Sign in to follow this  
Richey79

PhysX

Every page we explain that this will not involve you buying Nvidia (or a new video card) and each consecutive page someone (who obviously hasn't bothered to read even 3 pages back) makes the same completely irrelevant comments.

I think That BIS should make a Pop-up for this thread stating "You do not need an NVIDIA Card for Physics",

guys did you hear Arma 3 is coming out

Well this thread isn't about ArmA 2.5 :p

Edited by Haystack15

The first time I encountered ragdoll physics was in Shadow Force: Razor Unit, an innovative but under-appreciated tactical-shooter.

Recently World War II Online / Battleground Europe added them. I posed several soldiers at the very edge of a tall cliff, shot them and watched them pick up speed as they slid down the cliff face, continuing to slide across the ground at high speed when they got to the bottom.

I hope ragdolls will allow doorgunners to fall out of their helicopters. lol

)rStrangelove;1952512']Personally i started enjoying Ragdoll when RavenShield was out. It changed the way the terrorists dropped to the ground in such a believeable way' date=' it was amazing. And that was 2003!

It's really needed in ArmA.[/quote']

I think That BIS should make a Pop-up for this thread stating "You do not need an NVIDIA Card for Physics",

I think the worry is that there will be an appreciable performance benefit to having a dedicated PPU.

I hope it does, video card is pretty idle these days, any offload from the cpu so it can do ai routines would be awese!

I hope ragdolls will allow doorgunners to fall out of their helicopters. lol

buckle-up-every-time.jpg

Can we please get an update on what exactly Physx will do in ArmA 3?

I am planning an upgrade to an HD 6950 2GB... but if Physx will make a noticeable difference in gameplay or graphics I would like to take advantage of it and might give Nvidia another chance. I'd just hate to upgrade my PC, largely for ArmA 3, and miss out on improved vehicle handling, ragdoll effects ect. because I bought from the wrong brand. And once I buy the video card, I won't be able to change it out for at least 3+ years!

Because it is an exceptional Physics API which everyone can use.

A dev has already stated that it was playable on AMD hardware so I really don't see what the problem is.

Does this mean I can get the same physics affects (gameplay and graphically) on AMD as well as Nvidia?

Edited by Flogger23m

the physics wont change, same on both vendors cards... just if offloading is supported, you'll get a performance gain for having an nvidia card when lots of physics calc is going on... that is all

the physics wont change, same on both vendors cards... just if offloading is supported, you'll get a performance gain for having an nvidia card when lots of physics calc is going on... that is all

Is there a source for this information? I must have missed it...

There hasn't been any real information whether BI will use the CPU or the GPU library of PhysX

EDIT: They have just said that they have it running on a machine with an ATI/AMD 5770

I don't see a huge benefit with GPU accelerated physics anyway. Because then the GPU has less processing power to spend on graphics.

Less performance is marginal or even none.

There hasn't been any real information whether BI will use the CPU or the GPU library of PhysX

Thats pretty much Max Power's point...

This thread is full of people making assumptions on how physX will be implemented in A3, yet we have very little official information beyond "physX will be used"

Is there a source for this information? I must have missed it...

What about checking Confirmed features first? :icon_twisted:

I've been keeping an eye on the features and it doesn't seem like there's any source for what gnear was saying... that being very specific information on what kind of physx implementation or acceleration ArmA 3 will have.

Edited by Max Power

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardware_acceleration

was gonna try explain it, but can't be bothered. its all about scaling performance.

And it only works if its actually been implemented.

We have no confirmation either way, whether or not A3 will take advantage of hardware acceleration...

why not implement it, when its at the heart of the physx software? all it means is that BIS should scale the physx calc to that of their ~recommended CPU specs, regardless of the video card used.

afaik, vbs physX implementation is NOT hardware accelerated

Maybe if the mentioned thread would receive a certain promotion , people would be able to see it better :whistle: . Although your presence on the forum is greatly appreciated :cool: .

because its physx, it can be offloaded to any cuda device, just like network overhead can be offloaded to a quality NIC. SDK3 has improved the cpu path speed anyway, so BIS can do some pretty complex stuff with it and still have good baseline performance. Nvidia also support game devs, a lot more than ATI, so its no surprise they chose the nvidia middleware.

That :icon_twisted: seems to have a special button on your keyboard :raisebrow:

i think he hates us :eek:

because its physx, it can be offloaded to any cuda device, just like network overhead can be offloaded to a quality NIC. SDK3 has improved the cpu path speed anyway, so BIS can do some pretty complex stuff with it and still have good baseline performance. Nvidia also support game devs, a lot more than ATI, so its no surprise they chose the nvidia middleware.

AFAIK, that support is optional, decided by the game developer during the development process.