guiltyspark

Ragdolls = In .... Realistic wounds ???

Who here wants accurate depiction of battlefeild violence  

695 members have voted

1. 1. Who here wants accurate depiction of battlefeild violence

• I want to full gore
    • i want to see it toned down a bit , but i want dismemberment
    • i dont want realistic wounds

I don't see why we need "full gore" or even dismemberment. I see the point of this game to complete objectives not to watch bodies being ripped apart. I'm sure BIS could find a way to keep soldiers from flying up in air and just keep the same wound textures.

The only thing I would be for is SLX's bleeding, which allows you to follow a blood trail. I think thats as far as they need to go.

I don't see why we need "full gore" or even dismemberment. I see the point of this game to complete objectives not to watch bodies being ripped apart.

is just a way to add more realism on the game. im in favor of but of course they should focus on something else. if they add this stuff well, im ok with that. if not is not a big problem.

The only thing I would be for is SLX's bleeding, which allows you to follow a blood trail. I think thats as far as they need to go.

they should add "full gore" and dismemberment that can be deactivated in options menu.

In my opinion adding more detailed wound and blood textures with a enhanced recognicion system ( shoot at the leg and nothing but the leg will have a wound texture etc) would be totally sufficient. Sure, dismemberment would add its element to the realism, as it is part of real combat but since Ivan pointed out the team is not fan of gore etc i dont see this happening. Making it doable for the community would be the best choice.

this thread has some seriously awesome ideas, hope developers see it...

So, ragdoll officially confirmed. That's good. Now I'd like to see them blood effects and dismemberment. That was one of the biggest immersion breakers in ArmAII (at least at long as you keep out of vehicles), seeing artillery fire leave a lot of intact bodies and very little blood. In AII, where you needed to get evidence from Chedaki, it didn't matter if you flattened them with arty, you could still search the bodies afterwards (and loot them, as everything worked just fine after being hit with an arty shell). Hopefully, in AIII, one would have to be more careful, so you'll actually have a corpse to search.

While I like ArmA for the fact it doesn't glorify war, results of using heavy weapons on soft targets are still too pretty.

On the final note, this could even help performance somewhat. If you've got a very large explosion (like a nuke or large bomb) you could assume that people within certain radius were "vaporized" or blown into little bits (not worth of tracking) and thus don't care about the bodies anymore. Same with everybody buried under (unmovable) rubble (let's face it, the way AII handles such situations is plain silly). With a lot of enterable buildings, this is going to rise in importance. With certain types of missions, this could cut amount of corpses considerably, improving the performance.

Yeah I hope at least blood trails and better blood effects upon hitting someone. Dismemberment would be awesome but it seems pretty clear Its not going to be happening.Just gotta hope that BIS makes it possible to mod in and that someone will release a dismemberment mod.

Getting rid up bodies entirely to represent them being "vapourized" or buried would be good two and I don't see why it wouldn't improve performance.

Dismemberment would be overused and unrealistic if it was in the game, to justify it being there. There isn't a whole lot of situations where this happens. Want dismemberment? Play Fallout3/Fallout New Vegas :D

Dismemberment would be overused and unrealistic if it was in the game, to justify it being there. There isn't a whole lot of situations where this happens.

Single,double,triple and quadruple amputations are on a sharp increase in Afghanistan. Have you seen Michael Yon's latest 'Renegade Platoon hit by IED' video?

The military actually requested BIS to simulate limb dismemberment in VBS2, I think that's sufficient justification that it would only add to realism.

stop comparing VBS with ArmA please...one is aimed for military, the second is a...yes, you know it...GAME

Besides, the last dev statement on the subject was clear: Arma3 will not feature dismemberment. So this debate is purely academical.

Although it was said that it should be easier to implement dismemberment through modding than in Arma2, or something like that. Must find the original quote...

stop comparing VBS with ArmA please...one is aimed for military, the second is a...yes, you know it...GAME

BIS advertise ARMA as a simulation, because it is a simulation.

good GOD....do we really need to go over this every few days?

