Sign in to follow this  
hcpookie

Improved BRDM2 units

Having some issues with the ATGM variations. Missiles sometimes drop short from 1000-1500m when firing using magnification on the sight. Without magnification they don't drop short.

More disconcertingly, the ATGM often seems to ricochet off the target vehicle and explode some distance away, in the air, from ranges of 1000-1200m and more. Under 1000m the missile seems to function as advertised. Irritatingly, when magnified the missile does not fall short of target when it is on a trajectory to hit the target, allowing you to see the missile ricochet from the target vehicle.

Running default OA.

Having some issues with the ATGM variations. Missiles sometimes drop short from 1000-1500m when firing using magnification on the sight. Without magnification they don't drop short.

Older russian ATGMs (before 9P148 Konkurs) have a minimum launching range of 500 meters. The operator cannot control them immidiatly after the launch because of the large speed and/or the smoke.

:sol:

Which has nothing to do with them falling short of the point of aim when zoomed in on the sight.

I've just been advised that all SACLOS missiles in ArmA 2 apparently do this [ricochet off the target at 1000m+]. Somehow I'd never run into it before now. Probably nothing you can do about it, hcpookie.

AKM, I too have read that the missiles don't work past a certain range. If memory serves, this has never been resolved but I don't fully remember the details.

The zoom settings on my new reticle, however, do appear to be off a little when zoomed in. My new reticle may not be exactly centered, causing the zoom to be off. The rest of the SACLOS rockets appear to do this too... they all appear to have some drop at longer ranges.

I'll do some more testing to see what, if anytihng, it will take to fix this. I should re-work the ATGM reticles to have a near/far setting to be more realistic anyway. I have read that they don't have a "sliding" zoom as in the game but a 2-angle setting.

Thanks for bringing this up!

Vilman is correct, that a correctly modelled ATGM missile won't arm for several seconds, meaning the stand-off distance must be accounted for. I have read that ATGM squads in real life will also deploy RPGs around their ATGMs to fill in this short-range gap. You know, now that I think about it, I wonder if this can be modelled. I'll have to review the Ammo settings to see if there's an initiation time that can be used to model this "dead space" around the launcher.

Yes, Vilman is quite correct regarding the minimum-arm distance of PTRKs. I believe it can be modeled, reference the M433 HEDP/M203 Grenade round; those clearly have some sort of minimum arm distance since you can't kill yourself with them firing them into a wall directly in front of you, or into the ground at your feet. It may be possible to adjust this for your ATGMs.

I think that your reticules don't quite have the correct aspect ratio. On my 16:10 screen they look somewhat 'squashed' horizontally which may be causing the vertical error. Check that, it may correct the issue and may also be a problem for all sights. I noticed the 2x PKT turret variation was having some zeroing issues as well, but not severe enough for me to notice them.

If at all possible I suggest you implement the two-step magnification. I've never heard anything about any Soviet or Russian combat vehicle having a sliding magnification.

In the real life, here in Hungary, all BRDM crew has one RPG-7 in their vehicle.

:D

Having issues with manportable ATGM systems. They break down correctly, but when you pick up the item there seems to be a variable chance - sometimes works, sometimes does not - of it displaying on your back. Regardless of whether or not it displays, it does not work: you cannot reassemble it once it is broken down for transport. From backpack state, they can't be assembled.

Thanks for the feedback AKM!

As far as it appearing on your back, that is *probably* due to the fact that the Arma2 action figures are not designed for the external packs. Specifically that would be USMC, CDF, Russian, NAPA Guerilla and the CHDKZ Insurgents. I added a very small mod that creates clones of the Arma2 AT men units and allows them to use the backpacks. Since they use the default Arma2 models, they of course won't show the backpacks. I'll bet that is what you are experiencing. They should work like any other backpack for OA units.

Can you be specific as to exactly which tripods/backpacks are failing to assemble? I have not been able to repro any failures with them in both SP and MP.

