Sign in to follow this  
enad

ArmA 3 on Steamworks?

Will you buy Arma 3 (Steam exclusive)  

433 members have voted

1. 1. Will you buy Arma 3 (Steam exclusive)

• Yes
    • No

This is the first real good negative point vs steam I kind of feel too. Privacy.

What if I dont want my friends (which are just contacts in steam, that might be also working colleges or even the boss) to see what game I play when and how and how often and how long?

Yes. Privacy is a very precious good for me too.

The thing I learned in the internets is that I have to have two accounts on everyhting. 1 official with my real name and a very boring attitude (never being online, always being nice and a good man) and the second account being my off work mind, the gaming king, the forum flamer the bad guy and the guy with the bad taste in humor :)

THis is for me a general problem I have with Internets, personality, friends and 'friends'.. applies to steam also. Why they dont add a privacy option is beyond me though. I would never add colleagues or people from my work to steam though!

You can disable show all the public profile data you want in Steam. anything else? :-D

And don't whine about this forum not being an accurate cross-section of ArmA's players as a whole. How do you know that better than anyone else?

And how do you know better than anyone else that it IS?

There could be hundreds, if not thousands of people out there playing ArmA via steam without a problem/care in the world.

(Infact, we know there is, because [according to the DayZ site] there is over one and a half million people playing DayZ, which while it is not "ArmA" does go to show that for the majority steam is not an issue.)

I do not have a Steam account and I don't want to open one. I'm not a steam hater. I don't like the idea being forced on me to open one otherwise I won't be able to play ArmA 3. I can't really express how much I'm disappointed about this decision. I do reject things which are forced on me without having a choice in it. :protest::391:

Rant over.

And how do you know better than anyone else that it IS?

There could be hundreds, if not thousands of people out there playing ArmA via steam without a problem/care in the world.

(Infact, we know there is, because [according to the DayZ site] there is over one and a half million people playing DayZ, which while it is not "ArmA" does go to show that for the majority steam is not an issue.)

I am operating under the assumption that this forum does represent a fairly accurate cross-section of ArmA's players as a whole. Those people playing DayZ are just that, playing DayZ and for the most part not migrating to ArmA itself. It's been discussed already.

READ THIS IF YOU ARE QUESTIONING STEAM IMPLEMENTATION:

I don't have the effort to make a big post but I'll try to explain to the people who are so out of touch.

There is NOTHING Steam will impede or destroy. It promotes modding so don't worry about no more mods. Valve isn't going to take your mods and sell them, that's just being paranoid and it won't happen. They're also strict with people taking others work, and besides the same could be done without Steam. If you have a mod on Armaholic I can DL it, re-release it with my own name anywhere else. Steam doesn't 'promote' that at all.

Steam only brings BENEFITS to the game and community. You don't have to be online to play in the editor or SP scenarios. Of course MP requires internet but it would too without Steam. Learn to use Steam Offline mode.

All Steam does is bring greater convenience to the user. Those who don't have it, download it and see for yourself. You don't NEED to be stuck in the 90's anymore. Those who hate it, well I haven't seen any valid reasons that haven't been proven wrong yet. It's so ridiculous the amount of ignorant people(I'm really not trying to insult anyone but everyone is so clueless on this subject!) here. Take off the tin foil hats, Steam isn't here to STEAL YOUR MONEY or IMPLANT A VIRUS ON YOUR PC. It's been around for years and is a proven service that holds MANY benefits for ArmA 3 and any other game taking advantage of it.

I hope this clears it up for some of you. I know a thing or two about Steam so if anyone has any real concerns and not just blind hatred, feel free to PM me and I will be sure to answer your question and quell your fears or worries.

Edited by Enad

Tell that to this poll: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?119472-Steamworks-add-it-in-or-not And don't whine about this forum not being an accurate cross-section of ArmA's players as a whole. How do you know that better than anyone else?

