Sign in to follow this  
ray243

Am I the only one who disliked the futuristic approach?

Well, there's another way to look at it. And that is that games like GRAW, Vegas, Battlefield, CoD, why should they own the near future concept? BIS is going to show them how it's done.

Yes, exactly!

Everypony who is like "oooh this sucks, bring back the 80s" is being a party pooper... we´ve seen and done the 1990 - 2010 era over and over, and to be honest, I was afraid that Arma 3 would be another game set in that era. That it is near-future scifi is exactly what DRAWS me to it.

Cool new toys, cool new features, cool new story and campaign. More freedom for BIS to exercise their artistic muscles, which they hadn´t had the chance to show to even a degree in previous iterations of OFP/Arma, in my opinion. This finally, as I´ve said before, frees them up to really do stuff THEY like, and counteract any wearyness in regards to the franchise they may have built.

Let them do their thing and judge the finished product, instead of discarding it on the mere grounds of the soldiers having fancy digital watches and belgian assault rifles instead of beaten up kalashnikovs and ammo rigs from the 1960s.

Well putting the Commanche in isn't really the smartest move, however the US could have brought it back to live cause starting a new project would be too expensive. :p

Anyway I quite like this setting, though I don't totally love it yet.

Haha since when did "expensive" stop the US

I will certainly love it. Future, past or present! I play arma because of way the fights are handled, the way the AI works and the possibilities with infantry, helis and tanks. I don´t play arma because the weaponnames are realistic.

The weird thing is, it isn't really near future. The Rh66 is old. The mi28 is old, and adding a coaxial rotor hardly makes it next generation hardware. The tank is an existing Israeli Merkava design, been around for ages too (seems quite a few aren't aware of this tanks existence). It's also about time we got Digital Camo. Nothing else looks futuristic. It's more like slightly different time line or some thing. Or a "what if", with hardware that was designed for today (with some that never made it). Given different events, the Rh66 could easily be in the US inventory today.

At first I was sceptical, but I think this is quite a nice idea by BIS. It's always going to be fun as the default content doesn't not really define the Arma series the way other games are defined by their content. We have modders and the ability to create whatever kind of missions we want.

Actually, the more I think about having a "what if" set of vehicles based on various military projects that never made it or where slightly different from what we have today, the more entertaining it sounds. Do I really want to drive an Abrams or Bradley killing a bmp2 ...AGAIN?! now I think about a change would be good.

Edited by -=seany=-

Are we going to have TOTALLY unknown weapons and vehicles like BF2142? That sucks. There is nothing realistic about that. :(.

I don't mind it. From the announcement/screenshots, it still seems like a pretty down-to-earth plausible future.

Bear in mind tho, it's the first bits of information released and we're barely scratching the surface on what we know about the game.

Perfect explanation. the game looks epic from first glance and Jezz...the same old modern warfare gets old really quickly...Bis is definatly making a amazing step and being independent and moving towards the future scenario

Kudos to bis!!!!!!!!

Are we going to have TOTALLY unknown weapons and vehicles like BF2142? That sucks. There is nothing realistic about that. :(.

That isn't in the screenshots?

Read the post directly above yours. Read it several times if necessary.

Whats with the fucked up Mi-28? It has no tail rotor and instead dual rotors.

Whats with the fucked up Mi-28? It has no tail rotor and instead dual rotors.

Well done Captain Obvious! The enemy call it the Hamoc. NATO knows it as the Super Hokus Pokus.

That isn't in the screenshots?

Yep, so far the only made up thing I have seen is the Mi-52/KA-28 gunship.

Not like they haven't used prototypes before anyway, the M8 for example.

The current tech will also probably end up as old rusty kit for the guerrilla faction whoever they turn out to be.

Haha since when did "expensive" stop the US

Since President Obama took office. At least, when it comes to military spending, expensive stops the US. But in funding environmentalists, and wind farms, and a bunch of other special interests, expensive means nothing. Hope I didn't offend anyone.

Yep, so far the only made up thing I have seen is the Mi-52/KA-28 gunship.

Not like they haven't used prototypes before anyway, the M8 for example.

The current tech will also probably end up as old rusty kit for the guerrilla faction whoever they turn out to be.

What M8? you mean XM8 or some kind of helicopter? Cuz I didn't see an X/M8. Saw the F2000.

Edited by antoineflemming

Since President Obama took office. At least, when it comes to military spending, expensive stops the US. But in funding environmentalists, and wind farms, and a bunch of other special interests, expensive means nothing. Hope I didn't offend anyone.

That's with every Democrat President, it's an ebb and flow.

You guys get tired of the old proven weapon systems, but don't get tired of the same armed forces being portrayed over and over?

There are plenty of countries that use the F2000, why don't take on them, so? Just because US military is more appealing.

Bullpup assault rifles in US-SF service, thanks, I pass this one.

US army is interesting due to high tech stuff they use. Save for a few other countries it's mostly Cold War era weapons everywhere.

just to some earlier comments..

