Sign in to follow this  
Richey79

PhysX

Do some research, then come back and flap your gums on the forums ;)

Bla bla bla do some research yourself.

Also, 7k posts and your way of posting is like that? I wonder how you are not banned.

Also; educate me if you know better, is that not the point of this thread?

Edited by Primarch

This is the internet, no research required, just spam the first thing that comes to mind.

I'm pretty sure BIS knows they shouldn't overdo the physX thing. Then again that's just what most people assume, maybe EvIL Nvidia paid a lot of monehz to make it run shitty on a non nvidia gpu machine. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

But the PhysX has its code gimped by Nvidia if it is run on CPU so it is not really good if you aren't running it on a GPU. Especially if ArmA 3 makes use of Apex. The problem here is, PhysX is mostly calculated on CUDA cores, if you run it on a CPU, it will not run as good. So, people with Nvidia cards have a large advantage in FPS if BIS will support GPU calculated PhysX.

This is what I mean. Despite even the BIS developers correcting misinformation, it persists as anxiety.

DMarkwick, I know I won't need an NVIDIA card, but if I don't my game will probably be lagged out by attempting to calculate physics on my CPU. And ArmA is already a CPU-intensive game.

Edited by Nicholas

This is what I mean. Despite even the BIS developers correcting misinformation, it persists as anxiety.

Your are doing it wrong , *ahem* :

BIS SAID THAT THE GAME WILL RUN FINE FOR BOTH ATI AND NVIDIA USERS .

Pettka got 50 FPS with a mid range PC with an ATI 5770 with most setting on high and a 2.5 view distance

I am an ATI user , you don't see me complaining .

DM, I know I won't need an NVIDIA card, but if I don't my game will probably be lagged out by attempting to calculate physics on my CPU. And ArmA is already a CPU-intensive game.

You can run PhysX on software too... It is just that how the developers wish to implement it.

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

Your are doing it wrong , *ahem* :

BIS SAID THAT THE GAME WILL RUN FINE FOR BOTH ATI AND NVIDIA USERS .

Pettka got 50 FPS with a mid range PC with an ATI 5770 with most setting on high and a 2.5 view distance

I am an ATI user , you don't see me complaining .

And what was the CPU???

DM, I know I won't need an NVIDIA card, but if I don't my game will probably be lagged out by attempting to calculate physics on my CPU. And ArmA is already a CPU-intensive game.

Improved physics is one of the most asked about issues, so improved physics is something that, one way or another, will happen. If half the players can take advantage of possible hardware enhancements, that sounds like a win to me. However, it seems that the other half sometimes actively disaprove of that, saying they are disadvantaged.

I was just making a general point of percieved disadvantages vs ignored disadvantages, in my own esoteric way :)

And what was the CPU???

An I5 , I can't remember which , but it was an older version .

Yes it uses PhysX for something like ropes, but not for simulating overall physics.

It is a bit different.

You sound like you have not seen any of the physics interactions in VBS2. Vehicles have properly simulated physics, vehicles can also be transported by other vehicles, there is also the ability to attach a trailer to a tractor and said trailer behaves realistically. That's just a few examples to show it is by no means just for "ropes".

YifGESd0o0A

Edited by Zipper5

You sound like you have not seen any of the physics interactions in VBS2. Vehicles have properly simulated physics, vehicles can also be transported by other vehicles, there is also the ability to attach a trailer to a tractor and said trailer behaves realistically. That's just a few examples to show it is by no means just for "ropes".

Yes sir, it is used for features like that. But in ArmA 3 I see no mention of Havok or such being used for things like gravity so PhysX will probably used for collision detection and everything else, which increases the workload a lot. Or the physics will be weird as some things will act differently than others because the other things use PhysX and the other things use ArmA 2/3 physics "engine".

Edited by Primarch
removed link

How is it much different from me with my phenom 9750(max stable 2.73Ghz) vs someone with a i7 @4Ghz? I see a huge disadvantage to me here, so if i can off load some of the work onto my card cool. And how would any other physics solution be any better? They are software so the cpu would be handling them anyway! so we ALL have to suffer a bit more to be fair to everyone? Wait i Know BIS should make it so everyone's CPU speed and Gfx settings drops to the lowest one found on the sever, that would make shit more fair no?