Edited by hcpookie

Konkurs and Malyutka are the two I've tried, in SP only so far. Try breaking down a static ATGM launcher and picking up the packs - you can pick them up, but they're not part of the inventory and thus you can't do anything with them. If that doesn't work then you experienced the same thing I did; try then with the backpack item and a OA unit that can use packs, I had the same error: can pick it up, doesn't display or sometimes does display, but regardless the item cannot be used.

Sorry, I thought I'd mentioned the names of the ATGMs in question earlier, apparently not.

It may be an incompatibility with CBA. I have to run CBA to run an HDR fix or I can't play ArmA 2, the HDR simply blooms out everything to the point that my screen is blindingly white and nothing is visible. If I could test without CBA I would to confirm this.

OK I have played around with this and I am unable to repro any failures. I have tried with, and without CBA. One thought - you may not be able to see them in your equipment slots, but they should be in your inventory regardless. The packs will automatically go into your inventory when you pick them up. If you look through your inventory, there should be the pack.

To "activate" it, you need to first select it. For me, when it is highlighted it enables the "Drop" button. Then you click the "drop" button to put it back on the ground. You don't need to drop it to use it; you should be able to "assemble" with the packs no problem. Regardless of whether you can drop it, it does let me disassemble/pack/reassemble whenever I wish. So long as it is in my inventory.

One thought - remember that you need to have one each of the Tripod and the ATGM pack!

If you are trying to use the ATGM pack without the tripod pack nearby, then you will never be able to use it. This was built in, I think, by BIS to promote teamwork. Each bag represents "half" of the static launchers. You can load both backpacks into the gear of vehicles that let you, which will vary from vehicle to vehicle. On my BRDM units, I set the default to 4 packs total. If you don't use a vehicle, then you simply get your squad mates to load up the other bag and be on your merry way. When you get to your setup point, either have your squad mate drop the bag or drop yours, and then the "Assemble XXX Launcher" menu item should appear!

My point is that so long as the tripod pack is nearby, you should get the menu option to "assemble XXX launcher".

Teaser - I'm working on v 1.3 to address some small issues and add a few new features!

wheels.jpg

Edited by hcpookie

really loving these!

two things though:

1.could you make some of the 'older' brdms for use as soviet vehicles (without the tricolor)

2.correct the textures of the CHDKZ and NAPA versions? iirc they use the textures of the opposite version (CHDKZ using the NAPA Textures) I belive the same has happened with the taki / taki ressistance vehicles.

looking forward to the update and many thanks for these again.

Not sure what you mean about the tricolor? The Russian texture is the default, basic green. The only other texture sets are the CDF camo, Guerilla camo, and Taki desert camo. Or do you mean the flags? Those can be removed and even replaced with your own; check the readme.

I'll have to double-check the camo patterns... pretty sure they are correct. The Taki resistance vehicles MOSTLY use Taki camo w/o the taki logo as it stands to reason they are using captured/stolen/converted vehicles taken from the Taki supply depots and captured during missions.

1.could you make some of the 'older' brdms for use as soviet vehicles (without the tricolor)

Do you mean Soviet era vehicles ? There was no russian tricolor flag painted on the chassis, only the red star, but in most cases nothing painted at all.

Yes that's what I was thinking too. In that case, then you can change the following in the vehicle's init:

this setObjectTexture [3, ""];

this setObjectTexture [4, ""];

this setObjectTexture [5, ""];

That will set the texture to "nothing" thereby removing the flags. These are the textures:

3 - "clan" = \brdm2imp\data\logo_rus.paa // flag insignia logo (sides)

4 - "clan_sign" = \brdm2imp\data\clear_empty.paa // lower insignia logo (sides and front)

