Sign in to follow this  
Leopardi

AUDIO! Make it right this time!

Hi again Leopardi,

Yes, I know exactly what you mean mate, there could be more variations for each sound, and maybe make the explosions and weapon sounds more powerful and varied.

I'm also pretty sure that BI knows that they can do much better, and probably they will.

I was just :eek: at your "Pure Garbage" comment...:D

Cheers,

_neo_

well yeah I rushed a bit with the first post, fixed it now

Are you guys talking about this one here? :D

It really is annoying! :D

Are you guys talking about this one here? :D

It really is annoying! :D

Yep that's the one... like a placeholder left in the game from a pre-pre-alpha version.

This is how a tank cannon sounds in real life:

Let me correct this one: this is how a tank cannon [recorded with just one mic, probably of poor quality, uploaded to youtube, and played back on my laptop speakers] sounds. Not to mention the obvious environmental factors.

Let me correct this one: this is how a tank cannon [recorded with just one mic, probably of poor quality, uploaded to youtube, and played back on my laptop speakers] sounds. Not to mention the obvious environmental factors.

On top of that it's recorded from a fair distance away which distorts it even more. Stand next to it and assuming your recording device can handle it, it'll sound more like a giant "snap" followed by the release of the gasses from the barrel. Kind of like how it sounds in ArmA II.

On top of that it's recorded from a fair distance away which distorts it even more. Stand next to it and assuming your recording device can handle it, it'll sound more like a giant "snap" followed by the release of the gasses from the barrel. Kind of like how it sounds in ArmA II.

I was referring to all the environmental factors. In arma at any distance its just a "zoomf". Also I've stood next to a T34 firing its 85mm cannon, it sounded more like an explosion than a "snap" and the shockwave made the snow masses on the ground move. In any case the arma 2 sound cannot be considered a real-life simulation at all.

Edited by Leopardi

i think rather than arguing about wether the arma 2 stock sounds are realistic ( which is a discussion without any end, because its based on personal opinions...)

We should focus on the technical aspect.

Things like being able to switch from different soundsamples, when one of it is not yet over

Different soundsamples based on the sources position

and some new entries would be very interesting

i would like to have Holophonic sounds :D

bAQVx8DqHNA

Does anyone know if 'brake' sounds are possible along with different types of ground? For example when you get drive off the road and on to a gravel road you see the jittering but you don't get the audio cue of rocks being kicked up.

Likewise when the vehicle brakes are pushed you don't hear the disc being hugged or the sound of rubber if you stop at a high speed.

Raw Sound Sources + Material and Surrounding + Volume + Distortion + Sound Collecting = Sound/Hearing Simulation.

Even 10 audio cards with EAX5.0 and 1GB RAM, it won't be able to simulate that in real time...

Raw Sound Sources + Material and Surrounding + Volume + Distortion + Sound Collecting = Sound/Hearing Simulation.

Even 10 audio cards with EAX5.0 and 1GB RAM, it won't be able to simulate that in real time...

BF3 will have 80 audio channels per one vehicle, for different sounds for different kind of angles. With 1 CPU core. Also distant sounds are very well modelled on the HDR engine. You can have very realistic audio on todays hardware, that's not an obstacle.

BF3 will have 80 audio channels per one vehicle, for different sounds for different kind of angles. With 1 CPU core. Also distant sounds are very well modelled on the HDR engine. You can have very realistic audio on todays hardware, that's not an obstacle.

What about massive quantity of sounds simulating together? Like... historical epic wars which is thousands soldiers with their own voices of war-cries, and another thousands of weapon noises simulating together in one scene?

the audio needs work, no doubt about it.

I dont mean the audio sources, but the audio engine. Needs to have proper processing like in BF2 etc.

yes and there is a significant size between BF3's team and Arma3's.

It's kind of getting there, I wonder though if it is possible to have say on a helicopter, well we know main and tail rotors are seperate but can engines be seperate as well, or how about landing, there is no THUNK or sound of rubber which detracts greately from many vehicles aspects such as slamming brakes or comming to land on a runway.

