Sign in to follow this  
Blackfox34

Stealth Kills?

Another aspect to a "stealth kill" in a general sense, is movement.

When you see an enemy in game, if their cammo is in full blend and consistency to their environment, is it because you caught his shape and colour differance due to perceptiveness? Maybe sometimes, but the rest of the time it was because he was moving, your eye responds to movement first, thats bushcraft 101.

Which brings me to my hope for stealth kills.

Movement speed, especialy when crawling.

It would be nice to have a "5% - 10% - 30% - 50% - Normal" ratio as to how fast you move when walking or crawling, dont you think?

Maybe even simpler, just a toggle button for moving ultra slow.

BI should work with Hideo Kojima for this one. Metal Gear Solid meets ARMA would be amazing

Yeah, MGS3 and 4 might have the only cqc system that work without making gameplay looks silly.

Can't BIS just make a nice "throat slit" or "hart stab" animation. Is that really to much asked from a high-end developer? I mean we already have the silenced weapons, they don't need any animation for a stealth kill. Just to completet the package.

Animations and scripted actions create to much of a lapse in gameplay. For instance when you are performing the action what happens if you are shot. Will the animation stop and the target live or will you be invinsible to attacks. I think a simple knife weapon would be best. Maybe add a garrote attack.

Since when in the world would you use a garrote? I think they mentioned animations cutting out during so if something like that happens.

@4in1 Yeah MGS series did a great job at that, but so did splinter cell. And to be honest I liked GTA's way of slashing with a knife.

All we need is AAN news to show someone getting stabed in back and the community can take care of the rest. Though i havn't yet seen anyone make further use of the urinating animation.???

Where's da cuttin off d*ck animation?!?! WTF NO, my life has lost flavour.

Ignoring console gaming.

It would be fantastic to have stealth attacks in the form of "Knife stab to the back of the neck" and the animations to do this. It'd be sweet to walk close behind a guy and knife him, being careful to cover his mouth and not alert his buddy who was in front of him that anything is amiss. Then you sneak up behind him and knife him too. Then you hide the bodies.

Knifey! Knifey!

BTW FTPFPSs do have knifes as well and are PC not console so knives are not only confined to COD.

Since the 'melee' thread was closed:

I wouldn't mind an option to use your rifle butt. Yeah, I know OMG COD, but I think that's much more likely to be used than a knife. I was in a situation yesterday in Arma 2 that reminded me of the usefulness of such a feature in other games. Circling an enemy at close range, firing extremely poorly-aimed shots from a bolt-action rifle while he slowly attempted to get a bead on me with his FAL due to being suppressed by my wild shooting.

It would have been handy if I was able to just run at him and bash him with my rifle. I think if you ran out of ammo and a bad guy came round the corner in front of you, you're more likely to use the object already in your hands than fumble for a knife.

Also, I'm not saying it should kill the enemy, just maybe stun them for a second or two while you reload or draw a pistol. In fact, maybe the option would only be available while holding an empty weapon.

I know this will NEVER happen in any Arma game. But neither will knives.

I would love to have a knife, not only for stealth kills and for those oy you that says that in modern combat knifes arent used.

Well mostly they arent but because most if not all armies train in hand to hand combat with or without knife its not entirerly a fantasy. You might not need it so often but when you DO need it I would rather have carried a very light knife all the time than have no.

And if you use the knife right its much more quiet than a gun, even a silenced gun, and that is a life saver for special forces.

I really wouldn't call a knife attack as a way to gain a "Stealth Kill". Because the guy your trying to stab can be screaming his lungs off in the process.

I really wouldn't call a knife attack as a way to gain a "Stealth Kill". Because the guy your trying to stab can be screaming his lungs off in the process.

It wont matter if his mouth/throat is being clenched;) there should be a distinction between STEALTH melee kills and just regular meele kills/knockdowns if it were to be implemented though.

The only really quiet way to kill someone with a knife is stabbing through the back of the head right at the base of the skull. It requires a very precise strike, a lot of force, and extremely close proximity. Cutting the neck tends to make a loud gurgling noise as the air escaping the severed windpipe passes through the blood of the severed arteries. Stabbing the chest presents much the same problem, plus you need a blade long enough to damage vitals and a precise strike between the targets ribs. If he's wearing gear, you can pretty much forget about any kind of body strike. Some helmets would also prevent or hinder the aforementioned strike to the head.

I always planned that if I ended up in a hand-to-hand struggle, I'd just pull my helmet off and beat him in the face with it. Knife-wise, I only carried a little 3" folding knife. Knives require the kind of fine finger dexterity that you just don't have when your adrenaline is pumping, your heart is pounding, and you're fighting for your life. Your helmet, on the other hand, is right there on your head. No fumbling around for the little handle. You could take your helmet off and smash someone with it even if you didn't HAVE fingers.

The only really quiet way to kill someone with a knife is stabbing through the back of the head right at the base of the skull. It requires a very precise strike, a lot of force, and extremely close proximity. Cutting the neck tends to make a loud gurgling noise as the air escaping the severed windpipe passes through the blood of the severed arteries. Stabbing the chest presents much the same problem, plus you need a blade long enough to damage vitals and a precise strike between the targets ribs. If he's wearing gear, you can pretty much forget about any kind of body strike. Some helmets would also prevent or hinder the aforementioned strike to the head.

I always planned that if I ended up in a hand-to-hand struggle, I'd just pull my helmet off and beat him in the face with it. Knife-wise, I only carried a little 3" folding knife. Knives require the kind of fine finger dexterity that you just don't have when your adrenaline is pumping, your heart is pounding, and you're fighting for your life. Your helmet, on the other hand, is right there on your head. No fumbling around for the little handle. You could take your helmet off and smash someone with it even if you didn't HAVE fingers.

or you can go spetznaz way and attack them with a shuffle. And is the helmet that heavy that it can work as a weapon, how much does it weight really?

Its probably over five pounds when you have the NVG mounts on it. If you could get on top of your opponent and bring that kevlar down on his face with both hands, it would be pretty devastating. That's what we call a "weapon of opportunity".

We used to grapple with our gear on. Its a real pain in the ass, but its doable.

And the E-tool kill was like a coveted, holy grail-type accomplishment. We used to joke around about it. There are running cadences centered on it. If anyone ever got one, he'd have my never-ending respect.

Its probably over five pounds when you have the NVG mounts on it. If you could get on top of your opponent and bring that kevlar down on his face with both hands, it would be pretty devastating. That's what we call a "weapon of opportunity".

We used to grapple with our gear on. Its a real pain in the ass, but its doable.

And the E-tool kill was like a coveted, holy grail-type accomplishment. We used to joke around about it. There are running cadences centered on it. If anyone ever got one, he'd have my never-ending respect.

ok, just read about the close quarter combat in the swedish army, seems like they are learned unarmed hand to hand or using the weapon as a uhm, weapon(howevever they are also instructed to use any tool like daggers, knifes or bajonettes if necessery).

Edited by paecmaker

Almost every military fighter also gets familiar with hand to hand combat. It is out of question that this is an element of becoming an warrior. But regarding Arma 3 you have to ask yourself many other questions.

So I want to have a close quarter attack in the game, even if its not used much it will probably make it easier for moders that will do things with close quarter attacks, like zombies or similar.

give it a break. I haven't encounter the opportunity to use a knife in arma/ofp over a fireweapon in my almost 10 years of BIS gaming.

The argument that soldiers are trained in some sort of hand to hand combat, and that they carry a knife with them doesn't mean he will ever use one for anything but opening cans or carving stuff...

Sure, from a modder perspective, having such weapons already defined and available in the game would make my life a lot easier if i ever want to make, say a medieval mod. Even so, i would much rather have no such ability in the game, because i see no way to properly implement it (not even BF3 knife kills and corresponding animations would suffice for a proper stealth kill).

Knives are most effective in a combat environment for:

Opening MREs

Cutting 550 cord

Adjusting your RCO

Cleaning fingernails

Opening mail

Not so much for slicing and dicing terrorists

People should stop treating ArmA as a Battlefield with bigger maps that devs do wrong because it doesn't play like one.

Seriously.

give it a break. I haven't encounter the opportunity to use a knife in arma/ofp over a fireweapon in my almost 10 years of BIS gaming.

The argument that soldiers are trained in some sort of hand to hand combat, and that they carry a knife with them doesn't mean he will ever use one for anything but opening cans or carving stuff...

pretty much how I feel about Knifes or any "Melee" in ARMA. I have never came in a situation were it would seem useful or needed. Not even for any stealth missions, because a silenced weapon has always done the job well. It doesn't matter how close the enemy is within me, for all I care they can be within kissing range of me. It still not to short for me to: -

Please Excuse my language

And my Ghettoness

BUST a CAP in their A$$

Then people keep throwing the old question "Oh What will you do if you run out of ammo?"

Well, for one, I hardly ever run out of ammo. but If I do get close to running out of ammo, I always end up picking up the enemy weapons and grabbing their magazines. Either that or I die before I run out of ammo and re-spawn with more.

Or two, I can stand there and get killed. If you don't have a shoulder launcher of any kind that is hogging up your ammo slots then you should have at least 5-6 magazines or ammo on you (Yes 2-3 Grenades were taken into account). If your not using your ammo wisely and not hitting your target then maybe you should stop shooting and find one of your squad members or teammates to help you out, and also do more target practice.

But all this said, I vote no for "Melee" to be used as stealth kills. But for Guns, That's a different story. :)

Edited by Haystack15

Funny cos' I have. And do you seriously think this kind of feature would be implemented without tweaking the stealth system? It'll happen in close proximity battles, house clearing. But, yes, it's mainly a utility tool, we all know this.

It's an emergency solution not primary or secondary.

But forget the knife, employing stealth kills or any kind of quick takedown (if it didn't turn out so stealhy), could you? Would you? If the opportunity arose then yes.