5 - "clan_sign2" = \brdm2imp\data\clear_empty.paa // front flag insignia

Again, the default Russian texture is the basic green. You can even set any of the faction's paint schemes to the default green this way:

this setObjectTexture [0, "\brdm2imp\data\BRDM2_1_RU.paa"];

this for the AT models:

this setObjectTexture [0, "\brdm2imp\data\atgm\BRDM2_wheel.paa"];

Sorry for not replying earlier,

the current semester is proving to be more stressfull than I thought :( and yep, that's what I meant (soviet eara vehicles in plain green) and thanks for pointing out how to do it...I should start to read the readmes more regularly I guess :D

Here's a test of a new camo texture. Not very good IMO. Too consistent and I can't figure how to get the layer with the lines to not be washed out. Like I said I'm not very good at graphics but all I have is Gimp and Paint ;)

camotest1.jpg

Not bad hcpookie. A bit more "torned feeling" texture for the left one and it will be allright. :)

In fact the textures are not bad. But the texture on the left seems too clean. I think that old russian vehicles need more dirt, more scrathes, etc.

Adding the "distress" to the texture is what I'm not sure how to do... Gimp isn't really my favorite program :( I will have to play around with noise settings to see if I can get something that looks worn down. That color scheme is based on photos of Russian APCs on parade. I want to add a strictly Russian texture. And don't worry - I'm not going to use it unless it looks correct.

What I need to figure out is how to extract the colors so the "lines" remain, but at the same time keep it from having that washed out look around all the lines. I see all these other people's texture re-skins and it makes me wish I had a copy of photoshop!

As an FYI, I'm working on making the police lights and siren working before I release the new version. Working on the scripts is more of a challenge than I had expected!

I hope to have it done by Halloween but we shall see.

I´m not sure how GIMP works, but here´s some tips.

Assuming you can work with layers in it?

In this case it´s best to start off with the plain green texture of the BRDM2 called "bdrm2_khk_01_co.paa"

Next step is to copy all parts you don't want to retexture like wheels, lights, exhausts, weapons etc.

Then desaturate the stuff you want to retex and paint your pattern.

Again I'm not sure how GIMP works, but in photoshop I would then set the pattern layer to overlay.

The last step is to add the weathering. Just go to google and search for "gimp grunge brushes". These brushes will help you get good results.

Hope this helps ;)

Go into the layer's properties in Paint.net (Where you change its opacity and name) and where it says "normal" play around with different settings like "multiply", "overlay" or some of the other ones, as well as different opacity levels.

You could try making the layer lighter and give them the blending mode "Multiply", "Darken" or "Color Burn".

Other than that, I have nothing.

Edit:

Whoops! Wrong paint! :o

Edited by b00ce

hcpookie: No joy for me, it's an error that's exclusively mine. Have checked it out in MP and I can sit there and physically watch it happen in front of me with other guys assembling the weapon (yes, tripod + weapon), but can't seem to do it myself. Weirdest thing: going to try for a reinstall later and see what happens.

If GIMP will let you work with layers, save your existing texture and then layer over it weathering effects (loose brush, play with the opacity some, greys, browns, metals etc type of colours) and a 'dirt layer', which has your mud and so on. If you'd like you can get in contact with RHS and see what kind of pointers our texture artists could provide (already pimped your innovative work on the team forums), but you're already on the same route that one of our new guys is: his first work looked worse than yours, but now he's a god. Give it a bit more, skills will improve.

Looking forward to v1.3.

Thanks for the tips guys! I'll muck around with it some more - I didn't even think to look at Paint.Net :)

Small progress report - the police lights and siren are working 100% now! I am working on the remaining configuration issues I know about like some TI mapping issues, and then some testing in MP to make sure I didn't miss anything.

AKM I'm really sorry you are having problems with it. I copied the configs directly out of the OA PBO and redefined the classes to make the all new statics so I can't imagine what would be the problem. Like I said I can't repro the issues you are experiencing. I hope your reinstall works because I really don't know what else to offer for troubleshooting.