Sign in to follow this  
krazikilla

ArmA3 Wishlist and Ideas

Wishlist:

0) rewrite the netcode

1) remove the singeplayer campaign completely- Hell no

2) add all the neat realistic features that have been mentioned here

3) concentrate on multiplayer maps and gameplay

IMHO 99% of ARMA players are playing online most of the time. I'm pretty sure you opinion will be drastically off....

5) Sell additional multiplayer content with additional scenarios/small islands.

Go buy battlefield.....

I'm buying it for a quick and easy to play laugh... What you're suggesting is to make ArmA battlefield... So its easier if you just buy battlefield.....

And sorry removing the single player must be the dumbest suggestion I have ever seen on the forums....

Oh yeah and the making maps smaller but make things more realistic......HAAAA

[/Rant]

I was thinking about the o2 editor.... It would be nice if there was a carve option that carved the actual shape that you use as the template as opposed to just cutting where the faces were.... Its can be a bit messy trying to cut a square even into a box as it creates loads of random points and then you have to mess around adding points to put faces where you carved as well....

Edited by wolfbite

I wish I could enter Arma3's home page. A friend has typed a different d.o.b. and somehow I can't enter the in Arma3's home page.

I wish I could enter Arma3's home page. A friend has typed a different d.o.b. and somehow I can't enter the in Arma3's home page.

If all else fails, delete your browser history, including cookies. That should work.

I was thinking about the o2 editor.... It would be nice if there was a carve option that carved the actual shape that you use as the template as opposed to just cutting where the faces were.... Its can be a bit messy trying to cut a square even into a box as it creates loads of random points and then you have to mess around adding points to put faces where you carved as well....

Carve in any cheap 3d editing software is messy. :rolleyes:

If all else fails, delete your browser history, including cookies. That should work.

Cheers mate!

Carve in any cheap 3d editing software is messy. :rolleyes:

Worked perfectly in the old Half Life map editor... So I honestly dont know what to say about others except for o2.. How about things like 3ds max and modol?

in max you can use compound objects/modifiers (probooleans). The result is not really nice for game modelling, and that is why i always prefer to do it manually via available modelling tools (cut/slice etc). Same goes for modo, even maya.

I guess carve is somewhere between cut and boolean in max.

Worked perfectly in the old Half Life map editor... So I honestly dont know what to say about others except for o2.. How about things like 3ds max and modol?

Lol

You really think this? Carving in Hammer is a BIG no no under just about any circumstance. Ask anyone in any of the big source mapping communities about carve, they'll tell you how it makes inefficient brushes and entails more work than just doing it manually. :rolleyes:

This is what carve does... :eek:

Hmmm its been a long time since I used it......First editing programme I ever used..But yah I see what you chaps mean..... Damn Back to the long slog :P

Left handed shooting option. would be the greatest. I really hope they would put it in and have it be an option when choosing your face and all that stuff. Would be nice for lefties like me out there who play arma

Left handed shooting option. would be the greatest. I really hope they would put it in and have it be an option when choosing your face and all that stuff. Would be nice for lefties like me out there who play arma

If SMK Anims been continue developed, lefthanded weapons not needed, but, i thnks its, very useful, aka in Splinter Cell it's actualy!

I started thinking about this wishlist a while ago and decided to start making notes as I played. This is the result. I think most of these suggestions are fairly minor and could probably be achieved without major modifications to the game, but would enhance gameplay quite a bit, well for me at least.

There may well be Items in my list that have already appeared, as I have not read through over 100 pages of ideas here….

AI control/behaviour

1. Variable spacing for formations.

• This should be relatively easy to introduce, just an extra pair of commands in the formations (8) menu.

2. Allow different teams to have different formations

• For instance, I would like to be able to have team blue flank left in echelon left formation, team green to flank right in echelon right formation, and team red to stay back in line formation, with me leading team white forward in wedge formation.

3. Allow flank commands to run from that unit/teams actual location.

• So you could have the two flanking teams move forward from their flanked positions, rather than moving back to the centre on an ‘advance’ command.

4. Allow chainable AI commands, so you could give a sequence of commands, instead of waiting for each command to be completed before issuing the next one.

• Try getting the AI to lay mines quickly in a logical pattern. It would be much quicker and easier to be able to give multiple commands, eg “Two, lay mine there, lay mine there, lay mine there†and have the unit lay all three mines in one go.

• You would need a ‘cancel last command’ action as well, to correct mistakes.

