Sign in to follow this  
Rough Knight

[Answered] MSI Afterburner and ARMA2 compatability?

Hi Guys,

I use MSI afterburner to alter the fan speed profile on my GPU. In ARMA2 as it is so demanding this works well.

The OSD server however does not seem to work. I also like to use it to display FPS, GPU temp and GPU usage. On almost every other game this works other than ARMA2. Does anyone know how to make the OSD work or does anyone else use it...surely I am not the only one? There are some settings concerning application detection which I have tried all kinds of combinations to no effect.

The other thing is, would BattleEye see MSI Afterburner as a potential hack as I got banned from Bloododin and Hull_Creature insurgency server. I thought it may have been because of my BattleEye installation, but am wondering if it could be MSI Afterburner OSD being considered a hack as it is writing something to the OSD? Otherwise, I have no idea why?

Thanks

Frosty

Edited by Dwarden

Hm it works fine here. I haven't used it as much, yet if I detach the display,

it remains visible ontop of arma and works.

That said maybe the OSD is something different - more like a noob in the tool so far. :)

As for BE: try to contact the author. He may be able to whitelist the app.

Hm it works fine here. I haven't used it as much, yet if I detach the display,

it remains visible ontop of arma and works.

Thanks PVP, I will try using the detached display as you suggest. I have no doubt it is working in the background...its just not overlaying the OSD to the game screen. This is how I set the OSD to work:

I go to "Settings" > "monitoring" > Highlight required item then check "Show in On-Screen display"

Works in most games [utilizes the riva-tuner statistics server], still no luck with ARMA2. I will keep trying, otherwise if anyone can get it to work...please let me know!

Thanks

Thanks

i had no problems using MSI Afterburner and BattlEye ingame since both exist ...

also there is only issue with MSI afterburner , if you exit it then it may crash the application if it's running in fullscreen mode (i assume some issue related to the OSD/injection code the MSIA uses)

the OSD works fine also because A2/OA are DX9 games and the OSD is D3D9 compatible ...

Thanks for taking the time to confirm that this works. I tried it on my work machine and MSI afterburner OSD is fine. There must be something else causing the problem on my home machine.

I guess what made me ask the question was this extract from the MSI afterburner readme.

- Anticheat systems of some online games may restrict On-Screen Display usage

and block connection to the server when On-Screen Display server is running

Thanks again

Frosty

that's mainly aimed on Punkbuster and Gameguard etc.

Just in case anyone else has the problem, after some further investigation I found that if ARMA2 is launched through a launcher, MSI afterburner by default doesn't seem to initiate. That is...at least on my machine.

If I launch directly from the game executable or a shortcut to it, MSI Afterburner works perfect. I am not sure of the work around for this yet, I will post back if I find something. I am using Spirited Machines launcher, I am not sure how a launcher would access the executables? If the launcher uses the executable which I assume it does because you have to tell the launcher where they are, I don't understand why it wouldn't work.

Thanks for the info too Dwarden!

Kind Regards

Frosty

Edited by Rough Knight