Sign in to follow this  
Richey79

PhysX

When i first saw those screenshots i really got emotional, i remembered when i first tried OFP back in 2001 and i thought that it would be an almost perfect game if it had proper physics.

PhysX is proprietary API, there is nothing similar to an open library

I still to meet a game that fully implement Physx(not those particle effects only, things) that has a decent performance. And I have a NV GPU.

In fact every time I see that NV and Intel splashscreen my computer start to tremble.

I suppose you haven't tried using PhysX on an ATI then? :D Lag is a serious understatement.

Well, running it on your gpu isnt all that great either. There's a big performance hit.

The PhysX in arma3 will not be on such a scale you'd need a gpu to get decent fps. It's done purely to save time.

I suppose you haven't tried using PhysX on an ATI then? :D Lag is a serious understatement.

I have tried PhysX in A3 on an ATI and framerate steadily holds its ground :icon_twisted:

I have tried PhysX in A3 on an ATI and framerate steadily holds its ground :icon_twisted:

Videos or it didn't happen!

Good news! Where there any cosmetical Features you had to turn off for that?

Videos or it didn't happen!

Yeah this! Community demand moar sauce!

Interesting, more core use can only be better distribution and a plus for optimising and handling of everything else for Arma3 I would imagine.

The question that begs to be asked is what was the framerate and the other system specs.

Ok maybe 2 questions.

The question that begs to be asked is what was the framerate and the other system specs.

Ok maybe 2 questions.

Around 50 fps with i5 750 @ 2.67 GHz, Radeon 5700 and 4 GB od RAM :icon_twisted: Thats not any NASA computer.

Oh boy!! Thats the same system specs as me apart from I have a NVidia 460.

1 more please pettka, what were the in game settings please?

holy moly, youre fingers must be smoking from optimizing!

but whats really important: on which settings?? :p

smelling the troll alert here ;)

1 more please pettka, what were the in game settings please?

I'd like to know, how high was the view distance.

holy moly, youre fingers must be smoking from optimizing!

but whats really important: on which settings?? :p

smelling the troll alert here ;)

I need just a few things for my part of work, but I need most of details available. That means I have just some marginal view distance (around 2 km as far as I remember), but all other settings set to full, except of disabled post-processes.

But remember, its not the battle scene and I am not testing in centre of Myrina most of times, imagine the scene from screenshots with a few cars to switch and handful of boxes for example :icon_twisted:

Myrina

now that you've dropped it, is that BIS name for Lemnos?

I had that very same thought.

No, Myrina is a major town on Lemnos.

myrina.jpg

Edited by dale0404

It's Lemnos' biggest town.

PhysX is proprietary API, there is nothing similar to an open library

Huh. I wonder why the Nvidia said it was open, then. He said anyone is free to develop it. Very weird. Maybe he was talking about 'physics' in general, but it didn't sound like it. There must be a misunderstanding somewhere, probably on my part.

Huh. I wonder why the Nvidia said it was open, then. He said anyone is free to develop it. Very weird. Maybe he was talking about 'physics' in general, but it didn't sound like it. There must be a misunderstanding somewhere, probably on my part.

He was probably saying it's free for game developers to use, which is in nVidia's interests, AMD/ATI using it however, is most certainly not.

He was probably saying it's free for game developers to use, which is in nVidia's interests, AMD/ATI using it however, is most certainly not.

It seemed like it was in support of arguments justifying them blocking off their physx drivers when the main rendering card is not nVidia. You're probably right, though.

I need just a few things for my part of work, but I need most of details available. That means I have just some marginal view distance (around 2 km as far as I remember), but all other settings set to full, except of disabled post-processes.

But remember, its not the battle scene and I am not testing in centre of Myrina most of times, imagine the scene from screenshots with a few cars to switch and handful of boxes for example :icon_twisted:

I guess it would be fair to say then that the physx system is not doing a whole lot of work under those conditions... or is that not accurate?

It seemed like it was in support of arguments justifying them blocking off their physx drivers when the main rendering card is not nVidia. You're probably right, though.

Neah, it means that physx is unable to run in hardware mode on anything but nvidia (in theory, it could run just as well on ATI, but the drivers are not allowing it to).

The SDK is free to use, like any of the tools available from both nvidia and ati. Now, the point is you can't take advantage to the fullest of its feature, unless you own and nvidia card.

PLUS, Open libraries are what bullet has, where you can use, modify and create your own instructions, based on your needs. with physix, you got a set of tools available, use it as it is, or leave it. I don't see that as open library

Proprietary API:

A proprietary API is specific to one device or, more likely to a number of devices within a particular manufacturer's product range (after all, they wouldn't want your home-built, API-integrated software to be tied to their entry-level product when they come to try to upgrade you to the more expensive model). Note that this doesn't mean that the API doesn't support standard protocols (many proprietary APIs use HTTP as the transport protocol and XML as the information wrapper), just that in its basic form, the layout of the data flying to and fro is device- or vendor-specific.