Sign in to follow this  
vinc3nt

Scopes

When you say tiring do mean it gives or a headache or actually makes you feel drowsy?

I mean that prolonged 3D play makes your eyes fatigued. You're simulating distance with 3D, but you're asking your eyes to constantly focus on the monitor 18 inches in front of you. That induces fatigue, tiredness, headaches, different for different people.

That induces fatigue, tiredness, headaches, different for different people.

Sounds realistic to me. While I served we "played war" several time, and I always ended up extremely beat for activities that lasted much shorter periods that in a typical game. :)

Please DONT ADD A JELLYFISH under water!!!

GOD these pee mechanics are so unrealistic

It is very disorienting to have both eyes open while looking with one eye at 8x magnifiction...to avoid the disorientation you will instinctivly close one eye. A wide angle camere picture can't reproduce that

At first I thought so too.

Though, after a while I got used to shooting with both eyes open. It's very convenient once you get used to it, especially if you learn to shift focus between your eyes.

As my dominant eye is the right one, I scan for targets with my left eye, and look through the scope with my right.

Although I can only spot targets on my left side, without moving my head. But that's no problem, because I just move my head back slightly and scan for targets with my right eye. Then back to the scope.

I do that without even thinking about it.

To conclude, the picture below is in my opinion a good simulation of shooting with scoped weapons.

20110710_04695d8be8b3644c706flE777ezLZaLZ.jpg

Shooting with one eye closed feels tiring and twitchy. I can't even do that anymore. The only time I close one of my eyes is for lining up the iron sights. Then I keep both eyes open, shift focus to the target... BLAM BLAM BLAM! I never miss =)

I agree, Rawr. I went through SOI back in '07, a few years after the Marine Corps had fully adopted the RCO. By that time, both eyes open was the ONLY way to use your RCO. The instructors had some pretty clever methods of stressing the importance of peripheral vision, like smacking you on the left side of the head if they saw your eye closed haha. That said, I know some of our snipers shot with both eyes open, and others closed their non-firing eye with the higher powered optics. They're not a real good example, though, because most of our snipers couldn't hit shit.

Comically and on the otherhand I've had army idiots comebcak from their traiining now convinced that they should be be aiming wioth both eyes open all the time. Even with my shotgun. Doh.

It's quiet difficult to miss a barn door with a shotgun. At least I thought it was.

The problem I have with scoped firing that is rarely reproduced in a video game....

What really slows me down, is the time it takes to find the correct focal length to place my eye at to see through it.

I can't make snap shots in real life like I can in video games. A pity.

Edited by Baff1

@Baff1: Any suggestions on how to rectify that? I fully agree that shooting is too easy. Some of my own:

1) Manual DOF in scopes (unaffected by gfx setting), especially high magnification sniper scopes. Use Shift+PgUp/PgDown to set focus.

2) Increase weapon sway and make breathing have more impact on ability to shoot. Makes encumbrance in Arma3 more important to consider.

3) Weapon resting on objects and deployable bipods. Bipod deployment should be animated but removes most sway.

4) Longer animation time to "get in scope", where time varies with weapon dexterity value. So getting into a scoped MP5 is pretty instant, while an anti material rifle would be very slow.

And most important! I want "classic" sniper scopes as well in Arma3, where you do your distance estimations using the mil dots rather than futuristic laser range finders built into them.

4) Longer animation time to "get in scope", where time varies with weapon dexterity value. So getting into a scoped MP5 is pretty instant, while an anti material rifle would be very slow.

I support that as long as it's implemented correctly. Snap shooting with an RCO is extremely intuitive. I'm sure some people would argue that, but most of them have probably never used one or didn't train with it enough. I only shot the M40 a couple times, but finding the proper eye relief for it wasn't that hard. It wasn't as easy as an RCO, but it didn't take a long time. Handguns would be at a premium with this feature added, thus giving them a niche that I don't believe they have currently.

My only concern is that everyone would argue about whether the speed was correct. Some would say its too fast and therefore unrealistic. Others would say that they can do it faster than the character in the game.

Its all about equipment placement and practice, if you find that your eye relief is wrong all the time, chance are that your sight is mounted at the wrong place, or there is a lots of inconsistency with your grip.

Basic marksmanship 101

A0hLcO9J1hM

That said, equipment problem and inconsistency is not an excuse for a crappy shoot.;)

Edited by 4 IN 1