5. Allow the action command wheel to apply to commands issued to AI.

• Currently it’s a hassle using the (4) Board or (6) Action menus. It would be much easier if you could select a unit, and point at an object and have a context sensitive action menu come up in the same way as it does for yourself. So you could point at a vehicle, and select via the mouse wheel ‘get in as… ‘ and select the position, point at the ground and have a unit ‘go there’, lay a mine/satchel, supress that area. Point at a crate and have rearm or gear, point at a body and have ‘rearm/gear/hide body’. This would save a lot of time and frustration. You would still need the (4) and (6) menus when you didn’t have line of sight, but mostly it would be much easier.

6. Have AI proactively make logical suggestions.

• E.g. If a BMP is coming, and there is a rocket launcher lying around an AI unit is aware of, have them suggest using it, to which the group leader could reply with a yes or no via the action menu. Or suggest manning an mg nest. This could help in situations where the AI is out of sight.

7. Allow more control of AI pilots.

• If you are in a chopper, it would help if you could control the pilot with fwd/back/left/right/up/down/halt commands in the same way a tank commander can. Left and right would be turn left/right if hovering, or bank left/right if moving. Up/down would change to higher or lower altitude. You could also land this way without forcing the pilot to get out.

8. Behaviour mode for medics.

• It would be handy to be able to set them in 3 modes

- Combat – Fight and only heal when ordered

- Combat medic – Fight but proactively heal others

- Medic – concentrate on Healing, only fight when there is no wounded.

9. Behaviour mode for AA/AT soldiers.

• Similar to the medics

- Active AA/AT – Attack with AA/AT weapons on sight

- Passive AA/AT – Attack with AA/AT only when ordered directly

10. Be able to setup patrols in game.

• Order a unit or team to patrol between two points on a repeating pattern

11. Improve scan horizon.

• Instead of the constant ‘ballet twirl’ they do now, simply have them move their heads either way, then move a ½ turn to do the reverse direction. This should be automatic anyway.

• In formations, have the units scan their assigned directions. They tend to do this when stopped, but all look forward when moving. It would be better if tail end Charlie was frequently checking behind for threats.

12. Have AI gunners able to select their own target according to the threat level.

• Be useful if you could assign an ‘Engage at will’ mode to a chopper gunner, and have them target shilkas first. Same with Tank gunners.

Interface

13. Allow some items to be optionally removed from appearing in the action menu.

• I have things like ‘get out’ and ‘eject’ mapped to keyboard functions, along with NV goggles, reloading etc. So it would be nice to be able to have these items not appear duplicated in the action menu and keep it uncluttered. Have a function in the keyboard mapping section where you could tick to remove from action menu.

14. Make the Quick command menu optional

• I have never liked this implementation in ARMA2. I much preferred the uncluttered look and functionality of the original OFP. Please allow us to turn it off if we choose.

15. Allow the squad bar icons to auto hide if we choose to.

• Some people really like an uncluttered HUD, so it would be nice to have an option to hide it and have it pop up only when called for (by selecting squad members)

16. Allow us to turn turrets with mapped keys.

• Sometimes it is easier to rotate a turret with keys than trying to drag it round with the mouse, I often run out of desk before a full turn is complete. Or allow mapping to foot pedals if available.

17. Map team colours to keys, eg ability to map Team Red to a key.

• Currently you have to use the Shift F key of a team member to select the team, or the quick menu, or 9-9-x. None is ideal, and it would be much nicer to be able to map an unused keyboard shortcut to this function.

18. Make steering wheels not auto-centre

• Please make driving easier, and make it work with external steering wheels.

19. Allow us to draw lines and freehand on the map

20. Allow things like ipads or 2nd monitors to display the map information.

21. Have a way to record the action and provide a replay in game.

• Could be a significant performance overhead and disk usage, but could be really good in some circumstances.

22. Allow us to browse each squad members kit in the gear screen like we could in OFP

• It would save a lot of time if we could just click left/right arrows, rather than have to open each one individually.

23. Allow us to transfer kit from unit to unit via the gear screen.

• It would be easier to do a drag and drop of ammo or weapons from one to another via this interface than have to get them to drop and item then send another over to pick it up.

• Note, this would only issue the order to transfer gear, not teleport it from one unit to another. The two units would still have to physically meet to do the action.

