Sign in to follow this  
bussinrounds

Framerate Problems

I am having problems getting a stable framerate on my machine it seems that when i turn at a high rate of speed the framerate will drop down to the 20's or 30's causing many difficulties trying to play. My specs are as follows processor amd athlon II X2 3.0ghz and 5 gigs ddr3 ram and a gtx 450 1gig video card. I have my view distance on 870's and everything else on low any ideas?

Edited by bussinrounds

Set terrain detail to low or normal if you haven't already. The way the fractal detail is calculated and kept in memory is somewhat broken, and will not work smoothly on any CPU or any amount of memory.

Oh, you might want to check that you allow 2000megs of total ram in FlashpointPreferences.exe (or flashpoint.cfg)

Edited by Pulverizer

Where exactly is that option ? I looked for it and can't seem to find anything that says ram, except when i first click on the Flashpointpreferences.exe , it says system with a big box around it that has -

CPU: AMD 2986.7 MHz

RAM: 0 MB

CPU Benchmark result: 8720

But it doesn't let me click on to any of those options

Then i clicked on advanced and tried raising the total memory to 2000 (figuring that might be what you were talking about) and it made it alot worse. I brought up the fraps and it was mostly in single digits !!

Edited by bussinrounds

@bussinrounds

Where exactly is that option ? I looked for it and can't seem to find anything that says ram, except when i first click on the Flashpointpreferences.exe , it says system with a big box around it that has -

Pulverizer is talking about the "in game" settings. On the main game screen select "Options", then "Video options". From there you can adjust many things.

Set the "Frame Rate" to max (20.40), "Visual Quality" to max (11.23), "Visability" to about 1200 and finally set "Terrian detail" to "Low" or "Normal".

@bussinrounds

Pulverizer is talking about the "in game" settings. On the main game screen select "Options", then "Video options". From there you can adjust many things.

Set the "Frame Rate" to max (20.40), "Visual Quality" to max (11.23), "Visability" to about 1200 and finally set "Terrian detail" to "Low" or "Normal".

Thanks for the reply Zulu. That helped but i'm still getting the stuttering when turning.

What should my settings be in the preferences.exe ?

Edited by bussinrounds

Maybe i should just give Armed Assault a go (can't run Arma2) since OFP runs like crap for me. How do you think that would run on my pc ?

I heard it wasn't as good as OFP, but that was referring to the official campaigns i believe.

I could avoid those and just go with the user created stuff anyways. Right ?

300 and something views and 2 responses ? Wtf ??

?? people don't just comment to say "I don't know how to help you, sory". It seems your hardware is just not compatible with OFP unfortunately. I am guessing you have updated drivers so that should not be a problem. Maybe there exist some early 2000's hardware emulator program, don't know?

I did not like Armed Assault, but you can try the demo, download here: http://www.armedassault.com/downloads.html

STGN

Edited by STGN
wording

I think you might not have had too many responses b/c your FPS bottoming out in the 20s-30s is actually not bad (though, if it's a drop from 100s, I can see how that would cause some consternation). I'll be back w/ what I have settled on in flashpoint.cfg and userinfo.cfg. Are you using any mods? A vanilla setup should run smoothly using what Zulu mentioned above. Add some mods and various islands and we're likely talking at least a small degree of performance degradation (though, given that your setup far outstrips mine in terms of raw power, it should be minimal; I ran with high terrain detail for a few years before settling on normal, mainly for aesthetic reasons). There's a ton of content available for OFP, so I think it's worth giving it a bit more work.

Update:

Alright, here's what I have in flashpoint.cfg:

Product="Resistance";

Language="English";

HW_Type="Direct3D HW T&L";

Adapter=0;

3D_Performance="54308";

CPU_Benchmark=7389;

Resolution_W="1600";

Resolution_H="1200";

Resolution_Bpp="32";

LOD=0.005000;

Limit_LOD=0.005000;

Shadows_LOD=0.005289;

MaxObjects=256;

Cockpit_Textures=1024;

Landscape_Textures=1024;

Object_Textures=1024;

Animated_Textures=64;

Textures_Drop_Down=4;

Texture_Heap="16";

File_Heap="16";

Total_Memory="2048";

MaxLights=32;

Light_Explo=1;

Light_Missile=1;

Light_Static=1;

Frame_Rate_Pref=500;

