Sign in to follow this  
Empire1337

Dedicated server won't read server.cfg

Hello,

I want to say sorry first for making a new thread about this, pretty sure there's tons of them but I can't seem to find the answer I need.

I don't know what to do at this point, I am so close to throwing out the server out of the window.

I have read, studied and what not lots of guides of how to make a server.

When I am starting the server, players can connect, no probs what so ever there.

But, the server.cfg won't be read, I have made some of changes and nothing seems to have changed at all.

I have tried copy KellysHeroes tut, but nothing happens.

I even tried force the starter to read the .cfg with custom targetlines but nope.

I tried that, this and what not.

Anything I try, nothing happens, the server starts up and just list as itself with "server-pc" without any changes at all.

I can add the targetlines, server.cfg and anything needed, but at this point, I don't want to get close to the server as I might break the whole thing.

Easier to help if you post actual details;

1. Current command line.

2. Location (DOS path) of the server.cfg.

Easier to help if you post actual details;

1. Current command line.

2. Location (DOS path) of the server.cfg.

I appreciate anything right now, since my mind has almost blowed up.

Command line, the latest I made

arma2oaserver.exe -port=2302 -name=Stupid -config=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\default\server.cfg -cfg=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\default\Arma2.cfg -profiles=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\default\Users\default.arma2profile.cfg

I feel your pain -started a thread "Idiots Guide for Server.cnfg" and got a reply to use KH's guide as well -to no avail.

I feel your pain -started a thread "Idiots Guide for Server.cnfg" and got a reply to use KH's guide as well -to no avail.

I know, saw the thread couple of hours ago. Did everything over again, following exactly everything and still the same things happen.

Your long paths contain spaces and aren't quoted. I personally use short paths (get this using DOS dir command) but I believe the way you quote ArmA parameters is around the whole item. Also I think your profiles parameter should point to a folder not the profile file itself. Try...

arma2oaserver.exe -port=2302 -name=Stupid "-config=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\default\server.cfg" "-cfg=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\default\Arma2.cfg" "-profiles=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\default\Users"

start /wait Expansion\beta\arma2oaserver.exe -noFilePatching -config=serverOA.cfg -cfg=basicOA.cfg -name=cbOA -port=2402 -profiles=D:\BCA\ARMA\GetSkilled -nosound -cpuCount=2 -exThreads=1 -mod=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\expansion;@server
echo "Server crashed at %date%|%time%" >> ServerOA-Crash-Historyxxxx.txt

Your long paths contain spaces and aren't quoted. I personally use short paths (get this using DOS dir command) but I believe the way you quote ArmA parameters is around the whole item. Also I think your profiles parameter should point to a folder not the profile file itself. Try...

arma2oaserver.exe -port=2302 -name=Stupid "-config=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\default\server.cfg" "-cfg=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\default\Arma2.cfg" "-profiles=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\default\Users"

Okay, tryed with simple copy and paste and nope. No changes

I removed the server.cfg and the rest so it would search for the folders instead of the .cfg's and nothing.

And big sorry for my ignorance, but I have no idea how to do this with DOS.

This will simply won't work, I might aswell give up....

Quote the path, not the option itself

-config="C:\blablabla\path\with\space\and\other\strange\chars"

Quote the path, not the option itself

-config="C:\blablabla\path\with\space\and\other\strange\chars"

Tried and nothing.

Does this have anything to do with steam or the server's OS?

I doubt that.

Steam? What Steam?

And, probably sily remark, but be sure your server.cfg is not server.cfg.txt (windows hiding extensions of files)

Steam? What Steam?

And, probably sily remark, but be sure your server.cfg is not server.cfg.txt (windows hiding extensions of files)

I was wondering if anything had to do if I was using Steam's server client or from the CD itself. Turn's out that the answer would be 'No'

And turned out that I haven't really checked the server.cfg, so it was with cfg.txt (Foolish by me not checking properly) but even if I had removed the .txt, the server client ignores the s*** out of the server.cfg.

I am now wondering how far the server can fly...

Not very it's what I am thinking...

a) Most of the time you load it without any parameters.

b) Missing spaces between parameters:

-port=2302-name=default-config=default\server.cfg-cfg=default\Arma2.cfg-profiles=default

c) You are trying to load CO missions:

Missing addons detected:
 chernarus

a) Most of the time you load it without any parameters.

b) Missing spaces between parameters:

-port=2302-name=default-config=default\server.cfg-cfg=default\Arma2.cfg-profiles=default

c) You are trying to load CO missions:

Missing addons detected:
 chernarus

a) I added quotes and tried, nothing happened. Same thing without them.

b) I removed the spaces, nothing. Added spaces, nothing.

c) I added the addon, nothing again.

d) Made a fresh new install and tried again. Guess what happen? Server starts without a prob, players can join, but the f*****g server.cfg is ignored.

I have made lots of bat's files (and some shortcuts aswell) with diffrence path and what not, nothing seems to work.

I even moved the arma files to another spot, but it didn't work.

I don't want to give up on this, but I am so close at doing it...

Still working on it myself - once got a cnfg error (syntax) which was exciting as it was the first sign that my Config was actually being noticed :p

How about the config file itself? Maybe these templates we're trying to use aren't 100% accurate....

I use Steam.

