Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

Six Updater: Install/Update mods, missions. Delta patching. Server browser, and more!

Hi, a bat file is no exe, and these are not supported.

Everything incl CO should be pretty much auto detected, or the games might not be properly installed (registry entries etc).

Startup parameters you can configure through the software.

Hi, not sure whether this has already been answered in the previous pages (101 pages is a lot to trawl through and the search function doesn't bring anything up). I'm having problems with SU since installing it, if I run arma 2 via SU the in-game server list is empty and the SU server list doesn't bring up the servers I require. I've tried putting in the server IP and port in the remote option in the in-game server but no joy. If I launch arma 2 without SU the in-game server list is fine.

Any ideas?

UPDATE: Found the problem. It was something to do with the browsinglongitude and browsinglatitude in my user profile.

Edited by woody3883

The six updater just saved my mind from going insane. I can finally play mods with SP missions and be able to save and revert back to the same save! Also, no messages about deleted contents or "this addon requires this addon" crap! Now I have a question, does the six updater launch the game using the mods that are in my root arma 2 folder or does it use mods from the SIX network? If from my Arma root folder, then this means the six laucnher is updating/installing/verifying what it's in my ARMA 2 @mod folders? I'm confused on how it works because I see them installing and updating but not sure where or what it's doing it to. Thank you!

I see that A3 support has been added to SU, but I can't seem to get it to work correctly. Is it not possible to use SU for A2 and A3 concurrently? Not sure if I'm ready to move to PWS yet...

I see that A3 support has been added to SU, but I can't seem to get it to work correctly. Is it not possible to use SU for A2 and A3 concurrently? Not sure if I'm ready to move to PWS yet...

Should work fine yes.

Perhaps you can start with providing information on what isn't working, describe what you are trying and what are you experiencing, etc; http://www.six-updater.net/p/support.html

Thanks

Edited by Sickboy

OK, so I'm definitely doing something wrong. Will post on the support page.

it gives me an error on start

Very descriptive, with that everyone really can help you.

I have moved your post into the correct thread. Please search before posting!

Annoyingly my Sophos Virus Protection software blocks the v2.9.7pre download link on six-updater.net and the Play.withSIX.com site. I get this sort of message:

High Risk Website Blocked

Access has been blocked as the threat Mal/HTMLGen-A has been found on this website.

Just thought I'd let you know.

Thanks, security suites generally are hell to pay for us developers, sadly. Guilty until proven otherwise!

Seems to be a common issue with sophos: http://community.sophos.com/t5/Sophos-EndUser-Protection/Re-False-positive-mal-HTMLgen-a/td-p/36863

Perhaps we can submit the site for re-inspectation so they might remove us from that absurd blacklist.

I've put your site in the authorised list as I know no-one here would be seeking to put malicious spyware/adware/trojans/viruses or whatever on my system! :)

Looks great Sickboy, can't wait to try it out. Might submit something there myself one day ;).

Thanks for that link too!

Hi, I searched and couldn't find anything so sorry if this has already been posted and asked. But I have a friend who has ArmA2 on steam and when launching via SU it launches twice. This has only started recently, is it an issue with SU or is steam just being weird?

Is the D/L speed capped at around 700kb/sec? My connection is capable of more speed but somehow SixUpdater doesn't go above those said 700kb

How do I download a server repository?

Is it not possible in playwithSIX, since sixupdater isnt out anymore

Is the D/L speed capped at around 700kb/sec? My connection is capable of more speed but somehow SixUpdater doesn't go above those said 700kb

It isn't, I tested this a few days ago because people I play with were complaining. I managed to almost max out a gigabyte LAN connection using SixUpdater. So any slowness you are seeing is as a result of either your internee or the server you are downloading from.

So any slowness you are seeing is as a result of either your internee or the server you are downloading from.

Must be a server issue then but tbh,i never really saw it downloading faster than the above mentioned 700kb and im using it for a while now.Very weird

I like the old Six Updater that did not need to save a duplicate folder(.rsync takes up too much wasted space). I'm sure there is a better way. Why not just have a log file to see if things need updating?

Edited by Cogar69

I like the old Six Updater that did not need to save a duplicate folder(.rsync takes up too much wasted space). I'm sure there is a better way. Why not just have a log file to see if things need updating?

Hi,

There has not been any SIX Updater ever without the .rsync subfolder. We've always had it.

If you have too low space on your SSD, you can configure these folders to another harddrive with cheap space.

The space is not wasted because it is used for repair and differential updates.

See here for an explanation about the how and why: http://getsatisfaction.withsix.com/withsix/topics/why_does_it_use_nearly_double_disk_space

and http://getsatisfaction.withsix.com/withsix/topics/what_are_differential_updates_delta_patching_and_why_is_it_special

Also the approach is being redesigned with Synq, our new distribution tech: http://play.withsix.com/posts/97-introducing-codename-synq-our-new-distribution-tech

Major differences are:

- Multi Version and Branch support. No longer limited to the latest updates, can lock onto version you desire

- Default shared pack folder between all mods of a game, and all versions of a mod

- Deduplication in storage and transfers

- Process multiple mods at once to maximize bandwidth potential

It will also be possible to live without the compressed files, but the penalty will be slower updates due to having to compress each file before updating it.

