Sign in to follow this  
Keine

Regarding complaints about realism in ARMA III

To further support what the OP said , here is a little dialogue :

Guy from the future 1 : Hello guy from the future 2 !

Guy from the future 2 : Hello guy from the future 1 !

GF 1 : It's a nice day today , xx.xx.2025 ( for example ) !

GF 2. Yes , a beautiful day . I was walking along the southern coast of the fictional island we are on and I saw NATO/US forces armed with FN 2000's .

GF1 : That's impossible !!!!1

GF 2: How so ?

GF1 : They did not use FN 2000's in 2011/2012 !!!

GF 2: It's 2025 ...

GF 1: I know right , it's sooo unrealistic !!!!

GF 2: Sure ... I also saw a RAH 66 and a Kavok ( :D )

GF 1: That's impossible and unrealistic !!!one

GF 2: How so ? Although the RAH 66 was canceled in 2004 it was operational and regarding the Kavok they simply switched the rotor design on the Havoc with that from the KA 50/52 .

GF 1 : :mad: yeah but .... I wish I lived in the 80's - 90's , things were waaaay more realistic back then .

GF 2: Sure they were :rolleyes:

Take it with a grain of salt ... ;)

To further support what the OP said , here is a little dialogue :

Guy from the future 1 : Hello guy from the future 2 !

Guy from the future 2 : Hello guy from the future 1 !

GF 1 : It's a nice day today , xx.xx.2025 ( for example ) !

GF 2. Yes , a beautiful day . I was walking along the southern coast of the fictional island we are on and I saw NATO/US forces armed with FN 2000's .

GF1 : That's impossible !!!!1

GF 2: How so ?

GF1 : They did not use FN 2000's in 2011/2012 !!!

GF 2: It's 2025 ...

GF 1: I know right , it's sooo unrealistic !!!!

GF 2: Sure ... I also saw a RAH 66 and a Kavok ( :D )

GF 1: That's impossible and unrealistic !!!one

GF 2: How so ? Although the RAH 66 was canceled in 2004 it was operational and regarding the Kavok they simply switched the rotor design on the Havoc with that from the KA 50/52 .

GF 1 : :mad: yeah but .... I wish I lived in the 80's - 90's , things were waaaay more realistic back then .

GF 2: Sure they were :rolleyes:

Take it with a grain of salt ... ;)

+1 strike, you have waaaay to much time on your hand is it? :D

i'm offended by this thread

I hope you are not serious otherwise, Oh noes the op should be banned now :rolleyes: djeeses

Edited by KBourne

I'm not worried. In fact, I am curious to see the exact direction they will be going with this. I have been around since the original OFP (well, not on the forums since then, but you get the idea), and I am excited to see them them taking a new direction with the franchise. As long as it doesn't turn into a Ghost Recon game, I'm cool with it. Besides, there are a LOT of cutting-edge military technologies they could employ; technologies that are being developed but have not been fielded yet. We could see things like the Northrop Grumman Firebird, Metal Storm, Smart Area denial systems, etc. Who knows?!

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/311m-for-xm7-spider-red-land-mines-02404/

Also, as an aerospace engineering student, I am EXSTATIC to see someone doing justice to the RAH-66 Commanche. I was very upset that they cancelled the program. It was one hell of a helicopter!

I don't care it is set 20 years from now. Rock on BIS!!!! Give us epic milsim

I'm from 2025 and I'm soooooo offended.

Me too, I can't believe they used those phased out POS Merks and everyone knows the Comanche only last 5 years after re-introduction in 2014 thanks to design flaws.

And where are the Challenger 3's?

Pffff, realism my arse.

OP just doesn't get it. I'm fine with all the storyline and shit, but I just don't like the futuristic technology that comes with it. Yeah, SCAR was pretty futuristic, but its only a damn gun. Now this changed most of the faction's weapons and equipment. That is something I wouldn't like. Everything in Arma 2 was modern.

You haven't seen everything in Arma 3 yet though. It's obvious they'd show the cool new stuff at first to draw the crowds. There's nothing to say the bad guys (or good guys) won't be wielding good old AKs and technicals too.

its not a merkava1\2\3 and its not mi28. use google to find out photos and list of modifications. its a fact and its disappointment.

Edited by sheffer

Well done OP for starting this thread. I was tempted to do it myself several times.

