Sign in to follow this  
teaboy

BETA Demo Prior To release, for BUG testing (for Pre-orders/selected members only).

I think that giving out a Beta test to the public would be a good idea.

I think you listed some of the problems, but left out a pretty obvious one - people are stupid. Unless they're fans of the series, and even then it's not certain, they're just going to mistake it for a demo and cry out loud when they notice that the speedometer display is stuck at zero.

My suggestion is that BIS, if they pursue a public beta, put in a disclaimer that says something roughly like this:

This public beta is not the finished product, nor does it reflect any of the finished product's flaws.

:yay:

Edited by OnlyRazor

even better -> this product is NOT CODBFMOHA, and it requires brain 2.1 (copyrights belong to myke) in order to enjoy. Sometimes i wish some of the games would require, besides the CD key or whatever else, a quick IQ test in order to install...

That said, i am all for making beta available for pre-orders (see tkoh alpha releases) rather than a real free for all public beta...

even better -> this product is NOT CODBFMOHA, and it requires brain 2.1 (copyrights belong to myke) in order to enjoy

Wow, TVTropes was right. These forums are hating on casual gamers way more than they probably do towards games like Arma. Makes me sad :(

I understand that those games don't need much thinking, but that is not the same as its players not having any/up-to-date brains.

Wow, TVTropes was right. These forums are hating on casual gamers way more than they probably do towards games like Arma. Makes me sad :(

I understand that those games don't need much thinking, but that is not the same as its players not having any/up-to-date brains.

I own COD2, BF2, BF3 and i have enjoyed all for what they are. There is a difference between enjoying a game (whatever that is), and comparing apples with pies. And that is exactly what it will happen with a public release.

That happens with every public beta (latest i have played was BF3) where there are hundreds of people spaming forums and threads with their so called problems and suggestions.

Wow, TVTropes was right. These forums are hating on casual gamers way more than they probably do towards games like Arma.

I think the hating is on casual gamers as beta testers, and I agree with PuFu... casual gamers typically make horrible beta testers simply because they don't want to do real testing, they just want to play the game before anyone else.

That happens with every public beta (latest i have played was BF3) where there are hundreds of people spaming forums and threads with their so called problems and suggestions.

I think anyone should be allowed to join a public beta (otherwise it is unlikely I would get in...), but the ability to download subsequent betas should be dependent on the quality of a person's input and bug reports on the current version. Any beta testers forum should be password protected and heavily moderator. The moderators should be ruthless deleting meaningless bug reports and feature requests... anyone posting a feature request should be automatically booted from the beta testas they obviously don't understand the purpose of beta testing.

To the above two posts - True and true. Casual gamers don't beta test very well since they usually mistake betas for demos.

The only sensible way to go should a beta exist is to make it pre-order available, since the people who bought it probably know it's a beta.

Hi, i think that a Closed Beta could benefit the game, given it to addon makers, scripters, mission makers and the people that has actualy worked with and for the game series; BIS know who they're and their dedication.

I did things for the ArmA, but i needed alot of help so give it to people like me, wouldn't help that much in comparison, to identify and solve (offering solutions) the bugs in the Closed Beta; once they've located and solved the models, textures and game's mechanics related bugs... they could pass to a Public Beta state to hunt and fix the bugs related to different hardware configurations. IMO, that could work to release a more polished and better final product to the customers.

In that way... we could aboid to have very important bugs and game breaking ones as we still have nowadays on the ArmA2 since it's release. As example... the Aimpoint's Glass bug, that unables you to see (read: aim) through the Aimpoint sights at certain times of the day. Annoying code related bugs as that one that makes the AI look West while they fire at the South, model related bugs as the M1911 sights, shadow and slide; the M14-DMR is not held by the hand grip, etc etc etc... .

With a in deep Beta Test all this things won't be there and i think that have 1St a Closed Beta testing by people who knows how the game works and how the bugs could be solved and then, a Public Beta for the hardware related issues... could be good for achive a better final product to the customers that gonna pay for it. Let's C ya

BIS should really do some closed Beta testing by giving the software to active and dedicated communities. They will propably test the new game with the most passion.

Of course those communities would have to preorder the game to get access. Maybe BIS could give them a small discount for Beta testing

Hi, i don't see the need of pre-order to get access to the Closed Beta, i think that with sign a rational free agreement of cooperation with BIS will be enough; you could see something on the beta that don't makes you want to get the game, so the pre-order will be more a pain than anything, to ask for a refund and send back the retail copy for example. It could happen.

The people who can do a real and almost proffesional Beta Testing sure that will sing the agreement with the eyes closed because they don't mind and want to make a good job for the good of the game, force 'em to pre-order is to me worst than sign a rational Beta Testing agreement. Let's C ya

So do what Eagle Dynamics do and have a closed beta team and go along the same lines as they did with the A-10C.

