Su-17/22M4 ALPHA ArmA2 release

su17_arma2_1.jpg

Su-17M4 and Su-22M4 'FITTER-K'

for

ARMA2:CO

by

Franze

Version 0.1 alpha

I get a lot of people asking me about whether or not I'll be releasing my Su-17/22 for ArmA2; I've put it off since last year, when I had a lot to deal with involving real life stuff. I'd also ran into some limitations imposed by the ArmA2 scripting engine that put me off from working on it further. While I really don't like pressing unfinished work into action, the fact is that I keep putting it off instead of working on it where possible. So from here on I'm going to try and get at least a monthly update on it until it's finally in a completed state. I won't promise big leaps and bounds every month, but I will attempt to keep a steady stream of updates coming through.

This release is relatively limited; I haven't found the time to convert all of the supporting addons from ArmA1, although some folks have offered help with doing that. I'll convert and release those as time goes on, but for now this initial release contains only the Su-17/22 and the two low-detail supporting aircraft, MiG-23MLD and An-12. I've included some basic missions in the package to at least give a feel for things; lacking a large enough map however, things are limited.

Not much in terms of functionality has changed from the ArmA1 version; the Su-17/22M4 manual still applies except for the supporting units.

So far there are many issues and bugs associated with it, enough that trying to condense them into a 'known issues' list here would take more time than I have. The big ones regard the cockpit and the damage model which have both been significant issues. The gunsight for example is not corrected for head motion and ergo the sight modes are highly inaccurate. Despite these issues, it works and can be used to blow your enemies to their component atoms.

I hope you all can enjoy it and bear with me as I try to complete it over time. If I forgot anything or help is needed, feel free to ask me if you need anything!

Credits

Franze (modeling, texturing, scripting)

Nodunit (ZiL-157 model and texture)

General Barron (getpitch, getbank, setpitch, setbank functions)

Footmunch (afterburner script)

Gaia/Xenom (nuclear blast script)

Gedis (provided information sources on Su-17)

Hellcat (testing)

Special Thanks

Col Klink - Many scripting concepts based upon his work

CrazyIvan - Cyrillic/Russian translations

DOWNLOADS

Su-17/22M4 version 0.1 alpha

Mirrors

Armaholic (v0.1alpha)

SCREENSHOTS

su17_arma2_2.jpg

su17_arma2_3.jpg

su17_arma2_5.jpg

su17_arma2_4.jpg

Edited by Franze
  • Like 1

Thaaaat's it! Thanks!!! I've got one of the most wanted aircrafts:)

Cooooooooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Thanks!

unfinished or not this thing is going to rock chernarus and obliberate the US marines :) (first time i play with the russians thanks to this baby :P )

edit : these are realy cool planes to play around with although the russian version is realy freaking russian :p (good realism, but almost unplayable for people who dont speak russian)

edit 2: just found the translations at the manual nice touch :)

Edited by supergruntsb78

Wow, top work Franze. You do some very top notch work always:wink_o: Glad to see you doing some goods on aircraft in ArmA 2/OA. Keeps them goods going:hm:

Really nice Franze, Good to see the Su-17/22 in ARMA2/OA :)

WOW, really innovative work here! This is going to add some really nice additional features. Well Done, Great Start! :)

Great aircraft. It's the most fun I've had flying a fixed wing aircraft in Arma2 yet. The armament system is great!

Nice to see the bird getting some public attention, will you also be expanding the manual in future? Steer points etc (I'd use messenger but on a different computer right now)

For those of you who want to play around with the skin function, here's a quick tutorial.

First off, download the template files here. This contains some simple templates I've made to hopefully make it a bit easier to work with. You need something that will open photoshop files as I've used layers to make it easier to insert your own camouflage in. You will also need to adjust some of the details and weathering depending on the paint scheme you use.

