Sign in to follow this  
enad

ArmA 3 on Steamworks?

Will you buy Arma 3 (Steam exclusive)  

433 members have voted

1. 1. Will you buy Arma 3 (Steam exclusive)

• Yes
    • No

Ok great. "Exclusive" is a very strong word and it can confuse people.

So we can scratch the "Valve will have monopoly on A3 sales" off the list :o

funny how that works, right.

But they did improve it since I last tried. It now also works if you don't let steam remember the pw. Not perfect but at least it works once you authenticated.

The only problem I see is that this will need a permanent internet connection, ruling out anybody who doesn´t have that (that may include me from april on frown.png )

Otherwise, the annoyance is not comprehensible to me. Arma 3 seems to turn out as a pretty troubled development, and at the end I´d love to see a book or something published on that, looking behind the scenes.

Also, the new screenshots are fantastic. KH2002 all the way bebe

(Not being critical right now because A: Fanboy and B: I don´t expect this to be all the news and will wait until everything´s published to draw conclusions.)

Well, ever since they improve it I actually were able to log into offline mode with my cable pulled away, it even works after I done a full system reinstall, funny indeed.

Edited by 4 IN 1

Sad News!

Seems like BIS is going the modern way. Connecting to life 2.0!

some days ago i wanted to post in the Arma 3 request thread (does it exist?) but didnt do so. So i do it here:

Arma 3 needs:

-NO Friends List

-NO e-Mail connection

-NO Facebook connection

-NO autpmatic updates/downloads

-NO 2nd party corporation

I miss the good days just installing a game without registration procedure, patch manually (who isnt smart enough do to so?), and have the ability to do whatever i want with the legal copy of the game i bought.

Im not giving up my freedom for "security" reasons.

"When the people fear the companies there is tyranny. When the companies fears the people there is liberty."
... at which point the companies find new customers who are more willing to fork over their money. ;) I mean, when Maruk is saying:
Not to forget, the majority of our players already come from Steam.
I think it's time to pack it in... bluntly speaking, I find your statement absolutely pretentious.
Seems like BIS is going the modern way. Connecting to life 2.0!
One more time -- how did you not notice this after all that Jay Crowe said back at E3?!

---------- Post added at 06:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 AM ----------

I, it's just that I'd prefer to buy it through the BIStore so BI can get a bigger chunk of the cheese.
If BIStore sells Arma 3 Steam keys... :D
Yup...
More specifically, there is no single Arma community -- there are multiple Arma-playing groups; the player base was already fractured even before DayZ! You know, all with their own different takes on things... I for one have been reading an Arma 3 thread where a seeming common sentiment about the complaints on the BI forums: ":munch:" (on popcorn and drink).

I would wait till next year than buy it on steam!

I have a problem with Crysis wars CD-key witch was wrong after a 3 weeks i decided to send the transaction info to EA and they gave me new CD-Key the same day but steam refused to update it in my profile so every time i restarted steam i have to re-input the new CD-key in game, that draw me mad so i contacted EA again and they gave me link to non-Steam version of crysis wars and now i am playing it without steam and without problem. The second thing is that i'm busy man and always on the road, so for example i need to go somewhere where i don't have Internet aces, and i want to play ArmA3 in free time, but wait i cannot because i didn't switch steam to off-line mode, this sucks, i want to install game i need to install steam and all of the updates before i can start to relax, and the wait time is driving me mad, again. What about LAN in home with my brother will it still work without Internet?

Edited by Azrael000
Adnotation

And the devblog basically said that Maruk decided that he and Land (the project lead) would rather make you and others unhappy than NOT release it in 2013... because antoineflemming has been implying that there would be no Arma 3 in 2014.

Ok great. "Exclusive" is a very strong word and it can confuse people.

So we can scratch the "Valve will have monopoly on A3 sales" off the list :o

Well, since it's Steamworks, it requires to Steam to function no matter where you get it from so Steam still gets a cut from wherever it is you buy.

Sorry, I just don't see how supporting the Steam monopoly is good for the consumer in the end. I'm surprised people are so callous about it.

Well voting with the wallet is the only way the customers can dictate their wishes to the company.

Certain customer wishes can be ignored and disregarded, especially when the customer is ignorant of the internal situation in the company and of the reasons, which had prompted this very serious decision to go ahead with Steam.

I could list you ten good reasons for ArmA III to go with Steam, although I'm an opponent of the platform myself.

Otherwise it goes the other way around and we know what happens then. Lets quote Thomas Jefferson for that matter.

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty."

or in this case

"When the people fear the companies there is tyranny. When the companies fears the people there is liberty."

LOL, this has absolutely zero to do with anything Steam-related.

P.S. Business works on trust, not fear. Multiple party exchange for mutual benefit - if either of the parties doesn't see a benefit in going ahead with the transaction, then no deal is made and they go their separate ways.

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

I have a problem with Crysis wars CD-key witch was wrong after a 3 weeks i decided to send the transaction info to EA and they gave me new CD-Key the same day but steam refused to update it in my profile so every time i restarted steam i have to re-input the new CD-key in game, that draw me mad so i contacted EA again and they gave me link to non-Steam version of crysis wars and now i am playing it without steam and without problem. The second thing is that i'm busy man and always on the road, so for example i need to go somewhere where i don't have Internet aces, and i want to play ArmA3 in free time, but wait i cannot because i didn't switch steam to off-line mode, this sucks, i want to install game i need to install steam and all of the updates before i can start to relax, and the wait time is driving me mad, again. What about LAN in home with my brother will it still work without Internet?