I like how they did the early release of take-on, i say something more or less like that not giving away game play but a shell we can get in and play around on.. with the active enviroment and such should be put out well before release, so we can get a handle on it and give any nessesary feedback to BI before the main release. but with that i am pre-ordering asap, with the understanding that it would be acceptable for another 3-9 months after its launch.

also with those of you that say you should have to "login" to an account server to play the game, thats a deal breaker for this game, it will get in the way modding and other external server mod/security, and cause problems with game play. the GUID system thats currently in place works well, i have even placed my own security mods to control hacking/dupe/bugs that "be" does not catch, that if i had to verify a person through a "account server" it would leave gigantic holes. From a modders point of view its a horrible idea.

Edited by rawdoglife

Selecte members ?? you mean developpers friends ? that play the single player all the day ? and get the game fit to their needs ??

No thanks !!

(i'm whining btw)

Selecte members ?? you mean developpers friends ? that play the single player all the day ? and get the game fit to their needs ??

No thanks !!

(i'm whining btw)

Hi, i was not talking about the fan boys that spend their time sucking up to BIS, i was thinking more in those addon/mod makers that know about models and textures making aswell as mission making and "the thing behind the scene" that are the ones who can offer more for get a polished product for the public in less time; we're talking about a "commercial relationship" (even when this Beta Testers wouldn't win nothing, in economic therms) where BIS get a good help to reduce their job load on their side and the Beta Testers and consumers/players get better or good enough product on the release day, so everyone wins.

There're people who could help to get a better product on the release day and they don't need to be friendly or warm and comfy with BIS... they just have to do their job as beta testers, for the game, not for BIS; BIS will win money with this and we'll win a better game in less time, everyone happy. Let's C ya

Sadly ,there are people who have some kind of priority here you just have to take a look to the CIT ... i know that your intentions are good ... but it won't be the way you imagine it ...

(I"m concluding)

It'd be nice to do the TKoH route, but maybe more before the release date. It'd be nice to have some input while there's chance for the input to actually get used for release.

We've already input quite a bit in the OA betas (I'm fully certain they are using feedback right now to build the engine up for A3 and fix some things we complain about).

where can i pre-order ,if i buy arma 3 in amazon.de then i have pre-order ?

I think BIS could benefit from public demo of arma3 more than not releasing any public at all.

Maybe not everyone is capable of reporting glitches to CIT the way its required but big part of BIS fun

base is more than capable and if BIS could use free help to create even more awsome A3,

they should, in my opinion, use it as much as they possibly can.

CIT was indeed the fine example

I think Arma 3 will need to get the best reviews

( and mouth to mouth advertising and game reviewers) it possibly can,

from day one, not after 3 months or a year.

I think Arma 3 will need to get the best reviews

( and mouth to mouth advertising and game reviewers) it possibly can,

from day one, not after 3 months or a year.

>>+1<<

>>+1<<

+1 here as well.

The quality of the game at release will decide if we end up with the amount of players we have in ArmA 2 or a much larger player base.

I know BIS always stands behind their products long term, but fixing something at the end of the product's life cycle is just a treat to the hardcore few that are left over, it won't do anything for the game's popularity.

A Open beta test with NO support form system would be a headache to some extent. I believe BIS need to lighten up and use Dev-heaven and force people to report bugs confined to a strict guideline. And beta testing a game you love is going to be fun, only time when its not fun is when its a game you really could not care for.

So I disagree with the 'beta testing is not fun and boring' angle some chaps like to use in order to dismiss the importance of open beta testing. The only issue is moderators need to work harder to group problems together when people of the public don't report correctly. Its better then doing closed beta testing, releasing game, getting 10,000 posts in the first day over random bugs that somehow never appeared during closed private testing. ;)

There is a long list of companies releasing games untested these days, or tested via private groups whom appear to be CRAP at it as some of the bugs that get through are amazing!

BIS just needs to create a small group of top modders, scripters and other influential people here on the forums and on other sites.

Maybe 20 people, all which would be finding imbalances, game breaking bugs (like in the Arma 2 initial release German version), finding exploits in the system testing the servers and perhaps helping with the documentation and tutorials for the game before release.

After Arma 2s release I think its safe to say it would be in BIS best interest to allow a small group to have access to the game early to help them with Quality Assurance.

No thanks !!

(i'm whining btw)

I would pick the people who took the time and effort to help with bug finding. ie The DEV Heaven members.... A little appreciation for their time... and will encourage other people to help instead of just whining...:)... Help BIS help you....

BIS just needs to create a small group of top modders, scripters and other influential people here on the forums and on other sites.

Maybe 20 people, all which would be finding imbalances, game breaking bugs (like in the Arma 2 initial release German version), finding exploits in the system testing the servers and perhaps helping with the documentation and tutorials for the game before release.

After Arma 2s release I think its safe to say it would be in BIS best interest to allow a small group to have access to the game early to help them with Quality Assurance.

this is a good idea

It would be downright scandalous if BIS don't choose me to be the lead beta tester, I might even consider providing my sevices at a low discount price if they send me a couple of ARMA3 T-shirts.