Sign in to follow this  
enad

ArmA 3 on Steamworks?

Will you buy Arma 3 (Steam exclusive)  

433 members have voted

1. 1. Will you buy Arma 3 (Steam exclusive)

• Yes
    • No

Just saw this idea in the comments over on Rock Paper Shotgun: “Assuming sales of ArmA 3 meet expectations we will have a non-DRM version of Arma 3 ready sometime in 2014″.

Until then it's too late when even more of the remaining addon and mission creators left the scene and moved on because they refuse to use Steam. :(

Until then it's too late when even more of the remaining addon and mission creators left the scene and moved on because they refuse to use Steam. :(

That's what will happen here. Especially if they use Steamworkshop.

Intrusive? How? Please provide evidence of this "intrusion" of Steam's DRM system. As far as DRM goes, it's the least intrusive there is. Or maybe you'd prefer Ubisoft's DRM system?

Forced patching would definitely be counted as "intrusive" by me (yes, I turn off auto-patching - all that does is delay patching until I try to play the game). Non-functional offline mode could be seen as "intrusive" too, I guess.

Aside from that, you must not have used steam offline mode very much, if at all. It works fine. Any problems that I might have experienced with it were easily solved by a computer restart.

I used it (or tried to) for over a month when I was without internet. I hadn't had access to my computer for 2 weeks prior to that, which meant I had around 2 weeks left of "offline mode". Steam's offline mode only works well for very short internet outages - not for longer term lack of internet access. It does not work for more than 30 days since you last logged in online. When I found myself spending several weeks only able to play non-Steam games, I found myself hating Steam. I will only buy very cheap games from Steam and treat it as a rental. Otherwise, I will not buy the game if it is not available DRM-free.

This sure is some hot bullshit.

If you don't want to use Steam Workshop for whatever reason you've cooked up you can just use Armaholic or Six or just release the files on these forums.

I think BIS should finish up the Steam version and work on a non-Steam version, however long it takes. I'm perfectly fine with or without Steam (want the game released this year, though). But it's very troubling seeing the community split like this. As much as the Steam-exclusivity doesn't bother me, I definitely think BIS will be at a loss in the long run if they don't work out some way for the game to be non-Steam in some capacity. Maybe the singleplayer and multiplayer can run on separate executables that access the same resources, so that singleplayer is Steam free and Multiplayer needs Steam. I'm perfectly fine with the way ArmA2 is handled now, and wouldn't be bothered if ArmA3 MP was or wasn't connected to Steam. But realize that, especially for multiplayer, BIS would HAVE to find a new MP server provider, or develop there own system void of Gamespy. Why? Because Gamespy is shutting down. So BIS is without an MP solution if they don't go with Steam. I understand why a lot of people have issue with Steam, and seems like it's Valve and their philosophy. I've never had a problem with Steam, but can now see why others do. That said, I think at least the best option for BIS is to separate SP and MP. Because I don't think the community can afford to lose certain community members. Sure, eventually there will be more influential members, but it won't be the same. I'm sorry that Steam is such a dealbreaker for so many. I hope BIS can find a solution that is satisfactory for everyone in the community.

Wow! long time no see...greetings gents!

Surprising move to me by BI. I'll try to break down my thoughts after having read over 30 pages... of the other thread

I hate most DRM methods being imposed on the consumer/gamer. Though i use Steam for some time, as a personal principle i accept at best one time activations. I boycoted BF3 (long waited in the genre), I am boycotting Simcity 2012 (even longer).

After having obtained arma series through steam (where i came to know of its existence) i decided to finaly give my direct support to BI this time around. It will remain so, but through Steam then.

If you're wondering - Steam vs Other Rental Services - it's easy, i have no traumatic experience with Steam at all, yet there is plenty of evidence otherwise in regards to the other services.

Does Jesus (Steam) exist? Don't know, there is no evidence, i can't deny it still, i do have evidence though that Satan (Origin, U-play) exists. That makes me only half an agnostic i guess.

Passed DRM, the meat of my concerns: (somes issues have been brought up elsewere by other members)

- Valued members (modders) have expressed serious disappointment, not explaining much, i am pressed to believe, though, valid reasons stand behind this aside of mere Steam aversion. As a modder (despite in reserve) i would appreciate what precisely those reasons could be. How exacly can Steamworks limit our current abbility to mod? (Of my own i also wonder about dll extention modding) Can't we simply bypass Steamworks as a facility?

- Are we talking about permanent consequences, or BI may retreat in some way?

- Will we be able to control the current version of the executable, both in terms of willfull upgrading and downgrading? (Betas being branched out should not pose a problem)

- Offline and online gameplay issues. Will we still be able to play single player without launching Steam, after obvious one time validation? Will multiplayer access to dedicated servers require Steam running? (lets see these issues separately) Someone also mentioned LAN.

- General impact on the community at large, and what do we really stand to loose?

- After all have been considered, have we found proof of Jesus? or should we be concerned as consumers afterall and start preaching rights?

I can relate to some of the sketicism, I would suggest BI to help and clarify in detail the most serious concerns before feeding the Alpha hype beast. Some issues may be for the better, others for the worse, having defined the latter, workarounds should be set in place, in the form of "transition" guides as Old Painless suggested or whatever else. As appreciative of this community I am, I will hand my contribution.

