Ragdolls = In .... Realistic wounds ???

Who here wants accurate depiction of battlefeild violence  

695 members have voted

1. 1. Who here wants accurate depiction of battlefeild violence

• I want to full gore
    • i want to see it toned down a bit , but i want dismemberment
    • i dont want realistic wounds

but the Germans cant have gore in games

Luckily, Austrians can. Germany does not have a problem with people importing violent games from Austria.

... or so I heard :rolleyes:

I'd like a 4th poll option: 'I'd like gore to be a configurable option'... And 5th poll option: 'I don't care..'... I supposed to sell the game in the largest market if any sort of realistic gore is included, it will probably have to be optional...

:confused:

I occasionally play that game when in the mood for a bit of lighthearted fun and can honesty say that it has the best lighting I have seen in any PC game.

Interesting thing to know is that it's made by a really small team here in Croatia. My friend works with them as a level designer. They really went ahead with few new technologies, they didn't improve just lighting, but shaders as well and much more. They always try with each their game to keep up with the latest technologies. Game itself is exactly what you say, fun shooter, but I love the technology beneath more than the game itself.

My friend works with them as a level designer.

That's really cool Minoza, your very fortunate to have such a talented friend.

Back on topic what do you guys think of the bloodspray in this animation, too much blood or just the right amount?

LdoBoJvfLZ8&feature=related

Back on topic what do you guys think of the bloodspray in this animation, too much blood or just the right amount?

LdoBoJvfLZ8&feature=related

The actual hit and blood was good. the mist was bad. it would have been better if they would have left out the pink mist (and woulda been better if it hadn't been the MW2 Ranger model...) But the actual blood squirting looked kinda good to me, although it might not be that realistic. But I'd definitely take that over what is currently in ArmA.

The wound and the spray are both done well but that pink mist should be taken out. Also I noticed a little bit of brains/skull hit the pavement right below the soldiers head that was a nice extra and the only thing missing is a blood pool slowly starting to form after he drops.

Edited by Foxhound
removed quoted video

This video shows an interesting way of handling injury and blood.

Skip to about 35seconds and check out how blood and injury systems affect on charaters. In later videos, the charters when injured actually adjust their stance based on their injury. E.g, injured arms are carried closer to the body and the player is more hunched.

This video shows an interesting way of handling injury and blood.

Skip to about 35seconds and check out how blood and injury systems affect on charaters. In later videos, the charters when injured actually adjust their stance based on their injury. E.g, injured arms are carried closer to the body and the player is more hunched.

Overgrowth has some very cool technology and new ideas and I think when its complete alot of companys will be borrowing ideas from its engine. The blood system in OG is also very advanced, Blood actualy flows directly from the wound and drys over time and as Roy pointed out the injury animations are top notch and still improving.

Yep forget gore - that kind of exact bullet hit paired with ragdoll would be all I'd ever need.

A pool of blood is a cool idea. ACE have blood stained areas when you're injured, which can be used to trail people actually.

Overgrowth has a very good blood system. If we could get something like this in Arma...well Arma 4...maybe.

And please change and make more different blood decal :D!

A pool of blood is a cool idea. ACE have blood stained areas when you're injured, which can be used to trail people actually.

I use COSLX for the same effect and some other nice blood and gore additions for ARMA 2.

---------- Post added at 13:57 ---------- Previous post was at 13:51 ----------

And please change and make more different blood decal :D!

Variety is key to keeping immersion, the human mind is designed to pick out patterns and will notice and be annoyed by repetition. The best games are the ones with many possable outcomes to one situation.

---------- Post added at 14:01 ---------- Previous post was at 13:57 ----------

All the arguments I hear from people who are against gore basically translate to the idea that people who do want gore must surely fap like mad whenever a limb is blown off, or some of you might be afraid that you yourself will be associated with this stereotype.

Others just dont want to watch the gore as it is too realistic. That's fine.

Imho if it gets implemented it should be made an option with a parental lock so everybody can choose for themselves or have their parents decide for them what they get to see while playing, however I want to get something off of my chest first.

Many people don't seem to think that gore adds anything, and I disagree.

It wholely depends on how gore is implemented.