> https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-AGCB-2555 - if its not working then you are doing something wrong

I Read some posts, but as they are so many i give up. Hope someone can tell me if to lauch an Dedicated Server we will have to have another STEAM acount with the simulator or the Dedicated Server will be "free" so any one can lauch it as STEAM doese with other gams like Race07 were you don't need to buy the game to lauch a Dedicated Server.

I ask this because it suck a bit to have to create another STEAM account, buy ANOTHER ArmA 3 just to lauch an dedicated server.

Thank you!

I ask this because it suck a bit to have to create another STEAM account, buy ANOTHER ArmA 3 just to lauch an dedicated server.

Thank you!

Dedicated server and client will be on the same account. Launch Steam and check for Half-Life dedicated server files, which were available for download to anyone last time I checked.

I don't understand what the problem is with steamworks? I understand it may be frustrating to use a 3rd party service to play games, but the majority of people use six updater and to my understanding, steam works and six updater essentially do the same thing. So why are people now refusing to mod and purchase Arma 3 just because its a steam exclusive?

Dedicated servers can be run even without a Steam account. At least this has been the case with previous Steam games, such as Left 4 Dead 1&2.

the dedicated server might be completely separated data package with it's own binary, detached to main game package , this is all subject of things in WIP

Dedicated server and client will be on the same account. Launch Steam and check for Half-Life dedicated server files, which were available for download to anyone last time I checked.

So how do i can have my account on my computer and play Arma 3, and have my account logged on my rented server to lauch a dedicated server!?!? As far as i know i cant have Steam logged on 2 computer at the same time! Or Can i!?!?

EDIT: @ DWARDEN Ok! :) Thank You!

Didn't Valve once say that if such a situation arises, they would remove their DRM through a patch?

Yeah , but as someone who was working in a software company that went down the toilet

The last thing any programmers is doing is sorting out a patch , they are all online looking for a new job :(

Well, i'm not going to post comments about steam exlcusivity decision, although i'm not fan of this move, however i want to know one thing. What does it mean for us, who have already preordered retail DVD version of Arma 3? Should we cancel it, hoping for full refund? Thanks.

and sometime i can forget it!
... and how is this anyone's fault but your own?

@ Morhoo: How did you manage to preorder Arma 3 retail discs already??? Because if you did it through anyone except directly BI... I imagine that you would just call them. As far as the retail discs... I imagine Steam installers on DVDs with a Steam key for each, just like any other Steamworks retail disc.

One good thing with steam is that we might get an easier installation for linux server as steam is now available on it.

Well, i'm not going to post comments about steam exlcusivity decision, although i'm not fan of this move, however i want to know one thing. What does it mean for us, who have already preordered retail DVD version of Arma 3? Should we cancel it, hoping for full refund? Thanks.

Nope. You buy from wherever you want and activate at Steam, just like any other Steamworks game.

For more Steam related stuff, use http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?119471-ArmA-3-on-Steamworks/page45

As far as i know i cant have Steam logged on 2 computer at the same time! Or Can i!?!?
I imagine that it might be possible if you disable Steam Guard (View -> Settings -> Account tab -> Manage Steam Guard Security) -- I can't guarantee that though.
One good thing with steam is that we might get an easier installation for linux server as steam is now available on it.
I just imagined Arma 3 for Linux... ME LIKE.

I have to admit, I'm somewhat concerned that "how dedicated servers will be implemented" is still WIP... and reminded of what Land said about having to take the first two months as Arma 3 project lead just finding out the status of the project and team/coming up with a plan of action...

Pre-orders should generally be fully refundable, if a refund is even necessary. Amazon, for example, doesn't charge your account until the game actually ships.

However, BIS did state in the blog post that there will be retail versions. You can install from the DVD, but the game is still activated and run through Steam.

Your post was worded in such a way to give exactly that impression, whether it was intentional or not. (Case in point: "If your internet is any good it will

prob take a few days to a week. And if it's bad, I can just imagine how pissed ur gonna get waiting for months just to download a patch

to play a game you bought from store.")

Your point being? It was an example of how steam can seriously frack up someone's day, and I was referring to steam's forced patching system which caused the majority

of the download headaches, things which wouldn't even exist for people using a non-steam version, you also didn't explain how this makes it a single negative exception.

You know nothing of the sort. You are making predictions based on worst-case-scenarios of what might happen if everything that can possibly go wrong, does. This is called FUD.

You clearly don't know what FUD means so don't even bother referring to it, in case you just came to this thread, many old time modder and community members have already stated

they will not switch over or even purchase ArmA 3 due to steam being a forced platform on A3, moderators included so go back and read a few pages before you state I'm making

predictions based on what might happen if everything goes wrong. But I'm not supposing you'd care as long as everything works correctly for you since you are the majority and

the other members of the fanbase who supported BIS since OFP are all negative exceptions?:rolleyes:

Seems that there is A LOT of misinformation regarding Steam. Now I can see why it was such a big thing around here...