Sign in to follow this  
ray243

Am I the only one who disliked the futuristic approach?

I don't like it either...

But Mods like ACE or Project Reality will correct this for sure.

when the conflicct is in a EU land, then i will have EU weapons to and not only hyper us spec ops VS future army guys

It is nice enough stuff in the EU armys, bevor we need prototypes and other stuff for fiktional conflicts :mad:

leopards variations , challencers , Leclerc.

Apache, tiger variations, Mangusta

puma , marder, warriors ..........

ef typoon , raffale, grippens, tornados ,

is enougt stuff here bevor we need future hybrid weapons ;)

and the variations off them offered for sale for an fixtional opfor army

It's not to say a lot of these will end up in the guerrilla's faction anyway.

Be good fun cutting about in an old rusty Chally.

What does it matter if they used M-16 again? Modders would grab the M-16, "correct it" and then hand it back to us on Armaholic anyway, might as well let the Developers make cool things that they've never made before...

I'd have to say I'm not really fond of this approach either. There are so many interesting conflicts in the (near) past like Korea, The Gulf war or even Bosnia.

I am not saying that I will start a boycot, don't buy the game and stuff, because I know BIS always surprised me in a positive way. I guess we have to wait and see how futuristic this thing really is (No laserweapons, no mech-warriors and please no soldiers with jetpacks strapped upon their back). All in all, I'm not happy, but rely on BIS to make something accurate and loyal to its roots.

Even after making my thread about this, and reading this thread, I still don´t see how this setting can make people so upset.

Yes, from the perspective of personal preference, it might not be the most exciting, but! From the general perspective, it´s a step in the right direction. It finally allows BIs artists to be artists, it gives room to make a proper and beautiful story, add new features that modders can use in their own work, and is a setting that new people will be most likely to buy. Influx of new people means BI can put more resources into developing the engine, and giving us more content, possibly even the 80s/90s era content you want.

Outside of that, there´ll be mods. If new people get drawn to the game, we might even see NEW modding teams pop up, which has scarcely happened as far as I know with Arma 2.

And getting upset with a sci-fi setting because the helos are wrong or the amount of rivets on a tank is off or the pouches aren´t of the right brand is just... I don´t know. Like I said, I can understand disappointment, but I can´t understand this massive upheaval that seems to be going on in some people.

Edited by InstaGoat

I can´t understand this massive upheaval that seems to be going on in some people.

Internet.

If they gave us everything we wanted in the release, how could they make money off us with the DLCs? haha I kid BIS, I kid!

Internet.

I guess it´s that. But really, some of the drama that´s on the verge of being pulled here (or is it even being pulled already) is borderline furry in scope.

And -those- can be dramawhores.

I have to apologize for this, but I really don´t hold rivet counters in high regard, ever since coming into the sim community. I didn´t like them when I encountered them on the IL-2 communities, I don´t like them now when I encounter them here.

There is so much fun to be had, and thinking that you just can´t have it because some polygonized guy on your screen doesn´t have the right spacing between the molle columns on his vest is kind of radical and, you know... out there. It´s not what a sim game like Arma needs. What it needs is a framework within the things it wants to do can work, and in the case of Arma, that is combined arms warfare with a focus on infantry combat.

If it still can do that, no matter the kind of rifle carried by my men, I will be happy. If we get some fancier gear that makes spotting my enemies easier, I will use it.

Worrries that BIS will turn Arma into some kind of space shooter are completely misplaced, in my opinion. And again, if you really care about how many ERA panels there are mounted on the flank of a M1A2-TUSK, look to the modders. They have better resources, focus and time to take care of that anyway. Let BI do their thing, they know what they´re doing, and it will very likely be for the better of the franchise.

And also consider that so far, they´ve not abandoned their community once. They won´t do it now, and probably won´t do it in the future, we, you, are much too important to them for that to occur.

We have 3 games with M16s, M1s, and AH-64s. It's time to do something else.

They can't please you gus can they? Thread after thread about hating to always fight T72 and T90's, and know they make it a little further ahead and you guyscomplain that you want to use your T72's and T90's.

I personally don't like Comanches, I never have. They never looked "real". But going in to the future gives them so much play. Like I said in the hacker thread. Bi doesn't like to go out and give us a REAL life enemy, probably piss too many people off. Creating Chernarus was a little lame because that meant physically taking away from a country that does exist. And tryng to make it real world believable makes it a little harder.

