Sign in to follow this  
sagitarius_2k

Customizable Soldier Load ( seriously?? )

AI does react on the players loadout in Arma 2. You are more likely to get shoot if you have a SMAW on your back.

Don't know if this has been brought up yet, but hopefully this will make modding and downloading appearance mods easier. In other words - modders don't have to make a new unit pack with a whole bunch of new units and class types/uniforms - they would just have to mod the different uniform items and the player could download and customize his appearance at will.

Then again, that would only apply to the player's character - there will probably be tons of new faction and units mods available once the modding community gets the ball rolling.

Official mp mission start was set to 20:00 - after 2-3 hours beauty and hair styling 70% were ready to go. The rest was perm banned from server... */

Hopefully customizing appearance is something you do from the main menu, not from the multiplayer lobby. I also hope that once the custom missions (back in the good old real-life modern day time period) start coming out, soldier appearance is forced upon players. Don't want any futuristic looking soldiers running around when you're supposed to be playing as Modern US Army...

Edited by Armoredfury193

Guess BIS will also add a option to use only predefined gear + wear. ;)

/* Imagine the time needed to get people to start a mission:

Player 1: "Do you think that color suits my camo face?"

Player 2: "I think you need some more tan and glitter..."

Player 3: "Oh my god, Oh my god - look at my supaweaponz with all kind of coolbro attachments!!"

Player 4: "WTF...OMG...Me want to be a l33t W1rri0rZ too!!!"

Official mp mission start was set to 20:00 - after 2-3 hours beauty and hair styling 70% were ready to go. The rest was perm banned from server... :D */

Btw would be great if the AI could react on geardos...

Wow, so customization of any kind means arcade Black Ops shooter? Customization will probably happen via the profile, kinda like how players currently choose their name, face, glasses, and voice.

Customization will probably happen via the profile, kinda like how players currently choose their name, face, glasses, and voice.

Doubtfully

Doubtfully

Indeed, it at least has to be on a per-mission basis; you can't always be wearing the same thing in every mission since you might be playing on different sides or as a different type of unit.

It kills realism a bit when you have some person running around with camo that no country uses or every one running around with a scope and a silencer attached to their weapon and i know you can do that in ArmA 2 besides the camo part but atleast you can limit it i hope theres a command in the ammo boxes so you can get rid of certain stuff like in Arma 2

It's still better than the M107/Javelin that's so popular on crappy co-op missions nowadays. And the introduction of encumbrance should fix that.

This seems so much like the usual complain on ACE weapon boxes, people complaining about 50 types of m4, when a custom ammo box placed in the mission could avoid all the fuss. It will be limited by mission design, people will not be able to change gear if that gear will not be available and if it is, and it bothers you, blame the mission maker not BI.

I'm all for weapon & player customisation. Not so much in SP, but MP it will be good, you'll be able to determine who's who etc. Obviously not completely different camo, but different chest rigs, helmet patterns, infra-red patches, goggles etc.

With weapon customisation and the 'on-the-fly' stuff, I hope to dear god it's not what was shown in E3, that looks like something a mod team put together in 2 mins. I hope it's similar to Crysis, you press a button and a menu pops up, and you can actually see yourself change the scope, or silencer etc. I know that's difficult to do, but It'd just make it so much nicer rather than choosing an action, the weapon disappears, reappears with the change...

But looking forward to this, I hate going ingame and going through crates for a million hours to find the right weapon. Just select 'M4', and mod it to how you want it. Awesome :)

With weapon customisation and the 'on-the-fly' stuff, I hope to dear god it's not what was shown in E3, that looks like something a mod team put together in 2 mins. I hope it's similar to Crysis, you press a button and a menu pops up, and you can actually see yourself change the scope, or silencer etc. I know that's difficult to do, but It'd just make it so much nicer rather than choosing an action, the weapon disappears, reappears with the change...

But looking forward to this, I hate going ingame and going through crates for a million hours to find the right weapon. Just select 'M4', and mod it to how you want it. Awesome :)

The action menu in the demo was made for the demo.

The action menu in the demo was made for the demo.

Yeah I know, I just hope it's nothing like that in the final game. Something similar to Crysis would be ideal. Press like C and either the weapon pops up, similar to Crysis, you choose your weapon customisation, or a screen with the weapon and you choose your mods, then you see yourself put them on the weapon in front of you. :)

yeah true, otherwise the main action menu would get cluttered something fierce. Someone mentioned a system like what ACE has is a good idea, and it is.

Indeed, it at least has to be on a per-mission basis; you can't always be wearing the same thing in every mission since you might be playing on different sides or as a different type of unit.

Indeed. In a reasonably free game, I'd like to offer a certain amount of equipment and let the players fight over it. No, it's not to be mean, but having 30 wannabe snipers running around can kill missions that wasn't designed for it. However, maybe there could be a vest (/kit) called "by user preference", which allows profile setup to come through? Maybe some death match game could use it? I've actually never played death match in any BIS games :D

the system in Crysis was extremely unrealistic, not only that many parts required special tools/mount/rail to attach to the weapon. (which means you can't do it in the field without a gun smith/armorer. )

But also the sight/scopes have to be re-zero before they could properly hit anything.