"modders will fix that", i am a modder myself, "always" been since ofp days.. and I buy the game because I love it, love to mod for it.. but that doesn't mean I want "anything".. personally i think they could gone back to the falklands war or something, plenty of new materiel.. new weapons, vehicles and stuff, the conflict's scope works perfect in the engine. Will make it feel fresh and stuff.

Seeing this screens would had put me off totaly, if it wasn't for the fact that I know bis is the developer.

But for a seconed, think if it had said "Battlefield 4" on those screens? We would all laugh and say "hey, we not like those people.. we want realism", ..

Well said. I'm rather disappointed at the chosen setting. Furthermore I do not believe future-wars make for better gameplay.

1. Look at Thermal vision-- did that really improve gameplay? Its switched off on most PvP servers and unused in adversarial maps.

2. Did giving Scopes, grenadelaunchers, binoculars, and nightvision goggles to every soldier make each role more valuable--unique?

3. How often are UAVs used to any effective extent in existing arma2 missions.

etc

Unfortunately I do not believe threads like this won't affect the end result. Arma3. I mean wow. BIS must already have sunk a lot of development time into the features and screens we've seen. All the complaining in the world didn't keep sci-fi xm8s from popping up in PMC-- nor FN SCARS out of the hands of US soldiers in operation arrowhead.

And I'm sorry. Modders won't fix that. Look at how long it has taken to produce addons of true Total conversion magnitude for Arma2. The vietnam and ww2 mods for instance. Mod teams (and their endusers) must learn to live with compromises in quality-- or expect even longer development cycles.

Its not all bad. The engine upgrades do seem quite impressive.

-k

US army is interesting due to high tech stuff they use. Save for a few other countries it's mostly Cold War era weapons everywhere.

Come on dude, you have no clue what you are talking about.

You can still see CAR-15s and M16A2 in US service, lol.

SF is SF, there are a lot of "high tech" stuff in the world, not only in the US.

Give a look in German, UK, Russian, and even Brazilian (currently developing it's new series of assault rifles, the IA-2) units ;)

with A3 here you have the oportunity to play with even more high tech toys?

PS: M4/M16 is nothing but high tech nowadays

I see no problem in soldiers having different weapons than in real life. The guys shown are most likely spec ops anyway and they will choose the rifle they prefer. The regural forces will get the issued rifles. It's about time this game got something new in it. The same Us vs Russia crap was getting way too booring.

Operative;1928859']Come on dude' date=' you have no clue what you are talking about.

You can still see CAR-15s and M16A2 in US service, lol.

SF is SF, there are a lot of "high tech" stuff in the world, not only in the US.

Give a look in German, UK, Russian, and even Brazilian (currently developing it's new series of assault rifles, the IA-2) units ;)[/quote']

Armies using older stuff is irrelevant. It's the newer stuff that matters.

Like US already goes for the usage of unmanned vehicles in real combat situations while for other countries it's still very much in a test phase.

I'm quite cautious about this, doing the future aspect _right_ is something that is going to be extremely difficult compared to some "realistic" era. It would require extensive research into current day weapons systems, what is being developed and what of those are realistically going to make it (My impression is that a lot of the "coming soon" high tech gadgets end up being cancelled as they are not practical or the resources for their deployment is not there).

Too often these future based games go all "cool factor" and forget practicality and the fact that militaries do have limited resources. For example I hope there is some pretty well thought out and believeable story as to why and how the Comanche was digged out of it's grave in this scenario (Where did the budget for it come from? Why is it better than a cheap UAV solution? What does it do better in practice that some upgraded Apache could not do?). If it's put in just for the cool factor and all the reasons for it's original cancellation are ignored then it's an entirely wrong approach for a game that is supposed to be taken as a serious milsim.

That said I do hope the game will be good and I'm looking forward to it. :)

Everything current seems implemented already, they really don't have anywhere to go. New enemies and maps are addons not a new game.

I could care less if it is set a few years in the future, I am more concerned about the accuracy of the things they include like the Comanche which was abandoned, however, that isn't to say that the storyline in Arma 3 has to be 100% consistent with current history. Maybe in the Arma 3 story an EU country picked up the project and made it their national attack helicopter.

Some of you talk like the game is set in the year 4000 and we are shooting phasers at each other with rocket packs.

Like many others have stated, I could care less about the guns, camo, and other things being included in the game, as I'm sure the modding community will take care of what we "want". What we "need" is a good game and physics engine that will add and not take away from gameplay.

You guys are fighting over the paint color, let's talk about the nuts and bolts.

when the conflicct is in a EU land, then i will have EU weapons to and not only hyper us spec ops VS future army guys

It is nice enough stuff in the EU armys, bevor we need prototypes and other stuff for fiktional conflicts :mad:

leopards variations , challencers , Leclerc.

Apache, tiger variations, Mangusta

puma , marder, warriors ..........

ef typoon , raffale, grippens, tornados ,

is enougt stuff here bevor we need future hybrid weapons ;)

and the variations off them offered for sale for an fixtional opfor army

Edited by JgBtl292

I like the time period! It's something new and different.

Besides, people will mod in current technology and probably WW2 eventually.

Edited by skooma