Gameplay

24. Make guns not force us to constantly move the mouse back across the desk when firing to simulate recoil kickback.

• This is a flawed way of doing it. I understand it’s to try and make it seem like you are compensating for the way a gun recoil might happen, but in reality a trained soldier would simply lean into the gun and allow gravity to do the work. I find it slightly absurd when using a sniper rifle on a bipod and have it creep up with every shot. Its also annoying to have the mouse reach the edge of the desk when firing a long burst from a machine gun. Please note I am all for randomised movement as appropriate, but not this one way gun creep.

25. Tone down the light/dark transitions.

• I feel constantly like the contrast is much too high, if I look ahead the ground goes almost black in a forest, when I look at the ground it suddenly becomes visible. It is utterly unrealistic, and means I have to force the brightness levels up unrealistically in shaded areas, and this is much too bright then out in the open. Real life is not like this even on the brightest days.

26. Discardable tubes for rocket launchers.

• Everyone seems to want this one. As soon as a projectile weapon is fired the default action should be to chuck the tube on the ground and return to the primary weapon.

27. Discardable magazines.

• More for eye candy really, but could be useful for trackers in discerning where troops were when they were firing.

28. Refillable magazines

• A soldier behind the lines might take fewer clips, but more loose ammo to refill those clips from, to save weight. Clip refilling would necessarily be time consuming so best done in a safe place.

29. Weight penalties for stuff carried

• Make it worthwhile to dump stuff when fleeing.

• Have inertia effects from carrying a large load

30. Have mortars aimed by setting angle/elevation

• You shouldn’t be aiming mortars with the mouse key like a direct fire weapon, but by calculating angles from tables, with assistance from spotters.

31. Don’t have odd bits of ground where a crawling soldier automatically stands up without a choice

• I have been shot so many times when this happened. I will choose when to stand up thanks very much! I can’t believe there are many places on the planet where I can’t crawl and can only stand anyway.

Engine

32. Give us a 64bit game, in addition to a 32bit one.

• Allow us to use more than 2GB RAM, which would massively help the performance.

Bug fixes

33. Don’t have troops go for a swim when issued a ‘flank left/right/advance/fall back command

• I know they have the ability to swim, but I don’t want to find my team turn up without weapons because they have decided to go for a dip.

34. Watch direction via the ALT key now only works below the horizon

• Please restore the OFP/ARMA behaviour, where you could point at the sky to get a direction. The ground is so cluttered it can often to lead to stupid commands like “Two, watch that animal!â€

35. When switching from turned in to turned out view, don’t go to 3rd person view

• Happens even when a first person view is available.

• Same with switching from Optics on the Laser Designator.

36. When commanding troops and switching to map view, often the zoom function is broken because the quick command menu is still forced on.

37. I like to map the look around and zoom to the right mouse button. But if you use it in freelook mode to zoom in, this forces your view back to the straight ahead view.

• You have to cancel freelook to zoom in. This did not happen in the original OFP.

38. Targeting via right click for AI is no longer working properly

• In OFP and ARMA you could assign targets via left click, which was a combined target and engage command, or right click, which only meant target that thing, but do not fire/engage unless ordered. Please restore that functionality for right clicking.

To bavvo

-Already an adult and believes in fairy tales. Well, had not forgotten how dreaming! :D

wall of text

I agree with most of the points but some are resolved with the use of mods like ACE2 for example.

16. already possible - change bind keys to your look input.

18. was added later via a patch by request of this very community

23. is it already possible via addons

24. lol what? when OA was released, ppl complained about the lack of of sights miscalibration (things would kick a lot more than now, but the aim will revert to its initial possition after you took the finger off the mouse button). I actually like that i need to readjust after/when firing.

32. while i agree, i really don't think it will happen anytime soon

Good work bavvo:

I agree on most points.

Some are already fixed. (mod fixes like ACE don't count)

I've got a nice simple wish:

Option to dump all inventory in one go.

Its very annoying if you want to add anything to the inventory of a vehicle you must first empty its contents by adding to your inventory a few at a time then moving to drop them and going back until its empty

Edited by EDcase

just what you have said, also add F22A RAPTOR!!!! And 5th generation planes(make new if you want...) also 6th generation planes

I forgot whats its technically called but I much more prefer when the game lets me hold mouse for sights over a key toggle. Makes me feel more connected to the gun as if firing a muscle.

Make it an option at least. :)

Edit: Any mods pulled this off?

Edited by froggyluv

I've got a nice simple wish:

Option to dump all inventory in one go.

Its very annoying if you want to add anything to the inventory of a vehicle you must first empty its contents by adding to your inventory a few at a time then moving to drop them and going back until its empty

You just need to get a bunch of boots together for a working party :D

And then haze them for not doing it fast enough.

