Sign in to follow this  
enad

ArmA 3 on Steamworks?

Will you buy Arma 3 (Steam exclusive)  

433 members have voted

1. 1. Will you buy Arma 3 (Steam exclusive)

• Yes
    • No

"in my experience"

Thankyou for alleviating my concerns.

Thats the problem with Steam. some people have no problem, others it's annoying as hell

the same way FPS in games only effects some people, There's a certain amount of performance loss

that some people notice.

Yeah, you don't need to enter a verification code every time you log in, just whenever you access Steam from a new / unknown machine. Even if some "hacker" knew your Steam account username and password, he would not be able to access your account without first hacking your e-mail to get at the access code. ;)
And if that hacker has your e-mail... you may have bigger problems. ;)

I should add that to toggle Steam Guard, after logging into the Steam client you'd go to View -> Settings -> Account (default tab) and click "Manage Steam Guard Account Security", which gives the option to enable, disable, or to "deauthorize all computers" except your current one. Also, as far as accessing the "Steam Library folders across multiple drives", from your client settings you pick the Downloads + Cloud tab and select the "Steam Library Folders" button at the bottom.

Heh... I actually just moved a game folder entirely from the SSD where Steam is installed to a SteamLibrary folder on a mechanical platter hard drive (now all games installed on HDD while Steam itself is on SSD) then added that folder to my list of Steam Library Folders -- and right away Steam recognized the install as valid. :)

Edited by Chortles

That's a lot of butthurt people in this thread re: Steam. I'd understand, if ArmA III had been canceled in favour of DayZ, but this is hilarious.

Shows that Steam is a good platform to bring new blood into the series. If properly positioned, I'd bet the pre-orders alone could overshadow pre-DayZ ArmA II sales.

Need moar video material on ArmA3Official YT channel, kthxbye.

So if it were not for the 2013 deadline Arma 3 would have had its own DRM software. Man Im just so surprised! BI made this decision a while ago and kept it under wraps. I wouldnt mind waiting another year if thats what it takes to avoid it being Steamworks game. Sry my third post, Im just kind of pissed/bewildered/shocked.

Personally i can't see a problem with using steam, i can understand why some users are against it. I already use steam quite extensively for Skyfall, TF2, L4D2, Civ 5, Total War Games and others too.

Until we know more about the integration, i will hold off my final judgement till then. But i will be playing Arma3 and i will intend to bring my Nogovan Armed Forces Project over to Arma3.

That's a lot of butthurt people in this thread re: Steam. I'd understand, if ArmA III had been canceled in favour of DayZ, but this is hilarious.

Shows that Steam is a good platform to bring new blood into the series, I'd bet the pre-orders alone will overshadow pre-DayZ ArmA II sales.

I dont want a 3rd party software to run games. You just take it like the rest of the sheep.

Piracy is not the answer. Please go away.

Sometimes it is.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubisoft-Cracks-Own-Game-with-Reloaded-Fix-90318.shtml

The above example is not the first time either.

I had to do it with Crysis Warhead because a bunch of DVD's that were shipped were unreadable in some drives and EA refused

to replace the disks [After admitting the disks were defective] unless you paid a $15-20 shipping costs.

Edited by jblackrupert

Personally i can't see a problem with using steam, i can understand why some users are against it. I already use steam quite extensively for Skyfall, TF2, L4D2, Civ 5, Total War Games and others too.

Until we know more about the integration, i will hold off my final judgement till then. But i will be playing Arma3 and i will intend to bring my Nogovan Armed Forces Project over to Arma3.

Well the problem with Steam is that you do not own a physical always usable copy of the game but a steamlicense to play that game. Just imagine steam has some sort of problems and maybe goes bancrupt. Say goodbye to all your payed games. Or even there is for example a serverfailure which needs longer than 1 month. You wont be able to play your games cause the fraudulent offline mode only works for bloody 30 days. See my point? Youre not in charge anymore. Steam this moneygrabbing, greedy gremmlin controls where and when you can play....

So if it were not for the 2013 deadline Arma 3 would have had its own DRM software.

