Sign in to follow this  
Archosaurusrev

A little tip: Graphics.

Ok, do you have a not so amazing PC not capable of perfect FPS at desired graphic settings? Yes, no?

Well, it doesn't matter which you answered, I have something to make your game look nice.

Gamma. :yay::yay:

If you are tired of very right and ugly looking textures, put gamma down and a little up on the brightness.

I play on gamma 0.7 and brightness somewhere on the border of 1.0 - 1.1.

It makes textures and the game world look just awesome, with not that much of an FPS drop, if any (Is it possible to drop FPS from this?).

Obviously at night this can either a) Cause a lot of visibilty problems (If it's so dark you propably wouldn't see with the naked eye ingame at gamma at default either.) or b) Make it look better and sometimes make it look more realistic.

Not sure if this has been posted, search does not work for me at all. (Nothing of interest on this subject showed up.)

I dont really understand? It just changes the brightness and how dark or light the dark parts in the game are. Sure it might make the game look better for some depending on what you like but improving graphics?? No sir.

Oh and changing those settings have no effect on FPS.

I don't think he's saying it'll improve fps, I think he means if you unable to have high gfx settings due to weak pc you can still improve visual quality.

And he's right, standard settings look washed out and flat, if you can get these settings right for your monitor then it improves the visual quality vastly.

Yep I have my gamma set on 0.9 exactly (through config) and also brightness on 1.1.

Game does look alot better, especially in wooded areas.

Ach mein Gott! Gotten himmel! It does improve visual quality, although not graphical quality.

Heeheehee, this brings back memories. http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=99883 huh...can't find the Arma1 thread..

It does enrich the colors though that much is true, I wonder however if it might be possible to just enrich the texture colors even more..they almost look the same when they go in but it's as if a filter desaturates them or something.

@xclusiv8: Basicly what this does is the lower gamma darkens and enriches the colors, and brightness is used to compensate for the darker shadows. You get a richer and more colorful environment, this can be more true to reality pending on where you live.

Edited by NodUnit

if you're monitor is calibrated you shouldn't need to adjust the gamma. Of course, calibrating is not practical for most people so the gamma control can help.

Gamma really adjusts the the brightness of the middle brigtness colours (50% grey for example). well it's really a curve that affects the whole brightness range. this can improve contrast making things seem brighter and more detailed but it should not really have an affect on the saturation (how colourful the colours are).

It shouldn't affect frame rate at all.

Unless the gamma works differently in this game than the rest of the world this should be pretty much true.

Why is there talk of frame rates, why would darkening or brightening your monitor effect your frame rate.

@DaveG: The engine seems to have always had an issue of desaturating itself since OFP, I've tested this on a few monitors and in the end it always come out the same.

While not necessarily the best example here are a few that demonstrates changing the value options.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/Arma2%20and%20Operation%20Arrowhead/arma2oa2011-05-1218-56-40-68.png?t=1305245090

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/Arma2%20and%20Operation%20Arrowhead/arma2oa2011-05-1218-56-54-75.png?t=1305245092

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/Arma2%20and%20Operation%20Arrowhead/arma2oa2011-05-1218-57-37-89.png?t=1305245891

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/Arma2%20and%20Operation%20Arrowhead/arma2oa2011-05-1218-57-25-70.png?t=1305245890

It doesn't suffer as much as CO did though, here are some comparison shots that strangely enough survived the image shack deletion.

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/9354/42331614zn0.jpg

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/6774/55543624hr3.jpg

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/9063/56253583xv3.jpg

At the time andersson had an idea to make a test mission with greys and blacks to act as a option adjustment. Alternatively you could just darken your monitor entirerly but eh..I wouldn't recommend that especially if you read white pages late at night, your eyes won't appreciate it at all.

Edited by NodUnit

Gamma may not affect anything, but the ingame Brightness setting affects the calculation of HDR so if you overcompensate with it for cutting the gamma TOO much you will have your whites wash out far too easily (and other problematic things). Should brightness and/or gamma affect anything other than a final whole-image calculation, AFTER post processing? no, IMO. Is that the case? Not by a mile.

Cranking up the "Digital Vibrance" in the Nvidia control panel will do wonders for how it looks.

On that note is there an alternative for those who use ATI?

Edited by NodUnit

WHAT R U TALKIN?!?

dont take it personal but.....FPDR

I also said (If any..)

As in, I didn't know if this ACTUALLY had a FPS drop.

Fails on you.

OT, nice to see a thread which I made what is not flamed to hell for being "Already known."

@NodUnit. You're right about the engine desaturating the colours. I'm pretty sure this is part of the lighting calculations. The saturation seems to vary throughout the day with mid-day being the most saturated. Although it's still desaturating the textures at this time. You can see this when you press escape or when you you restart a level or something. the view appears very vivid for a few seconds.

If you have ati you can adjust saturation through my digital flatpanels/display color. This is global though so will probably make everything else look garish.

IMO the game does appear a little too desaturated even at mid-day, but you know what opinions are like!

Edited by DaveG

Any idea on how I can fix my vid graphics setting problem?

Heres my situation/problem.

Once I get ingame, I get nothing but a white greyish sky, and no painted on background like the mountains and stuff,

game looks drab and colorless.

What i do to fix it

Now what I have to do, and I do this everytime, as it works, is change my video memory from one setting to the next,

and it dont matter which one. Doing this I get the blue skys, painted background ect.,.

If I shutdown the game and then reneter and get ingame i have to change the vid memory settings,

but if i stay ingame, and change mission I dont have to do anything, thats how it works, its only when i

get in the game the 1st time like a mission ingame.

I have a

Nvidia Geforce GTX 260  896 mem

any ideas on what to make my settings in my nvidia control panel so i dont have to make this a constant

habit of changing the vid settings everytime i enter the game?

Edited by Gnter Severloh

OT, nice to see a thread which I made what is not flamed to hell for being "Already known."

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or if that was directed my way, but if so then I apologize, I didn't mean it to come off as a flame, I think it is good that you brought the topic back up, it just made me reminisce a bit.

@NodUnit. You're right about the engine desaturating the colours. I'm pretty sure this is part of the lighting calculations. The saturation seems to vary throughout the day with mid-day being the most saturated. Although it's still desaturating the textures at this time. You can see this when you press escape or when you you restart a level or something. the view appears very vivid for a few seconds.

If you have ati you can adjust saturation through my digital flatpanels/display color. This is global though so will probably make everything else look garish.

IMO the game does appear a little too desaturated even at mid-day, but you know what opinions are like!

You would not believe the lsd trip I just had in crysis after messing with that.

ohhh yes i know this you can do some crazy sht with that on crysis+ particle mods and the last mission on the carrier

:slayer2::pet11:

Edited by PurePassion

You would not believe the lsd trip I just had in crysis after messing with that.

Hahahahahaha! I'm going to give that a try!

@Nod

Naw man, not as a hostile reply.

@Everyone else

So, anyone liking this, any suggestions to make it better?