Sign in to follow this  
krazikilla

ArmA3 Wishlist and Ideas

Better mission editor where you script writing is minimized and where you can use the GUI to do most of the stuff needed for a decent mission.

Dynamic fires! Shooting at a House with a rocket, it could possibly burn because of all the furniture. The fire could spread out, jump over onto the next building etc. What shouldnt be missing here are also Ambulances and Firetrucks with ladders and hydrants :D

- Dialog changes to be loaded on the fly (rather than reloading the mission)

- Catch dialog errors and display them rather than crashing the game

- Allow us to define playable characters purely via scripts rather than forcing us to place them staticly in the editor

- Interfacing with Databases (SQLite, MySQL)

- setSide (change the side of a unit on the fly)

- setModel (change the model of a unit on the fly, at least for infantry to infantry)

- createClass (allow us to create classnames on the fly)

- Allow disabling of medic/engineer built in heal/repair scripts via simple boolean variable

I've posted some of these before, but people just pass them by with stupid posts like "MAKE THE GAME HAZ NO LAGZ PLOX!!1one".

Ill just say about mapsize:

Just Cause 2

Oh btw.

Im NOT talking about the gameplay or the Character

abillitys..

Im ONLY talking about the map

Edited by Andersson[SWEC]

changing the engine would mean starting everything from scratch, learning the nuances and limits of those engines. A new editor would have to be made (if it could) and entirely new toolkit which would take a long time to set up then make user friendly and document.

Also what the engine can do must be explored, the problem is for all their beauty most engines today just don't do what RV does, take Crysis for example, beautiful engine but when employed AI must be set up with where they can walk, out of bounds areas, where they take cover, what weapon they have can they be in vehicles and all this must be done on a per mission basis.

Then you look at the vehicles, very simple stuff, one button to move at a given speed, no need for secondary crew since the driver controls everything, while the editor is nice and all the area of operation is still far more limited in comparison.

Just about all engines are similar in how they act, driver=gunner, vehicles=1 set speed, at the current battlefield has the most advanced flight physics for mainstream games and from what I've seen on BC that actually dropped since BF2 nose down twisting gravity be damned.

Looking at the RV engine you can- place infantry types on the spot and they will control themselves, vehicles have more depth in that they have different speeds, this may seem trivial but it actually does come in handy, multiple crew making cooperation and teamwork a necessity, a huge map range for operations and so on.

Then you take a look at the community aspect, what can we do there as opposed to what we can do here..well, between diverse community projects it has been proven that Arma can be turned into a full blown simulation in many aspects, tanks with FCR and penetration, infantry with bleeding, white/black outs gas masks stuning weapons and so on.

Ground missiles with tracking systems of long range and precision, air units with diverse weapons loadouts, communications mirroring how it works in reality with distance and obstructions and much much more.

In the end it boils down to cost vs time vs capability, how much will it cost to move, how much time will it take to adapt, what can the engine do as opposed to what we have.

Well, I think I understand your point. But I mainly refer to the base. I think all those things you mention can be established on a new engine base. I'm not talking bout changing everything. I think they can adapt those things to a new base.

What I want bout that new engine base is:

- Optimization. I don't wanna get the snipe out with an ACOG and see how my fps goes down to crap with an i7, 6GB RAM on triple channel and a GTX card.

- Better stability

- Better animations

- Move fluid. I don't wanna take control of a robot. See how BF3 feels on that

These changes are needed to have a real experience on this game.

Everything acomplished is wonderful, that's why I love this game, it's incredible awesome. But I really think too that it needs some changes on the base to feel it even better.

I don't care bout particles and those new physics and swimming and tank crates if I don't have a strong and fluid base to take them into.

So for me, and in my humble opinion, what is needed first are those base changes. Don't patch the actual ArmA 2 to look better. If they do, It will become a game with pretty damn good features but unplayable.

I hope you guys understand me

Cya around

Edited by z0rrer0

Ok well like everybody has said before, BIS is not changing engines.

What the hell does "better estability" even mean btw?

he probably means stability.

Anywhore.. look at this video:

watch it till the end

I would love it if BI would be able to make something (similar) like this for the tanks.

What the hell does "better estability" even mean btw?

My best guess is that he meant to type "stability" but his finger caught the nearby key "e" giving him "estability".

he probably means stability.