Making it futuristic gives them an angle like this persian/iran thing. It also gives them room to let the "good guys", NATO, get their ass handed to them. I mean Blufor always wins, always good guys, and always outnumbers bad guys. It's time for a change.

Also some of you like the Merkava being OPFOR, but you don't know that. In fact you can see a US guy standing behind it in one picture as if it's on the same team. It may be BLUFOR. I don't see Israel ever giving in to anyone, and joining a Persian/Iran/China thing doesn't seem like something they will ever do. Unless Israel gets wiped out and OPFOR take left over weapons.

Other than the Comanche, I thnk it went to a good place in the future. Like someone said about BF2142, that sucked. Went too far into the future (and killed gameplay). This is slight. Besides, seriously how many more games about past warefare do we need. I love the WW2 stuff, but stop making games for that. Modding this for that is ok. But we don't need any more WW2 games. Or anymore games where the only BLUFOR tank is always an m1a2 and OPFOR tank is always T72 , T90.

But still a year away kills my excitement about it. I told you all of our excitement would be crushed when we saw that it would be a year away.

OH, AND THERE IS A TAIL ROTOR ON THE COMANCHE for all you that keep saying there isn't.

Edited by victim913

Yes, from the perspective of personal preference, it might not be the most exciting, but! From the general perspective, it´s a step in the right direction. It finally allows BIs artists to be artists, it gives room to make a proper and beautiful story, add new features that modders can use in their own work, and is a setting that new people will be most likely to buy.

Allowing artists to be artists is the most important step within that step in the right direction.

Must be exciting times for them, with this project, AND Take On Helicopters.:)

Only thing I fully expect from the "future" setting is the the light-blue glowy UI. You know, cos' it's the future brah.

Here's a mockup. :p

KBD0Ys.jpg

I'd take the commanche over another AH-64 or AH-1, that and the future approach is not so far that it isn't relateable by todays standards, and of course we all know that the community will be bringing back many of the classic things.

Hell I'd be tempted to research every possible way to get mine and franze apache in if render to texture pops up.

I like how they are changing things up a bit, as long as it doesn't become generic *cough* CoD like *cough*. Anyways, I hope it turns out to be slightly advanced to what ARMA 2 is, but not over-the-top futuristic.

Ok first i had something like, hmmm futuristic style no way but after that i saw a bunch of screen shots i have to say this is not that futuristic. Ok they putted Arms vehicles in the game that are not even released yet or what ever but at least they will somehow exist no?

But if they keep in the line of Bis Armaverse hell did you saw the pics? what is not to like wait the helicopter? they look Coool nice details on the tank, man i showed even the picture of the that one soldier to a friend, i said to him this is the new armaverse game coming out in 2012 he said no way! that picture is real not in game don't shit me he said.

This is a friend that i tried to get in to ArmA before but he was like verry stubborn and resistant to it, but i guess i pretty much convinced him today to buy the damn game just by showing the future plans of the Armverse engine. Did you saw that we will be able to swim under water? probably we will have also sea battles!

NAh futuristic is more in the line like lazer beam bullets and space ships for me so this still sticks to realism, maybe with a little more future weapons and vehicles and improvised gear that does not exists but hell, if you think about it if they would keep it in the line off US vs russia or takistan people will complain that they will not be innovative now they are innovative and now poeple are complaining that they improvise.

Now i call that a nutshell, i was more scared they would enter in COD modern warfare and more in a spacey Scy fy way but now i see all this, l im not scared anymore they bring this pretty well and if they keep it in the line of what we have now with improvements guys common which game providor is going to bring something like this? Tell me one developer! Non? oh well yeah BIS :yay:

By the way i totally agree they opened up the way more for the modders to, you want more present units US ACU units or russian or even pakistani soldiers even lands from Arma2 and so on, you saw how those units look, imagine what the experienced modders can bring us HAH take that CM :p

NAh after some thinking i have to say thank you bis

kind regards

Operative;1928859']Come on dude' date=' you have no clue what you are talking about.

You can still see CAR-15s and M16A2 in US service, lol.

SF is SF, there are a lot of "high tech" stuff in the world, not only in the US.

Give a look in German, UK, Russian, and even Brazilian (currently developing it's new series of assault rifles, the IA-2) units ;)[/quote']

Car-15? M16A2? Not even. More like M4A2 and the M-16A4. So I don't think you have any clue what you're talking about. We do have high tech in weaponry and Vehicles. Although it would be ignorant to say "Oh no one has high tech weapons besides USA" but what I think he was saying was that we have a lot of advanced weaponry.

