Sign in to follow this  
enad

ArmA 3 on Steamworks?

Will you buy Arma 3 (Steam exclusive)  

433 members have voted

1. 1. Will you buy Arma 3 (Steam exclusive)

• Yes
    • No

One funny thing on this thread is that we have people who sang the praises of BIS for not being tied down to one distributor/distribution method. Now, with this news, some of those same people are defending this move saying it will be great. What?

I don't have a problem with Steam per se and I don't, at least didn't mind, Steam exclusive games but it's getting far too common nowadays. Arma 3 is the latest one to be swallowed up by something that's turning into The Blob.

To those who say "you're just whining". How is wanting to protect my consumer rights and options not good? How is being against the Steam dominance on digital distribution bad? Steam isn't even good value for money where I live. The more of a share it gets in the digital distribution market the more we, the consumer, get shafted since there's no real competition.

I'm a huge fan of what BIS have done with their games since I first played the OFP demo way back in 2001 and I was looking forward to Arma 3. Not so keen now though, unless it's really good.

Oh yeah, reading these bits in the blog post triggered a little alarm bell. That they haven't gotten much attention is surprising.

...we were not happy with how the project was going...do all we can to release Arma 3 in 2013.

Wow, what happened?

Sum up perfectecly what i am thinking. The Steam "one to bind them all" mentality is really annoying and this move doesn't stick very well with

Bohemia Interactive is an independent game development studio

So you're saying that there are steam games that allow LAN multiplayer in offline mode?

Yes, as I said already. LAN multiplayer is possible with offline mode. :) Counterstrike: Source LAN multiplayer already works with offline mode.

ArmA III just needs support for it, but I think the devs are integrating it.

One funny thing on this thread is that we have people who sang the praises of BIS for not being tied down to one distributor/distribution method. Now, with this news, some of those same people are defending this move saying it will be great. What?

I don't have a problem with Steam per se and I don't, at least didn't mind, Steam exclusive games but it's getting far too common nowadays. Arma 3 is the latest one to be swallowed up by something that's turning into The Blob.

To those who say "you're just whining". How is wanting to protect my consumer rights and options not good? How is being against the Steam dominance on digital distribution bad? Steam isn't even good value for money where I live. The more of a share it gets in the digital distribution market the more we, the consumer, get shafted since there's no real competition.

I'm a huge fan of what BIS have done with their games since I first played the OFP demo way back in 2001 and I was looking forward to Arma 3. Not so keen now though, unless it's really good.

Oh yeah, reading these bits in the blog post triggered a little alarm bell. That they haven't gotten much attention is surprising.

...we were not happy with how the project was going...do all we can to release Arma 3 in 2013.

Wow, what happened?

I agree. I don't want ArmA 3 to be tied down to something I may or may not want, and in this case definitely do not want. Valve is trying to make Steam a monopoly on digital game distribution, as part of their quest for control and money. Steambox is another step down that road, but that's another story.

Wow, what happened?

Indeed I'm surprised no one commented those.

Absolute STEAMing pile of shite. So we have to voluntarily have a virus on our pc's to own and run the game.

Not much point of buying a physical copy of the game is there? Similar to ClOD, a physical copy was just smoke and mirrors.

YESSS ITS OFFICIAL http://www.bistudio.com/english/company/developers-blog/356-arma3-steam-dev-blog

It will a steam work. finally. my prayers have been answered well done BIS

Haha it's funny seeing this thread from so long ago. Their plans were very different back than.

Maybe my thread made a difference? :)

Anyways, great news. Just another reason to be excited for ArmA 3. This will make joining private coop games much much easier and quicker.

Next feature we need: Auto-Mod Downloads!

Absolute STEAMing pile of shite. So we have to voluntarily have a virus on our pc's to own and run the game.

Not much point of buying a physical copy of the game is there? Similar to ClOD, a physical copy was just smoke and mirrors.

Lmao. It's 2013, time to take off the tin foil hat.

This is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. A VIRUS? Is this serious? Oh man I can't even continue typing I'm laughing so hard!

Haha it's funny seeing this thread from so long ago. Their plans were very different back than.

Maybe my thread made a difference? :)

Anyways, great news. Just another reason to be excited for ArmA 3. This will make joining private coop games much much easier and quicker.

Next feature we need: Auto-Mod Downloads!

Lmao. It's 2013, time to take off the tin foil hat.

This is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. A VIRUS? Is this serious? Oh man I can't even continue typing I'm laughing so hard!

Auto-mod downloads would be convenient but give us a list of the mods and their sizes so we can verify whether or not we want to download all of them, some of them, or none of them.

Enad, I'm a strictly off-line gamer - I see you are not. Unless STEAM has changed a lot since I last had it installed, if you are an off-line gamer it behaves indistinguishably from a VIRUS.

