Sign in to follow this  
Great George

Can you tell which game is "realistic"?

OK. a difficult question. What does it mean realistic? Stupid question? Perchaps. Like what is love? Or what is the sense of life or How to make a well done steak?

I have a proposal of new definition "A realistic game is such that makes makes you use real life tactics in order to achieve succes"

Which means that it doesn't matter if the game simulatet the guns and ballistic in a perfect way. As long as you don't have to yell at your AI soldier to stand, stop f... hiding behind the wall and move toward the enemy the game is... enrealistic.

What do you think?

Realistic = emulate the reality.

It's not possible to be fully realistic, but one may try to approach it.

well i don't know what you're talking about... I guess if you wanted to go out and die in a war then by all means you don't have to have "fun" on the computer. This is realistic and fun at the same time, while in reality it is real, dangerous, and sometimes fun. If you want to know the real point of a game like this, its to make kids crap in their pants.

Yeah, you'll hear the term "realism" a lot, and everyone has their own interpretation of what it means to them. How seriously realism squads take the game differs from team to team, yet they might all claim to be realistic.

I prefer the term immersive. If something breaks the immersion, like a respawn, then I stop taking it as seriously. And that can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on what sort of game i'm looking for.

There is two ways of realism.

MS Flightsimulator.. making the buttons pressed as "realistic" as possible.

Il2:1946.. only one key to start the engine, making it feel like you really are a pilot that knows your stuff.

So actually, what is realistic is what makes it feel real.. therefor a realistic game could be amnesia, because you really getting scared, it should be real.

While some "realistic" games doesn't feel real at all.

Taken that into account, you could argue that a game in which you fire less accurate then "in real life", is more realistic because it simulates the fear of being killed, which means you stressed. Doing this increase the firefights and stop the "headshots" that rarely take place in real life.

So which is the most realistic game I ever played? Falcon4.. it manage to combine the complexity of making it real life fighterplanes, yet its farily easy to start and fly. What makes it feel real compared to LOMAC is the dynamic campaign.

In first person games I would say ofp, swat and from time to time arma.

Operative;1929658']Realistic = emulate the reality.

It's not possible to be fully realistic' date=' but one may try to approach it.[/quote']

I like this definition; realism as an emulation of reality. It's not necessarily reality, but is believable enough to happen in reality.

Realism should not be confused with authenticity though IMO, since something can be realistic but still be fictional (like alternate reality, or realistic science-fiction).

Plausible, there's another one for you.

Guys guys guys!

Why I was getting at is the issue that the game creators focus a lot on the weapons, ballistic, uniforms etc but they leave competyly not done the part with AI, AI's stress simulation, CQB and so on. Which means that when I play as a team commander I have a really fine M4 -someting in my hand but I don't give my orders to the team and I don't behave like a true commander would. Because game machanics are sorry to say dumb.

Never the less because of a great deal of "authenticy" like someone said the game is consider "realistic" But the problem is that playing it I don't feel realistic at all!

Well then you'll have to join one of said realism units because BIS aren't about to create actual sentient artificial intelligence.

Are you, BIS?

Well then you'll have to join one of said realism units because BIS aren't about to create actual sentient artificial intelligence.

Are you, BIS?

I would be too afraid to play the game if that were the case. Damn sentient machines freak me out.