Sign in to follow this  
ray243

Am I the only one who disliked the futuristic approach?

It seems like its happening too early or too fast, and most of us doesn't seem to like the futuristic style. I mean, Comanches? Aren't they supposed to be cancelled? Hmmm, I don't know about you guys but it just doesn't works for me. But I'll still buy it, for the modern day mods and etc. What do you guys think?

Well mate like all ArmA's and OFP, regardless of when its set, Mod's will be created to bring it back to this day and age, I do not agree with it being set in the future, they should of created it around Afghanistan and Iraq with some actual looking Afghanistan and Iraq maps etc. or created a new style of frontlines such as North Korea set in 2012 or something along those lines but guess not.

I'm not real happy about the "future" thing either, but as someone said in another thread, we'll have plenty of weapon packs to make up for it.

I've just always been a fan of realistic engagements so hopefully we'll still be able to pull those off. :)

YOU ARE NOT the only one...but...If it means gettin our paws on new physics and features,its a price worth paying.As long as we still get to make content ,realism mods will take up the slack and we get fresh blood into the gaming world.Everybody wins.IMO.

Cant please them all...

i think some changes are in order. It is a game after all, and its scenario is not all that far of...

Plus, i don't know about you, but i got kind of bored about the same M4s, same Aks etc.

From a developer POV, it's nice to use your imagination from time to time rather than copy in a 3d environment the same stuff all over again.

my 2 cents anyways

I don't mind it. From the announcement/screenshots, it still seems like a pretty down-to-earth plausible future.

Bear in mind tho, it's the first bits of information released and we're barely scratching the surface on what we know about the game.

I think it´s an excellent choice to go with a near-future-scifi approach. We get cool new toys, and BI can free themselves from the uber-realism shackles that previously seemed to really hamper their creativity.

Plus, now the modding community has full reign over the uber realistic niche of the "market" so to speak.

And I don´t care if the Comanche was cancelled, because it´s cool, so I´ll gladly take it. OPFOR using Merkavas? Hell yeah.

The realism I care about is in the execution and flow of combat, not that the pouches on your soldier accurately reflect the two and a half week period the fighting takes place in, or that this and that missle is modelled incorrectly or WE DIDN`T USE THOSE WHEN I WAS IN THE ARMY.

Seriously, people, get a grip. It´s about having FUN. The realism in Arma always came from the execution and flow of combat, not the exactness of the equipment modelled.

Isnt the Comache supposed to be a manned stealth UAV with a tiny chaingun and limited ammunition? It seems useless, i'd rather send a ULB in.

I also dislike the futurism.

Hopefully ACE mod will bring back the realistic modern weapons if there will be none.

Would be nice though to be able to at least add some content from AA2 and AA2OA like you did in OA with AA2 if you own them (obviously vehicles are 100% no go due to a new physics engine)

Isnt the Comache supposed to be a manned stealth UAV with a tiny chaingun and limited ammunition? It seems useless, i'd rather send a ULB in.

It isn't a Commanche really. Check out its tail

That's what the modding community is for.

The problem is that it's very annoying to have 20 mods just to have some basic stuff that "should've been there from the start".

And then you can imagine the mess it will cause in MP

Edited by metalcraze

I'm really happy that they decided to take a more futuristic, different aproach this time. Sersiously, how long can we take the same crap? We had the same army, pretty much the same conflict and weapons since ofp. It's always the Americans with their M16's, their Abrams fighting the Russians or russian tech, the same old ak's, t72's, mi24's and so on. This time we got to see somewhat mixed stuff and I'm sure more interesting stuff will come soon. We got the Beast Merkava, Namer apc, some mixed kamov heli, even a damn Commanshe :D The new player models are looking really amazing and hope the new anim system wont destroy the amazing looks. Change needed to happen sooner or later. I'm hoping there will be a IDF faction because of Namer and Merkava. Would be nice to see the not so famous powers.

The 'availability' of present-day conflicts for BIS to realistically exploit was very limited, at least without being strapped down into the insurgency, Soviet equipment model. Now, I don't know if I would ever get sick of a battlefield full of Soviet stuff, and wouldn't mind going back in time twenty years, but other people would. So in that sense the future is a good move.

I just worry that there will be less to ground the weapons in reality. When the Stinger is an instantaneous Tab-click weapon, you can mod it to make it function like the real one. A tab-click MANPAD that is futuristic will seem more like a Halo weapon that is pure fantasy rather than simpilfied for gameplay.

I hate the new tanks, digital camo, combat posture´s, i love the 1980´s to 1998´s wars

I love it. It's nice, near future stuff.

In real life the military uses plenty of futuristic stuff we don't even know about. So as we are simulating the military, it seems pretty cool to add some futuristic/secret stuff, imo. :)

I would've preferred a 1980s Fulda Gap soviet invasion. This will probably be okay though.

I do believe that it is a Comanche. There is a tail rotor there it is just hard to notice. You can see it in the other screenshot though.

Comanche

I would like to see ArmA lll like ArmA ll with PhysX and shit. And yeah, futurism sucks.

I don't like the futuristic stuff either tbh. I'd rather have an Apache than a Comanche any day...

The only thing I worry is it would be so advanced that it would end up too simple or complicated for us to use.

http://www.arma3.com/screenshots/scr05.jpg

No tail rotor :>

Which leads to a question - how does it turn?

Or better - why doesn't it start to turn around its own axis?

Yeah, so far for the realistic physics :) That thing will never take off without spinning like mad...

I do not agree with it being set in the future, they should of created it around Afghanistan and Iraq with some actual looking Afghanistan and Iraq maps etc.

Yeah because that's never been done before in a game. Why do people want the same old stuff? That reminds me of a comment Sion Lenton made during a video commentary just before OFP:RR came out. He said the reason they set it in the desert is because that's where most other games were set at the moment, and they didn't want to 'alienate the player'.

As if the player is going to get dropped into an environment like Chernarus and go "What the hell is this??? What are these tall green things everywhere? WHY IS NOTHING BROWN?" and keel over.

I think it is junk that they are doing this futuristic stuff. They should have kept with modern warfare, maybe a few years in the future 2015. There is a lot they could have done with the game, even if they only kept it that far into the future.

There is a lot of information out there as to what weapons and equipment the Military is using, and you could have put it slightly in the future without changing the entire dynamic of the game and putting it 15 years in the future.

I don't like the futuristic look of ArmA3.

Well it's only like near future, so gameplay wise I doubt it will be that much different than modern. I mean, I don't expect a GRAW out of ArmA 3. That would kinda be too much. You're basing all of this off of a Comanche? Look at the other screenshots, it doesn't look futuristic.