Sign in to follow this  
Richey79

PhysX

i'd be happy if BIS removes the blob puff coming out of a barrel on shot for starters.

neokika big thanks for posting the VBS2 videos, I found them very interesting.

The walls destruction video was cool too.

Does anyone here own a copy of VBS2? I'd dearly like to see more VBS2 physics demos.

Here goes some PhysX demos...

Awesome videos

_neo_

These are great, I don't know much about PhysX but would all these things technically be possible in ArmA III with the addition of PhysX? Or would they require fundamental changes to the coding of the game?

These are great, I don't know much about PhysX but would all these things technically be possible in ArmA III with the addition of PhysX? Or would they require fundamental changes to the coding of the game?

Yes they would require huge fundamental changes to the coding. Don't expect an actual game to have the same quality of physics as a tech demo. You don't just drop PhysX in your engine and magically get all of those breathe taking effects.

Still I wouldn't be surprised if BI adds that runway scene for the soldiers givien their affinity for erhm, *coughs* flamboyant dancing animations.

So for as far as Physics go, we have the basics now, but what about more complex things, like Traction? or Friction? or even Suspension

I saw the cars in VBS2, honestly, it's a step forwards, but it still looks clunky, we need cars getting stuck in mud, actual weight that doesn't look so much like feathers being thrown into each other...

is all that possible? or am I just blowing smoke? :o

Unless they make rain effect parts of the land tht cause the vehicle to 'sink' into the ground then that may not be possible without pushing the land down and inserting a 'mud pit'. Still it would be a great addition, heck anything that adds more challenge and diversity to the landscape is a great thing not to mention it would be a first for this type of game.

Now that'd be interesting to come back to your vehicle to find the wheels half sunk into the terrain lol.

I would like to see things like momentum and blending PhysX's ragdoll with various animations and connected behavior

this would allow a much more realistic demonstration of non-lethal hits and take things like reflexes in count.

a popular example for this would be

but sadly i really dont know if this is possible with PhysX's ragdoll system...

I like the idea of Euphoria, but I fear it's not an option for the next ArmA release. We would surely know about it by now if it were :)

Euphoria seems to be a SP enhancing addon mainly, and for scenarios that do not have many AI. For a game like ArmA it would need to be severely limited, say around the player only and maybe even only in a player's view. That would be OK though, no need to apply Euphoria where it's not going to be seen.

However, it's academic.

yes many FPS techniques simply dont meet the complexity of an ARMA (III)

but in case of euphoria, GTA proved that many AI's are not the problem.

But this is a very complex thing regarding coding and many other aspects.

so lets just see what BIS will be able to achieve with PhysX and look forward to it! ;)

Hey,

PhysX character interactions

_yGJPoTnK6c

_neo_

Very interesting video neokika. Perhaps the 'Weak Bone Springs' example could somehow be implemented to simulate wounded or heavily concussed infantry.

Very interesting video neokika. Perhaps the 'Weak Bone Springs' example could somehow be implemented to simulate wounded or heavily concussed infantry.

Hey, yes, I am really hoping for it. :D

Especially the blending from ragdoll.

_neo_

yes many FPS techniques simply dont meet the complexity of an ARMA (III)

but in case of euphoria, GTA proved that many AI's are not the problem.

But this is a very complex thing regarding coding and many other aspects.

so lets just see what BIS will be able to achieve with PhysX and look forward to it! ;)

GTA has bots (AI's) that magically disappear once you start looking away from them.

ArmA's AI just remains drawing processing power.

I think this comparison stinks. :D

GTA has bots (AI's) that magically disappear once you start looking away from them.

ArmA's AI just remains drawing processing power.

I think this comparison stinks. :D

I'm going to make a wild suggestion and suggest that.... Euphoria only needs to be applied to units you're looking at AND who are subject to a force AND who are alive. However, we already have ragdoll worked in, don't know whether we strictly speaking need it at this stage. I mean, it'd be nice, it'd be great, but it's a 3rd party license and BIS seem to be generally in-house with this stuff. Some exceptions natch.

I'm going to make a wild suggestion and suggest that.... Euphoria only needs to be applied to units you're looking at AND who are subject to a force AND who are alive. However, we already have ragdoll worked in, don't know whether we strictly speaking need it at this stage. I mean, it'd be nice, it'd be great, but it's a 3rd party license and BIS seem to be generally in-house with this stuff. Some exceptions natch.
I don't think it actually works like that.

