Sign in to follow this  
Richey79

PhysX

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Steam hardware survey would like to disagree that a "majority of us" have AMD cards.

Nvidia: 59%

AMD: 33%

So doing a possible disservice to 1/3 of the customer base is a good idea...:j:

Edited by novafluxx

hate how ppl assume physx only work with nvida pc's folk the damn feature works on all pc's you just wont have advanced options available. If you own Mafia 2 you know wtf im talking about. the game wont stop and exit out if your running an AMD ( though it should with all the crying going on).

Thats what I'm saying. The worst part is that BIS have not even confirmed that Physics will be in this installment. So people are crying over something we don't have much knowledge about right now. But hey its nice to see people fight over nothing. I've been corrected :p

Yes they won't let you play a game unless you have NVidia card

Right, And McDonalds won't let you eat their food if they saw you go into a Burger King :rolleyes: But hey we still don't know if ARMA III will even have PhysX on it. Oh wait. Thanks for informing me Flamewave

Edited by Haystack15

But hey we still don't know if ARMA III will even have PhysX on it.
Physical simulation & improved animations

Take advantage of PhysXâ„¢ supporting the vehicle simulation, in-game interactions and the revamped animation system.

http://www.arma3.com/#about

It does say it right there. :p

But yeah, it'll probably run well without hardware acceleration, I've seen it work just fine in a few other titles.

Right, And McDonalds won't let you eat their food if they saw you go into a Burger King :rolleyes: But hey we still don't know if ARMA III will even have PhysX on it.

I think he was being sarcastic and for the record, the press release says that there will be PhysX - it does not however, comment on how it will be implemented.

Also for the record (and the 30th or so time), it will not stop AMD users from playing the game even if it is implemented at the hardware level.

PS : Sorry about that Flamewave, I guess we both posted at the same time :)

http://www.arma3.com/#about

It does say it right there. :p

But yeah, it'll probably run well without hardware acceleration, I've seen it work just fine in a few other titles.

Im sorry. Never saw that. But now that PhysX is on ARMA III AMD/ATI (what ever you guys like to call it) users will have their CPU. PhysX is nothing but just to take some pressure off of the CPU. You guys will still have the Body dropping party. No need to go into all this "screw nvidia" or "I'm not buying nvidia" crap. Its not like BIS is forcing you to do so.

Edited by Haystack15

And dont forget, 12 more months with technology developtment.

For all we know, today is doomsday ;) and Nvidia is throwing all their toys out the pram, and ATI/AMD is picking them up.

Im sorry. Never saw that. But now that PhysX is on ARMA III AMD/ATI (what ever you guys like to call it) users will have their CPU. PhysX is nothing but just to take some pressure off of the CPU. You guys will still have the Body dropping party. No need to go into all this "screw nvidia" or "I'm not buying nvidia" crap. Its not like BIS is forcing you to do so.

Indeed bud, I put it down to the overall excitement at the announcement of ArmA 3 and as I said, who knows where GPUs will be at in Summer 2012 :D

And dont forget, 12 more months with technology developtment.

For all we know, today is doomsday ;) and Nvidia is throwing all their toys out the pram, and ATI/AMD is picking them up.

Well technically there is a group of people who believe the world is gonna end sometime this weekend or some shit. :D

PhysX = Worlds ending today or some point in the future.

its something to look forward to i guess

PhysX = Worlds ending today or some point in the future.

its something to look forward to i guess

The rapture is coming tonight... Remember? ;)

PhysX will still run on CPUs. There is an option for PhysX to run on Nvidia graphics cards. Most likely, PhysX will run on the CPU, like every other physics engine out there.

I got a 4870x2 ATI card, so I probably won't be able to run PhysX :p Is it worth investing in a nVidia card to enable PhysX in the game, when it's released?

I'm somewhat of a ATI fanboy, but PhysX appears to be in more and more games..

Who said that arma 3 will use hardware physx ?

Who said that arma 3 will use hardware physx ?

I had no idea that you could enable PhysX without the hardware? I'm aware that you can install PhysX drivers, but I've always been told you need a nVidia card to actually see the PhysX effects in-game.

I had no idea that you could enable PhysX without the hardware? I'm aware that you can install PhysX drivers, but I've always been told you need a nVidia card to actually see the PhysX effects in-game.

there're many games that use physx without any hardware support (mass effect, age of empire 3).

In fact the poor thing about hardware physx is that they voluntarily drop the cpu support (we have 4-6-8 cores now and physx never use it...

Edited by Choum

No, you can use your CPU to use PhysX.

AUOr4cFWY-s

a7hIuytdRKw

The only thing that is different about PhysX compared to Bullet or Havoc is that PhysX can use Nvidia GPUs to accelerate physics rendering. Most likely though, physics will be computed on the server, so PhysX will be computed by the processor.

Just to clarify since some people still don't seem to understand.

PhysX can be run on the CPU (regardless of which graphics card you own).

PhysX (and APEX PhysX) can use an Nvidia GPU for extra visual effects through hardware but this will not prohibit an AMD user from playing the game. AMD users will simply not be able to enable Hardware PhysX.

That's it :D

Edited by BangTail

there're many games that use physx without any hardware support (mass effect, age of empire 3).
...including games on platforms that do not have nvidia GPUs at all (Nintendo Wii, iPhone).

In fact the poor thing about hardware physx is that they voluntarily drop the cpu support (we have 4-6-8 cores now and physx never use it...

Windows version uses Havok, not PhysX.

Also why limit yourself to 8 cores when you have 300+ on the GPU?

I hope my Dedicated PhysX GPU (GTS 250) will be enough to play ARMA III with Max PhysX.

Probably going to pick up another GTX 580 for SLI so I can play that baby fully maxed out :D

I hope my Dedicated PhysX GPU (GTS 250) will be enough to play ARMA III with Max PhysX.

Probably going to pick up another GTX 580 for SLI so I can play that baby fully maxed out :D

I doubt it would be accelerated if VBS is any indication.. So a physx card would do absolutely nothing..

It all depends if BIS puts in the option to accelerate, and even if they did it would only be for extra visual features that would have no bearing on game play.