Sign in to follow this  
flashbang151

No DX11?

OpenGL is out of question even with consideration of its qualities.

It's huge amount of work/fixes/tweaks/optimization to rework engine from DX9 to DX11.

I can't imagine we'd make OpenGL in a real scope. ;)

And yes, we are targeting DX11, hovewer DX10 should be supported.

Although... We are not in the end, things/ideas can be changed.

What also should be mentioned... OpenGL is not comparable to DirectX. OpenGL is a graphics API (like Direct3D), DirectX is more than that.

What also should be mentioned... OpenGL is not comparable to DirectX. OpenGL is a graphics API (like Direct3D), DirectX is more than that.

Very true, DX is yet another proprietary API, limiting the developer capability.

There is more to OpenGL than MS would admit. Games can be played on Linux and OSX, as long as those are not on DX.

Edited by PuFu

Very true, DX is yet another proprietary API, limiting the developer capability.

There is more to OpenGL than MS would admit. Games can be played on Linux and OSX, as long as those are not on DX.

"Games can be played on Linux etc." :D As a Linux user I see many OpenGL games which can not be played on Linux, multi platform compatibility is not really an argument for OpenGL.

As I said, OpenGL is not comparable to DirecX, in DirectX are many API's like DiectSound, DirectMusic, DirecInput, DirectPlay etc. Can OpenGL offer something for input, sounds, network play...? Ok, you can take OpenAL or SDL for sounds or input but they are still no real alternatives...

Edited by birtuma

In DirectX nearly everything is deprecated other else than Direct3d and DirectInput.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee416796(VS.85).aspx

Therefore it's matched between Direct3D(video), DirectInput(input), vs OpenGL(video), OpenAL(audio), and SDL(Input).

Also by supporting OpenGL you reach a much larger desktop gaming audience, avoid getting locked into proprietary, closed standards, and promote healthy API competition.

Edited by Cookieeater

OpenGL, those guys arent complaining

field

P.S.: Last time I have checked, they were running this on a 9600GT, can Dx top that?

DX 10 confirmed and DX11 will likely be in? Sounds good to me. Hopefully this means performance will be increased?

DX11 has been confirmed as well. You just to read the thread... ;)

DX11 has been confirmed as well. You just to read the thread... ;)

Not it hasn't. Unless a Dev said something this morning I haven't seen yet.

EDIT: N/m, I see a page back now. Should be interesting then.

Edited by Steakslim

Awesome news BIS, its amazing how much work you guys are getting done with Arma 3!

DX10, DX11, physics and animations and all the content we can expect from a BIS game.

Cannot wait for some E3 gameplay and new information :cheers:

Not into the whole OpenGL vs DirectX / Direct3D discussion but it looks like the Outerra engine was made with ArmA in mind :P Looks stunning, smooth and extremely versatile.

OpenGL is out of question even with consideration of its qualities.

It's huge amount of work/fixes/tweaks/optimization to rework engine from DX9 to DX11.

I can't imagine we'd make OpenGL in a real scope. ;)

Although... We are not in the end, things/ideas can be changed.

HE's saying they could still rewrite it in OpenGL!!! :D

Maybe arma 5...

If they rewrite it in OpenGL, please add in Linux support! ArmA II already runs on Linux as a server, it'll probably be easier to port therefore if OpenGL is added in.

Also Outerra - Himalayas trip in OpenGL 3.3, imagine what the engine could do with tessellation on the terrain:

gf8YQ9WSdiw

Edited by Cookieeater

I always loved OpenGL. The question here is: can you provide the SDKs to work with? Microsoft does have a monopoly on API, even more so after the introduction of their xBox and the demise of innovation, that had followed it.

The day that Arma has terrain meshes like in those Outtera videos....

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I will probably be dead of a heart attack.

Weirdly when I have dreams of OA the terrain looks like that, flying over those mountain ranges and fastroping into a hot zone is too entertaining. :D

"OpenGL is out of question even with consideration of its qualities.

I can't imagine we'd make OpenGL in a real scope.

Although... We are not in the end, things/ideas can be changed."

I'm somewhat confused by his phrasing here. Especially considering that dx10 appears as a 'requirement'. Is Damu saying that the engine is being designed around dx11, with support for dx10? Or that it has been designed for dx10, and that they are currently working on a dx11 version? I couldn't care less about opengl, but dx11 is certainly a better choice than dx10 in the way it distributes data across the hardware.

If they rewrite it in OpenGL, please add in Linux support! ArmA II already runs on Linux as a server, it'll probably be easier to port therefore if OpenGL is added in.

Also Outerra - Himalayas trip in OpenGL 3.3, imagine what the engine could do with tessellation on the terrain:

gf8YQ9WSdiw

Huh, I thought the terrain was a mix of close tesselation and distant normal maps..

have you seen this one :P

TN7XgLDCnpE

Hey wait Lemnos, isn't that the name of Arma3's island? Ugh, apache video..cockpit..must..damnit.

EDIT: Ah so Lemnos is the ACTUAL place, got it.

Edited by NodUnit

Hey wait Lemnos, isn't that the name of Arma3's island?

No . The Arma 3 island is based on Lemnos .

Edited by Maio

OpenGL, those guys arent complaining

field

P.S.: Last time I have checked, they were running this on a 9600GT, can Dx top that?

As far as i'm aware, that grass is actually a 2D image laid across the landscape, and thus the grass is not actually there, just the lighting makes it appear to...ok i'm not explaining this well.

Basically, its not as good as the screenshots put it. I do personally love Outerra and the possibilities, however its not THAT good.....yet.