I do think Euphora can work in culling space. It just needs the AI to be active, aswell as the object physics. (or physics object, depending on how it's programmed)

AFAIK it uses the AI's pathfinding to find the shortest route and create animations on-the-fly to adapt to the environment. Maybe it even adapts the pathfinding. But that could make middleware incompatible with eachother.

I don't think it actually works like that.

I do think Euphora can work in culling space. It just needs the AI to be active, aswell as the object physics. (or physics object, depending on how it's programmed)

I'm sure that's the case, but I was only suggesting that Euphoria NEEDS to only be applied to units you can see, to save on needless Euphoria processing on unseen units.

AFAIK it uses the AI's pathfinding to find the shortest route and create animations on-the-fly to adapt to the environment. Maybe it even adapts the pathfinding. But that could make middleware incompatible with eachother.

I'm not entirely sure, but from watching GTA4 being played it seemed like ordinary animation is used for most GTA4 AI, and Euphoria is employed when an external force is applied. I mean, if I were to code a game that's how I would do it. Simple inexpensive (CPU-wise) animation, and when something unusual happens to the entity then either Euphoria or ragdoll kicks in whichever is deemed appropriate.

I'm not entirely sure, but from watching GTA4 being played it seemed like ordinary animation is used for most GTA4 AI, and Euphoria is employed when an external force is applied. I mean, if I were to code a game that's how I would do it. Simple inexpensive (CPU-wise) animation, and when something unusual happens to the entity then either Euphoria or ragdoll kicks in whichever is deemed appropriate.
That is also a possibility. I haven't really done any research on it so please forgive my incorrect statements...

So, what you basically mean is that if the bot has physical interaction with another (physical) object, Euphoria engages and returns a reaction by creating an animation on-the-fly based on ragdoll physics?

That is also a possibility. I haven't really done any research on it so please forgive my incorrect statements...

So, what you basically mean is that if the bot has physical interaction with another (physical) object, Euphoria engages and returns a reaction by creating an animation on-the-fly based on ragdoll physics?

Exactly. I know the Euphoria developers have done research into getting entities to walk using procedural animation, but this is unnecessary IMO and even undesirable. With all the things that an AI needs to do (reload, hide, shoot etc) standard animation techniques are by far the best choice. But for when a force affect's it's collision geometry with sufficient energy, enough to alter a real-life action, then euphoria can take over for as long as it's needed, which in most cases would be to correct itself via stumbling or falling. In cases where a force is enough to kill outright, then "normal" ragdoll could be used instead, which must surely be less CPU intensive than Euphoria.

Euphoria or Ragdoll, I'm still wondering whats gonna happen when the first player youtubes his 1500 AI getting nuked in a city environement.

Euphoria or Ragdoll, I'm still wondering whats gonna happen when the first player youtubes his 1500 AI getting nuked in a city environement.

He could probably simultaneously make a video of what it looks like to cook an i5. :D

He could probably simultaneously make a video of what it looks like to cook an i5. :D

:D Good one^^

Maybe there will be a limit on the amount of ragdoll bodies at one time; after a certain limit normal animations could take over until those bodies are still. We'll have to see.

Euphoria is vastly overhyped. There is no such thing as a "Euphoria" engine.

You can't. When we asked them for further information, they responded with, "Euphoria is currently not available to the public, we only have deals with a very limited amount of publishers and quite frankly I assume it would be much too expensive for what you are doing, sorry."

Their website now states that Euphoria is not a software package, but more of an animation consulting service. They write, "Euphoria is not middleware. Instead, NaturalMotion has close co-development relationships with publishers and development teams to integrate Euphoria into their next-generation titles."

Euphoria, as the cohesive product that has been presented to the public, does not exist. However, if you have millions of dollars, you can hire NaturalMotion to integrate some physically-active animations into your game.

http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/11/why-we-are-not-using-euphoria/

There are games out there that basically do what Euphoria can do anyways:

k823vq2SXbk

zVWZbxGFGiA

Also adding in procedural animations on top of ragdolls seems like a vast waste of resources for a game like ArmA III.

Edited by Cookieeater