Sign in to follow this  
walker

Do you want Laaagdoll Physics in ArmA 3?

Do You want Ragdoll Physics in ArmA 3  

475 members have voted

1. 1. Do You want Ragdoll Physics in ArmA 3

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Yes I am not bothered if it does not work!
    • No I understand that it cannot be sychronised in MP
    • Yes I have seen lots of games with it in MP but I can not name one at the moment.
    • No understand that no game maker has ever made it work.
    • I am not bothered.

Hi MadDogX

I refer you to my previous post ;)

Kind Regards walker

Not really interested in reading a wall of text right now. I'm just glad you were wrong. :)

Kind Regards MDX

Agreed, me too.

But was it really necessary for a "I told you so" post MadDog? :D

Edited by Murphe

I am still curious how it will handle or if it's disabled in MP. But it's reassuring to know we're not total mental midgets :D

Edited by froggyluv

I am still curious how it will handle or if it's disabled in MP. But it's reassuring to know we're not total mental midgets :D

The same way as normal bodies, only the torso is synchronized. It will add no lag server-wise, the same as ArmA 2. I wonder how people can not understand this?

LOl, I get that as DMarkwick's long standing suggestion but this hasn't been confirmed as the definite usage for MP -has it :confused:

Hell, it's about time.

Really though, ragdolls 4 lyf.

image.php?u=24402&dateline=13037452211YmIu.gifimage.php?u=75869&dateline=1307574598

Edited by Hobbesy

Bump. ARMA 3 NEEDS RAGDOLLS

§5) No Spam

We deem spam as making a thread or posting a reply that has no real worth, is irrelevant, useless and offers nothing to a discussion. Messages of banned members are also considered as spam. If your post/thread is not able to illicit or sustain an in depth conversation then it's spam. This also applies to other areas of the forums such as leaving visitor messages on people's profiles. Spam may be dealt with by post count reduction, PR and/or WL.

§7) Search before posting

If you have a question, please use the forum search function before posting to make sure that it hasn't been answered before. There is a big chance it has, not only does searching help to keep the forum free of multiple threads it will also help you to get an answer much quicker.

§10) Do not dig up old threads

Threads older than 4 months should not be dug up unless something significant is being added. If in doubt as to what is "significant", contact a moderator and they will give you their opinion. As always old threads will remain open or be closed at the moderator's discretion. Digging up an old thread simply to ask "any news" is also not acceptable, PM the thread starter or mod leader to ask.

Ragdoll alread has been confirmed so no point at all to revive a old thread.

Ragdolls from explosions are going to be gimmicky. Instead of getting your leg blown off and falling dead you're going to fly through the air.

Yeah, will remember the BF2 times... But better than flying in the air with static animations.

Ragdolls from explosions are going to be gimmicky. Instead of getting your leg blown off and falling dead you're going to fly through the air.

True, but if they simulate the shock wave force good enough, it can turn into a strong bump that pushes the player a couple of meters and does not send him flying.

Well since we talk about leg blowing up, I want goreee :D

Either way in my point of view, every game needs a ragdoll in this gaming era lol, even tho it takes few resources from CPU+GPU it still makes the game more realistic.

Honestly, the explosions side of rag doll that's been demonstrated so far is nothing I'm enthusiastic about. What they've shown is people getting thrown through the air by an exploding hand grenade. Seriously, an M67 grenade contains less that 1/4 kilograms of explosives, and that goes for pretty much all hand grenades. The only thing the explosion does is shatter the metal shell, thus creating lethal shrapnel. The explosion won't move you an inch. Just look at pictures of Japanese soldiers in WW2 who've committed suicide by pressing a live grenade to their body. They lie exactly were they stood or sat when they did it. Not even mortars move you much when they hit close to you.

Honestly, the explosions side of rag doll that's been demonstrated so far is nothing I'm enthusiastic about. What they've shown is people getting thrown through the air by an exploding hand grenade. Seriously, an M67 grenade contains less that 1/4 kilograms of explosives, and that goes for pretty much all hand grenades. The only thing the explosion does is shatter the metal shell, thus creating lethal shrapnel. The explosion won't move you an inch. Just look at pictures of Japanese soldiers in WW2 who've committed suicide by pressing a live grenade to their body. They lie exactly were they stood or sat when they did it. Not even mortars move you much when they hit close to you.