Well, Crysis Had the Potential (Flashback to Vid's I've Seen of Mods where he Actually attaches the Stuff)

And If you Incorporate Animations then It could be Quite nice, and With Scopes, Detaching a Scope Is Not a bad thing, Neither is Being able to Put it back on (So It Should be zero'ed, if its the same)

As it looks, Their Trying to make the game a bit More Mainstream, While still keeping to the ArmAverse, Hoping it pays Off!

And If you Incorporate Animations then It could be Quite nice, and With Scopes, Detaching a Scope Is Not a bad thing, Neither is Being able to Put it back on (So It Should be zero'ed, if its the same)

It's a little bit more complicated than that. :)

Yeah I know, I just hope it's nothing like that in the final game. Something similar to Crysis would be ideal. Press like C and either the weapon pops up, similar to Crysis, you choose your weapon customisation, or a screen with the weapon and you choose your mods, then you see yourself put them on the weapon in front of you. :)

I still think radial menus would be good. Some people say it's too much like OFP-DR and that because OFP-DR had a terrible menu, then all radial menus are now bad. You could do a radial menu the same as with the standard menus, bunch of options, one button for "more" if all available actions don't fit on the particular menu. It could work. But, oh well. I do think a radial menu would be good at least for attachments and weapon selection, like these radial menus from AA3 (America's Army 3; Armed Assault 3 is ArmA 3...):

http://manual.americasarmy.com/images/7/77/4blademenu.jpg

http://manual.americasarmy.com/images/2/2e/8blade.jpg

http://manual.americasarmy.com/images/5/57/Commoradial.jpg

http://manual.americasarmy.com/images/4/4b/Weaponradial.jpg

http://manual.americasarmy.com/images/0/06/Grenradial.jpg

EDIT: And yes, will post in ArmA 3 suggestions/wishlist thread... just making a point here...

Edited by antoineflemming

Hi, about the mixed camo BDUs... AFAIK is not allowed for the standard infantry, if you don't wear the standard combat equipment (BDU, helmet, vest, weapons) you can be taken as OPFOR in the distance or in quick CQB situations; the mix of camo is only allowed for SF units or standard units with the given task of act as OPFOR or assigned to an SF platoon. So i think that change the BDU colours should be only available to the SF like units, and allow the standard INF units to choose between older and current/modern equipment, weapons included; for choose 'em depending on your possition. The grenadier could choose between older and modern weapons with a GL.. etc. Again, AFAIK that's how it works IRL. Let's C ya

I still think radial menus would be good. Some people say it's too much like OFP:DR and that because OFP:DR had a terrible menu, then all radial menus are now bad. You could do a radial menu the same as with the standard menus, bunch of options, one button for "more" if all available actions don't fit on the particular menu. It could work. But, oh well. I do think a radial menu would be good at least for attachments and weapon selection, like these radial menus from AA3 (America's Army 3; Armed Assault 3 is ArmA 3...):

http://manual.americasarmy.com/images/7/77/4blademenu.jpg

http://manual.americasarmy.com/images/2/2e/8blade.jpg

http://manual.americasarmy.com/images/5/57/Commoradial.jpg

http://manual.americasarmy.com/images/4/4b/Weaponradial.jpg

http://manual.americasarmy.com/images/0/06/Grenradial.jpg

EDIT: And yes, will post in ArmA 3 suggestions/wishlist thread... just making a point here...

Radial menus would indeed be a huge leap forward in intuitiveness, shame people like to just yell about how it is somehow "consolising" the game with nothing to back them up.

Radial menus are amazing.

1: It splits information up. Ordering AI is a painful task at times, especially in the beginning. By splitting information up you can also give more utility commands.

2: Harder to misclick. The current list of information is easy to have mistakes with. I'm always afraid of interacting with teammates, else I may shoot them instead of healing them. Also, radial menus are open to muscle memory.

3: Open to expansion. Adding new options (sub options and so fourth) would take little extra work.

Is there a single thing that the standard arma list model does better than a radial menu?

1: It splits information up. Ordering AI is a painful task at times, especially in the beginning. By splitting information up you can also give more utility commands.

2: Harder to misclick. The current list of information is easy to have mistakes with. I'm always afraid of interacting with teammates, else I may shoot them instead of healing them. Also, radial menus are open to muscle memory.

3: Open to expansion. Adding new options (sub options and so fourth) would take little extra work.

Is there a single thing that the standard arma list model does better than a radial menu?

I dont play many games, can you move around when using a radial menu like you can with the system we have now?

I just want to play naked.

I don't Think I will ever approve myself shooting naked people on the battlefield. :rolleyes:

P.S : How did this thread get onto radial menus? Is that part of the soldier customization?

Edited by Haystack15

THIS. Sometimes when I need to heal someone, I get massive irony.