Car-15? M16A2? Not even. More like M4A2 and the M-16A4. So I don't think you have any clue what you're talking about. We do have high tech in weaponry and Vehicles. Although it would be ignorant to say "Oh no one has high tech weapons besides USA" but what I think he was saying was that we have a lot of advanced weaponry.

M4A2? What are you talking? The Army fields the plain jane M4 (Safe-Semi-3RB).

Go for supply and logistic troops (the ones that see more combat, thanks for the nature of their motorized operations) and see what they carry.

Operative;1929446']M4A2? What are you talking? The Army fields the plain jane M4 (Safe-Semi-3RB).

Go for supply and logistic troops (the ones that see more combat' date=' thanks for the nature of their motorized operations) and see what they carry.[/quote']

True as far as i can tel

US Marine corp standards

M16 (most likely the variants a2 and a4)

US Army

M4's ( probably some variants)

Special operations DEVGRU issued the Scar for special operations, but they still service the m4, about futuristic it is not realistic layout in ArmA2 that every US Army soldier is commissioned with the scar variants because i don't think it is true. As far as the scar history goes they ordered after some heavy testing, they buying some of the rifles but then socom canceled again and then they only took the light version or the heavy version for special operations, thats how far i can read about it.

Now if they are commissioned to the Army then it will be so, but every recent picture i see of the US Army they Cary an M4 not a Scar! I see some pictures of special forces so now and then and they Cary a Scar black version sometimes but also a an M4.

edit: and the sniper variant i do believe they only where buying a limited count of it so they don't have a huge ammount of it at this very moment. They also wanted to buy some variants for civilian purposes i think in the line for swat and shush, but i can not find any info if they came trough on the order.

this is a link to the wiki about them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_SCAR although im not sure if the wiki is up to date on the count!

Edited by KBourne

No most Marines deploy with either the M16A4 or M4, mostly M4's now. M16A2's were only used in boot camp and they're being phased out for M16A4's now that more Marines take M4's to Helmand.

I don't like the futuristic approach, I'm just fine with the current military tech.

Dislike, it reminds me of graw and looks noob but i guess there wasnt much room for something new, but still... oh well.

No most Marines deploy with either the M16A4 or M4, mostly M4's now. M16A2's were only used in boot camp and they're being phased out for M16A4's now that more Marines take M4's to Helmand.

I don't like the futuristic approach, I'm just fine with the current military tech.

as far as i can tell it is all real existing arms so nothing to futuristic, the only thing that will be most likely different is the clothes. And most likely different weapons, no m16a4's and m4's but more variated weapons i believe the posted a thread about it and so far is see only weapons that do exist. I think it will be more clear if we get more info as we go as for now we only have gotten the announcement and some picture, i think we will get more to see. I jumped to conclusions on the futuristic part and so far i was wrong, we might take this to hasty lets see what they will give for info..

Edited by KBourne

It definitely time to bring Phasers, Disruptors and Compression Phaser Rifles to the ArmAverse.

phaser_rifle-33.jpg

BIS likes to take a plausible "futuristic" approach to their games it seems - ArmA 2 while mostly accurate, included the F-35C which is slated for a 2012+ introduction, set in a 2009 campaign. OA took it a bit further with the SCARs (2012 campaign I think) which were being discussed at the time of development, but as far as I know have now been abandoned in terms of US Army standard assault rifle replacements. PMC has no end to fancy gear, (cancelled) XM-8s, the automatic shotgun, and that UFO looking russian drone being the most obvious examples.

I see this as only a slightly bigger leap in their progression - all the equipment either currently exists or is based in reality (Mi-28). Of note is that from the ARG, we know Scott Miller (the protagonist) was born June 22, 1992. Being around his mid 30s (more or less the average age for a special forces soldier) puts the campaign in the 2020-2030 range. Who knows what type of stuff soldiers (special forces no less) would be using then? It might as well be possible that they are testing out bullpup rifles. A Mi-28 coaxial variant might have been developed by then as a cost effective upgrade to a proven platform. etc I think it's pretty interesting...

Anyways what I'd like to see is the inclusion of A2 and OA content into ArmA 3 - they already have them made and it doesn't seem like that large of a jump content-wise between engines - that way we could get new content and keep everyone happy :)