---------- Post added at 10:44 ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 ----------

Hi, I searched and couldn't find anything so sorry if this has already been posted and asked. But I have a friend who has ArmA2 on steam and when launching via SU it launches twice. This has only started recently, is it an issue with SU or is steam just being weird?
It should be an issue with Steam because of changed formats, dlc activation etc. If you sort that out, everything should work as normal again.

---------- Post added at 10:46 ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 ----------

It isn't, I tested this a few days ago because people I play with were complaining. I managed to almost max out a gigabyte LAN connection using SixUpdater. So any slowness you are seeing is as a result of either your internee or the server you are downloading from.
Must be a server issue then but tbh,i never really saw it downloading faster than the above mentioned 700kb and im using it for a while now.Very weird

We're constantly monitoring and improving the network. Especially last few weeks should've been significant improvements.

Often the problem is related to configuration on the system, like security suites etc: http://getsatisfaction.withsix.com/withsix/topics/troubleshooting_connection_problems_exception_during_convert_install_update

If you still run into slow speeds, please feel free to post to http://getsatisfaction.withsix.com/withsix

supply some details like location, and preferably the log files.

---------- Post added at 10:48 ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 ----------

How do I download a server repository?

Is it not possible in playwithSIX, since sixupdater isnt out anymore

The same way as with SIX Updater, except exchange sixupdater:// with pws://

Guide in progress on pws custom repo support @ https://docs.google.com/document/d/1K5gsMuvN1E_GGajrkcLzapEuHPN1eZZ68ok5hczfhQ4/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks you very much for responding soo quick! I must not have noticed my HD getting filled back then. Thanks for an awesome program.

Have him run the arma 2 DLCS on steam, it's usually the ACR dlc that causes the issue as it needs to install an update which is what is causing this problem. I know it sounds like a weird cause but I've known two other people who have had this exact issue and doing this solved it.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: CLR20r3

Problem Signature 01: six updater gui.exe

Problem Signature 02: 2.9.7.38

Problem Signature 03: 514e0be5

Problem Signature 04: System.Xml

Problem Signature 05: 4.0.0.0

Problem Signature 06: 4d92f388

Problem Signature 07: 722

Problem Signature 08: 27

Problem Signature 09: System.TypeInitialization

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

N000000!!!! SixUpdater refuses to launch for me. Six launcher works. PwS works but handling more than 5 addons in that makes my brain explode.

N000000!!!! SixUpdater refuses to launch for me. Six launcher works. PwS works but handling more than 5 addons in that makes my brain explode.
TypeInitialization sounds like some dll missing or corrupt, the log file might contain more info.

(Info on log files available at http://www.six-updater.net/p/support.html)

Re PwS and mod management; just a couple more weeks, we want to put synq out there and the repo and deddy manager, then the collection/mod management UI will get a major overhaul.

I've managed to setup a custom repo, on my local webserver at least (using http not rsync), that serves a couple of folders, @servername-common and @servername-test.

These are being downloaded to servermods/ but I'd rather they were just put in my main ArmA folder alongside all the other mods. I read the following at http://www.six-projects.net/Six_Updater+CustomRepos_setup

"Note: It is recommended to set the 'Server Mods Path' (Relative paths are supported), either globally in the Options, or on favorite Settings Profile, or directly on the server.

Without a Server Mods Path, CustomRepos mods will be installed to the ordinary mods installation folder - migrating existing mod folders to the version available on the zSync repository. While this is useful for those with a lot of bandwidth but little diskspace, it is recommended to seperate mods from the official Six Updater network, and those of custom zSync repositories."

I didn't set a Server Mods Path so I was expecting them to download to the main ArmA folder but obviously I need to change something, so can you advise what I need to change on the server to ensure the mods are downloaded to the main folder on all clients?

Also, I was wondering if I can just add files to my Custom Repo folders on the server and these will get pushed to the clients next time they run PwS or if I need to recreate the config files by using the SU RepoManager when I want to add files? I'm guessing that I will, as I see the config.yml has :size and :wd_size parameters and the custom folders have a .repository.yml listing the files. I was just thinking it would be nice if I could let a couple of admins just add files to the custom repo folders without them having to install and learn how to use the SU RepoManager.

Actually, I see that the commandline tool can be used, which will be easier as then I can just create a batch file which they can use with "SixZsync.exe --push-repo C:/local/path/to/repo ftp://ftpuser:ftppassword@ftp-hostname.net/remote/path" (or "SixZsync.exe --commit-repo C:/local/path/to/repo") if they want to manually ftp the files afterwards. It looks like SixZsync.exe isn't a standalone tool though and relies on other files installed with Six, so it would be cool if you could make a package containing only the files required to use this commandline tool, so that the full SU doesn't need to be installed.

Also, I've found when using the RepoManager and setting the Remote folder to a local folder for testing, when I click Commit it creates .rsync folders under my custom addon folders in the original location (c:\servername\1) but when I click Push, it copies the custom addon folders but without the .rsync subfolders to the Remote folder (c:\servername\2) so does this mean I shouldn't be uploading the .rsync subfolders to the webserver?

How does one go about setting the mirrors correctly? I download at 0-26 kb/s at the moment, which is ridiculous and updating the mirrors do jack all for me. Currently looking at the least 6 hours for acex update *_*