There is the Soldier of Fortune kind of implementation which is greatly exaggerated and unrealistic. Almost every shotgun round to the stomach will lead to entrails hanging out of the stomach etc.

And then there is a proper implementation of gore, and the best example I have ever seen so far is Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad.

The game has it's issues gameplay-wise and doesnt know quite what to be and it tries to find a middleground between realism and a more action-oriented gameplay, but the presentation of the game itself is highly authentic (again, lets just ignore the MP40/II and MKB for a moment) and immersive.

That does not only mean mostly accurate uniforms and weapon functionality, but also includes the sound department (reverbing sound etc), and yes, gore.

Soldiers can lose limbs, their head from explosive rounds (AT rifle, artillery, tank shells, grenades).

When soldiers get shot they lose blood, leave trails, or bleed out on the spot, and leave bullet marks on the body.

Now all of that is coupled with the best death screams and moans I have ever heard. Some of them are so convincing they sent shivers down my spine.

The following result was that when people started playing for the first time, they were overwhelmed.

They were in it for the gameplay and got confronted with something else: the realisation of what they were actually doing. Shooting people.

The good feeling of managing a 'killing spree' was off-set by the moaning and crying of the dying.

A soldier who's leg got torn off by a grenade usually gets grins from most gamers, but in RO2 they cried so hard people just became quiet.

I actually saw ingame once a teammate shooting an enemy soldier through the throat. The man fell down and started gurgling with such sounds that the guy that shot him typed 'sorry for that' in chat.

He came to the conclusion that he was putting a simple human being, not some faceless minion of the evil overlord, through agony. He had wanted to kill him, but not like that.

I felt the same when I once bayonetted several guys in a short period of time. I felt good. Untill my last foe started crying for his mother.

And for a little while, the forum received much comments on how RO2 made them think about the war that is portrayed in the game, and the insane things these soldiers might have gone through.

It made people think and realise that war sucks, and that on each end of the rifle each soldier is the same.

Through the gore and how all these other elements came together RO2 managed to humanise the enemy, and make people think about war and what it actually means.

The game made players feel emotions about their actions.

And that is one hell of an accomplishment.

For an example of some of the death moans, have a look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57mICfWeAVg&list=FLidK8L2e7Lde3JyAoW8NS4A&index=15&feature=plpp_video

The best examples are in my opinion at 0:35 (imagine a soldier that was shot through the throat), 2:03 (imagine a soldier that got a limb torn off), and 3:24 (as his life leaves him).

I realise that not everybody wants to be confronted by reality like that while playing a game.

But think of the good it might do if it confronts other people with this reality, especially kids of younger age who look at CoD and BF and think that these games are realistic (they are there. the fact that BF3's weapons aren't hitscan immediately raises the realism-bar completely for them).

I believe that games could do more to educate people, and can be more than just simple entertainment.

And as long as it is an option that you can turn on and off, you dont HAVE to be confronted with this at all.

But for those who wish it can then experience something more than just a game, and be completely immersed and be made to feel things.

This post was made in 2011 but has A LOT of good points.

The wound and the spray are both done well but that pink mist should be taken out. Also I noticed a little bit of brains/skull hit the pavement right below the soldiers head that was a nice extra and the only thing missing is a blood pool slowly starting to form after he drops.

Why no pink mist? :p

Why no pink mist? :p

Ok a little pink mist :cool: but it cant linger for so long and should be darker.

ragdolls are confirmed , so now when a jdam is dropped on a guy he wont just fall over in a pre scripted animation

so it begs the question.

Who here wants accurate representation of the weapon systems effects on the body. (IE when an arty round hits a group of enemies they either dissapear into a red mist , or they fly into peices.)

Personally if they keep the blood to a minimum (like in red orchestra) i think dismemberment could benifit the franchise.

I agree to the gore. it's not a zombie game or call of duty. Although dismemberment is a very very big must as people can lose apendages even from rifle rounds, much from 12x7 rounds to land mines and ordinance.

---------- Post added at 21:52 ---------- Previous post was at 21:49 ----------

How about a red mist?

pink or red mist should be more in head shots. I 've never seen much for blood splatter in shots to any part of a torso or leg because of the cauterization from the heat of the bullet and how our bodies react to sudden injuries.