Sign in to follow this  
BronzeEagle

modern military movies to recommend

im not a big fan of modern military movies as most of them are b movies, but i did like hunt for eagle one. i really liked the military action. are there any modern military movies you guys can recommend as inspiration for mission editors?

Generation Kill (Mini-TV series)

Black Hawk Down

The Hurt Locker

Green Zone

Edited by ArmAriffic

Over there (mini TV series)

Restrepo (RL documentary)

Armadillo (RL documentary)

kind regards

How modern are we talking? I thought 9th Company was superb. There's definitely a lack of big budget, realistic modern war films.

Restrepo (RL documentary)

Armadillo (RL documentary)

Restrepo (RL documentary) Full movie on utube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4qfYRUm0EM

Armadillo (RL documentary)Full movie on utube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG4-p4OXT4Q

this link is to part 1, in the sidebar to the right on utube you will see the other parts.

Black Hawk Down Full movie on utube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V4joY1VwQM

this link is to part 1, in the sidebar to the right on utube you will see the other parts.

Saving Private Ryan -1998 - Part 1 (1/16) - HD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx7dFp0WhN4&feature=related

Sniper w/Tom Berenger Full movie

http://www.crackle.com/c/Sniper

Sniper2 w/Tom Berenger Full movie

http://www.crackle.com/c/Sniper_2

Tears of the Sun isn't a good film. It's so naive, stupid and hollywoodish I wanted to barf every 10 minutes.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned "Jarhead" or "Waltz with Bashir". Two greats films, unlike TotS POS.

A must see is also the documentary

Edited by PurePassion

Russian War Cinema (almost all available to watch on YouTube)

9th Company Afghanistan

Afghan Breakdown Afghanistan

Kandagar Afghanistan. Awesome movie based on a real events. Trailer

Afghan Breakdown Afghanistan

72 meters Submarine

Stormgates - Grozovye Vorota Mini series in Chechnya

USA:

Jarhead Iraq, similar to Full Metal Jacket.

The Beast Of War Afghanistan.

I'm going to watch this - The Brest Fortress. Check out the trailer. Russians know how to make great movies.

I've seen many Russian WW2 movies, If you want I can recommend something as well.

Not so modern anymore but still better than "Platoon" or "Full metal jacket" in simply depicting Recon force operations in Vietnam without Hollywood heroism

84. Charlie Mopic

The Movie was made as a fake Documentary like "Blair Witch" was done 10 Years later.

Edited by Beagle

How modern are we talking? I thought 9th Company was superb. There's definitely a lack of big budget, realistic modern war films.

Agreed, they did a great job with 9th company.

Battle for Haditha

"Warriors" is a really disturbing movie from UK, if the BBC-thing is meant. I saw it on Arte when I returned from the Balkans and it brought back some memories. It is like "Savior" or "Welcome to Sarajevo". Otherwise it's from a soldier's ideologic view and portrays powerlessness of those who try to help people pretty well. However, "No Man's Land" is and will remain the best movie about the idiocy during the Balkan Wars, it is full of cynism and sarcasm and laced with bitter humor.

"Dog Soldiers" is a really funny flick yes. I watched it at the Fantasy Filmfest in Berlin and bought me the DVD as soon as it was available. I like werewolves and although those beasts have not the best costumes in history in this movie, the plot really rocks. "Werwolves ate my platoon" *lol*.

Edited by Hoot

ShootOut (documentary) - quite a lot of episodes are featuring war in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Ross Kemp in Afghanistan (Documentary)

Ross Kemp return to Afghanistan (Documentary)

I found it that documentary are nicer to watch compare to the hollywood-ish movies like hurt locker.

I would recommend books rather than films as most of the stuff from Hollywood is very disappointing. Notable exceptions are:

Generation Kill

Rastrepo

Black Hawk Down

Band of Brothers

84. Charlie Mopic

Full Metal Jacket

Great books with lots of examples are:

One Bullet Away: The Making of a Marine Officer by Nathaniel Fick (officer from Generation Kill)

Extreme Risk: A Life Fighting the Bomb makers by Major Chris Hunter

Making A Killing: A Hired Gun in Iraq by James Ashcroft

3 Commando: Helmand Assault by Ewen Southby-Tailyour

Sniper One: True Story of a British Battle Group Under Siege by Sgt. Dan Mills

Falklands Commando by Hugh McManners

Apache by Ed Macy

Hellfire by Ed Macy

Chickenhawk by Robert Mason

Generation Kill by Evan Wright

Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowden

Apache, Hellfire and Chickenhawk in particular are must reads for anyone with even the slightest interest in helicopters, and Afghanistan and Vietnam operations. The difference between the noisy, blood soaked, bullet ridden cabins of the Hueys and the soundproofed, armoured cockpit of the Apache striking.

If you enjoyed Ed Macy's books, it's probably worth reading Fire Strike7/9, about a geordie JTAC in Helmand calling in bomb after bomb to keep his mates alive. [/offtopic book talk]

Edited by Daniel

"Waltz with Bashir"

+1 to this. Although it isn't really a "war movie" in the traditional sense, more people need to see this excellent film.

A russian movie : Contagion a russian special forces must go to a secret laboratory, build in the undeground.

very nice.