Sign in to follow this  
-BAC-honzikpen

Any planes or jets?

Considering I mentioned rotary wing aircraft many times in my previous posts I would have figured people would grasp the concept. Perhaps I overestimated the average posters ability to retain information.

Your typical helicopter doesn't have radar, and if they do they are nowhere near as complex as something like an Su-30 or F/A-18. The same can be said for weapon systems. The next advantage of helis is the map size. ArmA 2 maps are still very tiny for them, but it is not that bad. Finally, the flight model is in a better state for the helicopters than the flight model of the fixed wing aircraft.

Again, I hope BI doesn't bother improving jets. Just take them out. No need for a CoD: Air Combat in a simulator IMO. :icon_cool:

What if BI weren't to improve them and just leave them in the game? Would you still have a problem with that? I mean, it's not like anyone is forcing you to take to the sky. You can stay on the ground as much as your heart desires.

Edited by DARK-STEALTH

What's all this crap about BIS having such "limited resources" and so on? Their team is pretty huge these days, and they have NATO as a customer for christ sake! I mean seriously! They know what they're doing. They've been giving us the improvements they've added to VBS for years now, and it doesn't look like that'll stop any time soon. They've recently done a pretty drastic improvement to their air simulation such as dynamic view distances and so on and improved the flight model. I know there's only a certain amount they can do for a civilian game, but they're working with and for the most powerful military alliance in human history to simulate these things. Have faith people.

What's all this crap about BIS having such "limited resources" and so on? Their team is pretty huge these days, and they have NATO as a customer for christ sake! I mean seriously! They know what they're doing. They've been giving us the improvements they've added to VBS for years now, and it doesn't look like that'll stop any time soon. They've recently done a pretty drastic improvement to their air simulation such as dynamic view distances and so on and improved the flight model. I know there's only a certain amount they can do for a civilian game, but they're working with and for the most powerful military alliance in human history to simulate these things. Have faith people.

I agree. Some people here believe that in order for BI to improve one thing, something else will have to suffer. I highly doubt that BI would neglect infantry and armor to work on aircraft. I'm sure BI is fully capable of improving all three.

Gnat;1932344']Agree.

Fortunately Lemnos looks like its a 25km x 25km terrain.

Better' date=' but not best.

BTW, VBS2 is going to be able to do 500km x 500km, with 40km VD.

Hopefully ArmA3 and VBS2+ will be based on the same technology so custom terrain could be created larger.

But anyone creating just a 50km terrain is going to need some seriously good "Visitor version 7" auto tools to get that made before the end of this century.[/quote']

thats the smartest thing we heard today

The maps are so tiny for fixed wing aircraft it is a joke. I can fly across the biggest maps in seconds.

Uh... and?

So is flying in a straight line the fun part of using jets or something? Are they useless if they don't spend twenty minutes in transit?

Silly me, I thought the important part of aircraft of a battlefield was when they get to their target and blow shit up.

It's an infantry simulator, so air support should receive all the resources while air-to-air combat remains minimal. But in the meantime, try to make sense.

I bet people have logged hundreds of hours flying the A-10 alone. Hands off my planes.

A-10 C maybe? :D

The A-10 is supposed to be in use for a long time to come; same with the F-35. Hopefully we'll see some more modern eastern aircraft like the PAK-FA OR THE J-20.

We won't. Not enough is known about the PAK-FA, and even less about the J-20 to put it in game.

The maps are so tiny for fixed wing aircraft it is a joke. I can fly across the biggest maps in seconds.

That's why the engagement capabilities are limited to 5-6 km. Agreed, Takistan is small, but you can have a lot of fun in Warfare on Chernarus, provided both teams hide their bases well. ;)

P.S. F-35 pwns j00. :D

We won't. Not enough is known about the PAK-FA, and even less about the J-20 to put it in game.

But enough is known to make that ridiculous "HAMOK" (Mi-28 merged with a Ka-50) or the Comanche which is a canceled project?? People say that having diferent vehicles or weaponry such as the "Hamok" or Comanche are cool since they are diferent but at the same time say that a PAK-FA or J-20 which will most likely see real life military service should not be modeled because there's not "enough" information! And BTW, is there any relevant information about the invented "Hamok" or even about the canceled Comanche?? :rolleyes:

What if BI weren't to improve them and just leave them in the game? Would you still have a problem with that? I mean, it's not like anyone is forcing you to take to the sky. You can stay on the ground as much as your heart desires.

I wouldn't mind that. Just either don't bother making them flyable or just port them over from ArmA 2. Seeing the jets "sag" out of the sky is rather hilarious as it is in ArmA 2. :D If they could improve the AI/flight model for the AI to make the jets look somewhat authentic I would not mind that. As of now they remind me of the BF2 demo I played years ago.

Silly me, I thought the important part of aircraft of a battlefield was when they get to their target and blow shit up.

We might as well map the maps 500x500 meters. Silly me, I thought the important part of infantry of a battle was when they get to their target and blow shit up.

Maybe for your typical CoD game, but for a simulator, no. ;)

A-10s would also make sense as we plan on using them for many more years. We don't have a proper replacement in the works, or at least one publicly announced.

