure, because of Arma3 Valve/Steam all of the sudden cares about copyright infringement at their "Steam Workshop". Of course, and tomorrow is xmas.

W0lle, if I may just say this, I understand what you mean by possible copyright infringement on Steam Workshop, but I have seen work that was labelled Nexus Exclusive for Skyrim loaded to the Workshop and when people complained, it has been taken off, well if may not be as strictly monitored as the BI Forum, but the complaint system still works. And going back to copyright infringement, there is nothing to stop someone from downloading an addon from Armaholic, rip it, modify it, then upload it to some Belorussian website (no offense intended to any Belorussians on the forum here). Sure, the exposure is no where near as high as the Workshop, but still the practice can exist.

And besides, Workshop integration is not even mention (or it might've been) and certainly not confirmed, so let's wait and see before getting upset over what might be and what not.

Is there a "ArmA3 + Steam? NO THANKS" group here in the forums? If not, would it be legit to have one?
I'm not a staff member, but as far as I know there isn't such a group in the forums. I would gladly join such a group.

I see no reason why you should not be allowed to create such a group. Just remember that the forum rules apply there too and we see (almost) everything. ;)

W0lle, if I may just say this, I understand what you mean by possible copyright infringement on Steam Workshop, but I have seen work that was labelled Nexus Exclusive for Skyrim loaded to the Workshop and when people complained, it has been taken off, well if may not be as strictly monitored as the BI Forum, but the complaint system still works. And going back to copyright infringement, there is nothing to stop someone from downloading an addon from Armaholic, rip it, modify it, then upload it to some Belorussian website (no offense intended to any Belorussians on the forum here). Sure, the exposure is no where near as high as the Workshop, but still the practice can exist.

And besides, Workshop integration is not even mention (or it might've been) and certainly not confirmed, so let's wait and see before getting upset over what might be and what not.

All of above is true of course. But the question that concerns obviously some addon creators is how fast Steam reacts. It's quite some difference if some addon is ripped here and uploaded at some foreign website with 500 users or available at Steam with 'millions of users' and for god knows how long their support need to react. In this community it's pretty easy to determine if something is stolen and who's the original creator; at Steam this is a whole different story.

Edited by W0lle

And going back to copyright infringement, there is nothing to stop someone from downloading an addon from Armaholic, rip it, modify it, then upload it to some Belorussian website (no offense intended to any Belorussians on the forum here). Sure, the exposure is no where near as high as the Workshop, but still the practice can exist.

QFT. Happens more often than people care to admit.

If ArmA III does end up having Workshop space on Steam, it's going to be filled with thousands of missions at the very least, which is awesome. Missions rarely are the target of thieves, larger mods with quality models could be an issue tho, but like nes4day said, these models are already in the public space.