Anywhore.. look at this video:

watch it till the end

I would love it if BI would be able to make something (similar) like this for the tanks.

They took HUGE amount of time to make just 2 tanks (IIRC 20 RO1 tanks = 1 RO2 tank, in hours of work), I can´t see something just like that in ARMA anytime soon.

This screen ringed a bell. Is possible to remove this white "fog" or whatever via PP or something? The game just look much better without it.

Look at this screens that used the Auto-Contrast from Photoshop to kind of remove this effect: Utes, Zargabad, Kellu,Mana,Podagorsk and Cherno.

Edited by Smurf

My best guess is that he meant to type "stability" but his finger caught the nearby key "e" giving him "estability".

hehe yeah sorry. I know my english sucks hard.

As it has been already told, I meant "stability"

Excuse me

Regards

They took HUGE amount of time to make just 2 tanks (IIRC 20 RO1 tanks = 1 RO2 tank, in hours of work), I can´t see something just like that in ARMA anytime soon.

This screen ringed a bell. Is possible to remove this white "fog" or whatever via PP or something? The game just look much better without it.

Look at this screens that used the Auto-Contrast from Photoshop to kind of remove this effect: Utes, Zargabad, Kellu,Mana,Podagorsk and Cherno.

well I know they took their time..but look at TOH..

Convo moved to what i assume is a better place.

not quite, what I mean is if you press the button just in the middle of an open field you or on any flat surface you will jump realistic height(distance too if you are running) and if you press the jump button again (mid air) and are next to a ledge wilst in mid air you will grab the ledge that you jump up to (W key would make you climb over the edge of the ledge, A and D are L/R for slow movement along the ledge ofcourse and S would be drop back down, if you hang on too long you will fall from exhaustion) if you press the jump button twice and are away from a ledge then you will just jump normally. Basically: U wont grab if there is nothing to grab onto.

I think the aiming/fatiuge hinderances I suggested in my previous jumping post prevent it from being overly exploited, don't you?

No, you'd need the weight function in ACE to make enforcing effective instead of vanilla, which is far too primitive. Use it too many times and you start to pass out etc.

Also you sure all that would be possible in battle kit?

And Lemnos has tightly spaced houses? Sounds cool.

Convo moved to what i assume is a better place.

No, you'd need the weight function in ACE to make enforcing effective instead of vanilla, which is far too primitive. Use it too many times and you start to pass out etc.

Also you sure all that would be possible in battle kit?

They say on the website that you get encumbered, so I assume that means that means speed reduction/fatiuge depending of wieght of gear(again this is a WISH LIST so its entirely possible that this system won't be available in arma 3, Im just saying that there is no reason it would brake the game in a sense:)

Also yes, again in previous post there are comfirmed stories of soldiers doing this thing (I think you MIGHT find it descrided in "House to House" if you want to find a source other than google)

I already know about it. Heard it before, and insurgents do it as well. It's in 'The Good Soldiers' by David Finkel too. They describe it as 'hollywood' made real.

Just to confirm, this is the hanging over ledge and pulling self up movement we're talking about?

TBH if jump was implemented properly (Affected by gear weight, reduces stamina, Height affected by weight and stamina) It would be really handy for some areas....

You could even go further and have it that if you want to grab onto a ledge you have to lower your weapon first (Wich should be able to do whilst moving) If you're carrying gear thats too heavy you wont be able to hold/pull yourself up...

Could be real cool

Edited by wolfbite

I would love to see some more detail of vehicle interiors and revamped disembarkation/embarkation animations. Rear doors opening on APCs, improved Turn In/Out animations, canopy/hatch animations on all vehicles etc. I really love the level of interior detail already in many vehicles in Arma 2, being able to free-look around the interior of the crew compartment and then right-clicking to look down the scopes/vision slits. It really makes each vehicle feel different, rather than being 'just a transport'. This improved animation could even extend to bailing out of a damaged vehicle, the player rather than just popping out the back, must regain his senses, notices that the crew compartment is on fire/filling with smoke, and must open the rear hatch and even drag unconscious comrades out of their seats.

The only other thing that springs to mind that I would love to see is a very much toned-down UI, including the option to turn off UI or perhaps make it purely contextual. The icons for the support options on the right hand side of the screen in CO were a step in the right direction, far easier on the eye than the traditional large green squad icons/menus/HUD.