I guess you're targeting the wrong guy here. I would prefer a non-STEAM version everyday and twice on Sundays, but there's not much than we can do, besides dammage control. I know nothing about STEAM but it doesn't sound like something I will get any benefit from, but I could very well be wrong 'cos I don't know it. I would prefer a standar release but it seems we're not going to get it, hence my question related to the new scenario, and nothing else.

Hi, im againist the use of Steam, is something that i would not use if it wouldn't be mandatory; im concerned about how hard could be to install small or minoritary addons on the game and also the extra resources that it would ask for running the Win7 + Steam + ArmA3, with all the small things that eat up alot of resources on Windows.

Also the privacy is a concern, have things traking my steps is something that i don't want.

I guess that they'd choosen Steam, to reduce the distribution costs, on certain territories that use it the most and where they don't feel the need of have a physical copy of the game, as could be the EEUU; in this way not only would be cheaper for 'em to release the game but also maximize what they earn not having to stamp alot of DVDs and neither printing the boxes. If you ask me... i would say they'd choose Steam for economic reasons only.

Also, with the "social aspect" of Steam... "would be easyer to build a community", "make friends..." "know new people..." and "that kind of things...", opened to morons of all kind, silly people, pro-cheaters, stupid kinds and every subnormal in this world that would send you "friend requests" just because you've a "cool name", "pimp avatar" or a certain history behind; aside of those F freaks that would look at your combat efectiveness stats to be "your friend". Im very againist Steam and the Steam like things, i don't think that i gonna ever buy the ArmA3, but i would have to see how it really is once released to make a final decission; until now... i don't see a good reason to buy it, the game mechanics don't seem to have been really improved, the mission editor included; and now with the mandatory use of Steam it's worst IMO. Let's C ya

Edited by wipman

You don't NEED to be stuck in the 90's anymore.

Worst argument ever. There's a lot of other online distribution solutions other than Steam.

Also, with the "social aspect" of Steam... "would be easyer to build a community", "make friends..." "know new people..." and "that kind of things...", opened to morons of all kind, silly people, pro-cheaters, stupid kinds and every subnormal in this world that would send you "friend requests" just because you've a "cool name", "pimp avatar" or a certain history behind; aside of those F freaks that would look at your combat efectiveness stats to be "your friend". Im very againist Steam and the Steam like things, i don't think that i gonna ever buy the ArmA3, but i would have to see how it really is once released to make a final decission; until now... i don't see a good reason to buy it, the game mechanics don't seem to have been really improved, the mission editor included; and now with the mandatory use of Steam it's worst IMO.

You know, in all my years of using it, I've never once come across one of those "morons of all kind". Quite honestly, it seems like the Arma community has a problem with the Steam users, not the other way around.

Worst argument ever. There's a lot of other online distribution solutions other than Steam.

Yet Steam offers the most benefits for users and developers out of all of them.

Get informed, read my post.

YESSS ITS OFFICIAL http://www.bistudio.com/english/company/developers-blog/356-arma3-steam-dev-blog

It will a steam work. finally. my prayers have been answered well done BIS

I believe that the reasons for the decision pertaining to Steam exclusivity is well defended in the article jonneymendoza linked us to above. Though many of the community members have issues with it, I for one, am happy to read some explanation for the decision instead of "we're doing this because we said so."

Thanks for linking that.

Quite honestly, it seems like the Arma community has a problem with the Steam users, not the other way around.

That's called elitism. Nothing new here, it reminds me of those heated debates over Project Reality, even before PR Arma2 was announced, which always had a much more mature, open minded and a lot less xenophobic community than we have here.

Edited by dunedain

I guess you're targeting the wrong guy here. I would prefer a non-STEAM version everyday and twice on Sundays, but there's not much than we can do, besides dammage control. I know nothing about STEAM but it doesn't sound like something I will get any benefit from, but I could very well be wrong 'cos I don't know it. I would prefer a standar release but it seems we're not going to get it, hence my question related to the new scenario, and nothing else.

The reason they've jumped to Steam I think is because I've read somewhere that GameSpy is stopping with their services and most of you know that gamespy was the main server browser in the BI games.