It's not only about DRM - Steam provides a venue for epic PR work, its own forums, screenshots, achievement sections, sales, top selling lists, upcoming, pre-orders, discounted - ArmA III will be in most of them at one stage or another.

I dont want a 3rd party software to run games. You just take it like the rest of the sheep.
Well if that's your opinion, i guess we won't be seeing you in Arma3. At the end of the day BIS has made the decision, i highly doubt they will reverse their decision, especially as at the end of the day BIS a games company. Without sales, there would be no BIS.
It's not only about DRM - Steam provides a venue for epic PR work, its own forums, screenshots, achievement sections, sales, top selling lists, upcoming, pre-orders, discounted - ArmA III will be in most of them at one stage or another.

Very good points, i can see some of the elements used, i hope achievements will not be included. As Arma3 is no COD game or clone.

We problem with Steam is that you do not own a physical always usable copy of the game but a steamlicense to play that game. Just imagine steam has some sort of problems and maybe goes bancrupt. Say goodbye to all your payed games. Or even there is for example a serverfailure which needs longer than 1 month.

That's always a possibility with a lot of WHAT IFs. Don't assemble your whole gaming library on Steam then, just purchase ArmA III and enjoy while it lasts - which will be probably 2 to 5 years.

Adapt or die, either way I don't want irrational people in my multiplayer Warfare matches, I'd rather take the new blood from Steam's alleyways.

That's always a possibility with a lot of WHAT IFs. Don't assemble your gaming library on Steam then, just purchase ArmA III and enjoy while it lasts - which will be probably 2 to 5 years.

Exactly its the consumers choice at the end of the day, it was my choice to have those games on steam.

And for those afraid that they will lose their ArmA3 access if steam ever goes down, it's almost sure that BI will step up and release a DRM free patch, knowing their past regarding DRM removal after some time.

And for those afraid that they will lose their ArmA3 access if steam ever goes down, it's almost sure that BI will step up and release a DRM free patch, knowing their past regarding DRM removal after some time.

Very true, DRM removal has happened in several patches for Arma1 and Arma2 after a selected amount of time, i am sure we could see it with steam also.

Myke;2300142']Admitting to get a ripped copy of A3 in the official BI forum is a very bad idea.

I totally agree with that but still putting Arma 3 exlusively on Steam will cost you BI a lot of good old players. Say hello to a lot of Steamkiddies who will ruin this once great game. Well its always the same. Companies always prefer poor qantity before quality......

I might buy it for 5 Euros from a grabbing table cause to steambinding its nothing more worth than that.....

You won't be running just any "game", you'll be running ArmA III. I only have Counter-Strike on my Steam account, ArmA III will be a second purchase. Limiting your exposure to 3rd party software shenanigans is your own responsibility: whether by abstaining from purchase, or other means - it's upto you.

That's always a possibility with a lot of WHAT IFs. Don't assemble your whole gaming library on Steam then, just purchase ArmA III and enjoy while it lasts - which will be probably 2 to 5 years.

Adapt or die, either way I don't want irrational people in my multiplayer Warfare matches, I'd rather take the new blood from Steam's alleyways

Well thats the typical brainwashed kiddiethinking of todays gaming world. Very sad to see that is has spread so quickly.....

Shows that Steam is a good platform to bring new blood into the series. If properly positioned, I'd bet the pre-orders alone will overshadow pre-DayZ ArmA II sales.

Need moar video material on ArmA3Official YT channel, kthxbye.

"Preorder Arma 3 for DayZ on Day One!" - a GameStop jingle that will never be :p
Awesome, welcome back R0adki11!
So if it were not for the 2013 deadline Arma 3 would have had its own DRM software. Man Im just so surprised! BI made this decision a while ago and kept it under wraps. I wouldnt mind waiting another year if thats what it takes to avoid it being Steamworks game. Sry my third post, Im just kind of pissed/bewildered/shocked.
If antoineflemming is to be believed, what would have happened is not "Arma 3 would have had its own software"... but rather Maruk announcing Arma 3 having been cancelled. Worse yet, it probably would have been cancelled in favor of DayZ, just like Iroquois Pliskin joked.

The point is, for either reason, Arma 3 was not going to appear as non-Steam because of how bad things were in autumn/winter 2012, and the CEO seems to have eventually decided: "2013 or never".

