Sign in to follow this  
enad

ArmA 3 on Steamworks?

Will you buy Arma 3 (Steam exclusive)  

433 members have voted

1. 1. Will you buy Arma 3 (Steam exclusive)

• Yes
    • No

Steam +1

Parochial and cantankerous old men will be dragged kicking and screaming into the century of the fruitbat.

-k

Yeah having more option to purchase is soooo last century

Lol I have to put this in my signature. sorry.

I got him to respond to me though! It's certainly going in my signature!

btw W0lle, you understand you're asking me to do the impossible since there is no way to separate "Steam" modders from "ArmA" modders (whatever that false dichotomy is meant to mean)

Good choice with full Steam integration. I don't currently use Steam for Arma, but for Arma3 I have no problem making the change. It does have the occasional hiccup, but what doesn't? The steam workshop will be a great partner ship for Arma3 also. People always cry out for better mod implementation and a management system from BIS....Well here we have it...and people complain. No real surprise there I guess.

i think rye wants it to be a big black disc he loves discs...

lol.

+1.

Good choice with full Steam integration. I don't currently use Steam for Arma, but for Arma3 I have no problem making the change. It does have the occasional hiccup, but what doesn't? The steam workshop will be a great partner ship for Arma3 also. People always cry out for better mod implementation and a management system from BIS....Well here we have it...and people complain. No real surprise there I guess.

Nah they complain because it's steam or GTFO, a little bit like Battlefield 3 and origin if you know what i mean

Someone of the steam opfor has even stopped a moment to think about the pros, and the reasons the developers has explained eloquently?

Why would someone be against Steam? I'd understand if it was Origin or the year 2003, but nowadays theres no real reason to be against steam, it's a proven platform.

What pro's?

Unique Steam features like this?

One quick and simple thing available to any Steam-powered game is taking screenshots and sharing them.

http://www.bistudio.com/english/company/developers-blog/356-arma3-steam-dev-blog

I wonder how we were able to share screenshots in the past 12 years without Steam....

We were in the dark ages man. God damn you imageshack.

Why would someone be against Steam? I'd understand if it was Origin or the year 2003, but nowadays theres no real reason to be against steam, it's a proven platform.

Someone of the steam opfor has even stopped a moment to think about the pros, and the reasons the developers has explained eloquently?

Yup, they did. At least I did =). But I don't care about those reasons, though I fully understand them. And all these pros don't matter if you ever had steam experience like in that video nuxil posted. I already described in other topic my interaction with this system - and guess what? It was exactly like in that video :).

If you talk about me, no i fully understood that a lot of things went wrong during the not yet finished development and at the end some end users are left on the ground. Too bad that amongst them were some of the most supportive.

If some of the developers decide to throw a hissy fit and leave the community because of Steam of all things, then that's really their problem and it's a reflection of their maturity. Nobody is forcing them to play ArmA in the first place. If they decide that installing a 50MB application is too much for them, well, that's too damned bad.

BIS has laid out the reasons for this decision. Clearly, not implementing Steamworks in the game was believed to affect the franchise and the community in a more negative way than implementing it would have. This isn't being done out of greed or spite.

Also, I cannot believe the amount of self-entitlement I'm seeing on these forums. Believe it or not, the users of this forum don't represent even a fraction of the ArmA playerbase. I know you guys think BIS made this game specifically for you, but jeez, get over yourselves. You are not the ultimate authority on all things ArmA. The buck does not stop here.

Edited by RangerPL

No one said they were doing it out of spite or greed. I understand fully why they are doing it. That doesn't mean that I have to like the decision or that someone is being immature because they do not like steam and don't wish to develop content for the steam-verse.

If some of the developers decide to throw a hissy fit and leave the community because of Steam of all things, then that's really their problem and it's a reflection of their maturity. Nobody is forcing them to play ArmA in the first place. If they decide that installing a 50MB application is too much for them, well, that's too damned bad.

BIS has laid out the reasons for this decision. Clearly, not implementing Steamworks in the game was believed to affect the franchise and the community in a more negative way than implementing it would have. This isn't being done out of greed or spite.

Also, I cannot believe the amount of self-entitlement I'm seeing on these forums. Believe it or not, the users of this forum don't represent even a fraction of the ArmA playerbase. I know you guys think BIS made this game specifically for you, but jeez, get over yourselves. You are not the ultimate authority on all things ArmA. The buck does not stop here.

I agree. Good post

Yeah screw all these people who were and are creating content for their games for free, they are all immature pussies because they don't want to be forced using some 3rd party software to use the game and continue creating content for you and for free. I wonder what you gonna say when you buy your next car and the dealer tells you that you must buy the fuel only at certain gas stations.

But I'm sure people like you would probably even agree to that instead not having the car.

What pro's?