If BIS would consider ArmA to be a simulation, they wouldn't need VBS2 in the first place.

ArmA is a more realistic game. Just like DCS, FSX and so forth...

ArmA is a more realistic game

BIS have already announced that with ARMA3 they aim to deliver a battle experience as close to real life as possible. Limb dismemberment is real.

so is talking a dump from Time to Time, or having to eat, drink and so on. not even talking about adverse symptoms from heat, dust etc

1-2h marches are also very common, before a 10 min contact

oh, and when your avatar dies, there would be no respawn. you would loose all your progress, or even better the "simulation" should remove itself from your computer

so, before going "oh but we needs this because it is realistic" think about it some more.

I would prefer better wounding system,

models and decals over gibs and ribs flying all over the place

Edited by PuFu

If you take a look at some of the new features and enhancements in VBS2 1.4 you will find that BIS simulate limb dismemberment by using a script that removes select body parts.

adverse symptoms from heat, dust etc

I'd, for one, would like to see that simulated (see my weather and fatigue thread).

1-2h marches are also very common, before a 10 min contact

Which is exactly how it looks like if you don't take a vehicle in some free roaming missions in AII campaign. And even then, you'll be driving around a lot (by yourself, of course, considering how AI drives...).

oh, and when your avatar dies, there would be no respawn. you would loose all your progress

That's exactly how it is on highest difficulty, with only one save game slot (and if you want even more realism, nobody stops you from restarting the whole mission or even the campaign when you die). And the only reason why I'm not using this option is that I have a finicky computer which occasionally overheats and crashes when running big battles in AII on a hot day.

My advice is: before you argue that ArmA isn't a sim, try it on hardest difficulty, in a good SP campaign.

So by that definition a simulation game is a very difficult game?

http://www.addictinggames.com/action-games/theworldshardestgame.jsp

Damn, that makes the above a simulation (of what, I don't know). ;D

I guess you can call Arma a combined arms simulation without going too far, but I still don't get the importance of getting into fights over semantics time and time again?

On topic, I don't give a hoot if people lose limbs and heads and small intestines. End result is we will all go "ooooh" for fifteen minutes and then ignore it forever after. Not worth the effort.

Variety in wounding is a good thing and even extreme wounding only adds to the visceral horror of war if done in moderation.

I still get a kick out of SLX's exploding bodies as they just don't happen that often and still catch me by surprise :)

Agreed. Like Carl Gustav already pointed out Dismemberment is pretty rare in reality and if not implemented properly in game it would actually kill immersion. I would rather have a more complex wounding system and have bullet wounds appear on bodies were they actually got shot. This was even in ghost recon 1.

Single,double,triple and quadruple amputations are on a sharp increase in Afghanistan. Have you seen Michael Yon's latest 'Renegade Platoon hit by IED' video?

This may be true but from what I understand, most “amputations†are not complete on the battlefield. Often the limb is left hanging and cannot be sewn back on or is so mashed that It must be amputated. But this happens after the battle. During battle It is rare to actually severe an entire limb cleanly. And if there is a force large enough to blow off an entire limb Ie. a large ied, it would end up mashing the limb and body up so bad it is unrecognizable.

Basically dismemberment as people visualize it in games, is not realistic. If you want more realism concerning wounds in arma you should be asking for more detailed gore on dead bodies. Ie. If a man is killed by and ied his body is badly mutilated and burned instead of having bullet holes all over him. Realism does not mean a man gets hit by an ied and his limbs go flying all over the place.

Variety in wounding is a good thing and even extreme wounding only adds to the visceral horror of war if done in moderation.

Yes, moderation is key. If evey time you shoot someone their head pops off it will be nothing special. If you shoot someone 100 times and once their head pops off it will be like "holy shit!!!!! I just blew that guys head off".

making excessive gore rare will be better than making it common place.

Edited by -Coulum-