Quality_Pref=500;

refresh=75;

and pertinent settings in userinfo.cfg:

blood=1;

frameRate=75;

visualQuality=0.005000;

objectShadows=1;

vehicleShadows=1;

cloudlets=1;

viewDistance=1500;

terrainGrid=12.500000;

volumeCD=10.000000;

volumeFX=10.000000;

volumeSpeech=10.000000;

singleVoice=0;

enableEAX=0;

enableHW=0;

gamma=1.600000;

brightness=1.200000;

multitexturing=1;

useWBuffer=0;

fovTop=0.750000;

fovLeft=1.000000;

uiTopLeftX=0.000000;

uiTopLeftY=0.000000;

uiBottomRightX=1.000000;

uiBottomRightY=1.000000;

version=1;

If I recall correctly, these settings were based on a post of Sanctuary's, a long time ago - try a search. The LOD settings had quite an impact on performance (iIrc). Going to 0.000500 really dropped LOD switching for me, though with a directly proportional drop in performance (or maybe it was the visualQuality setting? I can't remember.), so watch that one. I don't know what my FPS is w/ these settings, but it's both stable and smooth (about as much as I can expect, I suppose - I don't run FPS into the 100s). The main mods I run are WGL (and its several attendant upgrades; cf. my sig) and FDF. Some islands in FDF are performance killers, but not the main ones I've played. The various FFSXs all run not-so-well. ww4, GRAA, and ECP run great, as does Tonal and it's campaign. I have a bunch more, but I can't remember what they do, performance-wise.

My rig is an old Athlon64 4000+ with and old Radeon x850xt.

I hope that helps!

Edited by Anguis

Thanks a bunch Anguis. I'm gonna try those out and report back.

Btw, my fps was going into single digits (only when i would turn fast though)

And we did install the ww2 mod, but i wasn't trying to play that.

I really don't want to give up on this game cause i loved it when playing Elite on the Xbox for a bit, and i can't run Arma 2 either.

One thing I just thought of: Given that you're reporting your FPS, I'm going to assume you're running dxdll. I was running that with all options on, for a time, before I realized that it was killing my frame rates. If I recall correctly, you can switch running it w/ PP on or off w/ a keyboard command. I still run it (all PP off), but just for the full-screen, no-UI camera. If you're using dxdll, try it w/o PP and see how you frame rates respond.

I tried all those settings and the framerate still drops like crazy and stutters when turning. How do i shut off the post processing, btw ?

The PP toggle command is App-P. In the dxdll folder you can use configurator.exe to adjust the effects (I actually have both PP and reflections off - I remember that it was reflections that truly caused most of my lag, not PP, now that I'm looking through these things again; the Reflections toggle command is App-I). All the commands are revealed with App-H.

Edit: I just did a test w/ vanilla OFP in 'Steal the Car' - no movement other than spinning in place. With my current setup the FPS ranges in the 60s-70s. When I enable PP, I can't really notice much of a drop, maybe 1-2 FPS lost. With Reflections enabled, I lose a minimum of 11 FPS, w/o even moving, just standing still. However, whatever I do w/ dxdll, I don't notice severe drops in FPS, even if the maxes are changed (I hope I'm explaining this bit clearly enough w/o sounding like this is a contradiction of what I mentioned earlier).

Edited by Anguis

hey anguis im bussinrounds' buddy and i have been trying to help him out with this he is new to pc gaming so does not have much experience with tweaking and settings but anyway im not to sure what you mean by app-p and the others i was wondering if you could post a directory that you are making refrence to and are you talking about the reflection settings in direct x?

Hello, angelzbl0od,

The commands refer only to dxdll. The App key is the one to the right of the right Windows key. configurator.exe is in the dxdll folder (again, assuming he's using it, which I think is the case, given the above exchange), which should be in his OFP folder (top level: F:\Program Files\Codemasters\Operation Flashpoint\dxdll, for example).

hey man that dxdll you are talking about is not compatable with geforce cards and that is what bussinrounds is using. Also im still not to sure what you are talking about are you refering to dxdiag.exe? could you post an exact folder location (ie: C:\program files(x86)\direct x

Damn, i thought the release of Cold War Assault might be and end to my fps problems, but it's still doing it.

On a positive note, i installed the free version of Arma2 and it actually runs pretty smooth ! Looks like i might be better off getting Arma2 combined Ops and playing the new OFP mod through that game ! Who would of thought..

Have you tried to disable vertical synchronization on your graphics card? That seemed to help me some.

STGN

hey man that dxdll you are talking about is not compatable with geforce cards and that is what bussinrounds is using. Also im still not to sure what you are talking about are you refering to dxdiag.exe? could you post an exact folder location (ie: C:\program files(x86)\direct x

The Dxdll works on my Nvidia 7950GT.