You all have valid points from your own perspectives but I will tell you one thing and please quote me on it next year...

You will still buy the game!!!

I'm not concerned about the 'unrealistic' weapons, vehicles and setting being in the future. Like the B-52 & AK-47, I suspect all the 'old' weapons & vehicles will still be around in 2025.

Now it's WAY too early to tell but what makes me take pause wrt to realism is this (from the Arma 2 CO website):

"Lifelike combat simulation including bullet ballistic & deflection, material penetration and more."

versus this describing Arma 3(from the Arma 3 website):

"a unique sandbox-style combat gameplay experience"

The operative difference being 'simulation' versus 'gameplay'.

Now if Arma 3 is BIS going mainstream (ala COD, MW, BF3, etc.) it may not be a bad thing. Certainly not for their coffers anyway and I'm all for that. And whatever it is I'll probably buy it (if by then I have a system that will run it).

Doesn't mean I won't dearly miss the high fidelity of Arma 2 though. I'm addicted to Arma 2 because it isn't a COD, MW, BF3, etc..

It would just be nicer if Arma 3 was Arma 2 with eyecandy.

What...

I seriously hope you over-simplified that. Otherwise, congratulations - you can now consider yourself part of the COD crowd. ;)

I don't understand the complaints either, the screenshots look beautiful and all looking very realistic to me. So its set in the future, that's not a bad thing, there is little need to for BI to simply pump out another game too similar to what they've already done. When it comes to how weapons work, and how we work with them I'm sure BI will make it as realistic as always. Really not sure what all the fuss is about, just a few nice screen shots that look like they're just trying to show of the new graphics more than anything else.

So we can waste all our time and money in this? You crazy?

What...

I seriously hope you over-simplified that. Otherwise, congratulations - you can now consider yourself part of the COD crowd. ;)

So we can waste all our time and money in this? You crazy?

OK... Not sure how that got so misinterpreted so lemme say it another way.

I'm hoping Arma 3 is NOT essentially a dumbed down 'game' version of Arma 2 meant for the likes of the mainstream COD crowd.

The way the website description reads I'm not so sure.

Thus my desire for Arma 3 to retain all the hi-fi simulation aspects of Arma 2 but with 'new & improved' physics effects. After all, it's why I use Blastcore and sound effects addons in Arma 2.

but even if it is a dumbed down version I'm sure modders will step up to the plate (ala Project Reality, A.C.E. team, etc.) to rectify the matter :)

That better?

There's a very good reason why you couldn't see them.

Just like how people talk about seeing ghosts but never gets them on film? LOL! ;)

in the end, YOU WILL BUY IT ANYWAY BECAUSE THE NAME ARMA IS IN THE TITLE.

How many Operation Flashpoint titles do exist? They keep the name, but people don't buy them :rolleyes:

OP just doesn't get it. I'm fine with all the storyline and shit, but I just don't like the futuristic technology that comes with it. Yeah, SCAR was pretty futuristic, but its only a damn gun. Now this changed most of the faction's weapons and equipment. That is something I wouldn't like. Everything in Arma 2 was modern.

Compare the gear we went into Iraq with and what we're using now. It's changed to almost unrecognisable levels for a lot of it. We use totally different camo's, different helmets, different webbing...

The US went in with M16's and it's rare you see them now, it's all some variant of the M4A1 no matter the branch. The SA80's we use now use ACOG instead of SUSAT, they're fitted with RAS plates and use bits made for the SOPMOD project.

Things change, it hasn't even been 10 years since then, and things are already quite different. Who's to say things won't change as much as they have by the date ArmA 3 is set? The story is they've been at war for a while. Things change very quickly when you're at war. Improvements are rushed into service and costs are cut where possible, so you end up with things you'd normally not have during peace time or under less stressful periods of budgeting.

OK... Not sure how that got so misinterpreted so lemme say it another way.

I'm hoping Arma 3 is NOT essentially a dumbed down 'game' version of Arma 2 meant for the likes of the mainstream COD crowd.

The way the website description reads I'm not so sure.

Thus my desire for Arma 3 to retain all the hi-fi simulation aspects of Arma 2 but with 'new & improved' physics effects. After all, it's why I use Blastcore and sound effects addons in Arma 2.

but even if it is a dumbed down version I'm sure modders will step up to the plate (ala Project Reality, A.C.E. team, etc.) to rectify the matter :)

That better?

