Sign in to follow this  
roguetrooper

Why is John Rambo a.... rambo?

Why does 'Rambo' stand for brainless berzerk and destruction and storming into battle without foresight? For almost 30 years now there has been that topos.

Sure, he blows up a lot of things and esp in part one half the town ends up in a mess. But isn't he actually an elite warrior who carefully plans his actions and is always one step ahead of his enemies?

I think it is the pure number of enemies he is killing (later in the series) and his lone wolfing.

Surely you cant be serious....?

1 man takes out an army with bow, knife, and 1 handed machinegun -actually I see your point :p

Rambo stands more for doing something risky whilst better knowing without really any care of survival...Rambo does nitz even think of duty...his motive is more of a persnal matter revenge, loyalty to Colonel Trautman but in the same moment mistrustr againt the military itself.

Rambo is a bit too complex to describe as numb minded with a knife in mouth into bare hand combat against the whole russian army.

But in fact is can stand for some stubborn runnign against a wall single handed whilst intimidating the oponent by effectivity...

Even when sucessfull...this behaviour is not well acceptet in games like ArmA where a lone wolf attack, albeit sucessfull, may compromise the rest of the team. Thats the point...ArmA II = teamplay while Rambo = lonewolf (someone only interested in his statistics sacrificing others and not caring for the one wanting to hitch a hike at the road side)

Rambos usually go alone conmsidering team mates or even A.I. as a burden...unsing mosty captured vehicles and often equiped with captured weaponry.

I could call a few names...but that would be too much, but lately this player type kis fllign up the public gaming...obviously due to a lack of treamwork ability...thats not needed on public.

Worst thing to happen is when you have to realize that you got voted Commander in warfare but you're just a basebuilder for 24 Rambos not listening to you. That's what currently destroys MP gameplay for me.

Edited by Beagle

Well the first movie wasnt the stereotypical 'rambo'ing' that we know today.

He fought only several individuals, usually one at a time, using cleverness, and the one time he did take on multiple people was in a hand to hand fight at the police station, which, lets face it, arent at all in shape so it makes sense for a battle-hardened commando to beat them.

And ofcourse, we know that he did work in a team in Vietnam, because he talked about the ones who died and the one who he tried to visit back home.

Circumstances put him on his own against a group of people, forced and not by his own will.

Only in the later movies, when he gets sent off on his own and the shirt comes off and he hipshoots an MG does it set the tone of the Rambo we know today :p

Though enjoyable action flicks, they are nothing more and i have to say i prefer the original movie which also contained a message about the treatment of combat veterans of Vietnam which i liked. In general the original movie is a lot more thoughtful.

But, Rambo isnt the only movie portraying lone wolf commando's as uber-killing machines, as there are several others. Rambo however is the most well-known and therefor his name is stamped on each and every one character that fits the stereotype as a name for a certain behaviour and code of conduct.

Disaster pretty much answered the question, in almost the same words I myself would have used.

Generally, the term refers to someone who is "lone-wolfing" or going out on their own trying to take on what seems like an entire Army. They apparently have no concept or care of teamwork, rarely attack with a real plan of action, etc. In modern times, calling someone a "Rambo" is often an insult, but in few cases can be meant as a complement.

The first Rambo movie was nothing like those that followed. The first movie was in many aspects at least "plausible" or "possible", and it had a good storyline to back it up. There were still some nasty inconsistencies and stereo-typical portrayals of various people, but I think the movie overall was pretty good at the time. The later movies though went completely against reality or possibility, to the point where it was almost retarded. Worth watching if you liked visual effects, explosion, and a variety of weaponry, but that was about it. I've seen fourth-graders write better storylines. The exception being the latest Rambo, which actually wasn't bad at all. Maybe not as good as the first in regards to the story itself, but I think the visual effects were more enjoyable.

And yes, there have been many other solo-warriors in the movies. It would take years to list them all, with literally thousands of them being made in just the past 3 decades or so. But Rambo was always one of the most popular, and has also been one of the most parodied.

