Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

Six Updater: Install/Update mods, missions. Delta patching. Server browser, and more!

Thanks! It's up on the network.

Also happy it's a package now, iirc was separate before indeed :P

Did you install and run the original SIX Updater? Play withSIX does not support the legacy sixupdater urls yet.

Edited by Sickboy

Trying to not use it. SU eats a lot of CPU and memory resources, starts slow like windows 95 (It's not joke, win7/8 loads faster than SU!), uses a lot of disk space for it simple job (including .pack dir). No idea why .NET was used for non-commercial app with no time limits.

Yup, that's where Play withSIX comes into play: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?138444-Play-withSIX-Community-Preview-Evolution-of-SIX-Launcher-and-in-time-also-SU

---------- Post added at 16:40 ---------- Previous post was at 16:38 ----------

The diskspace usage for modfolders is explained here; http://getsatisfaction.withsix.com/withsix/topics/why_does_it_use_nearly_double_disk_space

None are relevant to the choice of using .NET. Why is it used? Because we like it and believe it's a great choice for our needs.

I know reasons for using so much disk space... It's just not comfortable for me (Just my opinion, no offense) and there is no option to automaticaly delete .pack dir after update. And that's not solution to speed up update because SU will convert my mods to SU-mods on the next update process. If you update ACE that becames the hell.

Because we like it

This is the key thing - "WE"

You - the developer

Me - the software user

If you should to develop the program for the shortest time and get the money for you job - it's really good solution. Minimum time - maximum money. Something like "Rapid Application Development" by the Borland. Maximum security - minimum time for service and deploying. Basicaly there's no performance goals on that platform.

Software developer doesn't care corporate end-user's hardware and corporate end-user doesn't care hardware because it bought by the company. In case of home user the situation is a bit different: in most cases the PC has been bought by user's money and there's no projects which demand critical development time.

I'm really ready to wait 1-2-3 months but want to get high performance app with fast start (one mouse click - app is opened and ready on "OnLeftMouseButtonUp" event :)) and low resources consumption in the updating process. Commit charge >250 MB with 60-100% CPU usage and ~20-50% kernel mode is not good for "addon downloader". I'll prefer to use rsync directly via command or something like Total Commander (or any other fast native FTP client) if addons are on FTP server.

Thanks a lot.

You're of course free to have that opinion.

In this case, performance and memory issues are rather an issue in the design than in the language.

It's already much better in Play withSIX compared to SIX Updater, and we are working hard to further improve it.

The pack folder requirement probably will only change depending on additional protocols supported.

For rsync and zsync this design is by choice and technical necessity, especially for the official network.

(there's a suggestion open at: http://getsatisfaction.withsix.com/withsix/topics/allow_non_differencial_download_modfolders we're considering)

I hope that you will find it acceptable at some point, otherwise i'm afraid our apps might not be for you.

Edited by Sickboy

So after installing arma x and six updater and playing withSIX and having lots of fun with different mods, I encountered a problem.

I got arma x installed on my D Drive.. (I got C and D drive, C being SSD and D normal HDD). When installing mods through the updater for the game, my SSD keeps filling up and the mods take up the space. They get placed on the C drive in the "My Documents" folder. How can I move them and configure that all the downloads should go to the D drive? I've tried to find a solution how, but cant get any way. Does anyone know why this keeps happening?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum! Have you tried the top left corner > blue button with a down arrow > options > here you can change the game path and more!

For Play withSIX you can configure the game and mod paths in the Games section settings.

Click the ARMA 2 logo, or the Games tab to get there. This is being improved for the upcoming build.

thanks for the reply guys! Appreciate it. I only tried the config thing before and it showed up configuration for multiplayer server etc. Didnt see the path-thing when clicking onto the game logo untill now. Thanks for the help.

Since I won't use playwithsix till absolutely necessary or until you add a way for me to launch with all of the mods I want, I'm having a problem with normal Sixupdater every time I try to open Six it gives me an error: Six Updater GUI has stopped working, I looked around and apparently It means my version is not up to date but I doubt that since its the one i downloaded directly off of your site...

after updating Namalsk to 1.744 with six updater I always get the following error when connecting:

Script z\addons\dayz_code\compile\set_obj_dmg.sqf not found

I can connect and play nonetheless but my UI for food and drink are messed up and not working correctly :/

also I cannot find any Script z on my PC:confused:

any help?

after updating Namalsk to 1.744 with six updater I always get the following error when connecting:

Script z\addons\dayz_code\compile\set_obj_dmg.sqf not found

I can connect and play nonetheless but my UI for food and drink are messed up and not working correctly :/

also I cannot find any Script z on my PC:confused:

any help?

I was already afraid of it. Anyone a clue where to find the officially supported 1.7.4.4 version for DayZ Namalsk?

I think we´ve got to wait for Sumrak (he wanted to update Namalsk to 0.70 this weekend)

but it would be nice if you could revert Namalsk to 1.73 meanwhile (just to eliminate errors and so we can play at least on some servers).

btw I get the same errors with dayz commander so I think there´s no official Namalsk 1.744 support yet :P

I think we´ve got to wait for Sumrak (he wanted to update Namalsk to 0.70 this weekend)

but it would be nice if you could revert Namalsk to 1.73 meanwhile (just to eliminate errors and so we can play at least on some servers).

btw I get the same errors with dayz commander so I think there´s no official Namalsk 1.744 support yet :P

Lol, JoJo anyone ? :P NP, adding 1.7.3 files again as we speak. Live in a short while. Thanks for the info!

with some friend we started to use SixUpdater a couple of weeks ago as we sarted to play on ACE (better late than never!) and we find it very useful as it easily fixed any file mismatch error that popped up.

There is a "but" though since, as we are all located in Western Europe, the download speed were from another decade. For example, it took about 3 hours to download ACE suite through SU while it took half an hour at most downloading the same files on our own servers.

Would it be possible for us to host a mirror that would be detected by Six Updater?

Cheers and thanks a lot for your tools Sickboy!