"su17_skin.psd" is the skin for the wings, pylons, and elevators. "su17_skin2.psd" is the skin for the fuselage and other details. "800l_dt.psd" is the fuel tank texture. Only the first two are required; the third is optional. Edit these as you desire - I made a quick and brief example of what a Czech Republic Su-22M4 would look like in the modern scheme they apply to their L-39s and Gripens. You can get this example here.

Once your skin is complete, save them as 24 bit .tga files and convert them with Texview. From here you have two options: place them in your mission folder or create a pbo file to access them. I recommend the latter as the files can be quite large; however, everyone will need the pbo file in order to see the skins. Once you've decided on the method to access your skins, start up ArmA2 and place a Su-17/22 (any side) on the map. In it's init field, add this (note that this is for the example CZ skins above):

fza_su17_custskin = ["empty","\fza_su22_czsk\su17_skin_demo1.paa"]; fza_su17_custskin2 = ["empty","\fza_su22_czsk\su17_skin2_demo1.paa"]; fza_su17_custtanks = "\fza_su22_czsk\800l_dt_demo1.paa"; this animate ["skin_sw",0.01]; this animate ["droptank_sw",0.5]

Explanation of commands:

fza_su17_custskin = ["empty","\fza_su22_czsk\su17_skin_demo1.paa"]

This array adds the skin path "\fza_su22_czsk\su17_skin_demo1.paa" to the first wings and elevators set. The first array entry is ALWAYS "empty". For example, to add a mission-based skin to the array:

fza_su17_custskin = ["empty","\fza_su22_czsk\su17_skin_demo1.paa","myskin_wings.paa"]

fza_su17_custskin2 = ["empty","\fza_su22_czsk\su17_skin2_demo1.paa"]

This array adds the skin path "\fza_su22_czsk\su17_skin2_demo1.paa" to the first fuselage set. The first array entry is ALWAYS "empty". For example, to add a mission-based skin to the array:

fza_su17_custskin2 = ["empty","\fza_su22_czsk\su17_skin2_demo1.paa","myskin_fuse.paa"]

fza_su17_custtanks = "\fza_su22_czsk\800l_dt_demo1.paa"

This sets the custom drop tank texture to "\fza_su22_czsk\800l_dt_demo1.paa". You cannot have multiple custom drop tank textures; it's either bare metal, camouflaged, or custom. If you wanted a mission based tank texture:

fza_su17_custtanks = "myskin_droptank.paa"

this animate ["skin_sw",0.01]

This sets the individual aircraft to use the first real defined skin in both skin arrays. Theoretical maximum number of skins you can define is 99. If you had 5 custom skins defined and wanted to use the third:

this animate ["skin_sw",0.03]

this animate ["droptank_sw",0.5]

Sets an individual aircraft to use a custom drop tank texture.

If everything has gone right, then you should end up with a result like this:

fza_cz_su22_skin4.jpg

fza_cz_su22_skin2.jpg

Edited by Franze

I noticed there is a nuclear weapon option in the menu, what is the launch code?

can't find it in the readme

I noticed there is a nuclear weapon option in the menu, what is the launch code?

can't find it in the readme

Code is set on a per-mission basis; if it's not set, then it doesn't work. To set it, insert into an init line:

fza_su17_nukecode = "nuke"

Then in-game type nuke into the box.

Nuke?....was that the password this whole time during testing?

Nuke?....was that the password this whole time during testing?

The password was usually never set. Typically I used "tsarbomba" or "bananas" or similar. ;)

so long waiting for it, nice to have air support to some missions (Polish army's SU22)

so long waiting for it, nice to have air support to some missions (Polish army's SU22)

dont want to hijack this thread but it seems vila's has been sleeping :p

the polish have a F 16 already (although this addon fits way way better :) )

wel thats true but it still makes vila a sleepy head :p

been playing around with the SU 17/22 and man o man for a unfinished addon this thing is surely hot, can't wait to see what you can polish up more (besides the handling (i can turn ir around 180 degrees almost standing still :p ) )

The ground steering for a lot of aircraft is under appreciated I think. The Su-17/22 series should be capable of a pretty high rate of turn on the ground.

In the air is a bit of a different story of course.