WeirdAlYankovic.jpg

People who use "rambo" as a noun or verb in a negative sense don't know anything about Rambo.

I'm one of the few that read rambo and rambo 2 before I watched the movies, maybe I'm the only one?

As other have pointed out the first rambo is different. The movie is very true to the book (as I remember, long time ago), the difference is that in the book you know what he is thinking about and what he is going through in his head.

That first movie is based on that book, which is claimed to be based on some true story.

The rest of the movies are made up and all action. They are the basis for the term "rambo" in games.

People who use "rambo" as a noun or verb in a negative sense don't know anything about Rambo.

I disagree :)

The first film was "First Blood" not Rambo. Then came Rambo, and a bunnyhopping dolphin-diving nutcase was born.

If you're suggesting that there is an earlier, more robust Rambo from a book or something, then you're most probably regarded as out of date Rambo-wise ;) :D you'd be like one of those guys who says "but a peanut is not actually a nut..." to almost everyone, a peanut/Rambo is a nut.

I'm one of the few that read rambo and rambo 2 before I watched the movies, maybe I'm the only one?

And I too have read both, although only the first one before seeing the movie.

Kinda silly that Morrell wrote Rambo 2 since he had to write it based on the movie

since in the First Blood novel Rambo dies at the end.

I like the Rambo movies, the first and last the best, the two in the middle are a bit weaker but still great enterntainment. And certainly better than the Vin Diesel or Michael Bay retardness HW spews out nowadays.

The extended cut version of the last Rambo is a bit better than the orginal cut.

I didnt realise there was a book of First Blood. Now i cant rest untill i have it :)

And yet another useless thread..

...and yet another useless post.

People are having fun, so what's the problem? Maybe Rambo killed one of your relatives or sumthin'?

Abs

‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪wat

I preferred the film from the previous year that was very similar but had a better plot and cast.

Death Hunt (1981) staring Charles Bronson and Lee Marvin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Hunt

I think Rambo, First Blood (1982) was a copy of this, designed to appeal to a younger market? They are very similar just set at different times / places.

I preferred the film from the previous year that was very similar but had a better plot and cast.

Death Hunt (1981) staring Charles Bronson and Lee Marvin

Great movie. Watched it all the time as a kid and looked up to those guys as manly men :D

Watch it now and not so much, but a great movie nevertheless.

In two movies of the series, Rambo perfoms some pretty intensive battlefield surgery... on himself. Fortunately, as we find out in Rambo: First Blood Part II, Rambo cross trained as a Medic.

In First Blood Rambo falls through a big pine tree and cuts his arm. Rambo uses some thread from a canvas sack and stiches himself up.

In Rambo III Rambo receives wood shrapnel in the side, it goes right through. After finding safety in a cave he pushes the wood through and out the front. He then empties gun powder from a bullet into the hole and lights it, sealing the wound.

list of films

In Rambo III Rambo receives wood shrapnel in the side, it goes right through. After finding safety in a cave he pushes the wood through and out the front. He then empties gun powder from a bullet into the hole and lights it, sealing the wound.

That scene was pretty fucked up :p

As other have pointed out the first rambo is different. The movie is very true to the book (as I remember, long time ago), the difference is that in the book you know what he is thinking about and what he is going through in his head.

That first movie is based on that book, which is claimed to be based on some true story.

I never read it, but wasn't he like a mass murderer in the first book?

In the film he just kills a couple of people by pushing them off the road in a car chase.(and is partly responsible for a guy falling out of a helicopter)

Its my favorite Rambo movie, in the rest of them hes more like a comic book superhero.

Edited by sparks50

In the film he just kills a couple of people by pushing them off the road in a car chase.(and is partly responsible for a guy falling out of a helicopter)

Fixed that for you. The first film is a classic. The rest are great if you're in a daft mood / drinking beer.

I think it is the pure number of enemies he is killing (later in the series) and his lone wolfing.

possible reasons:

he got house ban i a beer tent near munich :hang: