Sign in to follow this  
doonbugie

Merkava... IDF??

How do you figure these are opfor and blufor? Perhaps one is 'independent'.

Well, in the E3 demo, the tank was used right alongside Nato troops and Comanches. It -could- be independent, but that´s doubtful. The opfor merkava is wearing the same camouflage as the other opfor vehicles demoed in the E3 demonstration, so it´s pretty clear that it belongs to the iranian/eastern forces. Its camo is also identical to the Caimans, which I doubt is an independent vehicle.

I´d also think Independents would try to distinguish their vehicles from those of other opposing parties. Think the green ID stripes of the captured russian tanks in OFP:R. No such thing here. I think it´s safe to say that these represent nato and opfor merkavas, respectively.

But still, merkavas for nato wouldn´t be a problem. But why is opfor using them?

A few things to note:

1)- Both Merkava tanks (NATO and OPFOR) were using Israeli camouflage. The NATO one was using standard Israeli OD Grey/Green, the OPFOR was using an older and rarely used Israeli camo scheme.

Israel3.jpg

israeli_mesh_camo_2.jpg

20-ARMA-3.jpg

249501_196649663715105_192181357495269_479173_3155841_n.jpg

246628_196649563715115_192181357495269_479165_6738634_n.jpg

2)- Both tanks had Trophy, although the OPFOR also had an Namer AFV.

To be honest, I have no idea where BIS is going with this.

Edited by Brute Force

Yes Israel and Iran are expected to sign the deal next week.

The only match Google gives me for Israel selling Merkavot to Iran is a suspect article back in 2005.

The only match Google gives me for Israel selling Merkavot to Iran is a suspect article back in 2005.

He was being sarcastic.

Sarcasm my friend, Iran is openly hostile to Israel. If BIS do indeed intend on arming the Iranians with Merkavas they might as well give them light sabers as well.

It's not far-fetched to envision Iran going the way of Turkey sometime in the next fifteen years and partnering with Israel to contain the mess of, say, Syria.

Israel and Iran could also sign a non-aggression pact with Israel the disadvantaged partner offering up some hardware. Iran has used the disarming of Hezbollah as a bargaining chip in the past and would have done it if the U.S. hadn't been so tone deaf.

But if they're just a bug bear that decides to invade Europe (and where is future economic powerhouse NATO member Turkey in all this?) for some reason, then it doesn't make much sense and Arma 3's plot is shaping up to be rather silly. But so was Harvest Red when you compare to the facts of the conflicts that inspired it. (Russian settlers? lolwut? Completely redeeming a semi-terrorist guerrilla group by offing its evil leader?)

But it's really just Chernarus that is the star of the show, campaign included. The story is an excuse for the setting, and Lemnos will be awesome.

Edited by maturin

What the heck, they might as well add a Palestinian force armed with Merkava's and give the North Koreans M1A2's. Sounds cool huh :rolleyes:

A little bird told me that Iran uses Israeli gas masks. Might be an interesting avenue to research.

Sarcasm my friend, Iran is openly hostile to Israel. If BIS do indeed intend on arming the Iranians with Merkavas they might as well give them light sabers as well.

Let's say Iran invades Israel ( with help form an unknown nation ) and they win without any nukes going off . What's stopping them from integrating israeli tech into their arsenal ? National pride ?

Then they need to station a capable military force on a high value piece of land , in our case Lemnos . As a military commander, would you send T - 72's , BMP's , guys armed with G3's and upgraded but old AH-1 's or Merkava's , Namers , guys with Tavors and high tech Mi- 48 Kajmans ?

Remember Lemnos is an island , they need a small-medium size force that packs a punch .

Let's say Iran invades Israel ( with help form an unknown nation ) and they win without any nukes going off

That's utterly preposterous. ArmA is slowly getting more and more out of touch with reality.

Well I hope that there'll be some new equipment made in the meantime, maybe some of them aren't ready to be shown and these are placeholders, although I give a little chance for this.

(Russian settlers? lolwut? Completely redeeming a semi-terrorist guerrilla group by offing its evil leader?)

Although the story has some drawbacks, one couldn't make a fully "realistic" story, or you won't make the everyday SP gamer any feeling of achievement. Getting a guerrilla group completely defeated only by capturing one (or two or three) of the leaders won't stop it, we all know that there would always be somebody to take the "throne". But would you like to play a campaign story which never has an ending? It takes a lot of talent to make such a story work well, and we all know how much people were disappointed with the somewhat deepened, but underdeveloped story of the Arma 1 campaign. Some things are better left as simple as possible to make it work.

Russian settlers: Russia (as was the USSR) is a multi-ethnic country, with dozens of different people and cultures, with 27 different official languages beside of Russian. In the modernization era of the Soviet Union (late 1920s-1950s), it was common that when a new mine/factory/other kind of industrial enterprise opened in an area where the majority of people weren't Russian, then Russian workers went there to get jobs, so basically they weren't the indigenous people in those areas, but rather were "settlers". So it's not as "unreal" as some of you think.

That's utterly preposterous. ArmA is slowly getting more and more out of touch with reality.

Ou really?:) and all other past arma(flashpoint) chapters scenarios was so dramaticly realistic life experience ;)?

Please be an objective, this is just a game with made-up scenario! So we can expect any thing. Really anything :) maybe from invasion of south chukoski eskimos to Slovakia :D.

In one point I agree with dev-team people tired of Ussr Russia conflicts its so out dated and not actual with a 20 century weapons.., so its simple not fun anymore. But middle east Israel with amazing high tech military technology and simple their guns looks very 21 century and spacy looking, So its very good idea to add them to the game that's it! all scenario of some nations witch possible can fight each other doesn't matter until there is a good game line story, All other negative feeling emotions and politicals views should be excluded.

Then ignore the scenario and just enjoy the new gameplay features .

Then ignore the scenario and just enjoy the new gameplay features .

+1000

The guys who don't like the story - just ignore it and don't play that campaign

Create own missions and wait for addons :p

And mods. :p

Although the story has some drawbacks, one couldn't make a fully "realistic" story, or you won't make the everyday SP gamer any feeling of achievement. Getting a guerrilla group completely defeated only by capturing one (or two or three) of the leaders won't stop it, we all know that there would always be somebody to take the "throne". But would you like to play a campaign story which never has an ending? It takes a lot of talent to make such a story work well, and we all know how much people were disappointed with the somewhat deepened, but underdeveloped story of the Arma 1 campaign. Some things are better left as simple as possible to make it work.

The details I mentioned have nothing to do with player achievement. They are about a deliberate attempt to remove any moral ambiguity and realism from a scenario inspired by real-world conflicts (that happen to be deeply-ambiguous).

Russia (as was the USSR) is a multi-ethnic country, with dozens of different people and cultures, with 27 different official languages beside of Russian. In the modernization era of the Soviet Union (late 1920s-1950s), it was common that when a new mine/factory/other kind of industrial enterprise opened in an area where the majority of people weren't Russian, then Russian workers went there to get jobs, so basically they weren't the indigenous people in those areas, but rather were "settlers". So it's not as "unreal" as some of you think.

That makes them an ethnic minority. The word 'settler' very clearly confers foreignness on a people, implying that they have no right to the ground they live on. It is also highly inappropriate in the context of the countries Chernarus is inspired by. The Ossetians are in Georgia are not settlers, and neither are Russians in Moldova, Ukraine of the Baltics.

Edited by maturin

As much as I am excited for this game! I could care less for the provided content.. I just love the modding and creations the community makes!

Although the story has some drawbacks, one couldn't make a fully "realistic" story, or you won't make the everyday SP gamer any feeling of achievement.

I assume you've never heard of this:

A5tRNs2X5Q4

:p