Sign in to follow this  
skadog

64 bit support?

I would like to know if we are going to be able to take advantage of more than 2047mb of ram this time?

Wasn't in the cards for A1 or A2 but a new engine means new possibilities.

Aint going to happen mate, read the links posted by Sickboy.

Most everyone that games on PC these days uses an x64 OS.Everyone I know does and from most of what you read online,others do to.Its ridiculous to stick with x32.:rolleyes:

Psst....this isn't ArmA 2 anymore :p

I'm hoping that there is 64-bit support along with the actual need for it as well. I could care less if it was in ArmA 2 because, like it's been said, it doesn't need it.

The industry seems to be finally pushing 64-bit and would love to see Arma 3 support this. Have 8GB of ram and Arma 2 can't use it.

More friendly of current hardware, a month before Arma 2 was released I built a new PC with the current specs below and could barely run the game. I understand that Arma isn't like any other game and linear, but it would be great if it would be fairly playable. The only way I could get it to run was with the overclock of the CPU to 3.6ghz. With the 285 video card and now with dual 285 cards it still is bad. The 285 at that time was a very good card and still kinda is.

Better graphics would be great especially if I can turn them on and see them. Currently I have everything to off or low or normal to keep above 30fps.

The lag/latency time when playing online coop needs fixed....I'm so tired of shooting at the AI and the guy skips forward and I miss the shot. Arma 2 isn't too bad, but Operation Arrowhead is very bad. I have Verizon FIOS at 15/5 and my PC so it shouldn't be the bottle neck. The game needs better optimization.

Been reading about PR:Arma and it sounds like they are doing some type of optimizations to help this to my understandings but not sure. That looks pretty exciting too.

I'm excited, been playing since OFP and been a fan ever since. Can't wait for Arma 3! No other game comes close to the feel and game play!

@dale0404: Well, he didn't say "not going to happen" (well, maybe for Arma1 in 2005) but that it is considered, but the reworking would have to yield substantial benefits. Maybe there are some with Arma3.

On the other hand, unfortunately a lot of Vista and even Win7 installments are still in 32bit, so in order not to loose these people as customers, game developers are afraid to go for a pure 64bit game. So at best we can expect two executables, one for 32bit and one for 64bit - but that would mean increased maintenance for the developers, also an important factor in the decision.

But since the Arma engine is not anymore used only for just one game but several (Take On Helicopters, Iron Front Invasion 1944, Carrier Command), they are probably putting more and more weight into engine development and tuning.

I'm quite sure BIS hasn't decided this yet. If they come to the conclusion that it makes sense, i.e. the advantages outweight the disadvantages, they still can tweak the engine next year.

With a target date of Summer 2012, I'm guessing no for the game/client. But I'm still hopeful for the server.