Unique Steam features like this?

http://www.bistudio.com/english/company/developers-blog/356-arma3-steam-dev-blog

I wonder how we were able to share screenshots in the past 12 years without Steam....

Hopefully integrated steam friends, right click to join etc, game hub, workshop (skyrim has 1gb file size limit, not 100mb)

Possibly VAC instead of BE (thank god!)

Game versions can be treated as two (default, beta) instead of several (also reduces testing time)

Delta-patching

An app that does not eat my CPU/RAM while running (steam is using 50mb of ram atm, that's less than chrome and dropbox)

I've failed to see any real arguments against steam, seems like most of them are either

a) 5 years old and never happen

b) Bandwagoning because no own opinion / Have never had Steam on their computer

c) The "I've done this for several years and it's working fine, why change it?" attitude. If we were to take a look at bf3, the hate against origin was 10x larger than the hate on steam is, still bf3 had 3 million pre-orders and sold 5 million copies during the first week. Yes the community might be larger for BF3 but bringing A3 to Steam will certainly not decrease the amount of purchasers by any significant amount and if it does, it will certainly be re-placed by new people who do not buy games other than on Steam (yes, they do exist). I for one have not purchased a DVD copy of a game in several years.

As far as I'm concerned this will kill off most of the great members of our community, the ones that have kept this game a float. We can all agree if it wasn't for mods the game would of died ages ago.

And I cannot see how this can speed up the release of ArmA 3, it's still going to take the same amount of time to develop 1.0 and the same amount of time to create patches and upload them. The only real advantage is not having to burn all those discs and distribute. We've waited this long BIS I'm sure we can wait a little longer if it means not including steam.

I am a Steam User, I have apparently 177 games on there since April 2010. But I do not feel it is a good thing for ArmA as a whole. And Steam Workshop won't streamline acquiring mods and joining servers any easier, it's a mess in itself. Try looking for a mod for Skyrim on there, it's a task that takes more time then it's worth.

I feel slightly sorry for all the community sites out there that made big plans for this ArmA 3 switch-over aswell, they will lose a lot of traffic if this goes through (Way to support the community).

And to all those saying people who don't want steam are living in the dark ages, does us all a favour and sit on your head for a few hours.

Yeah screw all these people who were and are creating content for their games for free, they are all immature pussies because they don't want to be forced using some 3rd party software to use the game and continue creating content for you and for free. I wonder what you gonna say when you buy your next car and the dealer tells you that you must buy the fuel only at certain gas stations.

But I'm sure people like you would probably even agree to that instead not having the car.

Telling it how it is. <3

Why do most people instantly assume that steam makes it harder to mod? you mod the game in the exact same way as you mod every other instance of arma, it's just now the game is in steam/common/ instead of program files/bohemia interactive

Talk about an increase of difficulty!

The reason why 'steam users' (what is this? some sort of slur?) have difficulty installing mods isnt because of the platform it's because a lot of people bought the game through steam and are having difficulties with THE GAME not the steam aspect. They could have bought a retail version and they'd still be having issues.

The fact people are quoting those boring ass gifs that showed up when steam was first released and going 'haha this is my problem with steam' just shows the maturity of those complaining - if you're having trouble updating steam in this day and age it's more than likely your unstable connection than the actual program itself.

;2299886']And to all those saying people who don't want steam are living in the dark ages' date=' does us all a favour and sit on your head for a few hours.[/quote']Quite frankly, we could enter a dark age with a Steam monopoly, which Valve is dedicated to pursuing. Last time I checked, Steam was at ~70% of digital game distribution share and rising.

Hopefully integrated steam friends, right click to join etc, game hub, workshop (skyrim has 1gb file size limit, not 100mb)

Possibly VAC instead of BE (thank god!)

Game versions can be treated as two (default, beta) instead of several (also reduces testing time)

Delta-patching

An app that does not eat my CPU/RAM while running (steam is using 50mb of ram atm, that's less than chrome and dropbox)

I've failed to see any real arguments against steam, seems like most of them are either

a) 5 years old and never happen

b) Bandwagoning because no own opinion / Have never had Steam on their computer

c) The "I've done this for several years and it's working fine, why change it?" attitude. If we were to take a look at bf3, the hate against origin was 10x larger than the hate on steam is, still bf3 had 3 million pre-orders and sold 5 million copies during the first week. Yes the community might be larger for BF3 but bringing A3 to Steam will certainly not decrease the amount of purchasers by any significant amount and if it does, it will certainly be re-placed by new people who do not buy games other than on Steam (yes, they do exist). I for one have not purchased a DVD copy of a game in several years.

I have posted several questions that need to be answered before I make a final judgement, but had to respond to the BF3 comment, EA shat all over modders and community developers. They removed modding all together... Im done with EA and Origin, I will not buy another product from them.

Sure they sold a ton of BF3 but look at the community... Is that what you want to take the place of people that leave due to the steam issue?