Sign in to follow this  
hawk66de

scripting

@Devs:

My hope would be that the whole scripting approach changes to industry-standards like Python/Lua with an OO-library and not hundreds of scripting commands and no real debugger.

Also to include own .DLLs would be awesome!

Don't get me wrong: The engine is very capable and open but it would be just awesome if you take this road.

If that's not possible due to time/resource constraints: An alternative might be to provide a bridge to those mentioned technologies (so calling a python script directly from arma script etc.). So then you can use ArmaScript to control the engine and Python etc. to implement complex algorithms, which are debuggable etc.

Just my 2 cents.

My hope would be that the whole scripting approach changes to industry-standards like Python/Lua with an OO-library and not hundreds of scripting commands and no real debugger.

Just to respond to the comment about Python/Lua being industry standards: since when is using an industry standard necessarily a good thing? The ArmA series stands out because BIS avoids adapting industry legacies (which are often times just awful, and are only used because they have been deemed as so-called "standards"). I mean, ArmA would be a totally different game if they went with the floating first-person shooter camera with fixed gun model "standard."

Just to respond to the comment about Python/Lua being industry standards: since when is using an industry standard necessarily a good thing? The ArmA series stands out because BIS avoids adapting industry legacies (which are often times just awful, and are only used because they have been deemed as so-called "standards"). I mean, ArmA would be a totally different game if they went with the floating first-person shooter camera with fixed gun model "standard."

But the way it isn't just a floating FPS camera is a very crucial part of the game. However if they would ADD the scripting languages it wouldn't take anything from the game.

i would not mind having sqs,sqf,fsm replaced by python :)

But the way it isn't just a floating FPS camera is a very crucial part of the game. However if they would ADD the scripting languages it wouldn't take anything from the game.

It would further divide the already heavily fractured community. There would be people still using SQF, and people switching to the new language, and overall there would be less productivity (at least for a while).

But really, if it ain't broke don't fix it. SQF should be expanded before adapting a totally new language. SQF still has a lot of potential, and I would rather see BIS work on expanding it (say adding some sort of native OO framework) than to just deprecate it.

(say adding some sort of native OO framework) than to just deprecate it.

thats is most likely whats going to happen if they deside to upgrade to OO.

but i do not think A3 will ever have this.. maybe a4 or a5 if there ever be any

Yeah this is never going to happen so stop making posts about it.

LUA/Python will not be implemented and if you think SQF isn't strong enough, then you aren't using it enough to know what it can and cannot do.