Just to confirm, this is the hanging over ledge and pulling self up movement we're talking about?

jumping+ledge hang

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

jumping is useful for jumping from one roof-top to another (seriously) troops did that alot in iraq where the buildings were close together. Also jumping combined with ledge grab could be used to travesre medium-high walls like in smk animations (higher walls with a running start), a buddy-jump system for pretty high walls like MOH would also put an emphasis on teamwork. all this would be tied into a complex fatigue system relating to how much gear the person has and what their individual stamina is (SF should=more stamina b/c they are trained to put mind over matter and push boundaries reg. infantry cant whereas reg infantry should have more stamina than civvies) if the jumping animation is done realisticly it wont look arcady at all, just strange if in a combat situation. when you jump your accuracy would obviously go down the toilot from the instance of preparing to jump through to the end of you landing/recovery (your feet would hardly leave the ground anyway unless an object is available for your character to grab onto and you do so by pressing the jump key agian mid-air). This combined with the fact that you couldn't jump forever do to exhaustion (also slowing down your speed when moving/reloading and your accuracy long after you finish jumping for an extended period of time) I think it's a fine feature.

Edited by BobcatBob
this was my original jumping post from another thread

Wanted to create a Thread, where Devs can read trough for some nice ideas or wishes. So please keep it simple and flameless :D

I try to summarize most of the wishes from this thread in my first post.

Absolutely most important for me:

-Netcode: Please try to create a better Netcode. Games are often so unstable when 30 or more ppl playing, its getting even worse with destroyed buildings etc.

Its actually going so far that mostly you have to wait until the enemy stops somewhere, so you can finally shoot him...

- Destroyable Enviroment:

Would be cool to have accurate destroyable buildings, like in Breach

But also Bombs etc. should create real Craters. So that you can Basicly "bomb" your own trenches in the ground. (I think it was possible in Red Faction and also Soldner Secret wars years ago)

- stay on your SIMLINE

Even if you put in new Animations, Physix and so on. Dont let it get a too fast Arcade Shooter. Please stay on you stratagic and often a bit slower Line, and keep it a "Simulation".

Dont let it get a Battlefield, cod, or Operation Flashpoint 2..

- Animations like the Addon "PVP Animations"

Get us some more animations. also blind shooting behind walls, crouching behind obstacles and just get up high enough that you can fire over it. Not heigher up, like totally stand up for example. Also make Grenade Throwing more accurate and smoother. around 90% of the time, i try to throw a grenade OUTSIDE of building.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=14013&highlight=PVP+ANIMATIONS

A game which made the shooting from behind obstacles just perfect was: VIETCONG. you are hidden behind a stone, you press right mouse button, and get up just heigh enough to shoot over the stone. Also Red Orchestra 2 looks vers promising in this, same as in disemberment.

Weapon Rest Let us Rest weapons like in ACE on walls, sandbags, all kind of obstacles and if prone and the gun got it, on bipods.

Impact and Hit effects When you are in a Tank and get hit by a RPG or Tank Cannon, you should actually feel and see it. (shaking, blur, etc.) not just see it by the "healthbar of your vehicle"

- All the stuff which is possible with PhysiX anyway, like vehiclephysics, ragdoll, etc.

Ragdoll Give the "Dolls" some weight and more realism then in other games, mostly it just looks like "funny dolls", and dont let them always just fall down. Most hits with small arms, dont kill immidiatly, so maybe mix it with "ragdolls with weight AND Animations AND just hit effects".

- Keep Weapons mostly not visible in first person, while you running. Just like it is now Dont make OFP2 or basicly all other gameViews. It just sucks if you see your rifle hanging around like its on your throat. When you run in the field, and you have your rifle low, you look infront, not at your rifle.

NOT LIKE THIS

0:48min -> 1:20min

- Meeleee: Give us a Knife, some Bayonetts and the possiblity to hit someone with a fist or rifle. (dont make it a too useful and common action though, just for real stealth or emergency - We dont want a Call of Duty.)