Steam community, Steam workshop, Steam marketplace, Steam is the place to be. All my juicy games all in one place, alert messages when clan matches start, friends list, too much juice.

Can you tell me how a virus behaves? I don't have a clue what you mean, steam is nothing like a virus.

The last time I had STEAM installed, it persisted in being ever-present in my registry and bombarding me with special offers and adverts - that's similar to a virus is it not?

Maybe I'm wrong...

Not only does it use Steamworks DRM, but they said they will expand upon Steam's current DRM. Yeah, that's exactly what I want with my game :j:

I'm with archsceptic (maybe not the virus part...) - I play offline a lot and often have no internet connection. Steam offline mode only works for a certain number of days after your last log in. I will not buy Arma 3 until they have removed their "expanded" "intrusive" (their words, even!) DRM and made Arma 3 available through a DRM-free source. If that takes longer than a few weeks, I'll just wait until it's on Steam sale for really cheap, then obtain it through other (free...) means instead of downloading it through Steam.

Any info on future linux version? Too early?

Had to ask. :)

The last time I had STEAM installed, it persisted in being ever-present in my registry and bombarding me with special offers and adverts - that's similar to a virus is it not?

Maybe I'm wrong...

Uh, I think you maybe had a REAL virus. Steam NEVER does that to me. When was the last time you had Steam installed? And from where did you install it? Wow. Never heard of that. That's really strange.

Wow, what happened?

Sum up perfectecly what i am thinking. The Steam "one to bind them all" mentality is really annoying and this move doesn't stick very well with

Exactly my opinion, it's obvious if you look at past polls on ArmA 3 board that most people will be absolutely disgusted if ArmA 3 becomes a steamwork game.

Why would BIS abandon reason for madness?

Maybe I'm wrong...

You would be. A virus merely replicates itself and does sundry other things, if that. What you have sounds like adware, which targets you with ads.

Not only does it use Steamworks DRM, but they said they will expand upon Steam's current DRM. Yeah, that's exactly what I want with my game :j:

I'm with archsceptic (maybe not the virus part...) - I play offline a lot and often have no internet connection. Steam offline mode only works for a certain number of days after your last log in. I will not buy Arma 3 until they have removed their "expanded" "intrusive" (their words, even!) DRM and made Arma 3 available through a DRM-free source. If that takes longer than a few weeks, I'll just wait until it's on Steam sale for really cheap, then obtain it through other (free...) means instead of downloading it through Steam.

Same, funny how they highlight "you can play steam games in offline mode" on dev blog when they clearly haven't tested it!

Everyone knows steam offline mode is a half-assed attempt which doesn't work, you will be forced to log in back online after a few days.

It's the exact reason I've been skipping steam games for the past years, absolutely hate its intrusive DRM system.

Guess I won't be buying A3 on release, may even skip it altogether.

Same, funny how they highlight "you can play steam games in offline mode" on dev blog when they clearly haven't tested it!

Everyone knows steam offline mode is a half-assed attempt which doesn't work, you will be forced to log in back online after a few days.

It's the exact reason I've been skipping steam games for the past years, absolutely hate its intrusive DRM system.

Intrusive? How? Please provide evidence of this "intrusion" of Steam's DRM system. As far as DRM goes, it's the least intrusive there is. Or maybe you'd prefer Ubisoft's DRM system?

Aside from that, you must not have used steam offline mode very much, if at all. It works fine. Any problems that I might have experienced with it were easily solved by a computer restart.

Guess I won't be buying A3 on release, may even skip it altogether.

Same. Steamworks can kiss my hairy nutsack.

I have no problem with Steam.

I do have a problem with BIS games and Steam, I'll never have them on steam. I prefer to have them in the normal directories like the older games. So I guess if this is a mandatory requirement I may not be purchasing.

Just saw this idea in the comments over on Rock Paper Shotgun: “Assuming sales of ArmA 3 meet expectations we will have a non-DRM version of Arma 3 ready sometime in 2014″.

If they're frantic over release day leaks then a later drm free release, patched up-to-date negates that concern. As long as it is clearly stipulated that you're not going to get the "features" that come with steamworks then it at least gives customers options. No point in wasting money on a glorified rental until then.

As long as Steam doesn't affect modding possibilities, or force patching (even if you've unchecked it in your settings), Steam shouldn't be a problem for me. But Steam Workshop is a major NO. Skyrim proved that the Steam support is useless and doesn't have much respect for mod authors. There's a lot of theft and unpermitted re-uploads going on there and little is done about it. I've seen many great modders leaving communities and terminating promising projects because of this. My own texture-pack have been re-uploaded there by some random users three times without permissions, and it takes weeks of nagging for Steam support to take it down.

Just a headsup for BIS, considering how strict we are here about permissions and copyrights in mod content (Which is good). Workshop is just bad news.