Sign in to follow this  
ray243

Am I the only one who disliked the futuristic approach?

Yeah because that's never been done before in a game. Why do people want the same old stuff? That reminds me of a comment Sion Lenton made during a video commentary just before OFP:RR came out. He said the reason they set it in the desert is because that's where most other games were set at the moment, and they didn't want to 'alienate the player'.

As if the player is going to get dropped into an environment like Chernarus and go "What the hell is this??? What are these tall green things everywhere? WHY IS NOTHING BROWN?" and keel over.

Made me chuckle, bravo mate!

The art style looks great, in my opinion. It's a very well-presented futuristic look. Not distant future like Battlefield 2142, but not present day either.

Yeah because that's never been done before in a game. Why do people want the same old stuff? That reminds me of a comment Sion Lenton made during a video commentary just before OFP:RR came out. He said the reason they set it in the desert is because that's where most other games were set at the moment, and they didn't want to 'alienate the player'.

As if the player is going to get dropped into an environment like Chernarus and go "What the hell is this??? What are these tall green things everywhere? WHY IS NOTHING BROWN?" and keel over.

I'm not worried about other games I play ArmA because it's a simulator, it allows myself to simulate today's conflicts and have fun doing it. I want it set in Afghanistan and Iraq because thats what we are involved in today and it interests me. Thats my opinion I don't care what other games have done with those, I would like if ArmA3 did the same but created it as a simulator not a FPS (run & gun) show.

Actually that's what happened to Chernarus pretty much.

There were a lot of complaints a la "AI sees me through bushes and grass!!1" / "I can't see anything through grass!!" which is what caused BIS to go for low grass on Takistan where you have no problem with it even when lying down.

The grass on Chernarus was awesome and varied but alas.

I also dislike the futurism.

Hopefully ACE mod will bring back the realistic modern weapons if there will be none.

Would be nice though to be able to at least add some content from AA2 and AA2OA like you did in OA with AA2 if you own them (obviously vehicles are 100% no go due to a new physics engine)

It isn't a Commanche really. Check out its tail

The problem is that it's very annoying to have 20 mods just to have some basic stuff that "should've been there from the start".

And then you can imagine the mess it will cause in MP

You're right, its a Mangusta.

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

FUTURE SUCKS.... Stick to present day or past.

Arma 2:Arrowhead is set in the future isnt it?

The art style looks great, in my opinion. It's a very well-presented futuristic look. Not distant future like Battlefield 2142, but not present day either.

The problem is that Ka-50-Mi28 hybrid looks rather amateurish. And then you have a commanche without the tail rotor.

Like Rangers though, Always thought of them as the most interesting BLUFOR

Well I for one am quite reserved about this.

Come on guys :P This is ARMA!!! If we don't particularly like anything, or wish something to be different, we have (in my opinion) the best public modding community found in any other game. We should leave it to ourselves to create new things to satisfy our every wants.

At least in this way, the futurism approach allows for BI to expand their perspectives, and exercise their creativity (which might not be the case if they simply just recreated what we all know and see). It might mean we can experience totally new campaigns never played before, and use tactics never thought of prior to Arma3.

Give it a chance is what im saying :) Besides, atleast it aint some BF2142 bollicks where the futurism approach completely destroys immersion. I for one am just happy to see a M14 variant as one of the weapons to use in Arma3 :D

http://www.arma3.com/screenshots/scr05.jpg

No tail rotor :>

Which leads to a question - how does it turn?

Or better - why doesn't it start to turn around its own axis?

Although it has a tail rotor in other screens there is already tail rotor-less technologies available for helicopters.

BIS even had a picture of one to highlight Take On Helicopters.

ArmA3 release date: Summer 2012

you guys started bickering and nitpicking 1 year before? Come on...

Well I for one am quite reserved about this.

Come on guys :P This is ARMA!!! If we don't particularly like anything, or wish something to be different, we have (in my opinion) the best public modding community found in any other game. We should leave it to ourselves to create new things to satisfy our every wants.

At least in this way, the futurism approach allows for BI to expand their perspectives, and exercise their creativity (which might not be the case if they simply just recreated what we all know and see). It might mean we can experience totally new campaigns never played before, and use tactics never thought of prior to Arma3.