I remain optimistic, both BI and Steam have grown up solidly on me, I deposit much confidence in them, but confidence is still of liquid behaviour.

"BIS games always are bug ridden, patch them!"

>>>>

"Don't update my game BIS!"

97009159.png

If you don't want to use Steam Workshop for whatever reason you've cooked up you can just use Armaholic or Six or just release the files on these forums.

No, it's not "hot bullshit". It's a legitimate reason why many addon makers have moved on. If that is what they choose then that's what they do, and you can't change it. Even if you release something on here, what's to stop some asshole from taking your work and publishing it on the steamworkshop without crediting you and such?

I'm not talking about releasing content on Steam Workshop. I'm talking about content creators which skip A3 completely because they don't want to use Steam. And obviously there are quite a few if those I talked with today on Skype were not fakes.

[....] I hope BIS can find a solution that is satisfactory for everyone in the community.

And I am sure they will. They know what's at stake, their community.

And yes it will be tuff times. No ACE3, yea! :(

I'm not talking about releasing content on Steam Workshop. I'm talking about content creators which skip A3 completely because they don't want to use Steam. And obviously there are quite a few if those I talked with today on Skype were not fakes.

YES. I definately will not be moving over...........

Biggest kick in the balls to wake up to these "news".

Now, if it turns out it's also VAC-enabled I definetly won't buy ARMA 3.

Well I think steam just adds another layer to modded games. It does not make it easier as can be seen in any Arma help forum. The vast majority of problems people post come back to users with steam installs and trying to get them to run with mods. And thats with just the way we have steam now.

I will hold my final judgement untill we get some more answers to questions like these:

Is steam work shop going to be optional?

Can addons be released outside of the workshop?

If you can release out side of SWS is this going to cause the server running these mods to be de-listed or listed in the steam browser as un-official?

How is multi-player testing going to be done with mods in development.

How are mods like (Acre,jayarma2lib,arma2dotnet...) going to be treated?

Will we be able to have private mods? And still play on public servers?

What about client side only mods?

I would like to know a lot more...

Haha it's funny seeing this thread from so long ago. Their plans were very different back than.

Maybe my thread made a difference? :)

Anyways, great news. Just another reason to be excited for ArmA 3. This will make joining private coop games much much easier and quicker.

Next feature we need: Auto-Mod Downloads!

Lmao. It's 2013, time to take off the tin foil hat.

This is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. A VIRUS? Is this serious? Oh man I can't even continue typing I'm laughing so hard!

Oh my god auto-downloading would be absolutely insane.

I know CS:GO is already capable of downloading new maps during the prior round, crazy fun and easy to test new maps off the Workshop on a public server! Imagine playing new missions literally as they pop up on the Workshop!

As for modders leaving because it's on Steam (which is hilarious I must add), they'll be replaced by millions of Steam users. Besides, if they leave where are they going to go? ArmA is the only game like ArmA, and how active is ArmA1 right now?

As for modders leaving because it's on Steam (which is hilarious I must add), they'll be replaced by millions of Steam users. Besides, if they leave where are they going to go? ArmA is the only game like ArmA, and how active is ArmA1 right now?

Replaced by what? Elite modders who complain already when they must create 2 folders on their hard drive? Yeah for sure all of the sudden with Steam-only all kind of "modders" come out of the nothing.

Edited by W0lle

@ W0lle, lol I know most of the steam users that post on the forums can not even get their game running with mods... let alone develop them.

The hyperbole is amazing, as Dean Hall would say "Your tears are delicious".

I would have to concur and say Project Reality Arma 2/3 is full steam ahead :D

Replaced by what? Elite modders who complain already when they must create 2 folders on their hard drive? Yeah for sure all of the sudden with Steam only all kind of "modders" come out of the nothing.

lol, do you think Steam users are stupid?

Replaced by what? Elite modders who complain already when they must create 2 folders on their hard drive? Yeah for sure all of the sudden with Steam-only all kind of "modders" come out of the nothing.

If it uses steam workshop, then people would no longer have to complain about creating new folders just to install mods. They'd just have to click a button to download/install.

Well this new news will make my wife happy.

Swat has been hosting servers since flashpoint.

Shame that is all coming to a end.

Steam =

no arma 3 for me.

lol, do you think Steam users are stupid?

Of course not. I call them 'simple minded' because the majority is interested in playing the game and not creating content for it. But feel free to show me how much unique content (not ripped from other games) your million Steam users have created for ArmA2 so far.

Edited by W0lle

Steam at its best :p

7ba433a533f842490070000a8b48ea60.jpg

And it sometimes feels like this..

PYouO5wSvOg

Of course not. I call them 'simple minded' because the majority is interested in playing the game and not creating content for it. But feel free to show me how much unique (not ripped from other games) your million Steam users have created for ArmA2 so far.

Lol I have to put this in my signature. sorry.

Yeah can't wait to see I44 on Steam Workshop with "due credit" of course to xXxxSniperz4505xXxx or ACE3 now with zombiezzzzz

Steam +1

Parochial and cantankerous old men will be dragged kicking and screaming into the century of the fruitbat.

-k