Sign in to follow this  
Meek

Revamped animation system

So, I see "revamped animation system" in the announcement.

I'd like to know more about it, are we finally free from the blendless animation-locked system of controlling your guy?

I hope so, as this means there might finally be decent reload animations and other movement animations.

Yeah, agree with you. Current anims are good but process-lock, which definitely needs revamping.

No more select AT launcher, hit crouch, put AT away, get rifle out, crouch, get AT out again... oh I hope so.

Looks like there are no death anims which is good they are probably being replaced by ragdolls. Finally you can shoot AI on a tower and see the poor bastard falling to the ground! I hope....

Looks like there are no death anims which is good they are probably being replaced by ragdolls. Finally you can shoot AI on a tower and see the poor bastard falling to the ground! I hope....

yay :P

so i guess no more of this :P

really looking forward to this particular improvement and blending the new animations to ragdoll etc

Im happy that they replaces the animation system and adds ragdolls, Im tired of guys moving like they have sticks in their asses, just hope they add some good AI to that to.

I'd like to know more about it

I think we all would, but speculating about it isn't going to be constructive, and I know BIS won't give any details this early in development.

I forsee this thread will constist of 50% speculation, and 50% repeating the same "this is what BIS should do..." that has cluttered all the suggestion forums.

My hopes: they improve the pipeline for implementing animations and make configuring them much less complicated, that way if they don't get it right at least it will be easier to fix with mods.

Edited by Big Dawg KS

Im happy that they replaces the animation system and adds ragdolls, Im tired of guys moving like they have sticks in their asses, just hope they add some good AI to that to.

You dont like the current movement anim for soldiers?:confused: I think they are perfect.

You dont like the current movement anim for soldiers?:confused: I think they are perfect.

Well, they aren't perfect. Pretty sure I'm not the only one who thinks this. A question: does BIS make their animations by hand or do they use motion capture? Because some animations, especially the jog and sprint w/o any weapons, look like their manually done. I think all animations should be motion-captured.

Well, they aren't perfect. Pretty sure I'm not the only one who thinks this. A question: does BIS make their animations by hand or do they use motion capture? Because some animations, especially the jog and sprint w/o any weapons, look like their manually done. I think all animations should be motion-captured.

Ah yes, the weaponless anim is terrible, but the others are good. I reinstalled ArmA1 a few months ago and I was genuinely surprised to see that it featured proper anim for that, made me wonder why they swappe something good for something shit.:raisebrow:

may i repost :

and http://pro.bistudio.com/index.php/services/motion-capture.html

so yes most of it is self-captured, whereas animations such as the reload are manually done

But how many of those are for ArmA 2? Only saw the death animations, the roll, and the swim. Seen the swim in ArmA 2. Can't remember if the death animations are exactly like that. Is that roll in there? If so, what's the key for it (lol)? Anyway, 3 of those were from ArmA 2. That doesn't really show how much is motion-capture. Either way, it'd be better if ALL of it was motion-capture. Especially when it comes to different stances and moving with a weapon. Can't wait!

then you didnt read the link carefully enough...

they have their own MC studio and worked for movies like "Wanted" and games like "Assassin's Creed II"

and again: most of the animations you see in Arma 2 are self-captured.

and how many of the animations in Arma III are going to be motion captured; well lets see! ;)

I think all animations should be motion-captured.

I'm pretty sure the vast majority are. Why have your own mocap studio if you don't put it to good use?

I'm pretty sure the vast majority are. Why have your own mocap studio if you don't put it to good use?

Yeah, vast majority but not ALL. Apparently they don't use it for everything, for whatever reason.

I think all animations should be motion-captured.

In some games it ends actually looking good, but in anothers it ends so bad that the team has to readjust manually all the mocap animations (ie. SWAT 3).

It really depends on the actor and the technology avaiable to use (wich I think is not a problem for BIS).

Yeah, vast majority but not ALL. Apparently they don't use it for everything, for whatever reason.

And whatever reason they have it's probably a good one. I don't see why there's an issue.

Well to be fair, most of the hand signals look abysmal. Not that they're a huge part of the game, they just look out of place when most other things are mo-capped.

Well to be fair, most of the hand signals look abysmal. Not that they're a huge part of the game, they just look out of place when most other things are mo-capped.

Hand signals are indeed odd, but I think that's because of the way they are blended with other animations.