Say hello to a lot of Steamkiddies who will ruin this once great game. Well its always the same. Companies always prefer poor qantity before quality.....
So you mean "Steamkiddies" who will hold BI to a lower standard (in terms of "does BI deserve full price") and thus be more likely to hand over their money to BI? If that was the case, then why wouldn't BI prefer them! :lol:

Personal disclosure: I decided that Origin was "worth it" (having on my computer that is) just for Battlefield 3... and not a damn thing else. :p My primary gaming library is Steam -- got Arma 2 and OA as retail discs, but I "rebought" them on Steam specifically to have the download option and and bought both BAF and PMC there, all four items because of the discount sale at the time.

Edited by Chortles

I personally am extremely happy they have bitten the bullet and gone with Steam. It's a smart choice and at the end of the day, it's only going to make things easier for the community in the way of patching and dlc content.

Another advantage is obviously Steam Workshop from what I have read, but I personally have never used it (yet at least), perhaps this is a great solution to mod distribution?

I am at the moment as well, they have done it so they can get a version out this year! Then build off it!

Well thats the typical brainwashed kiddiethinking of todays gaming world. Very sad to see that is has spread so quickly.....

It's getting more and more difficult to take you seriously. If you don't want to use Steam, that's your choice, but insulting people who don't share your concerns is not the way to handle yourself here.

You won't be running just any "game", you'll be running ArmA III. I only have Counter-Strike on my Steam account, ArmA III will be a second purchase. Limiting your exposure to 3rd party software shenanigans is your own responsibility: whether by abstaining from purchase, or other means - it's upto you.

The problem is that it's not "just Arma 3". It especially won't be "just Arma 3" if people don't stand against this crap. If people say "oh, you won't be able to play Arma 3 offline, but you can play other games, so it's fine", it will eventually lead to almost all games except indies being bundled with Steamworks. I want to be able to play all of my games at any time for the rest of my life. If I lose a disc, it's my fault and I accept it. If Steam shuts down for whatever reason, I lose a huge number of games and it's not my fault at all.

So, to save myself from future disappointment (and because I'm a strong believer in capitalism and voting with your wallet), I will not purchase games which are bundled with Steamworks.

Very true, DRM removal has happened in several patches for Arma1 and Arma2 after a selected amount of time, i am sure we could see it with steam also.

Only in a special case I'd guess, like Steam going bust, as it will be a Steamworks game. Which as far as I understand means that it requires Steam to work.

It's getting more and more difficult to take you seriously. If you don't want to use Steam, that's your choice, but insulting people who don't share your concerns is not the way to handle yourself here.

It was never my intention to insult him as a person. I thought i made it clear with saying "brainwashed" that its the medias/companys fault especially with promoting such kind of things that it goes this way. If he feels insulted I'm of course sorry for that.

---------- Post added at 11:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 AM ----------

The problem is that it's not "just Arma 3". It especially won't be "just Arma 3" if people don't stand against this crap. If people say "oh, you won't be able to play Arma 3 offline, but you can play other games, so it's fine", it will eventually lead to almost all games except indies being bundled with Steamworks. I want to be able to play all of my games at any time for the rest of my life. If I lose a disc, it's my fault and I accept it. If Steam shuts down for whatever reason, I lose a huge number of games and it's not my fault at all.

So, to save myself from future disappointment (and because I'm a strong believer in capitalism and voting with your wallet), I will not purchase games which are bundled with Steamworks.

Exactly.

If people say "oh, you won't be able to play Arma 3 offline, but you can play other games, so it's fine", it will eventually lead to almost all games except indies being bundled with Steamworks. I want to be able to play all of my games at any time for the rest of my life. If I lose a disc, it's my fault and I accept it. If Steam shuts down for whatever reason, I lose a huge number of games and it's not my fault at all.

I get you, but the economic circumstances and advances in tech force the path of least resistance at the moment and the trend will continue. I'd rather have Steam, than update vanilla for the 4th time and get the same Error after 40 minutes of patching per try.

You pay for convenience, and believe it or not, in ArmA's case Steam is exactly that.