I downloaded Steam A2:OA Server

I have this shortcut

"C:\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\Expansion\beta\arma2oaserver.exe" -port=2302 -nosound -world=empty -name=Server -profiles=E:\Semag\A2COF\Server -cfg=E:\Semag\A2COF\Server\ArmA2OA.cfg -config=E:\Semag\A2COF\Server\serveroa.cfg

Where startup is

"C:\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead"

Using serveroa.cfg

passwordAdmin = "admins password";

password = "YOUR password";

hostname = "what YOU want to show up in server browser";

motd[]= {"some shit YOU want to say"};

motdInterval = 5;

maxPlayers = 5;

reportingIP = "";

voteThreshold = 0.8;

voteMissionPlayers = 1;

logfile = "publicOA.log";

class Missions { };

kickduplicate = 0;

equalModRequired = 0;

disableVoN = 0;

vonCodecQuality = 7;

VonID = 1;

timeStampFormat = "full";

persistent = 0;

BattlEye = 0;

verifySignatures = 1;

regularcheck = "{}";

checkfiles[] = {};

onUnsignedData = "kick (_this select 0)";

onDifferentData = "kick (_this select 0)";

onhackeddata = "ban (_this select 0)";

onUserConnected = "";

onUserDisconnected = "";

doubleIdDetected = "kick (_this select 0)";

Ok thanks.

I slightly changed yours in name and message yet still nothing:

passwordAdmin = "apache";
password = "apache";
hostname = "frogswamp";
motd[]= {"Hello Fool!"};
motdInterval = 5; 
maxPlayers = 5;
reportingIP = "";
voteThreshold = 0.8;
voteMissionPlayers = 1;
logfile = "publicOA.log";
class Missions { };
kickduplicate = 0;
equalModRequired = 0;
disableVoN = 0;
vonCodecQuality = 7;
VonID = 1;
timeStampFormat = "full"; 
persistent = 0;
BattlEye = 0;
verifySignatures = 1;
regularcheck = "{}";
checkfiles[] = {};
onUnsignedData = "kick (_this select 0)";
onDifferentData = "kick (_this select 0)";
onhackeddata = "ban (_this select 0)";
onUserConnected = "";
onUserDisconnected = "";
doubleIdDetected = "kick (_this select 0)";

My Arma2OaServer shortcut:

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2oaserver.exe" -port=2302 -name=Default "-config=C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Arma 2\Default\server.cfg" "-cfg=C:\Program Files\bohemia interactive\arma 2\default\Arma2.cfg"

...with Default being the name of the Folder containing both server.cfg and Arma2.cfg. I know I don't have the profile in yet but is that essential just to see if the server.cfg is being read?

So I start the Server.exe, start up the game in Multiplayer:

-"Dedicated Host created"; "Host Identity Created" message box occurs.

-Create a room named "frogswamp" -yet no message occurs and when I try to enter the Admin panel typing "#login apache" -nothing as well happens :j:

Just remember it's casesensetive.....

And I would have all spesific files OUTSIDE Arma2 katalog, due to reinstallation...then all your files will be lost.

If you fire it up with -name=Default -profiles=c:\a2files it wil create all cataloges you need, then put server.cfg and Arma2OA.cfg (which you don't have!!) in c:\a2files.

Then you put your Deafult.Arma2OA.Profiles in c:\a2files\Users\Default\ catalog.

Edited by NoBrainer

Good point on case sensitive - I corrected that.

Ok so I created new folder: C:/server and placed my ArmAOA2.cfg; server.cfg and profile name cfg (GregJon).

This is now my target line:

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2oaserver.exe" -port=2302 -name=Default -profiles=c:\server "-config=C:\server\server.cfg" "-cfg=C:\server\ArmA2OA.cfg"

After running the server.exe it created a:

Battleye folder

Users folder

and an rpt which reads out

=====================================================================

== C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2oaserver.exe

== "C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2oaserver.exe" -port=2302 -name=Default -profiles=c:\server "-config=C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Arma 2\default\server.cfg" "-cfg=C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Arma 2\default\ArmA2OA.cfg"

Exe timestamp: 2011/05/13 08:19:31

Current time: 2011/05/15 14:35:55

Version 1.59.79384

Item str_disp_server_control listed twice

== C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2oaserver.exe

== "C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2oaserver.exe" -port=2302 -name=Default -profiles=c:\server "-config=C:\server\server.cfg" "-cfg=C:\server\ArmA2OA.cfg"

Exe timestamp: 2011/05/13 08:19:31

Current time: 2011/05/15 14:43:59

Version 1.59.79384

Item str_disp_server_control listed twice

everytime I try to create a new server.

Sigh -this is tough. Bacisally Im just looking for the greeting at server to know it is up and running at this point.

There seems to also be disagreements over where the quotation marks go as well as spaces between parameters -thoughts?

-Create a room named "frogswamp" -yet no message occurs and when I try to enter the Admin panel typing "#login apache" -nothing as well happens :j:

What do you mean 'create a room...', how are you joining the server and does it ask for a password on joining?

What do you mean 'create a room...', how are you joining the server and does it ask for a password on joining?

Lol - I smell a brainfart on my end in 3..2...

After Icreate the dedicated server via the oaarma2server.exe -I start CO and create a room via multiplayer with my name "frogswamp"..... Am I supposed to be looking for my own server on the server list :eek:

Edit: I shall smack myself now. It was indeed on the server list -I thought......oh never mind.

Thanks all for your help!!!

Edited by froggyluv

Yes, depending on the setup I think it could be listed under either LAN or Internet but a filter for frog should reveal it.

After you have created the first Server, you need to shut down the server and move your config-files to that catalog.

Also the ArmA2OA.profile the server should use.