Edited by RavoC

You know, in all my years of using it, I've never once come across one of those "morons of all kind". Quite honestly, it seems like the Arma community has a problem with the Steam users, not the other way around.

It's not an "Steam exclusive", it's a human kind exclusive; and it annoys me. To be accesible for any asshole on this world with an IN connection, the 90% of the people sucks IMO and it's worst on IN where they think that they have (a false) privacy/impunity to bahave as they really are, F morons to the soul. All this is just my opinion and my 2nd main concern about Steam and all the "social" tools out there; i should say that i also hate the Iphone fans, Mac fans and that kind of people with 80s glasses and clothes that look like the groupies of the F Lady Gaga after a lobotomy high on DMMDA, or worst... Justin Bierver's fans; personaly... i would sentence those F ingnorants to death with a smile in a blink, is that kind of people who rottens our dear world. And they're very present on the Steam like things as in the society.

Hmmmm.... let me see, Steam v. Gamespy. Or it might be likened to "A jet airplane" v. "Train" to get across the country.

Enough said.

Going to quote myself since some seem to think there's unjustified hate towards Steam:

I don't have a problem with Steam per se and I don't, at least didn't mind, Steam exclusive games but it's getting far too common nowadays. Arma 3 is the latest one to be swallowed up by something that's turning into The Blob.

To those who say "you're just whining". How is wanting to protect my consumer rights and options not good? How is being against the Steam dominance on digital distribution bad? Steam isn't even good value for money where I live. The more of a share it gets in the digital distribution market the more we, the consumer, get shafted since there's no real competition.

I'm a huge fan of what BIS have done with their games since I first played the OFP demo way back in 2001 and I was looking forward to Arma 3. Not so keen now though, unless it's really good.

Yet Steam offers the most benefits for users and developers out of all of them.

Get informed, read my post.

At least it might make it a bit more difficult for you to pirate Arma 3 like you did with OA.

[...]

What exactly stops you from setting your Steam profile to private and only use the features you really need?

It's not an "Steam exclusive", it's a human kind exclusive; and it annoys me. To be accesible for any asshole on this world with an IN connection, the 90% of the people sucks IMO and it's worst on IN where they think that they have (a false) privacy/impunity to bahave as they really are, F morons to the soul. All this is just my opinion and my 2nd main concern about Steam and all the "social" tools out there; i should say that i also hate the Iphone fans, Mac fans and that kind of people with 80s glasses and clothes that look like the groupies of the F Lady Gaga after a lobotomy high on DMMDA, or worst... Justin Bierver's fans; personaly... i would sentence those F ingnorants to death with a smile in a blink, is that kind of people who rottens our dear world. And they're very present on the Steam like things as in the society.

I can agree with that and I do, still I think the best way to counter act these people is just to be you and your individuality itself will do the rest, they will never grasp it. I would rather have a release without steam too but then again if it would be gamespy or whatever else it would still be the same; registered. So all the bias next to it is nice for people that like it but people that really live would just look through the bias.

Hmmmm.... let me see, Steam v. Gamespy. Or it might be likened to "A jet airplane" v. "Train" to get across the country.

Enough said.

GOG has already been mentioned as an alternative. In a fitting attitude considering they aren't Valve, they've had no real issues updating their games for Windows 8.

READ THIS IF YOU ARE QUESTIONING STEAM IMPLEMENTATION:

I don't have the effort to make a big post but I'll try to explain to the people who are so out of touch.

There is NOTHING Steam will impede or destroy. It promotes modding so don't worry about no more mods. Valve isn't going to take your mods and sell them, that's just being paranoid and it won't happen. They're also strict with people taking others work, and besides the same could be done without Steam. If you have a mod on Armaholic I can DL it, re-release it with my own name anywhere else. Steam doesn't 'promote' that at all.

Steam only brings BENEFITS to the game and community. You don't have to be online to play in the editor or SP scenarios. Of course MP requires internet but it would too without Steam. Learn to use Steam Offline mode.