Yes sir, it is used for features like that. But in ArmA 3 I see no mention of Havok or such being used for things like gravity so PhysX will probably used for collision detection and everything else, which increases the workload a lot. Or the physics will be weird as some things will act differently than others because the other things use PhysX and the other things use ArmA 2/3 physics "engine".

There seems to be a lot of baseless made-up anxiety there bud :)

There seems to be a lot of baseless made-up anxiety there bud :)

If it is baseless, why don't you correct me?

If it is baseless, why don't you correct me?

No need, already done it, didn't take :)

How is it much different from me with my phenom 9750(max stable 2.73Ghz) vs someone with a i7 @4Ghz? I see a huge disadvantage to me here, so if i can off load some of the work onto my card cool. And how would any other physics solution be any better? They are software so the cpu would be handling them anyway! so we ALL have to suffer a bit more to be fair to everyone? Wait i Know BIS should make it so everyone's CPU speed and Gfx settings drops to the lowest one found on the sever, that would make shit more fair no?

Havok is "open" engine by intel, and is optimized to work on CPU. That is why it would be better in my opinion.

Havok is "open" engine by intel, and is optimized to work on CPU. That is why it would be better in my opinion.

But why add more work to the cpu if some can be off loaded in some manner? The world is never fair! Why fuck everyone just that little more when the option the throw some a life line exist? IF it turns out that the physx is much better off with H/W support all that means is part of your next upgrade is a new gfx card aswell.

But why add more work to the cpu if some can be off loaded in some manner? The world is never fair! Why fuck everyone just that little more when the option the throw some a life line exist? IF it turns out that the physx is much better off with H/W support all that means is part of your next upgrade is a new gfx card aswell.

Yes sir, but Nvidia just happens to be sometimes much more expensive than AMD

Like 100€ more for the same framerates, and so I can play some 2 or 3 games more with playable framerates. Everyone likes to have a choice, but limiting ArmA 3 to run with H/W based physics engine limits a lot my choices for the next PC. I would like to have a game that runs on everything, not just on one graphics card manufactor.

Yes sir, but Nvidia just happens to be sometimes much more expensive than AMD

Like 100€ more for the same framerates, and so I can play some 2 or 3 games more with playable framerates. Everyone likes to have a choice, but limiting ArmA 3 to run with H/W based physics engine limits a lot my choices for the next PC. I would like to have a game that runs on everything, not just on one graphics card manufactor.

If I might interject: if you're willing to make such a purchase, you might consider a cheaper nVidia card as a purely Cuda device. That's what I intend doing if necessary, augment my current card with a cheaper card.

If I might interject: if you're willing to make such a purchase, you might consider a cheaper nVidia card as a purely Cuda device. That's what I intend doing if necessary, augment my current card with a cheaper card.

Yes but if I had an AMD card and I bought an Nvidia card for PhysX it would require hacking drivers. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1456964

Do you have an AMD card?

On this computer I do, on my another I have an nvidia.

Use the open source Bullet physics engine. That way *ALL* BIS ArmA 3 customers will benefit from GPU accelerated physics processing - not just NVidia owners.

Why cripple and punish half of your loyal customers for not purchasing NVidia products? I don't understand how a company who is proud of its "independence" would even consider using PhysX. At the end of the day, the only people who benefit from that decision is NVidia, because half of BIS customers will be persuaded to ditch AMD and buy NVidia.

Disregarding half of your user-base in this way will have subtle knock-on effects. Those of us who know that BIS could have saved us from having to buy NVidia will be less inclined to promote the game and praise it on game forums. I'm not happy to support a game that FORCES me to buy a £200 h/w product unnesasarily.

Edited by ghost101

That way *ALL* BIS ArmA 3 customers will benefit from GPU accelerated physics processing - not just NVidia owners.

BI still has NOT confirmed that A3 will even use GPU acceleration for its physX implementation.

FPDR

FPDR

can never have enough of these in this sort of threads. you can quote them in desired situations...

I excuse me, but i cant change the fact that my brain just gets in a huge conflict once i read those posts....

i cant help it