Give it a chance is what im saying :) Besides, atleast it aint some BF2142 bollicks where the futurism approach completely destroys immersion. I for one am just happy to see a M14 variant as one of the weapons to use in Arma3 :D

Trust me everyone here will give it a chance, the arma community is known for it's "open mind-ness" and "bickering" including myself, gives us something to do. This game could be set in 1200's or the 3200's and everyone here would still give it a chance :)

It has an enclosed tail rotor check other screens.

http://www.bistudio.com/images/stories/arma3/screenshots/scr06.jpg

Just to reempasize your point: http://www.thehotjoints.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/RAH-66-Comanche.jpg

Enclosed tail rotor

---------- Post added at 11:55 ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 ----------

Trust me everyone here will give it a chance, the arma community is known for it's "open mind-ness" and "bickering" including myself, gives us something to do. This game could be set in 1200's or the 3291's and everyone here would still give it a chance :)

Ugh, 1200's would make me leave. Just saying.

Although it has a tail rotor in other screens there is already tail rotor-less technologies available for helicopters.

BIS even had a picture of one to highlight Take On Helicopters.

Hmm. OK then.

Guess I'm too "old-school" with Apaches, M1A1s and M4s being my favourites

Just to reempasize your point: http://www.thehotjoints.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/RAH-66-Comanche.jpg

Enclosed tail rotor

---------- Post added at 11:55 ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 ----------

Ugh, 1200's would make me leave. Just saying.

Well hopefully you understood what I was trying to say, the 1200's would probably drop me too, but it would be interesting.

just to some earlier comments..

"modders will fix that", i am a modder myself, "always" been since ofp days.. and I buy the game because I love it, love to mod for it.. but that doesn't mean I want "anything".. personally i think they could gone back to the falklands war or something, plenty of new materiel.. new weapons, vehicles and stuff, the conflict's scope works perfect in the engine. Will make it feel fresh and stuff.

Seeing this screens would had put me off totaly, if it wasn't for the fact that I know bis is the developer.

But for a seconed, think if it had said "Battlefield 4" on those screens? We would all laugh and say "hey, we not like those people.. we want realism", ..

Well, there's another way to look at it. And that is that games like GRAW, Vegas, Battlefield, CoD, why should they own the near future concept? BIS is going to show them how it's done.

this game is nothing without the mods. I hope to improve the death and destruction effects, animations hate to use robots. And the weapon sounds are very bad

I don't like the "future" style of the Commanche-like and tank with digital camo. They look to be plastic toys on the battlefield.

From the pictures, I consider it more like an Arma2.5 with engine update and new units. The plants and building seems to be made the same way as in A2 (not possible to enter), just a block with textures.

They have to set it in the future you ninnies, it's not coming out until 2012. Which is in the FUTURE.

They have to set it in the future you ninnies, it's not coming out until 2012. Which is in the FUTURE.

Yeah, not 2020 :rolleyes:

If Miller was born in 1992, and was a CPT, you will be looking at the game being set in around 2020-2025, not 2012...

Good point...

Well putting the Commanche in isn't really the smartest move, however the US could have brought it back to live cause starting a new project would be too expensive. :p

Anyway I quite like this setting, though I don't totally love it yet.

I would wait till it comes out before we get all rage on it and decide whether or not to buy.

You have to remember it's a game and that it needs to have some stuff other games don't.

2025 is not too far off in the future and the guns aren't going to be shooting lasers or anything. They are trying to speculate some new technology that may be out/ is already supposed to be in use by then.

Some of it may be true, some of it may not be. I'm sure they won't skimp on any of the stuff that definitely will be in use/has been for a while.

to me

you can only stay in one era so long in a series, the new future setting will give a fresh gameplay to this series

i am not saying there is anything wrong with the arma series, but if arma3 was set around the arrowhead/pmc time. it would seems to most bis are out of ideas

we have had two games set in modern/near future (arma1 and 2/OA)

also our first love of OFP was in the 80's

so i am glad we get this new setting, a new fresh start with a new engine