They thought you meant it as being Arma3 but repackaged with higher graphics and thats it.

By ther way here are a few examples of some "future" tech used in war and erm..high business places.

Active Denial System http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyTehuk5p2c (using microwaves to deter people)

LRAD, acoustic sound deterrant

Metal storm

Airborne lasers

XM307

Spyder

Iron Fist

(vehicle protection)

Trophy

Expeditionary fighting vehicle (apc and high speed boat) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16iLkqDcFvU

Corner shot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMOmowaLVco&feature=related

NLOS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sMhxlZ8PE4&feature=related

We have combat robots.. http://dvice.com/assets_c/2009/05/QinetiQ-MAARS-combat-robot-thumb-550xauto-18426.jpg

It was said at their creation that helicopters would never be able to do some of the maneuvers that aircraft can, but now they can loop and barrel roll.

It was said that stealth technology couldn't exist then the B-2 and F-117 were shown.

It was said that unammaned vehicles could be the future..now we have them on the ground and air.

It was said that a hybrid between helicopter and plane could not exist, yet the V-22B Osprey says otherwise.

There are tons and tons of other things being tested, equipment that monitors a soldiers vital signs and position, relays camera feeds back in realtime and more,

A few more things

NLOSC http://www.armyrecognition.com/images/stories/north_america/united_states/artillery_vehicle/nlos-c_gun_system/pictures/nlos-c_gun_system_United_States_US-Army_005.jpg

How about these, do they look like they belong in our era? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ab/US_Navy_Sea_Shadow_stealth_craft.jpg or this http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/dangerroom/2009/11/lcs-2.jpg how about this tire http://blog.cardomain.com/tag/military/

I agree with what many have said, it isn't the content that matters but the core mechanics, how they behave and so on, we aren't seeing anything so crazy such as laser rifles (but given advances I wouldn't be surprised if it was being worked on)

The Armaverse is not our universe, the two share many traits but they are not the same, the RAH-66 may not have been cancelled in the Armaverse and was simply reserved for the most special of operations..either way the future we see in Arma3 is not as crazy as the future can be in reality.

Edited by NodUnit

i wonder if the big bad leader is a man with a gravely voice, with a big full accent. he probably has an eye patch and wears a nice suit. this means he is leader of bad guy. he most likely holds a nuclear missile bomb and will never give the nuclear missile bomb to the good guys. but, the main character will say "give the nuclear missile bomb to us leader enemy boss, and then put your hands up". he will reply with "okay", followed by "usa is dominate". this will be the end of the arma3 story.

"Bloody screen! Suhh-reaal..." :D

If it was goign to be mainstreme-ish /cod like/ super furtureistic it wouldnt be called arma 3 but would have a different name. Set in near future is alright, and you can tell it will be very similar to what we have now, and worst comes to worst, we still have arma 2 to play :)

I really hope BIS won't dumb it down though.

Because I'm sure they realize that the moment it becomes CoD/Battlefield it will flop hard - because people who play CoD and BF already have CoD and BF and we will have nothing

The US went in with M16's and it's rare you see them now, it's all some variant of the M4A1 no matter the branch.

Going to nitpick here. :)

The M16A4 is the standard issue rifle for the USMC and has been for the past few years. That is what the infantry carries.

The US Army uses the M4 as standard issue. Apparently they will convert these to M4A1s now (heavier barrel + full auto), with a possibility for a gas piston conversion.

I don't mind futuristic stuff as long as it seems plausible. FN SCAR, HK 416, or some other advanced AR-15 variant would be logical. A bullpup that is not even used at all here? Not very likely.

I'll just hope a decent mod comes out to fix all of that stuff before buying.

I'm sure A3 will be far better than A2, BIS is upgrading A2 code as they did in the past with previous titles. Im sure that in A3 we are going to find scripting commands originally created in ofp. ;)

A3 will probably have the same implementations of A2, plus many new features like, for istance, underwater operations and new physics system.

Edited by dfear

reading these complaints about the gear used in arma 3 and with what equipment US used in iraq and what they didnt makes me think, maybe US is not that big of a factor in the game?? maybe we have more european troops and Us plays a small role in this, maybe they´re engaged in the asia.. I would like this scenario very much as im getting to get sick of allways play as a yankee.

ps. im talking about the game only