Yet I cannot help but be curious if these things exist and they just aren't taken advantage of.

Edited by NodUnit

yes and there is a significant size between BF3's team and Arma3's.

It's kind of getting there, I wonder though if it is possible to have say on a helicopter, well we know main and tail rotors are seperate but can engines be seperate as well, or how about landing, there is no THUNK or sound of rubber which detracts greately from many vehicles aspects such as slamming brakes or comming to land on a runway.

Yet I cannot help but be curious if these things exist and they just aren't taken advantage of.

Well look at RO1 sounds. You hear distant gunfire, explosions, tank cannon sounds realistically different than you do close up. Simply using a distance swapping for sound files. The sounds are excellent in that game too.

Audio is more important then graphics in my books.

If arma 3 has Arma 2 quality sounds its going to be a large turn off regardless of the sound mods which will take awhile to come out.

Sound engine needs work, hell everything needs alot of work which im worried about how Arma 3 is launching sometime in summer 2012 thats not alot of time.......

and you believe that? where did you read it ?

what i found are speculations of 80 sounds total, probably EAX etc., so these bombastic values are imo just wishful thinking

or it ends like the BC2 where 16 simultaneous 3D sounds overlaps and not even play correctly (some being completely muted) and fake reverbs/echos :) ?

just note that with with A2:OA engine You can

already achieve 128 simultaneous sounds in 3D (see your audio options ingame)

and plus N simultaneous sounds in 2D (in worst case 255 soft limit (not sure atm.)

My ears bleed when I hear that same boom. And it's not just lack of variety. There is no distance (air absorbtion etc.) or echoing taken into account at all, it's just the same boring soundfile being triggered, thats how advanced the sound engine is. Of course there are near perfect sounds too, like tank engines, the PKT, the jet sounds or the helicopter cockpit sounds. I wouldn't change them.

But when you look at the overall audio experience for the average grunt crawling on the battlefield, it is just downright poor. My personal review for the overall audio experience excluding some vehicles is pure garbage, 3/10. In my opinion, audio is one of the biggest factors that make playing enjoyable in a large scale milsim game such as ArmA. Overlooking it is just bad business. I don't feel like "being there" with arma II default audio.

Take example from Tripwire, they have spent more time on the audio department of RO2 alone than the whole development of RO1.

Have you actually heard any of these sounds in real life? Not from movies or the internet. How can you judge what's realistic and what's not?

the sound fx and technology use is a very important feature in a game, just imagine a racing game with all the phisics and graphics to the max, and with sounds like toy cars :s

Have you actually heard any of these sounds in real life? Not from movies or the internet. How can you judge what's realistic and what's not?

I don't understand. Are you saying that you can't tell if ArmA II sounds are realistic or not? Then good luck to you.

Some people believes that the M9 sounds like the movies, with a HUGE BANG and a HUGE muzzle flash, with a HUGE Recoil, and bodies exploding in thousands parts on impact. But in RL it just does pew! pew! pew! xD

and you believe that? where did you read it ?

what i found are speculations of 80 sounds total, probably EAX etc., so these bombastic values are imo just wishful thinking

or it ends like the BC2 where 16 simultaneous 3D sounds overlaps and not even play correctly (some being completely muted) and fake reverbs/echos :) ?

just note that with with A2:OA engine You can

already achieve 128 simultaneous sounds in 3D (see your audio options ingame)

and plus N simultaneous sounds in 2D (in worst case 255 soft limit (not sure atm.)

Is it unhealthy to see you developers bigger than some rockstars?

Agreed on the game needing better sounds, but I wouldn't say Arma2's audio is "pure garbage". Typical kiddie hyperbole...

It is... for some sounds. Ever listen to some of the helicopter sounds? Very awful. I find it odd to since some of the weapons such as the PKT can use the PKM sounds. I am sure they sound similar.

For the most part, the sounds in ArmA 2 AO where good enough for me.