Sign in to follow this  
becubed

Dedi server with LAN and Internet players?

Excuse my ignorance of this but I've only just started playing multi player games. Is it possible for a dedicated server to host players from the LAN it is on and the internet at the same time?

Thanks

becubed

I have exactly the same question - struggling with the setup of a stand-alone server, so it would accept connections from the global inet & server connections to the LAN as well.

Yes, you can do this with most modern routers.

The LAN players just need to connect giving the full IP address and the NAT takes care of it all. WAN players connect as normal.

The LAN players just need to connect giving the full IP address and the NAT takes care of it all. WAN players connect as normal.

Looks like it indeed, everything goes down to routing issues.

When I was trying the following setup:

INET CABLE -> HARDWARE ROUTER -> LAN (where the server with ARMA + my home PC were present) = there were routing troubles apparently.

I've tried the following setup:

INET CABLE -> SERVER with ARMA (+ doing the routers job with RRAS/NAT) -> LAN (including my home PC) = it worked out.

Have made only a brief tests with default setup + stock missions, though.

But it shouldn't be different for ACE tweaks + custom missions anyway.

If it'll be - I'll update accordingly.

--

btw

one doesn't need a separate CDKEY for ARMA stand-alone server, right ?

btw

one doesn't need a separate CDKEY for ARMA stand-alone server, right ?

I've never been punished for it, but then again....Maruk may fast rope in my yard at any moment. ;)

ArmA2 OA server needs a key only when it's being patched, oddly enough. Armed Assault would happily run and update with a key full of zeros.

My game key is on my game as well as on my server and that seems to work fine. No FADE.

Ideally, BI would give us a public key that we could only use on dedi servers.

A friend brought a router around for me this afternoon.

I kicked off a dedicated server session with just the defaults ( double clicking the armaoaserver link ) on one machine and then on my other checked the LAN screen and found it. I started wandering around testing the PING when all of a sudden another player joined from the internet. So the obvious answer to my question is yes you can host LAN and internet at the same time.

The setup that I have is

CABLE MODEM ---> ROUTER ---> Dedi Server Box
                    |---> Client Box

Cool. You got it sorted.

Bath in the zero ping goodness. :)

The setup that I have is

CABLE MODEM ---> ROUTER ---> Dedi Server Box
                    |---> Client Box

Yes, looks like this setup should work just fine as well (proven that router is forwarding ports correctly I guess).

In my case the problem was (and still is) of the other sort:

one particular guy can join the server & can see the lobby, but he can't receive the mission fully & it's never ending 'waiting for host' for him.

I'm thinking that something messed up with network-related server configs... Would have to reinstall & reset everything to defaults.

It works fine if I just start the server exe with no config listed but if I try using the config I created with TA2DST it shows up on the browser as the right name and the password set is fine it just sits on Waiting for Host when I try and connect.

Any ideas?

Scott

You need to login as admin to select a mission, or define a mission cycle, or set the mission voting ratio.

@ 1nsider

For many it seems to be a router or some kind of security software issue. Search in the CIT.