But enough is known to make that ridiculous "HAMOK" (Mi-28 merged with a Ka-50) or the Comanche which is a canceled project?? People say that having diferent vehicles or weaponry such as the "Hamok" or Comanche are cool since they are diferent but at the same time say that a PAK-FA or J-20 which will most likely see real life military service should not be modeled because there's not "enough" information! And BTW, is there any relevant information about the invented "Hamok" or even about the canceled Comanche?? :rolleyes:

Agreed. Regardless, the amount of detail put into the aircraft in ArmA 2 (and probably ArmA 3?) was so little that you can throw in just about any jet you want because the realism was non-existent.

Why there's no people mentioning the importance with Early-warning plane battalion?

Something like a jet war in Middle-East, Israel's E-2C with few F-15 and F-16 can wasted a whole Air Force of Mig-21 and Mig-23, because of the radar and commanding advantage.

Stumbled across this thread tonight and had to laugh at this.

Flogger23m - Read my post next time before replying. I never said removing aircraft...

// then later on the same page....

Flogger23m - Again, I hope BI doesn't bother improving jets. Just take them out. No need for a CoD: Air Combat in a simulator IMO

I think this dude needs to read his own posts before replying lol

There will definitely be jets, the confirmed jets/fixed wing airplanes are:

-F35

-MV-22 Osprey

-BLUFOR UAV

-L-159

Hopefully there will be some more aircraft(an OPFOR plane equal to the F-35 and a cargoplane)

You might argue that maps are too small for dogfighting, this may be true, but fixed wing aircraft are still in heavy use for CAS support, anti armor, providing recon and destroying enemy helicopters/jets. And ArmA is about giving players the freedom to create their own content, if modders create bigger maps for dogfighting, or if they want to create their own aircraft, or if they want jets for story/scenery purposes, they have the ability to do so.

Flogger, I don't see why you keep insisting on removing fixed wing, just because you don't like a particular aspect of the game doesn't mean it should be removed, there are plenty of people who like fixed wing in ArmA and ArmA was always a game about combined arms, it's not an infantry simulator or an infantry+armor simulator, it combines Ground,Armor,Air and Navy.

Flogger I think you need to go and educate yourself a little. The Arma series has always been about combined arms with a focus on infantry. That does not mean solely focused on infantry! In order for infantry to do their job they require air power and not AI controlled air power, they need humans that they can talk to, to request support in dealing with a problem they are not able to overcome themselves. I cant think of one war in the last 50years that has not had considerable air power dominating the battlefield. Most modern armed forces wouldn't even think of putting men on the ground unless they have air superiority. You are obviously out of touch with the methods modern combined armed forces operate & voicing opinions that if BIS followed would truly dampen & spoil the multiplayer arma games I have participated in.

All I can say is thank goodness your on the outside of BIS here on the forums and not in there making decisions.

Well, I kinda like the simplified FM, because I haven't got a joystick :) And complaining about it is really stupid. I think the devs said that military sim doesn't mean aeroplane/helicopter/tank/car sim.

Well, I kinda like the simplified FM, because I haven't got a joystick :) And complaining about it is really stupid. I think the devs said that military sim doesn't mean aeroplane/helicopter/tank/car sim.

well it would be nice if there was the option of flight model difficulty, easy,medium,difficult, realistic...it just adds to the immersion :)

NO. Jets are too unrealistic and will make ARMA into an arcade game! :)

I can't imagine Arma without jets.

"Too small maps for dogfighting" ...... never have I crashed into an invisible wall during a dogfight in any Arma game.

"Not realistic enough ..too arcadey" ... fighter pilots in reality do not think flying is so difficult or complicated.

Arma is about taking roles as differend parts of infantry, support, tank/apc crew, pilots, in combat, not learning how to fly a jet or drive a tank or fire a weapon.

You can learn to be better in your roles in Arma, of course.

I want to see some f16s, and f18s. All variants of them too. Especially in the 2 seat f18 variants. Would be cool to have 2 players in one.

Jets are already part of arma 3 if you launch all in arma, they work fine. I expect to see the A-10, F22 (Mebe some F34), and SU. I Think we might end up seeing a few sixth generation planes along with the 5th and 4.5th gens, since bi seems to be taking a futuristic concept towards their equipment.

I wonder if they are still using the f-35? I hope they will simulate the oxygen system failing periodically killing the pilot too then. I am not trying to make fun of anyone who died, I am just saying that the f-35 program was deemed to big to fail then it failed. The program though gained some valuable knowledge on VTOL aircraft for future aircraft.

---------- Post added at 00:35 ---------- Previous post was at 00:34 ----------

Jets are already part of arma 3 if you launch all in arma, they work fine. I expect to see the A-10, F22 (Mebe some F34), and SU. I Think we might end up seeing a few sixth generation planes along with the 5th and 4.5th gens, since bi seems to be taking a futuristic concept towards their equipment.

I would like to see some high tech spy planes as well.

ProGamer your thinking of America's pride and joy, the F22. That had a nasty habbit of suffocating the poor pilots. The F35 doesnt have that problem, yet. And it hasnt failed either. There are 3 types of F35, only one of which is VTOL.

I Hope to see a Stealth bomber in ArmA 3 that the radar can not pick up and can't be locked on (auto-targeted) too from the ground.

And I really hope for some new bomb/missile types. For one a bomb that explodes above ground into hundreds of little explosions (don't know the official name for that type!).