1- make interactive cockpit

2- try to make more like a plane/car/tank/BMP/helicopter simulator, like in LOH

3- dont put every interactive cockpit buttom in the command screen, is annoying

4- fix small animations (when you go out the water, get off from the vehicle, get in, etc., you appear like from nowhere and touch the ground, i hate that)

5- agree, make translucid sighs, but JUST when aiming at a long range distance

6- realistic sniper scope, that means, dont just use the sight and see everything from the scope view, that is wrong, the human eye must be 6-9 cm. away from the scope glass when aiming for safety, this changes when talking about another sniper

7- better walk animations, the movement animations are based on long range distance, but they lok pretty bad when we talk about a inside (house, factory, carrier, ship, etc.)

8- CQC/CQB A-I, did you ever saw "SWAT 4"? the AI knows where you clicked and they go exactly where you did, ArmA, from the starts as OFP, it was based on long distance combat, mainly, deserts or plains, if you say someone to go 50 meters from the actual position, in ArmA I or ArmA CWA/OFP CWC, he would stay right there, because for the AI, is the same position, id like to see AI in a close quarters combat and CQB fight (fight inside a building, a house, a street, even they to fight with their hands or knifes, or use a the melee from their weapons

9- "GET COVER, SOLDIER!", that is something i would want to see in ArmA 3, a game where if the AI see, in a close street, an enemy, dont juust prone and shoot, id like to see them trying to get cover first

10- caves...just....caves...underground/underwater holes...just that, for edition

11- radar planes, or planes that can go high, and tell at least, the commmander, where are the enemyes, friendlies, wich way is safe to the soldiers, etc.

12- detailed weapon-damage.....even on ArmA II, if somebody shoot at your weapon, it shoot your arm, i want to see the weapon getting hit by a bullet and get inoperable

13- CQC fight

14- trenchs

15- shovel, in real life, small patrols team are sended to sleep in holes they make with shovels, and use them for the night

16- lights in the weapon or the body

17- FIX THE GODDAMMED LADDER ANIMATION, also, is normal that if you get one of those ladders, and there is nothing in your back, is usually to fall and die

18- realistic vehicle damage....i dont want to see a helicopter exploding just because it falls into water

i think that's all for now.

Ok i would like to see live mission editor.To have the ability to see instant what you put on the map without to have everytime to push the "preview" button and to wait to load just to see if one unit is exactly on the correct place.That's bringing you on your knees.Especially for people who dont have good operational systems.Mine is fine but again that is a problem.

Also i would like to see some better commands inside.A more huge variety of command lists like for example: You have a huge list of waypoints and each one of them can "command" the unit to be able to perform a single task or even multiple tasks without those proffesional scripts and command in the init fields.I believe that this part for people who dont know of HOW to do that but they want to make something of their own,is really hard and keep them away from the game at the end.As for you can always find what you want i think that its not correct because some of us we dont have the nessecery time for that.

Anyway thanx everybody for your time reading this and i hope i wasnt so hard for you.Sorry for my bad english also. Cheers! :)

Ok i would like to see live mission editor

You mean a 3d editor? You may just be in luck.

Ok i would like to see live mission editor.To have the ability to see instant what you put on the map without to have everytime to push the "preview" button and to wait to load just to see if one unit is exactly on the correct place.That's bringing you on your knees.Especially for people who dont have good operational systems.Mine is fine but again that is a problem.

Also i would like to see some better commands inside.A more huge variety of command lists like for example: You have a huge list of waypoints and each one of them can "command" the unit to be able to perform a single task or even multiple tasks without those proffesional scripts and command in the init fields.I believe that this part for people who dont know of HOW to do that but they want to make something of their own,is really hard and keep them away from the game at the end.As for you can always find what you want i think that its not correct because some of us we dont have the nessecery time for that.

Anyway thanx everybody for your time reading this and i hope i wasnt so hard for you.Sorry for my bad english also. Cheers! :)

good idea, however, that means the editor will take a long time to load because of the graphic engine, and if the graphics are to big, use a 3D editor, will force your computer to much, so i think it must be improved on computers that at least, can run the engine at X settings at more than 20 FPS

Dr_Death

Number 12 - When you shoot someones weapon it doesn't hit the arm. It might bounce of the weapon and hit him. I've actually been saved by a rocket launcher on my back because it was being hit, not me.

But yes, I agree with you that it would be nice to break the weapon if it got shot.