- Keep your allmighty Editor please :) + Add a nice working Realtime 3D Editor

- Render to Texture: Vehicle inside Screens, rear mirrors, 3D Scopes where you also can see surrounding

- Vehicle Interior (Dont make 20 Tanks for a side, just make 5 but in best quality^^)

- More realistic Medic System and Wounds + Gore + dismemberment

- Flying Physic and Simulation improvements. Maybe use a bit of Take On Helicopters

- Bigger Multiplayer capabilities How about a server with 200 Ppl PvP, and stratagic Warefare + Logistic Problems + Medevac

- Climbing Animations at Ladders Please fix them^^

- Possibility to abort actions like reloading, healing etc. In case you need to take cover while you do it.

- configurable NVGs like in ACE make it more or less sensible

- Custzomazable Gear Dont make 20 versions of a M4A1, make 1 and let the PLayer configure the attachments and camo. Dont make the Classnames for that too complicated too. -> M4A1_sil_Acog_desertcamo_laser (Rifle_Silencer_Scope_camo_laser/flashlight) If you keep it like that, there can still be a simple "addweapon"

- BETTER AntiCheat Its amazing how a lot of servers still get hacked all few hours :(

- Moveable inside Vehicles, Shoot out of them, Shoot out of vehicles, and actually open the door/Ramp to get out. dont just teleport out of vehicles.

- Choose specific get out position from vehicles like in VBS. let us choose the safe side of the car to get out, not that one facing towards the enemy.

- FIRE I would like to have burning buildings. Fire could be ignited by a Bomb blast, RPG, wood houses surrounded by wood should catch fire if trees were burning etc.

Fire should continually damage buildings until fire is extinguished.

Also people escaping of burning vehicles should sometimes burn a bit, let them turn around in the grass or take help from comrades to extingush it, just like in SLX.

- Weapon Jamming Make some random jams of all kind of rifles, excluding the AK47 -74 ^^ based on real jam rates please.

- AI Close Combat and Urban Tactics Please try to implement some urban tactic waypoints and animations for AI. So they can maybe hide behind obstacles, give cover and clear BUILDINGS. just a bit like in this movie for example :) -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXXY-0s-Vqw

- AI Viewblock by Vegetation and Objects Woodland or Bush-Areas are pretty unfair while you play against AI, they often see trough all this vegetation. Please create a poper AI Viewblock.

Dont make all Vehicles explode when hit No need for hollywood like, all goes BOOM effects. If a vehicle is hit, let it explode, depending on fuel, ammo, hitarea. If a chopper crashes when it has nearly no fuel and no ammo on it, dont let it burn. Let the crew survive it maybe depending on the speed of impact.

Fastroping from Choppers Give the ability to make some quick fastrope inserations please. Also Multiplayer-working :)

Wind Please make a physically correct wind component, influencing aircraft, especially choppers, and bullets. Give us the chance to measure the wind and the tools to work against it when you are for example sniping.

improved AI driving Ai Driving already is improved very much, thanks for that. STILL, it needs much more. Please find a way to make AI driving look fluid, fast if needed and less stuttering.

Multi Monitor Compatibility Let us for example have the Map, Rangetable, Radio, on one, the action on the 2nd Screen.

Realistic Sounds depending on enviroment. Guns fired in a forrest sounds diffrent then in a town, sounds diffrent then in a desert.

Weapon Animations, Holster, Lowering Stay with the possibility to be able to lower your gun, when you are not in danger. Also do the same, just upwards with the pistol, also when kneeing. And like in Good Old Operation Flashpoint, let us PLEASE "holster" some Rifles on our back!

Chopper Crash

a few years ago i made a small script, which basicly prevented the chopper from exploding to easy, especially when there is no or nearly no Ammo and Fuel onboard.

If the chopper doesnt crash too hard, the crew also had a good chance to survive, randomly injured some died, but basicly u had a good chance to come out alive.

Would love to see that in ArmA3

sounds good i love your ideas i clicked the spoiler and saw tom1 s post and i think that isent to good becuase 1.to complicated 2.may turn some costumers away but i like youre ideas

Hi, i would like to see:

- More Estimulating Coop Missions.

I would like to see more estimulating coop missions, with worked Intros and Outros and a solid history line that makes you want to wait for other 11 dudes to play it as a team, as three true cooperative/linked fire teams; not necessarily following the game's campaign history line. But that makes you want to play it and pass through it all from the beginning to the end. Let's C ya