That was an early alpha build, things like that will be worked upon before the game gets released(remember they arent done tveaking the physics, even less when that video was made)

The physics in a game don't necessarily eat huge chunks of performance.

It all depends on how developers decide to add this feature. A good example are older games that were made on Unreal Engine, back in the day physics were something new to gaming industry and so devs decided to boast about them, this led to physics eating performance a lot. Nowadays developers no longer need to show masses amazing physics, as there are other cool things like graphic effects and sound effects. Another good example is MOH2010 which unlike older Unreal Engine games uses physics that are within Low or Very Low physics quality range, yet you won't notice big difference during play but you surely will notice the lower impact on performance with such a setting.

So if BI decides to add lower quality physics you may expect lower impact on performance. ArmA series don't actually need physics much, the occasions where this is necessary is kind of rare (CQB battle where you would expect bodies to fall down, shell hits in groups, vehicle crashes etc) unlike for example BF series where you have trees that are stung by explosions, boxes and debris that runs all over on impact, vehicle parts that shatter when destroyed, etc, all of it looks good when event of happening is close, but ArmA series are focused on large combat simulation and open world gameplay ;)

That was an early alpha build, things like that will be worked upon before the game gets released(remember they arent done tveaking the physics, even less when that video was made)

Well, since they haven't really displayed anything new or said anything about it, let's hope for the best.

I think ragdoll can be a very nice addition if executed with restrain, as we seen in the newer videos of Arma 3 showing ragdoll, the soldiers drop to their knees when hit. More like two sequences of ragdoll effect doesn't seem it will be exaggerated. I think ragdoll within Arma would contribute to the game play, as it produces some what authentic ways of falling, but of course also the lying dead posture would be be authentic, In Arma 2 we are able to identify a dead body from a distance since we are some what familiar with it's lying position/visual signature. I think with ragdoll this would change. As it changes this visual signature, From this approach an out of sync(mp) ragdoll won't harm anything except if you can't stand the 'idea' that nobody sees the ragdoll as you see it.:)

As long as the rag doll effects doesn't cause bodies to move for anything less than GBUs, I'm happy.

I'm going to say only 2 things here:

1. Your poll is poorly created with too many confusing options - maybe you need to plan better before you create one.

2. At least the poll did capture the fact that the vast majority seem to like ragdoll physics.

I'm going to say only 2 things here:

1. Your poll is poorly created with too many confusing options - maybe you need to plan better before you create one.

No, it's just really, really biased against ragdoll physics implementation, although there's two "I am not bothered" options... too bad for 'im that the unqualified "yes I want ragdoll physics in Arma 3" won out anyway. Would have been hilarious to me had the poll itself and not just the thread title said "laaagdoll" only for "yes" to win anyway.

Walker used to be extremly vocal against ragdoll integration in the Real Virtuality... I remember him spending the time to write so many thousands of word big posts whenever the subject was brought up to explain how retarded and ignorant we all were. Joke on him.

The only obvious disavantage of ragdoll over animations is that depending on how it's done you may not have any synchronisation between the clients and the server. In that case no way to take cover behind a dead body.

It really depends on how they do it. Red Orchestra Osfront back in 2006 had already a really good ragdoll integration with dismemberments and bodies that actually seemed to have a weight. I'm realy curious what the community will be able to do with these new tools.

Edited by dunedain

most of this discussion is pointless as You don't know about the advances in the terms of RD nor physics overall ...

so don't worry we trying our best to make it in way you like it (this includes some of the worry points)

most of this discussion is pointless as You don't know about the advances in the terms of RD nor physics overall ...

Some people here might actually know quite a bit about physics and computer science to be completely honest. Your forgetting that you have a game community in which a large population of us are college/university students or graduates.

I'm not saying I know anything about it, I'm just saying that you are probably wrong to assume this.