All Steam does is bring greater convenience to the user. Those who don't have it, download it and see for yourself. You don't NEED to be stuck in the 90's anymore. Those who hate it, well I haven't seen any valid reasons that haven't been proven wrong yet. It's so ridiculous the amount of ignorant people(I'm really not trying to insult anyone but everyone is so clueless on this subject!) here. Take off the tin foil hats, Steam isn't here to STEAL YOUR MONEY or IMPLANT A VIRUS ON YOUR PC. It's been around for years and is a proven service that holds MANY benefits for ArmA 3 and any other game taking advantage of it.

I hope this clears it up for some of you. I know a thing or two about Steam so if anyone has any real concerns and not just blind hatred, feel free to PM me and I will be sure to answer your question and quell your fears or worries.

You still don't comprehend do you?

Why do you call our arguments 'blind hatred' when many of us pose legitimate points and concerns? I'm sorry I don't love Steam the way you do, yes I have one, yes I use it. But I do not agree with ArmA3 being Steam exclusive and on the workshop. Why can't you just accept the fact that some people don't agree with it and move on?

Going to quote myself since some seem to think there's unjustified hate towards Steam

You're seeing things the wrong way mate. Competition has never been that high between digital retailers, and never games were that cheap on PC. Being redeemable on Steam or using steamworks doesn't mean the game has to be bought on the Steam store. Actually I buy most of my games from other shops "amazon.com/GMG" and then use the key on Steam. It's more convenient that way for many people including myself.

By what logic is this killing competition exactly? If competition is lacking it's only in the way that there are no serious challenger to Steamworks, only equivalent is Origin and it sucks ass. EA can't even make an ingame chat UI that doesn't freeze your computer for 10s when you try to resize it.

Edited by dunedain

You still don't comprehend do you?

Why do you call our arguments 'blind hatred' when many of us pose legitimate points and concerns? I'm sorry I don't love Steam the way you do, yes I have one, yes I use it. But I do not agree with ArmA3 being Steam exclusive and on the workshop. Why can't you just accept the fact that some people don't agree with it and move on?

My turn: Telling it like it is. 8-)

Hell, take as much time as you like making the game. Anyone who is rushing you can pipe down and wait, for good things take time. I was willing to wait for another year for this game to be released and another month or so for my giant robot bunny in the game, and I'm still willing if it also means it could help a small possible chance of it changing the idea.

Just responding to this point: the devblog basically said that the CEO of BI decided "not releasing in 2013 is worse than Steamworks" and that "take as long as needed to not have Steam" was not acceptable.

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

Also, it basically implied that Maruk is the one pressuring them to release in 2013, not outside fans, so I think "risk of not meeting 2013“ was an euphemism for "without Steamworks, a very real chance of simply canceling Arma 3"...

GOG has already been mentioned as an alternative. In a fitting attitude considering they aren't Valve, they've had no real issues updating their games for Windows 8.

What the heck is a GOG (had to check that one up)? :p

Steam is here to stay - the deal is done. Now, we (the hardcore fan base) must be in the business of making sure BIS doesn't sell out their product quality for the Almighty Dollar. It could be worse - they could have announced yesterday that "modding is out" and that they have gone to the console for PS4 / XBOX 720 and that the release won't be until the new consoles are on the market. Money can make people do strange things. Don't you think that BIS wants to be as wealthy and just as popular as DICE or COD? Remember, 3 short years ago, Battlefield fans were in the same boat that we are in right now - modding was still going on, but they started to make a small shift toward consoles with Battlefield Bad Company (like what Dean Hall / BIS are thinking about doing with DayZ ). Now, look at DICE today? DICE sold out to the console and modding is history, but they are filthy RICH. I'm hoping that BIS doesn't let the "Almighty Dollar" destroy such a fine franchise. But we must always remember: Bohemia Interactive is a Business - and Businesses are in Business to make money.

Edited by rehtus777